HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rivalry on the verge of Ugliness: Sens and Habs

Closed Thread

Old
10-11-2005, 01:04 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by aymand
I don't like the Sens. But I don't mind Sens fans... (although you guys are starting to get some arrogance)
I think the idea of Sens fans being arrogant is kind of funny because that aspect of our fandom hit its zenith back in 2003 on our big cup run and then in the following season.

We had just barely missed the Cup, and were surely on our way to the finals the following year. Optimism was unbridled. Arrogance abounded.

Then we got knocked out in the 1st round.

So, now our arrogance has hopefully been tempered a little bit. If you think we're bad now, you should have seen us a couple years ago.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:20 PM
H2O

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipmode
Aw, but I love you guys
Seriously, I know I should hate the Sens being devisional rivals and all, but I always cheer for them when they are not playing the Habs. In fact they're probably my second favourite team. Lets just all get along and aim our hatred towards the Maple Leafs.
Ditto. I always cheer for the Habs when they're not playing the Sens. I think many feels the same way.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:48 PM
Kruky

Habs fan arrogant, maybe. But sens fan have been arrogant since the first game they played vs Montreal back when the franchise came back. 5-2 win vs Montreal, the next day in the paper, "Sens win the cup" and Sens fan actually believing they might have a chance.

I think if there is to be a rivalry between Sens and Habs, it will begin in May of 2006.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:51 PM
NyQuil
Setec Astronomy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kruky
the next day in the paper, "Sens win the cup" and Sens fan actually believing they might have a chance.
FYI, the headlines WASN'T "Sens win the Cup".

It was: "Maybe Rome WAS Built in a Day."

Old
10-11-2005, 01:53 PM
Kruky

Quote:
Originally Posted by NyQuil
FYI, the headlines WASN'T "Sens win the Cup".

It was: "Maybe Rome WAS Built in a Day."

LOL,

Same thing.

Old
10-11-2005, 01:57 PM
Random Ryan*

Send a message via MSN to Random Ryan*
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tucker316
Personally I hope the Habs hand the Sens their ***** tonight, to be honest.
But is this coming from a leaf fan?

Old
10-11-2005, 04:15 PM
Habsaku

I like the Sens, like many said, I wish them all the luck when they are playing any other team then the Habs. I think alot of Sens fans feel the same way about Montreal. PLus, we have a common enemy in Toronto and to a lesser extent for you guys, Boston. Heres to a Habs-Sens conference finals.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:31 PM
Rico__Persson*

Des Expo

I've never had a problemo with Montreal fans. Unlike a blue and white team based out of Southern Ontario, Canada, Montreal has done more winning than any other team in the world. They can pretty well say what they want.

I miss my friend Radek Bonk and wish him well in Montreal. If you make the playoffs, you'll always be able to watch his playoff beard grow each playoff run. (you can actually see it grow by watching for a couple minutes).

Too bad Gainey moved Hossa, I think its too soon to call him a bust. New York probably won't help development though.

The one thing I do have a problem with about Montreal is that they let the greatsest baseball team in the history of the world leave town. Des Expo were a favorite of mine. Although it wasn't the same watching them once Vladdy Daddy left town.

As far as the rivalry goes, not yet. But Montreal is on its way to building from within with a good group of young players. (thats the only way to do now).

Should be a great game. One last thing. Is Theodore getting the start with the back to back? I have him in a hockey pool, and was wondering if he'll miss tonight or in ATL tomorrow?

Thanks lads.

Old
10-11-2005, 04:39 PM
Anksun

Send a message via ICQ to Anksun
Theodore get the start tonight, that's for sure. We'll see for tomorrow game however.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:00 PM
Scotianhab

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anksun
Theodore get the start tonight, that's for sure. We'll see for tomorrow game however.
With Theo playing tonite I could see him sitting out the game vs. Atlanta to let Danis get a start under his belt, then Theo will play against the leafs on Saturday. Here's to a great game tonite!

Old
10-11-2005, 05:02 PM
Wondercarrot
Classless

I respect the Hab organization. I also dont mind a little arrogance from them, its something you earn when you win so many Cups it seems like they must be coming out of crackerjack boxes.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:10 PM
AD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wondercarrot
I respect the Hab organization. I also dont mind a little arrogance from them, its something you earn when you win so many Cups it seems like they must be coming out of crackerjack boxes.
Nice.. thanks.

Here's to the Habs and Sens dominating the next century!

Old
10-11-2005, 05:24 PM
Necrophile

Both the Habs and Sens have grown their franchise from within, relying on good scouting and development. While Ottawa may already be an established (though not yet cup-winning) team, Montréal is only on the verge of rebecoming a contender.

I love the fact that they both have talented and speedy players, and it will make for fun hockey. What I don't like is that there are just too many good teams in the NorthEast division: Ottawa (arguably the best team in the NHL), Montréal (on the rise, possible break-out year this season), Boston (lots of talent), Buffalo (good crop of youngsters)...

