HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Prospects
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Prospects Discuss hockey prospects from all over the world and the NHL Draft.

The Brandon Saad Thread

Old
09-19-2011, 12:55 AM
CerebralGenesis

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freudian View Post
It's training camp. Fans of every team are going to go crazy over their new guys. Based on nothing. I'm reading very optimistic stuff about Zibanejad, Landeskog, Larsson and RNH this week. Add Saad to the pile.

It is most likely not a reflection on how these kids are amazing in camp. It's a reflection of how much people on HF miss hockey.
This freudian comment gets my approval

CerebralGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:41 AM
thestonedkoala
Everyone! PANIC!

Who would have Saad replaced?

thestonedkoala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:00 AM
BluechipBulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingLB View Post
You have to remember, he was ranked that high at the beginning of the year. It was his consistency and work ethic that made him drop. Something your not gonna see in one viewing or maybe even in a weeks worth of camp.
Consistency? Yes. Work ethic? No.

BluechipBulletin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:01 AM
BluechipBulletin

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Won't make up for the fact he has 0 hockey sense.
You've clearly never seen him play.

BluechipBulletin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:57 PM
hawksfan50

He was Central Scouted 8th ranked NA skater at mid-term but had a horrible 2nd half and so dropped to #43....YET the issue is : WAS this drop-off inconsidtency,lack of effort or the residue of his groin injury?

WEll IF it was the aftermath of the groin injury --even though team doctors allowed him back in the lineup after being out for awhile due to the groin--it s understandable that a player subconsciously wants to prevent a re-currence and so MAYBE he was reluctant to go all-out hard skating again? ALSO HAWKSGM STAN BOWMAN said the whole Saginaw team sagged in the 2nd half and never got their sacto oncourse again and maybe this tooaffected him--he just looked way "OFF" the form he had in the fiorst half. WHATEVER the reasins-he llooked like a completely different player at Rookies Tournament that the guy i saw in the 2nd half last year and was so unimpressed i yelled AVOID drafting him AVOID! But now--playing at full speed hard like he is HE CERTAINLY LOOKS every bit at leasst the 8th best NA skater from that draft if not even better.

So I cannot believe on this ability heshows that it was just an INCONSISTENCY problem or just a lack of effort in the 2nd half last season...HE MUST have been going at only 50-60% because he was subconciously worried about tre-injuring the groin...or maybe the graoin did not feel right even though doctors cleared him to play againm...WHATEVER he was NOT displaying all the ability he has shown now --so I think it wasjust a matter of getting back to where it felt normal and to where he no longer was afraid to go all out again..

The Hawks looked like they lucked out --with everyone wanting to AVOID picking him for frear of some attitude problem when it looks increasingly like it was a physical groin problem and its residual effects all along. So if you add the 2 euros ahead of the 8th NA skater taken -this means he MIGHT HAVE BEEN AT LEAST A 10th overall "VALUE" if he had maintained his mid-term ranking..

So here is hoping the REAL SAAD is the guy of the pre-groin first half of last year and the guy who so impressed at Rookies tournament and in early scrimmages at main camp.

STILL--the HAWKS are too loaderd at forward to rush him to the pros this year UNLESS he is so effective they have to trade some other forward away now to make room...The Hawks will not be desperate to rush anyone past the vet forwards they have stockpiled-so he would have to be not merely good but dazzling to earn a spot this year.

hawksfan50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
zytz
lumberjack

I wouldn't say he's top 10, but definitely 1st round caliber.

zytz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:36 PM
Miller Time NYR
HFBoards Sponsor

lets not get carried away here, its training camp every teams prospects look great.

Miller Time NYR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 04:57 PM
Man Bear Pig

This is more pre-mature then my first time.

Man Bear Pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:01 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man Bear Pig View Post
This is more pre-mature then my first time.
Zing!

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:08 PM
WhereIsIt
alongtheboards

vCash: 1456
A second round pick had a good first day of training camp and all of a sudden he should have been a top 10 pick?

