Notices

Training Camp Impressions

Old
09-18-2011, 10:53 AM
JetFan4Ever

vCash: 678
Quote:
Originally Posted by Primetimey View Post
I really find it funny that people don't think kids walking in and out of the aisle so often is a problem. Please, let me know where your seats are at the MTS Centre for a Jets game and I will be more than pleased to walk in front of you ten times during a period since it isn't a problem.
Primetimey - This may be addressed in other posts (I haven't read to the end yet) but I would suggest that most kids won't be at the MTS Centre to see the Jets play. Practice is the only time they will have an opportunity to see the players. They're kids relax, I'm sure they won't be out for every practice and even if they are so what it's practice.

JetFan4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:44 AM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianL View Post
Perhaps his mind was elsewhere. From the Sun:

ANTROPOV EXCUSED: Jets forward Nik Antropov was the first player to hit the ice on Saturday, to a rousing ovation, but he was on a plane to Toronto by early afternoon so he could attend the funeral service for close friend and former teammate Igor Korolev. Antopov is expected to rejoin the Jets in time for Monday’s workouts.
I'd have to think Nik's mind wasn't even there under the circumstances. He and Igor were very close. Surprised that he didn't ask for and get a pardon to miss yesterday's practice.

Totally unfair to evaluate Nik's performance yesterday.

AndersUlfBobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 12:09 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Hard to care about hockey when something like that happen. I hope his hip is healed and when the season comes he can get back to being a 60 point player.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 04:07 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Sounds like our boy Mark Scheifele had myself a decent day at Jets camp day #2. He got a goal in the Group "B" vs Group "C" scrimmage and was robbed on a breakaway for a second.

Group "B" won 3-1. Other scores for B were Machacek and Koper. Wheeler scored for group "C".

Old
09-18-2011, 04:12 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
Sounds like our boy Mark Scheifele had myself a decent day at Jets camp day #2. He got a goal in the Group "B" vs Group "C" scrimmage and was robbed on a breakaway for a second.

Group "B" won 3-1. Other scores for B were Machacek and Koper. Wheeler scored for group "C".
Mark's really been exciting me. I've backed the pick since day one (though I was surprised) but his play has really instilled confidence in me that he can be a good player for this team when his time comes.

I'm interested to see what Chevy will do if Mark makes a strong case to crack the opening day lineup. I'm not saying that I think he will, but it'll be interesting to see if they hold off and allow him to play in barrie or if like many other of our top draft picks he starts day one. I think it'll give us a good indication of there mentality towards how they want to develop players.
If I was a betting man, I'd say that he would have to totally blow them away for him to not start in Barrie.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 04:21 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
Mark's really been exciting me. I've backed the pick since day one (though I was surprised) but his play has really instilled confidence in me that he can be a good player for this team when his time comes.

I'm interested to see what Chevy will do if Mark makes a strong case to crack the opening day lineup. I'm not saying that I think he will, but it'll be interesting to see if they hold off and allow him to play in barrie or if like many other of our top draft picks he starts day one. I think it'll give us a good indication of there mentality towards how they want to develop players.
If I was a betting man, I'd say that he would have to totally blow them away for him to not start in Barrie.
I agree. He will have to continue to blow them away to not be sent back to the Colts. However, if he continues to impress, I can see them holding off until about 5 or 6 games into the season just to give him a taste for the big leagues. Would give him even more of an incentive to work on his game in the OHL. It's sort of like MTS/Shaw with TSN Jets. Give them a taste of the action, then make them work to make it back.

Old
09-18-2011, 04:25 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 942
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersUlfBobby View Post
I agree. He will have to continue to blow them away to not be sent back to the Colts. However, if he continues to impress, I can see them holding off until about 5 or 6 games into the season just to give him a taste for the big leagues. Would give him even more of an incentive to work on his game in the OHL. It's sort of like MTS/Shaw with TSN Jets. Give them a taste of the action, then make them work to make it back.
Agreed. I fully expect Mark to get his 9 games this year. I think it's key to his development to play in the NHL to understand what he needs to improve upon while in Barrie. I don't think those games will come at the begining of the season however. I think the first month you ride your best guys all the time to try and establish who you are as a team. I see him coming in and playing before the all-star games in the dog days of the season, where a little bit of energy and excitment can help a team.

wpgsilver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 04:30 PM
AndersUlfBobby
Just be patient!

Quote:
Agreed. I fully expect Mark to get his 9 games this year. I think it's key to his development to play in the NHL to understand what he needs to improve upon while in Barrie. I don't think those games will come at the begining of the season however. I think the first month you ride your best guys all the time to try and establish who you are as a team. I see him coming in and playing before the all-star games in the dog days of the season, where a little bit of energy and excitment can help a team.
Yet, Chevy comments today that no one will be rushed into the line-up.

http://video.jets.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=123611

Old
09-18-2011, 08:33 PM
The Maltais Falcon

Quote:
You can't call up a player from juniors during the season once he's been sent down, unless it can be argued it's an "emergency" callup. If he plays his <9 games, it will be at the very start of the season.

The Maltais Falcon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:15 PM
Jet
Drop the danged puck

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evan View Post
Methinks that none of Cheveldayoff's UFA signings this offseason will make the opening day roster (unless injuries occur)
Glass, Wellwood and Jones will all be on this team. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Jets management doesn't strike me as ones to go out and sign NHL FA's and give them NHL dollars to not play.

09-18-2011, 10:33 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Glass, Wellwood and Jones will all be on this team. You are fooling yourself if you think otherwise.

