HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Wingers taking face-offs

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

vCash: 500
Wingers taking face-offs

What's up with this new philosophy? Is this something Bryan Murray has just started doing, or does he have a history of doing it?

With Fisher out for awhile, we're quite thin at centre. Is it possible that we see one of Alfie or Havlat tried at centre? IIRC Havlat was drafted as a centre, but has always played RW in the NHL. Alfie is a guy who can adjust to new situations really well. Didn't he used to be a defenseman when he was young, or is that someone else I'm thinking about?

I'm thinking it's entirely possible that Murray will at least try one or both of them at centre. It would be interesting to see. If the man has no qualms with having Brandon Bochenski take a face-off against the Leafs in OT last night, I assume he has no problem with Alfie or Havlat taking them regularly.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:36 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Havlat at center might be the only way we see Havlat and Alfie together, so maybe they'll try it out. And Havlat can roam wherever he wants at center.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:42 PM
Tap on the Ankle
Nobody remembers No2

Yeah, Havlat at centre would make more sense than Alfie. Even if he blows at face-offs, it wouldn't be anything new for us. A Schaefer-Havlat-Alfie line sounds good. Small, but very quick and talented. Perfect for the new NHL. Havlat and Schaefer have good chemistry, and Alfie is one of those guys that will have chemistry with just about anyone.

Old
10-11-2005, 03:45 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher
Yeah, Havlat at centre would make more sense than Alfie. Even if he blows at face-offs, it wouldn't be anything new for us. A Schaefer-Havlat-Alfie line sounds good. Small, but very quick and talented. Perfect for the new NHL. Havlat and Schaefer have good chemistry, and Alfie is one of those guys that will have chemistry with just about anyone.
Crazy idea but it just might work

Old
10-11-2005, 03:55 PM
The Mars Volchenkov

Send a message via MSN to The Mars Volchenkov
Why has Havlat never even been tried at center? I'm pretty sure he was drafted as a center. Is it because he was bad defensively? I'd love to see what he can do if they put him there. Work on faceoffs with him in practice.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:09 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy
Havlat at center might be the only way we see Havlat and Alfie together, so maybe they'll try it out. And Havlat can roam wherever he wants at center.

When you posted this, I felt like my brain just exploded. We were talking in another thread about the complete lack of talent down the middle, how no one can pass or shoot with any accuracy. Well, what would be so wrong about trying Havlat at center? Obviously we would need to see how it would work, but look at the line combinations
bochenski spezza heatley
schaeffer havlat alfredsson
vermette smoke varada
mcgratton kelly neil

if it worked is obviously the key, having seen how miserable the last alfie havlat experiment failed, i dont want to assume anything, but that 3rd line is more than serviceable if Fisher is out for any extended period of time. If that 2nd line worked, and fisher came back, smoke could become available. Obviously, there are wayyy too many variables for this to pan out as we hope, but I think with Havlats speed and tendency to drift around the middle of the ice anyway, he might be able to make the switch.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:12 PM
nneate

Poor Havlat

If it works, then im all for it, it's too bad Havlat is going from LW to RW to C because he didn't look very comfortable at LW, and was much more so at RW.

I suppose we'll just have to see how it plays out.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:29 PM
Don Draper

Quote:
Originally Posted by nneate
Poor Havlat

If it works, then im all for it, it's too bad Havlat is going from LW to RW to C because he didn't look very comfortable at LW, and was much more so at RW.

I suppose we'll just have to see how it plays out.
havlat is always seen as the first to because he seems to have the most versatility. The blinding speed, great anticipation, being able to dominate the puck, while also having great vision. I think those are why they will probably keep him on the wing, because he can do so much on his own, but I think they are the same qualities you find in a great centermen.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:42 PM
joolzie

Depending where you look, you can see Havlat drafted as any of the forward positions, sometimes in combination, because the Czech league doesn't really differentiate between them. The earliest articles about him in Sens camp referred to him almost exclusively as a center, but that seemed to have changed pretty quickly. From a Ken Warren article in September of 2000:

Asked which forward position he preferred, he shrugged his shoulders.

"It doesn't matter to me. Whatever the coach says."

My, how things change... Incidentally, in the 3 regular season games played so far, he's taken 9 faceoffs and won 4 of them. Small sample size for sure, but the ability is there.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:44 PM
Pangu

Actually I too can see it. You can tell that he likes to skate and making him a center would allow him to take on more responsibility in his own end. I mean chasing down the puck may be much more natural for him then waiting along the boards for an outlet pass.

I would love to see them experiment with Fletcher's lines. Schaefer and Haval have chemistry, and nobody else on those two lines seems to have any. So who knows, it may just work.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:56 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensGuy

Centers have to work much harder, and be rock solid defensively. I don't think Havlat should watse his energy clearing the crease, or battling in the corners. Plus, he would not be good at doing either.

A wingers job is much easier. When you get switched from center to wing its like you just recieved a vacation. Its an easier position mentally and physically. Havlat is great to hang high, and use his quick acceleration, and blazing footspeed starting at the blue line, rather than way back at the net, or in the corners.

Besides, being a complete center isn't full of highlights. Radek Bonk was very strong at center and got rode out of town on a french pony.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Rico__Persson*

Quote:
Originally Posted by joolzie
From a Ken Warren article in September of 2000:

Asked which forward position he preferred, he shrugged his shoulders.

"It doesn't matter to me. Whatever the coach says."

Wow, you really dug that one out. Impressive!!! Blow the dust off that one...thats a lot of work just to post in a message board.

Excellent example, I'm amazed.

Old
10-12-2005, 04:01 PM
operasen

Bochenski Spezza Heatley
Vermette Havlat Alfredsson
Schaefer Fisher Neil
McGratton Smolinski Varada

Kelly

Think about it!

Old