HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Marc Staal (10/5: Out indefinitely, on IR)

Closed Thread

Old
09-19-2011, 05:21 PM
Barbara Underhill
Duuuuuuuuuuuuuuke

vCash: 373
Can't help but laugh at the people calling out Eric Staal and damning him for breaking "brother code".

Old
09-19-2011, 05:30 PM
Rangerfans

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbara Underhill View Post
Can't help but laugh at the people calling out Eric Staal and damning him for breaking "brother code".
Well, look where you are.

I don't see the big deal whatsoever. It is abundantly clear that this is all precautionary. There is no need to worry. He is even cleared for contact.

I don't see what the fuss is all about.

Old
09-19-2011, 05:39 PM
NYRKindms

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dagoon44 View Post
thanks for posting these just shows some people need to see facts not just be told what the msg hype machine says.
Well seeing as I got quoted for saying I saw him tweak his knee and get his bell rung not sure how that is being suckered by the "hype machine"

Old
09-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inferno272 View Post
id rather have gunner stahl.
But he's a forward

Old
09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
HatTrick Swayze
Tomato Potato

As of right now bucket me into the "pretty worried" camp. PCS is not something that just "heals up" according to a set timetable.

I have a ton of confidence in our young D, but we are in deep deep trouble without Staal. I firmly believe he is a top-5 shutdown defenseman in the league.

Fingers crossed...

09-19-2011, 05:57 PM
Machinehead
★★★★

This is why you never trust the Rangers. Something always goes wrong

Old
09-19-2011, 06:06 PM
ruckus*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bleed Ranger Blue View Post
You said it. While the conspiracy theories/examining a hit from 7 months ago like its the damn Zapruder film if funny, what I find particularly appauling are the few people who are trying to say this wouldn't be a huge loss if he cant start the season.

Besides losing Lundqvist, its probably THE biggest loss for this team. People that have been watching hockey for 35 years cant realize how important Staal is? Seemingly because he doesnt provide much offense?? Thats absurd.

This defense is a house of cards ready to collapse if you remove the main cog in Marc Staal.
I think that's based on the idea of him not missing more than a handful of games. At this rate I'd sign for him coming back in November sometime. Let's say he misses all of October. That's only 10 games. It's not the way you want your season to start but it's not the end of the world. Plus it gives him 40+ days of no contact. I actually don't think that's such a bad idea at this point.

The issue with concussions is none of us have any freaking clue, and, neither does the player, organization, or doctors. Nobody has any freaking idea. So while I can understand both sides of the "OMG PANIC" and "Everything's going to be fine" sides, the bottom line is that nobody, not a single one of us, has any idea.

I know you're not as sold on Sauer-McDonagh in their second year, but some of us like myself are. If Erixon performs admirably as expected by the organization, Eminger can give the team quality minutes like he did last season, or Del Zotto bounces back, I really don't think Staal missing 10 games is the end of the world.

Losing Staal is one of the worst thing that could happen to this team. Acting like the rest of the defense is a joke isn't fair though.

Old
09-19-2011, 07:37 PM
NikC

just watched Torts video on rangers website. Marc is cleared for contact! They are holding him back as a precaution, because of headaches suffered after the workouts ramping up.

nypost:

"He's progressing nicely after coming in with headaches, he's felt really good after working out hard, and we've been very encouraged the last couple of days but I want him to feel better consistently. He could have contact, but we're holding him out. We want to make sure.

"We're looking to get him ready to play opening night."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1YRsBaWin

Old
09-19-2011, 08:10 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikC View Post
just watched Torts video on rangers website. Marc is cleared for contact! They are holding him back as a precaution, because of headaches suffered after the workouts ramping up.

nypost:

"He's progressing nicely after coming in with headaches, he's felt really good after working out hard, and we've been very encouraged the last couple of days but I want him to feel better consistently. He could have contact, but we're holding him out. We want to make sure.

"We're looking to get him ready to play opening night."

Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1YRsBaWin
I think you missed the part where TODAY he was sent home for not feeling well....

Old
09-19-2011, 08:41 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrSutton View Post
I think you missed the part where TODAY he was sent home for not feeling well....
honestly what is wrong with sending him home? They need to take it slow. I am still confident he will be ready to go to start the yr

Old
09-19-2011, 08:47 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
honestly what is wrong with sending him home? They need to take it slow. I am still confident he will be ready to go to start the yr
Really?!?! It certainly isn't GOOD by any stretch of the imagination. It's one thing to keep him out of scrimmages, but not being able to participate in practices and sending him home for not feeling well is not good. At All. If anything, it looks worse than it did yesterday.

Old
09-19-2011, 08:51 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Really?!?! It certainly isn't GOOD by any stretch of the imagination. It's one thing to keep him out of scrimmages, but not being able to participate in practices and sending him home for not feeling well is not good. At All. If anything, it looks worse than it did yesterday.
key about what you said is yesterday. Its camp and everything gets blown out of proportion.

were people not paranoid about Sauer and Anisimov?

lets give it some time before freaking. Ask me in a week

Old
09-19-2011, 08:54 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
key about what you said is yesterday. Its camp and everything gets blown out of proportion.

were people not paranoid about Sauer and Anisimov?

lets give it some time before freaking. Ask me in a week
Sauer and Anisimov are both on the ice playing in scrimmages AND both are not NEARLY as important to this team as Staal is.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, but as of today, it's worse than it was on monday. And that's not good.