Jets management doesn't strike me as ones to go out and sign NHL FA's and give them NHL dollars to not play.
This is the one that should worry people.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:35 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duke49 View Post
Agreed.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:55 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
Quote:
I don't really intend to worry about a 7th d-man.

Sweech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 10:56 PM
sipowicz
The Original

vCash: 1989
Quote:

Referring to UFA Randy Jones, hope a spot isn't reserved for him at the expense of a better D-man like MARK FLOOD.

If Flood does indeed make the team he will probably be the lone ex-Manitoba Moose to make the jump to the Jets.

sipowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-18-2011, 11:12 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I don't really intend to worry about a 7th d-man.
I usually don't either, but injuries could very well happen. That's what worries me.

Old
09-19-2011, 04:01 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by sipowicz View Post
Referring to UFA Randy Jones, hope a spot isn't reserved for him at the expense of a better D-man like MARK FLOOD.

If Flood does indeed make the team he will probably be the lone ex-Manitoba Moose to make the jump to the Jets.

Mark Flood is and will remain a career AHLer. There's far better prospects in our system than him.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:03 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
I usually don't either, but injuries could very well happen. That's what worries me.

I'd be more worried about a top 6 forward getting hurt for an extended period of time (not including Fehr). If that happens we're in worse shape than if Jones plays a handful of games.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:11 AM
PensFan6687

Woh woh woh! Lets not get ahead of ourselves people. Mark will be a lock for 9 games? Lets see how he does with the big boys in preseason action before we even go there. Like seriously. A rookie tournament is nothing compared to playing with veteran NHL talent that want to earn promotions, make, or maintain their roster spot(s) with their respective big clubs.

PensFan6687 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:29 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by PensFan6687 View Post
Woh woh woh! Lets not get ahead of ourselves people. Mark will be a lock for 9 games? Lets see how he does with the big boys in preseason action before we even go there. Like seriously. A rookie tournament is nothing compared to playing with veteran NHL talent that want to earn promotions, make, or maintain their roster spot(s) with their respective big clubs.

I agree with this, I am in the camp for him staying for the nin games if he shows well the rest of camp tho.

But isn't it great hes doing well and that we're arguing over keeping him around rather than what a bust he is and haw Chevy crapped the bed? Cuz that's the alternative...

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 09:39 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
I'd be more worried about a top 6 forward getting hurt for an extended period of time (not including Fehr). If that happens we're in worse shape than if Jones plays a handful of games.
No kidding. One thing Atlanta was fairly good at was avoiding injuries the last couple of years. Hopefully that continues.

Old
09-19-2011, 09:56 AM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Any news on whether Koper will be signed?

As far as I understand it, he's here on a tryout, not as a prospect.

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:18 AM
JetsIce*

was at mts centre - private practice/ renos

Was at the MTS Centre Sunday. I've been doing some work inside the MTS Centre for the start of the season and had a chance to watch most of the practice.

NOTES:

- Dustin Byfuglien doesn't look that big on the ice. Which was surprising. I thought he would stand out.

- Ron Hainsey/Tobias Enstrom - Not knowing the names/#'s I thought #6 was Enstrom thinking he was a smooth skater that played the puck well. Well I was wrong. Surprising it was Ron Hainsey and he looked to be the best defensemen in all 3 practices. I was hearing all off season that he is a bit overrated and I just can't believe he doesn't produce more points. He is basically everything Oleg Tverdovsky was soppose to be for the Jets 1.0 - He is an incredible skater. And make an amazing pass for a goal. And is basically everywhere in our own end. He should be on our top pairing.

- Evander Kane. Strong skater, very, very hard working player. I can see what people are saying that he needs to shoot more. Cause it is one the first things you notice is that he never shoots.

- Chris Mason #1 goalie? Easily top goalie in all practices. In drills he was sharp.

- Andrew Ladd. Not much to say about him. He basically went throughout the entire practice just going through the motions. Didn't stand out in any way.

- Nik Antropov. He is going to be a load in the middle. Very noticing in practice and in drills he can really move well in front of the net. I see tons of tip or rebounding goals for him.

- Bryan Little. Fast and hard working. In drills his skills really came out. Fun to watch.

Also some notes around the MTS Centre. The first thing people will notice is the new floor. No more cement floor. It's like a marble plastered layering. Looks like.

The LED Ribbon says WELCOME TO THE HOME OF YOUR WINNIPEG JETS and during the game the clock will have a floating Jets logo.

I also noticed on Saturday when I was there that there are some cool Jets logos on every door at the MTS Centre. Looks classy.

Other than that. I also noticed that beer is $7.50. Not sure if it was from the old Moose pricing or that has been changed.

I also noticed that there were some men puting up some gigantic Jets Banners. Looked amazing with the lighting behind.

There is still some Moose signs in around the arena. Jets Gear store, washrooms, some advertising,etc. Hope they get rid of them soon.

JetsIce* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:35 AM
Blasto

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetFan4Ever View Post
Primetimey - This may be addressed in other posts (I haven't read to the end yet) but I would suggest that most kids won't be at the MTS Centre to see the Jets play. Practice is the only time they will have an opportunity to see the players. They're kids relax, I'm sure they won't be out for every practice and even if they are so what it's practice.
Soooooooo we talkin' bout practice?

Blasto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:24 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Evander Kane shoot more? You've gotta be kidding.... The problem with Evander is he always shoots into the crest on the goalie's jersey.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 12:26 PM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroFist View Post
Evander Kane shoot more? You've gotta be kidding.... The problem with Evander is he always shoots into the crest on the goalie's jersey.
I was wondering the same thing. Some of you guys need to do a tad bit of research first. Kane had 39 more shots then the next closest forward on the team. The kid shoots plenty, he just needs to work on his power and accuracy.