HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Ottawa Senators
Notices

PRESEASON| Senators @ Maple Leafs| 7PM | LeafsTV

Old
09-19-2011, 11:09 PM
CanadianHockey
Smith - Alfie

vCash: 2391
I'm certainly not trying to label guys as anything, just evaluate who played well tonight and who didn't. They've all got time to adjust and impress still.

09-19-2011, 11:10 PM
playasRus

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It'll be awesome if Rundblad adjusts over the course of the pre-season and leaves all of you making one game conclusions shaking your heads. Everyones so fast to come to conclusions.
I think it'd be more reasonable to expect him to need a half a season to adjust. You don't adjust to such a drastic change over 10 games...

playasRus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:14 PM
Icelevel
little bit better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minister of Offence View Post
It'll be awesome if Rundblad adjusts over the course of the pre-season and leaves all of you making one game conclusions shaking your heads. Everyones so fast to come to conclusions.
well i think all we can do and there's no problem with it, is to evaluate the play of each player in the game, keeping in mind that it's just one game and doesn't mean they won't improve.
like, it's ok to say that rundblad had a bad game and filatov looks good so far. then we can evaluate next game. once a pattern develops then we can make judgements obviously. BUT so far it looks like cowen is nhl ready and rundblad is not. next game it could change.
(although after tonights game, i still think wiercioch is done here)

Icelevel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:16 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by playasRus View Post
I think it'd be more reasonable to expect him to need a half a season to adjust. You don't adjust to such a drastic change over 10 games...
I've seen crazier things happen this week. They let Karlsson go down for 10 games after looking WAY worse than that.

You've gotta appreciate just how difficult it is mentally to just step into the NHL for the first time against a lineup that is clearly out matching yours. I'm not saying he is, but I sure as hell not saying he can't...you just have to let it play out.

All I'm saying, there's no sense in talking absolutes after the first game.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:22 PM
Bileur

It was great to see Filatov fly up the wing like that. Have not had that feeling many times since Havlat left. Sure Vermette or Fisher could occasionally blow by guys, but Fisher's tunnel vision and Vermette's feet being faster than his brain just did not give the same hope for something special to happen.

I really, really, hope McLean can bring this guy to the next level.

Bileur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:22 PM
DropIt

How did Rundlbad look tonight

DropIt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:23 PM
TSA0402

This is not a one time thing for Rundblad. He has all the offensive capabilities but to say this is one bad defensive game and its nothing similar to what he has previously shown is a load of crap.

He needs time to adjust, even then... we will see.

TSA0402 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:26 PM
Minister of Offence

Quote:
Originally Posted by BWP View Post
well i think all we can do and there's no problem with it, is to evaluate the play of each player in the game, keeping in mind that it's just one game and doesn't mean they won't improve.
like, it's ok to say that rundblad had a bad game and filatov looks good so far. then we can evaluate next game. once a pattern develops then we can make judgements obviously. BUT so far it looks like cowen is nhl ready and rundblad is not. next game it could change.
(although after tonights game, i still think wiercioch is done here)
Ya obviously you need to evaluate a players game. But just because he has a bad one everyones so eager to say he's not ready because we debate it all summer, is he ready, is he not? Cowen vs Rundblad. The first chance people get to come to a conclusion, they jump at it. It's not everyone.

Minister of Offence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:30 PM
testinz

Runblad has a really good cycle in period 3. Defensively: he needs much more works.

I think he will end up in the AHL for half of the year.

testinz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:46 PM
Philadelphia Collins

Yikes, reading some of the posts in this GDT makes me feel like some of you guys are in for a rough year. Just watch Yakupov youtubes and enjoy watching the rookies get some experience, it'll be a fun ride

That being said I fell in love with Cowen as soon as he started pounding on that caveman

Philadelphia Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 11:55 PM
albator71

I am not worry one bit about Rundblad's game , he just needs to adjust to the smaller ice, I am pretty sure he will start the season in Bingo. As soon as he feels more comfortable on the small ice he will be back with the big club.

albator71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:20 AM
Topside

Preseason over reaction take two...

Topside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:24 AM
SensAreReligion
GT- CxC Senator

wow more then 1000 posts in our first GDT

SensAreReligion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:31 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

I'm not too worried about the defensive zone coverage.

Out of the 6 defensemen we had dressed, two of them were NHL defensemen and one of those two were Filip Kuba.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:36 AM
FolignoQuantumLeap
A mad Mup

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Waffler View Post
I'm not too worried about the defensive zone coverage.

Out of the 6 defensemen we had dressed, two of them were NHL defensemen and one of those two were Filip Kuba.
Yeah, without Mr Lee and Phillips defensive zone coverage will be prettaaayyyyy prettaaaaay bad.

FolignoQuantumLeap is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:04 AM
The Waffler
Can wipe my own ass!

Quote:
Originally Posted by FolignoQuantumLeap View Post
Yeah, without Mr Lee and Phillips defensive zone coverage will be prettaaayyyyy prettaaaaay bad.
If Cowen gets that spot, I think he'll be able to hold his own.

But his D partner will be one of Karlsson, Gonchar, Kuba and possibly Rundblad. So, I guess...His half will be covered.

The Waffler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:04 AM
Penner getrdonebryan

Sens player of the game : Karlsson . Got stronger in the off-season,led the team offensively and defensively. #1 d-man in the making, looked Dan Boyle-esque out there
Played great :
Cowen - defending well,punishing people,very good awareness and offensive instincts
Filatov - fast,skilled and tremendous vision.
Regin - played with a chip on his shoulder, IMO our hardest-working player; he's got the inside track for the #2 C spot
Auld - couldn't ask anything more from him,his usual reliable self
Played good
Michalek - played fast,aggresive and will put up points with skilled guys who can handle and dish the puck
Greening - not much offensively but his energy level couldn't be matched up by Neil and Z.Smith. I want to see this kid back with some talented players
Hoffman - speedy,shifty, too bad he played with plugs

I was really disappointed in Butler. Sloppy play and his defense is still suspect. Hopefully he bounces right back.
Wiercioch looked bad as well but he just turned 21. You can't expect every d-man to make the big league by that age. Some take longer to develop, but anyway I feel like this kid will be in the NHL at some point
The rest were kinda ok. Rundblad and Zibanejad will be so much better in the next game. You can quote me on that

Penner getrdonebryan is offline   Reply With Quote