Facing each of these teams 8 times a year will put us at a huge disadvantage vis-à-vis other Eastern Conference teams. Our schedules become automatically tougher - and with the current format only 1 NE division team can rank among the top 3 in the conference.

Oh well, at least we can beat up on the lowly Leafs 8 games a year!

Old
10-11-2005, 05:30 PM
Jennifer 19

Send a message via MSN to Jennifer 19 Send a message via Skype™ to Jennifer 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Habsaku
I like the Sens, like many said, I wish them all the luck when they are playing any other team then the Habs. I think alot of Sens fans feel the same way about Montreal. PLus, we have a common enemy in Toronto and to a lesser extent for you guys, Boston. Heres to a Habs-Sens conference finals.
I think you're right in the fact that lot of Sens fans like the Habs (part of which stems from the fact that a lot of Sens fans used to be Habs fans before we got a team, although that doesn't apply to me personally).

I think the games against each other will be great this year, seeing as the teams are alike in may respects. I already have tickets to see the game against you guys in November (yay!) so I'm hoping for some exciting games.

I'm not sure how friendly we'll all be after this years done though.

Old
10-11-2005, 05:32 PM
c_mak

Send a message via MSN to c_mak
I like the habs. Unlike the TML Ottawa and Montral have shared a few players which gives us some mutual identification. I also think that the way the habs have been building over the last few years is similiar to the Sens, a premium on drafting bpa and on speed.
Also, montreal fans' wild moods swings are a treat to read on these boards. I have never seen a player go from saviour to scapegoat faster, but hey you gottta love passion. I really think that this rivialy needs only one playoff meeting to bring out the true feelings. Sure the regualr season can provide some good games but if the habs finnish eighth and the sens first and we loose all the politeness will be lost and we'll see what people really feel... notice feel not think!

Old
10-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Goldie Prodgers

Habs fan adding his name...

...to the mutual respect club.

2003-2004 and, the season before, I purchased tickets to Ottawa, Philly, TO, and Bruins games. Out of all the visiting team fans to the Molson/Bell center, I found the Ottawa fans to be the most courteous and well-mannered. Shows us Montreal fans to be the moody, fickle bunch that we really are. (Maybe it's the shocked look on the face's of other team's fans as they hear us boo our own players?)

Second place goes to Philly fans and third to the Bruins (sorry Boston, saw a few too many drunken fights). I stopped buying tickets to as many TML games (still buy a few) since I found the visiting fans way too annoying.

You guys better beat the Leafs this year. It would be really cool to see you win the cup too.

I don't think the Habs will come close this year. We might get by the first round, but I doubt we'll get through the second. Here's hoping we don't meet up with Ottawa in the first round. (and here's hoping we both get there... anything can happen)

Can't wait for the game tonight. It should be exciting and close.

Old
10-12-2005, 10:22 AM
Kickabrat
WHAT - ME WORRY?

What I like about the Hab fans is that they are fairly objective in their assesment of hab and non-hab players. If a player stinks in a game they say it...no excuses, no rationalization..he made a bone head play...boooo. If he redeems himself by making a good play they jump up and down and carry on and on. I find they are much quicker to acknowledge a good play or player from the other team then most other fans (myself included).

I watched the game on centre ice last night in french (RDS feed - being born in montreal gave me the opportunity to speak french) the first chance in years I have had the opportunity to actually hear a game broadcast in french since CBC french in TO blacks out any non leaf game. I was amazed at the commentators. When a player (on either team) made a good play they acknowledged it! When they goofed they pointed it out.

Compared to the leafs telecast on TSN the night before where all the plays seem to revolve around leaf players...for example if Redden makes a brilliant stretch pass to spring Heatley...the comment goes something like...the Sens pass it up and it gets by Aki Berg..Sens on a breakaway ...holy mackinaw what a great save by Belfour as the sens couldn't quite control the puck on that break in...
whereas the french commentators call it a great pass, chastise the Dman for lettting it get by him and point out how lucky for the Habs it got away from Heatley or he could have scored. I actually enjoyed watching and listening to the game.

Being an ex-hab fan I still cheer for them (when they don't play the Sens). If the Sens can't win a cup then I hope the Habs do whereas I hope I am dead and buried before toronto ever comes near a stanley cup and even then I''m sure I'd roll over in my grave.

Old
10-12-2005, 04:22 PM
mcphee

In the 60's, the team with all the buzz around it was Chicago. Everybody was excited by the Chicago game on Saturday night. Toronto was Toronto,I've hated them since I knew what the hell it was my father was watching. Detroit was different,you knew you'd see 2 good fast teams playing hockey the way it was supposed to be played. There'd be tough games,but the hate wasn't there. Right now,I find Habs/Sens a lot like Mtl./Detroit. If the Leafs decline, it wouldn't take much to develop a bit of hate though. The thing is,though,a lot of fans of both teams kind of like both teams.

Old
10-12-2005, 05:49 PM
SENSational

I could never hate the habs. Their my second favorite team, my entire room is filled with habs stuff (including the paint) and it would suck so bad if sens and habs turned into something like sens vs leafs.

Closed Thread