Use some logic here.

Old
09-19-2011, 08:58 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
Sauer and Anisimov are both on the ice playing in scrimmages AND both are not NEARLY as important to this team as Staal is.

We'll see what happens tomorrow, but as of today, it's worse than it was on monday. And that's not good.

Use some logic here.
I just try and look at it with optimism. I just don't feel the need to freak out...........yet

Yes its not good but I think the Rangers are handling it right. Take it slow. If he doesnt play the first game overseas I will be very very concerned. Till then I am glad they are giving him rest.

lets wait to see what tomorrow brings

Old
09-19-2011, 09:00 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
I just try and look at it optimistic instead of some who look at it as horrible.

Yes its not good but I think the Rangers are handling it right. Take it slow. If he doesnt play the first game overseas I will be very very concerned. Till then I am glad they are giving him rest.

lets wait to see what tomorrow brings
And I just look at it realistically. It is what it is right now. RIGHT NOW, it's not good.

Old
09-19-2011, 09:01 PM
Vitto79

Quote:
And I just look at it realistically. It is what it is right now. RIGHT NOW, it's not good.
tis true it blows but the talk about needing another Dman is a little premature.

Old
09-19-2011, 09:11 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
tis true it blows but the talk about needing another Dman is a little premature.
The blueline does need some vet experience. Staal or No they are still gonna be looking for that.

Old
09-19-2011, 09:12 PM
RangerNation1994

not sure if someone posted this already but found this on the canes forum

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...s-brother-eric

Old
09-19-2011, 09:15 PM
DrSutton*
Given Up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerNation1994 View Post
not sure if someone posted this already but found this on the canes forum

http://blogs.newsobserver.com/canes/...s-brother-eric
This is what I'm saying. Eric's conscious is going to weigh on him. Will that stop him from playing like his usual self? Probably not. But I bet next time he's in that situation with Marc, he pulls up a bit.

Old
09-19-2011, 11:11 PM
White Plains Batman
Faceoffs? Faceoffs!!

This seems similar to a Brent Burns situation and he missed like 29 games during the season but the silver lining is he came back strong last year.

Let Staal rest. Honestly, keep him off the ice the entire preseason and month of October if need be and start easing him back in November. It may be a lot but they have to be cautious.

The last thing you want is a rusty Staal who could still be injured going against two lines of Kopitar/Richards/Penner and then the Ryan/Getzlaf/Perry line back to back nights after flying halfway across the world.

October is only 10 games and they can handle it especially with a lot of time off.

I have a lot of confidence in Girardi/McD/Sauer and some combo of Emminger/Erixon/Del Z/Valentenko to do the job.

They did fine last season when he missed some time and other than the first two games, they don't really have to worry about an Ovechkin like presence other than the Vancouver game with the Sedins and Calgary but Iginla has a bad back.

Old
09-19-2011, 11:50 PM
redfzn

Old
09-20-2011, 12:12 AM
Punxrocknyc19*

more injuries: Prust not cleared for contact..

http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...C-rss&FEEDNAME

rangers cant miss him for a long period.. he is a big part of the penalty kill and creating offense shorthanded.

Old
09-20-2011, 02:55 AM
Khelvan

Send a message via ICQ to Khelvan Send a message via AIM to Khelvan Send a message via MSN to Khelvan
I think the Prust injury was already reported. However, in that article Brooks states that Valentenko must clear waivers in order to be sent down to the AHL. But I'd heard here that he was not waiver eligible this season. So which is it?

Old
09-20-2011, 06:22 AM
Calad
Section 422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khelvan View Post
I think the Prust injury was already reported. However, in that article Brooks states that Valentenko must clear waivers in order to be sent down to the AHL. But I'd heard here that he was not waiver eligible this season. So which is it?
Not eligible because he came over from europe instead of juniors, I believe he has one more year left before he is waiver eligible.

Old
09-20-2011, 06:31 AM
RangerBoy
#freejtmiller

The defense needs experience with or without Staal? Why wasn't it addressed in the summer? Is Staal out for the season? He passed his baseline test and skated through the tough conditioning skates. What's changed? The Rangers knew Staal was having issues in the summer. They did not acquire an experienced D. They re-signed Eminger as their #6/#7 experienced D.

The Rangers have more than enough options on D instead of picking up someone such as Paul Mara. Larry Brooks suggestion. The Rangers strength is in their young D.

Craig Custance of ESPN wrote about Staal yesterday and whether the Rangers will add another D

He spoke to Jeff Gorton in Traverse City about the Rangers young D. Gorton knew about Staal's situation before making this comment

Quote:
"We are young on D, but these are guys who have pretty good experience," Gorton said. "I'm sure there's a little bit of risk but at the end of the day, they're pretty talented guys, right? And those are our best defensemen in the organization and we have a coach who embraces youth. As long as it's working, we'll keep going with them."
http://insider.espn.go.com/nhl/blog/...n-drew-doughty

Quote:
Tim Erixon, who has been very smooth while exhibiting innate hockey sense, and Michael Del Zotto are both left-hand shots who play the left side. When asked whether he'd have trepidation moving either to the right side, Tortorella said he'd yet to give that any thought.

Ranger scouts and management personnel, however, believe that one of Erixon's great attributes is that he can play either side.
Read more: http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/range...#ixzz1YUWTgaFk

Closed Thread