HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Question from a Habs fan

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2005, 03:14 AM
sensens

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by I.M. Fletcher
I think the problem with the interference was that he pulled theos stick with him, which is exactly where the puck went. Vermette was moving as slowly as possible out of the crease, he was pushed, but he made it much worse than it was, similar to kovys play. I dont think its arguable
Maybe there are some angles of it that I haven't seen, but I've seen a couple and it looks pretty borderline at best. If the Habs defencemen are going to check players into the crease then there are going to be consequences. I can't vouch for the Kovalev play, but if he actually knocked Emery over then that's quite a bit different than what Vermette did. Vermette may not have vacated the crease as quickly as he could have, but he was pretty clearly out of the crease when the shot came in... it's possible that he might have 'gotten away with one' in terms of residual interference with Théodore's stick, but to my mind it's not exactly an open-and-shut case of interference.

Old
10-12-2005, 07:43 AM
RTWAP*

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensens
it's possible that he might have 'gotten away with one' in terms of residual interference with Théodore's stick, but to my mind it's not exactly an open-and-shut case of interference.
Exactly. As a fan who loves to complain about the refs (what fan doesn't?, at times) I divide my complaints into

"How the fsck did he miss/call that. He's effing blind!"

OR

"He really should/shouldn't have called that. The replay showed what really happened".

I thought the play in question from last night's game was clearly one that Habs fans should be putting in the latter category. The judgement call about how much he was pushed into the crease and how quickly (and cleanly) he vacated it are very much open to debate.

Considering the preceding defensive action (shoving Vermette) was large and obvious, and any possible subsequent foul was more a matter of Vermette extricating himself from Theodore maybe a half-second too slow. It's pretty hard to find evidence in the latter that is significant enough to cancel out the former.

Last edited by RTWAP*: 10-12-2005 at 08:17 AM.
Old
10-12-2005, 08:19 AM
SensGod

Send a message via MSN to SensGod
There's a difference between running the net at full speed trying to take the goalie out (what Kovalev did), and being pushed into the crease and then getting out asap (what Vermette did).

there's a slight difference.

I don't like goalie contact in any shape or form. It's not fair for the goalies.

in today's, incidental contact is allowed...so goalies need to deal with it.

Old
10-12-2005, 10:32 AM
habfan4

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
"There was contact,'' Theodore said. "Yes, he got out of the way, but it put me out of position.''

Borderline call. The Montreal player put him there, and Theodore even admits that Vermette got out of the way.
The intial contact aside.

I think if Theodore had it to do over again, he would make contact with Vermette in an effort to make the save (the puck passed between the two). If Jose slides a foot to the left he would have toppled Vermette and had a better chance of convincing the official that an interference call was merited.

Old
10-12-2005, 11:32 AM
Egil

Kovalev did to Emery what Vermette did to the net in the Leafs game. Skate in, by their own making, offbalance and backwards into the net/goalie. Vermette got a penalty for his, so Kovalev got one for his.

Vermette barely touched Theo, and was pushed in, so no call is waranted.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:40 PM
GoneAway

vCash:
By the way thanks to you Sens fans for great input and mature answers.

It's my first timeposting on another teams board and I as a little worried that I'd get flamed so fast back to the Habs board.

Hats off to you guys

Closed Thread