HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Briere sounds happy they are gone?

Old
09-20-2011, 01:57 AM
Snipsnap12

vCash: 500
Briere sounds happy they are gone?

Just came across this article.... Not sure if it is just me but Briere seems happy with mike and jeff being gone.

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/19...osition-to-win

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:02 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
I think it seems like he's saying there's been too much change.

09-20-2011, 02:02 AM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 1412
It was discussed briefly in the GDT (article posted there as well). He likely had separate thoughts with the statement about "luck" limited to the recent acquisitions and not the trades of the two players: "If someone would have told me when I signed here that Richards and Carter would be gone and Jagr, (new captain Chris) Pronger and Bryzgalov would be sitting in the same dressing room as me, I would have said, 'c'mon, now let's not push our luck too much,' "

If the writer sensed derision or conflict in Briere's response, critical to Richards and/or Carter, he probably would have promoted it in the article.

Later in the article, Briere is quoted as saying "I don't want to throw those guys under the bus," he said. "They were good teammates. I really have nothing bad to say against them as teammates, you know? For their careers, I think (the trade) might be a good thing for them, as well. All of a sudden now the pressure is on them to start performing. It's good for both sides. If everything turns out, it could be one of those trades where it worked out for the team and it worked out for the player."

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-20-2011 at 10:43 AM. Reason: tidied it up
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:34 AM
mirimon

Here's what he wanted to say:

"I know. That was crazy, what the hell was Paul smoking? I mean, I only have a few seasons left, Prongs can barely walk up straight any longer and Kimmo ain't fooling anyone with that hair dying. And Homer trades for these young whippersnappers I haven't even heard of. I mean, what the hell? As if caring for Giroux isn't enough. And then he has the balls to go out and say that we could have had Richie and Jeff still on the team and sign Bryzgalov? Fml."

No, a little more serious. I'm sure there are some cautious optimism among the Flyers players. Having Bryzgalov and Jagr on the team could turn out to be really huge. Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn and Couturier are all really interesting players. Can't we focus on that instead now that the games are starting as well. Yes, I realize it's only pre-season, and yes, it is against Toronto. But still.

We won't find out about what the hell happened this summer until they all decide to write their autobiographies anyway.

mirimon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:49 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

That does sound that he's a little happier that they have gone whichever way you look at it lol.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:03 AM
ChumpyG
Jibbity jibbity

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirimon View Post
Here's what he wanted to say:

"I know. That was crazy, what the hell was Paul smoking? I mean, I only have a few seasons left, Prongs can barely walk up straight any longer and Kimmo ain't fooling anyone with that hair dying. And Homer trades for these young whippersnappers I haven't even heard of. I mean, what the hell? As if caring for Giroux isn't enough. And then he has the balls to go out and say that we could have had Richie and Jeff still on the team and sign Bryzgalov? Fml."

No, a little more serious. I'm sure there are some cautious optimism among the Flyers players. Having Bryzgalov and Jagr on the team could turn out to be really huge. Voracek, Simmonds, Schenn and Couturier are all really interesting players. Can't we focus on that instead now that the games are starting as well. Yes, I realize it's only pre-season, and yes, it is against Toronto. But still.

We won't find out about what the hell happened this summer until they all decide to write their autobiographies anyway.
Was preparing to rip into you until I got to the second part of your post. Never mind.

ChumpyG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:52 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I didn't really get that he was happy from this article, although I do think that is the case. No one is going to come out and say, "I am so happy they are gone." That just doesn't happen. But I think you can kind of tell some of the older guys seem a little relieved that some of the locker room tension is not going to be there this season. That's just my take on the whole deal.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:27 AM
JagerPuck

Send a message via AIM to JagerPuck
Im glad Briere wasnt one of the players shipped out.

Ill eat that Briere humble pie alllll day.
Of my Flyers circle of friends I was the biggest Briere hater, contract et all.
The guy has been the most consistent Flyer since signing that contract and his goal scoring prowess, not his passing, has been such a pleasant suprise.

JagerPuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:36 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I didn't really get that he was happy from this article, although I do think that is the case. No one is going to come out and say, "I am so happy they are gone." That just doesn't happen. But I think you can kind of tell some of the older guys seem a little relieved that some of the locker room tension is not going to be there this season. That's just my take on the whole deal.
The potential for the same tension is still there. Losing causes the tension and locker room issues. Winning solves it. If they had won last year, and not faltered down the stretch, there wouldn't have been that tension. Regardless of who's there or who's not.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:12 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Can be interpreted in a lot of ways but yeah he is not in mourning that is for sure. Seems Timonen and Briere are breathing a little easier these days based on their comments thus far. Hopefully, with the change of scenery this team will be more consistent and grow like Snider wants..which he was just quoted as saying that they felt they weren't doing with the previous arrangement..for whatever the reasons.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:18 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
The potential for the same tension is still there. Losing causes the tension and locker room issues. Winning solves it. If they had won last year, and not faltered down the stretch, there wouldn't have been that tension. Regardless of who's there or who's not.
I don't know, it seems like the tension wasn't a new thing last season. It was there when they went to the Cup the year before (or at least seemed that way). Obviously winning and losing will effect the locker room atmosphere, but I think in general, regardless of winning or losing, there is less tension and the guys know it. If they start 0-10 there will obviously be tension, but that it seems like that tension would have been worse if they were 0-10 with Richards and Carter still in there.