Yeah, that sounds fair. It's not like any of the other 29 teams are impressed with their picks after 2 days either.

WhereIsIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Nyax

There's no way he should have gone in the first ten picks. 20-30 is the range I would have taken him. I thought the Leafs should have taken him instead of Percy.

Having seen him play many times in the OHL, he's definitely a project. He has the size and skill to be an impact player in the NHL, but he really needs to work on his consistency and determination.

It was a real good pick for where the Hawks got him.

Nyax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:19 PM
ZugNugget

Another Blackhawks attempt at striking gold, drafting an inconsistent big guy with skill and hoping he pans out.

For their sake, hopefully he develops better than their last few attempts.

ZugNugget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:25 PM
Novak Djokovic
MARC METHOT's #1 FAN

He was the best Hawks' player against the Sens in the rookie game. If he plays like that, the Hawks got a steal.

Novak Djokovic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:28 PM
EvilCorporateLawyer
Very slippery slope

Send a message via AIM to EvilCorporateLawyer
Saad is the next Wolski. Dude is very talented but cares very little.

EvilCorporateLawyer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:29 PM
Banana Sandwiches

I'd wait 4-5 years to make this thread. Having a few good rookie games doesn't necessarily mean you struck gold.

Banana Sandwiches is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:32 PM
Coolburn

Send a message via AIM to Coolburn Send a message via MSN to Coolburn Send a message via Yahoo to Coolburn
There are several players you could attempt to say this about...change the name in the thread title from "Saad" to "Grimaldi" and it could be fair to say too with just a different knock against Rocco than Saad (size as opposed to consistency). It shouldnt matter anyway where a player is selected...just hope they develop into the solid NHLer you want and be happy that you snagged a player you like.

Coolburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:45 PM
HockeySensible
Smug Teuvo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZugNugget View Post
Another Blackhawks attempt at striking gold, drafting an inconsistent big guy with skill and hoping he pans out.

For their sake, hopefully he develops better than their last few attempts.
I wouldn't really call Saad a "big guy".. he's 6'1". He's a solid guy, but it's not like he leaves much to be desired with not using his size.

And anyways, how many Blackhawk "big guys" have failed, recently?

Bickell joined the NHL last year and score 17 goals and 37 points. Brouwer's scored 20 goals and was top 5 in hits last year. Before Buff was traded, he was becoming one of, if not the premiere power-forward in the NHL. Kyle Beach isn't an NHL player yet, but he's closer than most critics give him credit for. They've seemed to have quite a bit of luck with "big guys" having impacts in the NHL.

HockeySensible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:49 PM
R S
Renegade Stylings

vCash: 420
Can't wait to see Saad live tomorrow night in Saskatoon.

R S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:55 PM
TowMater14

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldsteelonice84 View Post
I went to the Hawks TC fest and was very impressed with his game. Him and J. Toews were the best players on the ice IMO. Saad controls the puck like Hossa, skates really well and does a great job driving to the net and deking the goalie. He reminds me of a cross between Hossa and Amonte, very impressed with him and shocked the Hawks got him at No. 43.
Obviously! Of course a guy who was picked 43rd overall should have gone top 10 after a good training camp game.....RRRRIIIIIGGGGGHHHHHTTTTT!

TowMater14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:01 PM
EbonyRaptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksfan50 View Post
He was Central Scouted 8th ranked NA skater at mid-term but had a horrible 2nd half and so dropped to #43....YET the issue is : WAS this drop-off inconsidtency,lack of effort or the residue of his groin injury?

