HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

The Evolution of the Carter trade

Old
09-19-2011, 05:34 AM
Flyerfan808

vCash: 500
The Carter trade HAD to happen I think most of us had already known this going into the offseason. I think we got a very good return for him in Voracek and Couturier and 3rd Rounder. I liked Carter and I wish him well in Columbus.

The Richards trade, on the other hand... I'm not too happy about.

Flyerfan808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:47 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 View Post
The Carter trade HAD to happen I think most of us had already known this going into the offseason. I think we got a very good return for him in Voracek and Couturier and 3rd Rounder. I liked Carter and I wish him well in Columbus.

On what grounds are you making this claim? I'm assuming you're implying the salary cap was the reason...

Many of us, myself included, spent all offseason showing that it was extremely possible to sign a goaltender AND keep both Richards and Carter (it probably would have meant Carle was traded, imo). Homer even said this week that he could have kept both of them if he wanted to.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 09:09 AM
Jester

Quote:

False.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 09:35 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

So how bout that Simmonds, Voracek, Schenn and Couturier...gonna be a fun camp

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:29 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Carter suffers bruised foot

Irony...

Quote:
Blue Jackets center Jeff Carter is not expected to participate in today's training camp practice, but the club is breathing a sigh of relief this morning. Carter's right foot, struck with a puck during Sunday's owner's tournament, is bruised, not broken.

GM Scott Howson said he's expected to practice on Tuesday.
-- Aaron Portzline

http://www.bluejacketsxtra.com/conte...t-a-break.html

Old
09-19-2011, 10:39 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Give this man some milk. How many times do you have to have your feet broken before you get skates made from steel?

09-20-2011, 09:07 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

More like a cocktail of Boniva, Forteo and Fosamax

Old
09-20-2011, 10:17 AM
SilkyMitts

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
False.
er. A ton of people speculated that carter would be traded.
so
True.

SilkyMitts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

That doesn't mean it HAD to happen/was the only way.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:41 AM
Adam Warlock

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
On what grounds are you making this claim? I'm assuming you're implying the salary cap was the reason...

Many of us, myself included, spent all offseason showing that it was extremely possible to sign a goaltender AND keep both Richards and Carter (it probably would have meant Carle was traded, imo). Homer even said this week that he could have kept both of them if he wanted to.
I think the problem with that is Carle is only signed through this year. Trading him to make room for Bryz would have worked in terms of cap hit for this year, but they were also committing that cap hit for another 9, as well as 51 mil for him over that time. Trading Carter alleviated 5+ mil in cap space for the duration of Bryz's contract and 60+ mil the organization owed him. I think in terms of making space for a goalie Carter made a lot more sense to move.

Now, you could argue they could have gone after Vokoun or another goalie that would have been a lot cheaper...but the organization was set on addressing the goalie situation and went after the best one possible. Like it or not, in the organizations eyes Carter was the odd center out, had the potential for a great return, and would clear the space they needed for Bryz long term. In return they solidified their goaltending with arguably a top 5 goalie, they gain a young natural winger (which Carter wasn't but expected to play) with potential, and were able to draft a future star center. Even if Vorecek only puts up 40-50 points...you factor in the impact Bryz could have and it really is a gain for now and in the future.

I think the Carter trade made a ton of sense and applaud Homer for it..but like Flyerfan808 said though, the Richards trade still confuses me.

Adam Warlock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:37 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilkyMitts View Post
er. A ton of people speculated that carter would be traded.
so
True.
What the heck does people's speculation have to do with whether or not they HAD to trade one of them?

Yes, tons of people did speculate that. Just as tons of people showed it literally did not HAVE to happen in order to fit in Bryzgalov.

Quote:
NHL.COM: At what point did you realize you had to trade Carter and Richards to create enough cap space to sign Bryzgalov? Could you have just moved one?

HOLMGREN: I think we probably could have done it by keeping them both, too. It just got to the point where some things that came up that looked good for us, that we liked now and liked down the road. The process, the things we were looking at, piecing it together. It's going to be a different team. We changed our whole thing; we changed our philosophy, basically, with allocating dollars to that position. We haven't done that in a while. With that came these other things.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=5...vid=nhl-search

I'm not some butt-hurt fan over the trades. I'm just a guy preaching the truth! haha Nothing NEEDED to happen with either of them (purely from a dollars and cents perspective).

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote