HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2011, 06:43 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

vCash: 500
Read this quote by Staal on Friday. Used the word "normal" which seemed kind of a curious choice of words. He was asked about the knee but seemed to answer for both of his ailments. Everything's back to normal.

Quote:
Marc Staal, on the leg problems that hampered him late last season: “The first few weeks, it was still sore and a little bit weak, but there’s no effects now. It feels fine, it feels strong and I’m on the ice now. Everything’s back to normal.”
http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...of-brad-richar

Staal skated in the Torts torture skates on Friday and Saturday with no issues. He practiced yesterday.

Concussions are part of every sport. The Rangers have their share of concussions with Brad Richards. Derek Stepan suffered a concussion in the NCAA final loss to Boston College. Chris Kreider suffered a concussion in his freshman year against Merrimack. JT Miller suffered a concussion sometime in his career. He was one of the players who disclosed at the scouting combine about having a concussion. Miller wore Mark Messier's helmet at the Rangers prospects camp and at Traverse City

http://www.cascadeicehockey.com/index.php

Old
09-19-2011, 07:11 AM
RangerBoy
1994 FOREVER

Miller in prospects camp wearing the Messier helmet

Old
09-19-2011, 07:20 AM
RGY
(Jagr68NYR94Leetch)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerBoy View Post
Read this quote by Staal on Friday. Used the word "normal" which seemed kind of a curious choice of words. He was asked about the knee but seemed to answer for both of his ailments. Everything's back to normal.

http://www.nydailynews.com/blogs/ran...of-brad-richar

Staal skated in the Torts torture skates on Friday and Saturday with no issues. He practiced yesterday.

Concussions are part of every sport. The Rangers have their share of concussions with Brad Richards. Derek Stepan suffered a concussion in the NCAA final loss to Boston College. Chris Kreider suffered a concussion in his freshman year against Merrimack. JT Miller suffered a concussion sometime in his career. He was one of the players who disclosed at the scouting combine about having a concussion. Miller wore Mark Messier's helmet at the Rangers prospects camp and at Traverse City

http://www.cascadeicehockey.com/index.php
i was at the merrimack game and saw the hit happen...kreider was dancing around everyone throughout tge first period but towards the end of it Edmonton Oilers draft pick caught him with his head down

Old
09-19-2011, 07:45 AM
Levitate

Quote:
Originally Posted by abev View Post
Now that the Rangers have come clean the NHL should take action against the Rangers for knowingly endangering Staal's health. The Rangers circumvented the league's concussion policy and are not only responsible to the league but to the individual (Staal) as well.
They did not. Staal passed the baseline tests the NHL mandated before he returned to the ice.

Old
09-19-2011, 01:22 PM
abev
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
They did not. Staal passed the baseline tests the NHL mandated before he returned to the ice.
The NHL does not have a baseline test for a knee injury.

Old
09-19-2011, 02:31 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
Drop the God complex. I've been watching hockey for over 35 years. That's why I don't think the world ends when you lose somebody like Marc Staal. He's not one of the best defenseman in the game. He's a guy who has played a lot of hockey vs. other teams best lines. However, he's hardly on the level of a Chara or Lidstrom. You don't mail in the season because you lose Marc Staal. People on this board act like he's the savior of the team. Lundqvist is the savior of this team. Without him they don't make the playoffs since he put on the uniform.
Brother, did you ever hit the nail on the head about Staal. Some fans on here talk about him like he's Bobby Orr, ridiculous. We'll be just fine with or without him. If it's serious and he misses some time, its the old cliche, another persons misfortune is an opportunity for someone else.

Old
09-19-2011, 02:47 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

I wouldn't poo poo losing Staal for any significant time.

He's not Bobby Orr or let alone the best defenseman in the league, but he's the Rangers best D-man. And it's probably not close.

Luckily for them it's early.

Old
09-19-2011, 02:47 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
Brother, did you ever hit the nail on the head about Staal. Some fans on here talk about him like he's Bobby Orr, ridiculous. We'll be just fine with or without him. If it's serious and he misses some time, its the old cliche, another persons misfortune is an opportunity for someone else.
funny.

you might want to ask the other gm's in the league about this.

while staal may not be in the top 5 dmen in the entire league, hes certainly our best defenseman- and one of the best shutdown defenders in the eastern conference.

losing him for any length of time hurts us. period.

Old
09-19-2011, 02:56 PM
BrooklynRangersFan
Change is good.

Gah.

Quote:
stevezipay Steve Zipay
Marc Staal not on ice at all today. Torts had said yesterday he was improving

AGrossRecord Andrew Gross
Marc Staal not skating today at Rangers camp.