WEll IF it was the aftermath of the groin injury --even though team doctors allowed him back in the lineup after being out for awhile due to the groin--it s understandable that a player subconsciously wants to prevent a re-currence and so MAYBE he was reluctant to go all-out hard skating again? ALSO HAWKSGM STAN BOWMAN said the whole Saginaw team sagged in the 2nd half and never got their sacto oncourse again and maybe this tooaffected him--he just looked way "OFF" the form he had in the fiorst half. WHATEVER the reasins-he llooked like a completely different player at Rookies Tournament that the guy i saw in the 2nd half last year and was so unimpressed i yelled AVOID drafting him AVOID! But now--playing at full speed hard like he is HE CERTAINLY LOOKS every bit at leasst the 8th best NA skater from that draft if not even better.

So I cannot believe on this ability heshows that it was just an INCONSISTENCY problem or just a lack of effort in the 2nd half last season...HE MUST have been going at only 50-60% because he was subconciously worried about tre-injuring the groin...or maybe the graoin did not feel right even though doctors cleared him to play againm...WHATEVER he was NOT displaying all the ability he has shown now --so I think it wasjust a matter of getting back to where it felt normal and to where he no longer was afraid to go all out again..

The Hawks looked like they lucked out --with everyone wanting to AVOID picking him for frear of some attitude problem when it looks increasingly like it was a physical groin problem and its residual effects all along. So if you add the 2 euros ahead of the 8th NA skater taken -this means he MIGHT HAVE BEEN AT LEAST A 10th overall "VALUE" if he had maintained his mid-term ranking..

So here is hoping the REAL SAAD is the guy of the pre-groin first half of last year and the guy who so impressed at Rookies tournament and in early scrimmages at main camp.

STILL--the HAWKS are too loaderd at forward to rush him to the pros this year UNLESS he is so effective they have to trade some other forward away now to make room...The Hawks will not be desperate to rush anyone past the vet forwards they have stockpiled-so he would have to be not merely good but dazzling to earn a spot this year.
Residue of his groin ... that's disgusting.

This fiddy post takes me back to yerster year when fiddy would just stream his consciousness, keyboard be damned. Ahhh ... the memories.

EbonyRaptor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:55 PM
DontToewzMeBro

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post

This fiddy post takes me back to yerster year when fiddy would just stream his consciousness, keyboard be damned. Ahhh ... the memories.
Sharp.Toews.Kane
Saad.McNeil.Hossa
Morin.Bolland.Bickell
Kruger.Flick.Daneault/Hayes

Future is bright
I

DontToewzMeBro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 02:58 PM
digdug41982

vCash: 50
Hawks cut roster to 33 today, Saad remains with the team. He's the only Hawk to play in every preseason game so far.

digdug41982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 03:29 PM
Sevanston

Quote:
Originally Posted by EbonyRaptor View Post

I really do think his typing is improving. It's mostly cogent-looking now.

I've always imagined that he typed the way he spoke, which means I really want to meet him in person.

Sevanston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:20 PM
Rabid Ranger
2 is better than one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
A statement that you can't substantiate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HossTheBoss View Post
I wouldn't really call Saad a "big guy".. he's 6'1". He's a solid guy, but it's not like he leaves much to be desired with not using his size.

And anyways, how many Blackhawk "big guys" have failed, recently?

Bickell joined the NHL last year and score 17 goals and 37 points. Brouwer's scored 20 goals and was top 5 in hits last year. Before Buff was traded, he was becoming one of, if not the premiere power-forward in the NHL. Kyle Beach isn't an NHL player yet, but he's closer than most critics give him credit for. They've seemed to have quite a bit of luck with "big guys" having impacts in the NHL.
Good point. Somehow anyone over 6 ft tall in the NHL has to be this epic banger. Saad's future is Drew Stafford, for better or for worse. Personally, I like Stafford's game but YMMV.

Last edited by Rabid Ranger: 09-26-2011 at 05:39 PM. Reason: merged
Rabid Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-26-2011, 04:29 PM
GordieHoweHatTrick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
That's probably why Wolski was in Newmarket this off-season training with Gary Roberts and sticking to a strict diet, because he simply doesn't care.

GordieHoweHatTrick is offline   Reply With Quote