HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk Trade rumors, transactions, and free agent talk. Rumors must contain the word RUMOR in post title. Proposals must contain the word PROPOSAL in post title.

Wade Redden not invited to NY Rangers training camp

Old
09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Ih8theislanders
Full-kit ****ers

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post

If he truly wanted to remain in the NHL above all else (as some people seem to be suggesting) he should have signed a deal for $5M/year less to reduce the likelihood he would be demoted for having a low impact/dollar.
It's not even that. He can void his contract whenever he wants and try to stick with an NHL team. The Rangers would certainly agree to void. He's taking the security of a big contract, he obviously prefers the money over playing in the NHL. There's nothing wrong with that, he's doing his best to let his family live very comfortably, but I don't see how people can feel bad for him in this situation. It's his decision.

Ih8theislanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:22 PM
Jonas1235

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatterson View Post
Redden chose to sign a very large long-term contract. I don't blame him for that at all, 99.999% of people would have done the *exact* same thing, however increasing his cap hit lowers his value to an NHL team because, even if he's playing at the same level, he has a lower impact/dollar at $6.5M a year than at $1.5M/year.

If he truly wanted to remain in the NHL above all else (as some people seem to be suggesting) he should have signed a deal for $5M/year less to reduce the likelihood he would be demoted for having a low impact/dollar. Alternatively he can refuse to report to camp, be suspended without pay, and see if he can get the Rags to void his contract thus walking away from the millions left and attempt to sign with another team.
Why would a grown man walk away from getting 6.5 million a season? Are you nuts?

Jonas1235 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:34 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonas1235 View Post
Why would a grown man walk away from getting 6.5 million a season? Are you nuts?
I completely agree. I don't think he would, or even should.

However, the simple fact of the matter is that the Rags are not keeping him from playing in the NHL, or in anyway taking advantage of him. They're honoring the contract as it was written. He has options to regain his status as an NHL player should he so choose, however that means putting his guaranteed millions to the side, which seems fairly insane.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:38 PM
hatterson
Global Moderator

vCash: 874
Send a message via Skype™ to hatterson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
It's not even that. He can void his contract whenever he wants and try to stick with an NHL team. The Rangers would certainly agree to void. He's taking the security of a big contract, he obviously prefers the money over playing in the NHL. There's nothing wrong with that, he's doing his best to let his family live very comfortably, but I don't see how people can feel bad for him in this situation. It's his decision.
I wasn't meaning to imply that there was something wrong with it, quite the opposite. Redden chose a very significant raise rather than playing in his perfect situation which puts him in the category of just about every other human being in western civilization.

hatterson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 10:59 PM
Kikizaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
So ummm, deal with it. Sather signed the contract?

He should be invited to camp and at least given an opportunity to make the team. If he's not among the top 7 then fine, send him down.... But he at least deserves his shot at training camp.

Completely classless move by Sather and the organization IMO.
Quote:
Completely classless move by Sather and the organization IMO.
Quote:
classless
"Classless" http://www.thefreedictionary.com/classless

1. Lacking social or economic distinctions of class

I think at 6.5 millino dollars per year Wade Redden, and his attitude towards the rangers, never thinks "classless."

Probably the most overused and least understood word on this forum.

Kikizaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:03 PM
Paranoid Android
ERMAHGERD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ih8theislanders View Post
Let's be honest here, yes technically speaking he could walk away from his contract. But realistically, no he can't. It would be selfish and stupid. I don't even view it as an option.

The situation sucks because he is not able to play in the NHL due to a technicality (the cap). This is why it's ok to feel a little sorry for him. (Before anyone starts, I'm not getting into whether or not he is capable of playing in the NHL. That isn't the point.)

Paranoid Android is offline   Reply With Quote