NYDNRangers Jesse Spector
Marc Staal not on ice today, even for post-scrimmage workout. The plot thickens.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:00 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardsequalscup View Post
Drop the God complex. I've been watching hockey for over 35 years. That's why I don't think the world ends when you lose somebody like Marc Staal. He's not one of the best defenseman in the game. He's a guy who has played a lot of hockey vs. other teams best lines. However, he's hardly on the level of a Chara or Lidstrom. You don't mail in the season because you lose Marc Staal. People on this board act like he's the savior of the team. Lundqvist is the savior of this team. Without him they don't make the playoffs since he put on the uniform.
35 years and you haven't grasped the concept of defensive depth as it relates to injuries? Which other defensemen on the roster do you anticipate will fill the void left by Marc Staal, who plays top minutes each night against the best forwards in the league? Our 2 rookie defensemen from last season with one season experience or Steve Eminger? This team is void of veteran defensemen... When Pronger goes out last season, the Flyers still have a veteran like Kimmo Timmonen, and players like Coburn & Mezsaros who each have 6 years experience in the NHL.... So you bump Ryan McDonagh (40 games NHL experience) to the 1st pairing, what does that leave the rest of the D pairs looking like?

McDonagh - Girardi
MDZ - Sauer
Erixon - Eminger
Valentenko

?????

That leaves you with 2 more rookies with zero NHL experience (in addition to the 2 guys with just one year under their belt), and a player who struggles defensively on your 2nd pairing (MDZ). No problem, right?

There is a big difference between losing a Marc Staal type player on a roster with inexperienced and young defenseman, and losing Marc Staal on a roster that has good veteran depth and experience.... We are the former, and it's a legitimate concern... Do you mail the season in? No.... I will continue to watch & enjoy the team regardless of who is injured, but to pretend like losing Staal for any significant period of time won't have a significant impact on this team's ability to be competitive, is quite shortsighted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewbackatu View Post
See above ^.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:01 PM
Levitate

Damn. After all the jokes I made at Crosby's expense...

Old
09-19-2011, 03:02 PM
NYR Viper

If he is STILL feeling symptoms, then this is something that won't get any better any time soon. They may be looking at a Crosby-like time-table for Staal.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:13 PM
NYROrtsFan

This is ****ing ********...

It's a joke that any family member would do that to another. I know people want to hype up the whole idea of it shouldn't matter on the ice, ala the Primeau brothers, but that is bs...

Bottom line is that you figure Marc is gonna have kids, so you are messing with your nieces and nephews well being and not only just your brother.

You don't avoid the hit, but you just don't give the next level effort of driving him through the ice.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
You don't avoid the hit, but you just don't give the next level effort of driving him through the ice.
Do you even have a brother? Of course you drive him through the ice.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:17 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYROrtsFan View Post
This is ****ing ********...

It's a joke that any family member would do that to another. I know people want to hype up the whole idea of it shouldn't matter on the ice, ala the Primeau brothers, but that is bs...

Bottom line is that you figure Marc is gonna have kids, so you are messing with your nieces and nephews well being and not only just your brother.

I'm serious when I say want Rupp, Prust to rough up Eric.

It was kind of surprising at the time of the hit that none of the Rangers really did anything.

He went high with the elbow and it was dirty to me.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:19 PM
NYROrtsFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thordic View Post
Do you even have a brother? Of course you drive him through the ice.
Yeah I do...7 years younger.

And I understand there are some people who just hate their brothers after years of torment but I don't have one of those situations so I just can't see doing that. I would have made the hit, but definitely not go the next level of trying to finish him.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:20 PM
Thordic
StraightOuttaConklin

vCash: 822
It has nothing to do with hating your brother.

It has everything to do with being competitive with someone you've been competing with your entire life.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:25 PM
allstar3970

Quote:
Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues View Post
I'm serious when I say want Rupp, Prust to rough up Eric.

Let it go. I'm sure they've worked it out on their own.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:26 PM
Blueline Bomber
Expectations - high

Where exactly are those who see an elbow getting that from? The hit was shoulder to shoulder.

Here's our beatwriter's writeup:

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...s-brother-eric

Old
09-19-2011, 03:33 PM
Drewbackatu*

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynRangersFan View Post
Gah.
I think we can all agree that the player we can least afford to lose is Lundqvist. In so far as Staal is concerned, you have to play the hand you're dealt. Management will have to look for some experience d-man to fill the void while Staal is on the shelf. What else is there to say about it?

Old
09-19-2011, 03:37 PM
NYR Viper

Do they possibly sign McCabe? He is still available and would be an okay 3rd pairing vet.....

He would probably look good on the PP opposite Richards at least....

Old
09-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Levitate

No McCabe was terrible even as a 3rd pairing guy. He cannot play even strength defense

Old
09-19-2011, 03:40 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Wait. Did he have symptoms during the Summer?

If so, and they knew about it, why didn't they sign a veteran d-man?

Concussions are tricky. It could take half a season for all we know.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
BroadwayBlues
oxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxo

Quote:
Originally Posted by allstar3970 View Post

Let it go. I'm sure they've worked it out on their own.
No I don't have to "let it go". K?

Doesn't change what he did.

Old
09-19-2011, 03:41 PM
wolfgaze
Interesting Cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
Do they possibly sign McCabe? He is still available and would be an okay 3rd pairing vet.....

He would probably look good on the PP opposite Richards at least....
I thought he was fine the first couple games, then below average for the rest of the year... He doesn't have the foot speed to keep pace, especially in the playoffs.... Definitely no interest on my part.

Closed Thread