Keep in mind I am not saying that this is the case, this is just how it seems to me hearing the reactions from the players.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:20 AM
Rolex

Quote:
Losing is a downer but as long as the players can see that the team as a whole is improving and wining is at the end of the tunnel, they'll find a way to work through it. Winning can be a bummer when, despite the scoreboard of today, you know that the team is falling apart and once the current run is over, you're going to get your lunch handed to you without a bag. Its tense being on a team where the locker room is split and one group is blowing off the coaching staff. That's a recipe for a train wreck which was the Flyers last spring.

Rolex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:33 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
I don't know, it seems like the tension wasn't a new thing last season. It was there when they went to the Cup the year before (or at least seemed that way). Obviously winning and losing will effect the locker room atmosphere, but I think in general, regardless of winning or losing, there is less tension and the guys know it. If they start 0-10 there will obviously be tension, but that it seems like that tension would have been worse if they were 0-10 with Richards and Carter still in there.

Keep in mind I am not saying that this is the case, this is just how it seems to me hearing the reactions from the players.
I think the recent Briere statements, and the reaction from it from some people is the same as it's been all Summer. Mountains out of molehills and complete over reactions. Winning solves everything. I think it's a disgrace how both Richards and Carter have been slandered this Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolex View Post
Losing is a downer but as long as the players can see that the team as a whole is improving and wining is at the end of the tunnel, they'll find a way to work through it. Winning can be a bummer when, despite the scoreboard of today, you know that the team is falling apart and once the current run is over, you're going to get your lunch handed to you without a bag. Its tense being on a team where the locker room is split and one group is blowing off the coaching staff. That's a recipe for a train wreck which was the Flyers last spring.

I don't beleive that any person or group was blowing off the Coaching staff. You win as a team and lose as a team. And everyone in that locker room was responsible for what happened last Spring.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:37 AM
JABEE

Good. No use living in the past. I thought it was funny when he said we got five players for "those guys." Briere definitely was in favor of them leaving,

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Wing or Retire!

vCash: 156
People really enjoy reading deeply into written statements that aren't entirely in context of their original conversation, and which can't convey what the individual actually feels. It wasn't long ago when Briere sounded like he wasn't entirely in favor of it.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:57 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Lets not read between the lines too much.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:04 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
Good. No use living in the past. I thought it was funny when he said we got five players for "those guys." Briere definitely was in favor of them leaving,
What basis do you have for making the statement that Briere was definitely in favor of them leaving?

Old
09-20-2011, 10:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
What basis do you have for making the statement that Briere was definitely in favor of them leaving?
He was speculating on what he said, just like anyone does. Relax, brah.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:36 AM
PhlyerPhanatic
Straight Shooter

If anything Briere chose his words carefully and didn't elude either way about Carter and Richards both leaving. He stated they were both good teammates and left it at that. I didn't find it as him being happy they were gone, but as him stating he's happy the Flyers are not above taking gambles to try to better their chances of winning.

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:39 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I think the recent Briere statements, and the reaction from it from some people is the same as it's been all Summer. Mountains out of molehills and complete over reactions. Winning solves everything. I think it's a disgrace how both Richards and Carter have been slandered this Summer.
Winning doesn't solve everything though. Obviously, no one knows what went on inside the locker room and whether or not there were problems or if they are all just misperceptions from media and fans. But if there is tension in a locker room between players, regardless of winning or losing, that tension will remain. It may not be at the forefront and have any type of impact, but if tension is there its there.

I wouldn't say Richards and Carter have been slandered at all. People are free to speculate as to whatever they want. I don't think anyone (at least that I have seen) has definitively said that Ricahrds and Carter did anything wrong, only what it seems like was going on behind the closed doors. It isnt slander if it is true and other than guys saying they are professionals and such, which is to be expected since I wouldn't think a guy like Pronger or Briere is going to come out and say, hey Richards and Carter were the problem, now we're golden! Again, I'm not saying they were the problem or even that there was a problem, that's just the way it seems from the outside looking in. My speculation as to what went on is just as good as yours because at least until this point, there isn't anything really definitive as to what went on and it is all speculation.

Old
09-20-2011, 10:45 AM
Infiniti plus 1

I get the feeling Briere let slip that he wasn't bummed losing "those guys" (I was!) and followed up with some political correctness how they were "good teammates, nothing bad to say". It really makes me wonder what it was like in that locker room. After all this, I can picture Richie and Carter keeping only to themselves and not really bonding with the rest of the team. Just an assumption though. I wish, that they could have sent the same message by trading only Carter. If that pissed off Richie enough to want out the next year then so be it. I just feel like the Finals were almost a lock with Richards and Bryz on the same team.

Infiniti plus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:29 AM
BernieParent

Briere is enough of a veteran to be positive about the team the way it has been reworked, which doesn't mean he is glad to see Richards and Carter gone.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:35 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

I posted this in it's own thread...

I suppose it's "slander" for the owner to suggest that the organization as PART of their thinking saw that they weren't going to GROW or be CONSISTENT with Richards and Carter on the team so they reassessed things (i.e. the culture) .The slander comes in if he suggests that drinking and partying were also PART of the THINKING but then if he suggested it or confirmed it then it wouldn't be slander so he left it to speculation..no surprise. Snider is good at talking out of both sides of his mouth and denying the obvious sometimes especially when he won't mention what the other PART of his or the organization's THINKING was.

As I've noted in the past until we see some autobiographies we won't know the entire story (just PARTS)...but I think it won't be long..a few more years or sooner.

Quote:
Though he remains a fan, the outcome is no longer part of Snider's day-to-day business.

Winning a Stanley Cup is priority No. 1.

Like watching the Spectrum turned into a sports bar, the Flyers underwent their own massive facelift. Jeff Carter and Mike Richards -- their leading goal scorer and team captain -- were the centrepieces of two stunning trades. Snider pitched for No. 1 goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov. Even Snider was surprised when Holmgren told him former Pittsburgh Penguin Jaromir Jagr was coming to Philadelphia.

Snider said the Flyers were "fortunate" to even make the playoffs two years ago when they clinched a spot on the last day of the season before going all the way to a Game 6 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup finals. They followed up with one of the best starts in team history before it was forgotten thanks to a second-half fade that culminated with a second-round exit in the playoffs.

"We weren't going to kid ourselves," Snider said. "We had to take a strong look at ourselves and say, hey, we're not a consistent team. We're not growing. That's part of what went into the thinking."

He insisted Richards and Carter's active nightlife played no role in the decisions.

"I keep hearing all that stuff," Snider said. "I mean, what do you expect of young, single guys? Obviously they're going socialize and party and have fun."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376206

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:43 AM
kicksave27

I think Briere could have looked at it 2 ways.
1. Pout about the change and the youth movement up front
2. Take the change as a breath of fresh air, the kids could really blossom and be exciting.

He choose No. 2.

On a side note, he's dealt with a ton of stuff the last few years with the divorce and car accident, injuries. He really appreciates things as this point, which may be why he's so money in the playoffs. I'd love an odd couple spoof with him and claude during coatsy's corner sometime.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He was speculating on what he said, just like anyone does. Relax, brah.
I'm very relaxed thank you. I'm aware that he's speculating. I asked a simple question on what the basis of that speculation was.

Quote:
Winning doesn't solve everything though. Obviously, no one knows what went on inside the locker room and whether or not there were problems or if they are all just misperceptions from media and fans. But if there is tension in a locker room between players, regardless of winning or losing, that tension will remain. It may not be at the forefront and have any type of impact, but if tension is there its there.

I wouldn't say Richards and Carter have been slandered at all. People are free to speculate as to whatever they want. I don't think anyone (at least that I have seen) has definitively said that Ricahrds and Carter did anything wrong, only what it seems like was going on behind the closed doors. It isnt slander if it is true and other than guys saying they are professionals and such, which is to be expected since I wouldn't think a guy like Pronger or Briere is going to come out and say, hey Richards and Carter were the problem, now we're golden! Again, I'm not saying they were the problem or even that there was a problem, that's just the way it seems from the outside looking in. My speculation as to what went on is just as good as yours because at least until this point, there isn't anything really definitive as to what went on and it is all speculation.
Winning absolutely solves everything. It absolutely is slander. It doesn't seem that way from the outside looking in to me. It's all based on unfounded and unsubstantiated rumor. And I don't know about you, but I give two players who have been very good players for the Flyers, and played their hearts out, the benefit of the doubt. And I won't discredit them as players and people without facts to support it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BernieParent View Post
Briere is enough of a veteran to be positive about the team the way it has been reworked, which doesn't mean he is glad to see Richards and Carter gone.
Absolutely