HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Preseason #1 & 2: Flames def. Canucks 5-1 / Canucks def. Flames 4-3

Old
09-20-2011, 10:47 AM
ddawg1950

vCash: 500
It seems to me that the disparity between the vets and the wannabes is evened out on the ice. The vets are assured of a spot and just getting their game legs and their timing down. The rooks and fringe players are trying to get noticed and are going all out. I think we'll see a pretty competitive game.

ddawg1950 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:00 AM
billvanseattle

Does this even meet the minimum NHL experience required for preseason games???

billvanseattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:14 AM
Corb

At this point, I'm most interested in Hodgson and Nolan. I really hope Nolan can still play.

Corb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:23 AM
Winroba
Keep Calm, Kassi On

we're gonna get murdered

Winroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:25 AM
silvercanuck

Manny Malhotra was never an offensive star in junior and most scouts did not project him as a top six NHL forward. The fact that he was drafted 7th overall has no bearing on where he would play in the NHL.

Cody Hodgson was a star in the OHL when he was drafted. He may not become a first line player in the NHL, but he pretty much has to contribute offensively because he is smaller and isn't a great skater.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:47 AM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownbello View Post
I had a random thought before falling asleep last night. Malhotra was drafted what 7th overall by the Rangers, fans and media thought he would develop into their number 1 or 2 centre. He had won everything in the OHL. I think John Mukler was his coach and he was being criticized by the media because in Malhotra's second year he was benched or played on the lower lines, and I believe Mukler then said something like Malhotra's not a top 6 player but a 3rd liner, a very good 3rd liner. Anyways and now we see and appreciate Malhotra for what he is, not a top end scorer like New York expected but a smart hockey player, good leader and a great face off man.
I'm wondering if we're doing the same thing with Cody Hodgson. Sometimes our expectations (which could very well be unrealistic) can cloud our judgment and we can miss the value of Cody for who he really is. I think non of us can doubt his hard work? His drive? His willingness to win? He has should that all through his OHL career and the especially this past summer. My expectation is that Cody will be a smart player and work hard to always improve! I want to be able to appreciate what Cody brings, not what I imagine him to bring! Anyways gotta get ready for work!
Hodgsons skill level is a lot higher than what Malhotras was. Hodgson is closer to a first line center than he is a third liner(At the end of his development)

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:49 AM
Speediakal
Hometown Discount

Finally. Hockey.

Speediakal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
metric

I am a bit peeved that Hodgson is stuck with Duco and Oreskovich when he could at least be with Archibald. But it's the first preseason game so let's just hope next time he plays with more legit players. At least Duco has more offensive skill than Glass. Glass was never much of a scorer at any level. Duco at least used to put the puck in the net, like Oreskovich.

Hodgson should be playing in the Vancouver game lineup though.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:04 PM
VanEric

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Manny Malhotra was never an offensive star in junior and most scouts did not project him as a top six NHL forward. The fact that he was drafted 7th overall has no bearing on where he would play in the NHL.

Cody Hodgson was a star in the OHL when he was drafted. He may not become a first line player in the NHL, but he pretty much has to contribute offensively because he is smaller and isn't a great skater.
Just look at the guys drafted around Malhotra. Sometimes it's just not a deep draft. There wound up being other better players taken later but it's not really fair to judge a draft that way, IMO.

5. Vitaly Vishnevski
6. Rico Fata
7. Manny Malhotra
8. Mark Bell
9. Michael Rupp

VanEric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
Catamarca Livin

Why is everyone worried who CoHo plays with. If he needs other players to prop him up he is not ready. He is playing and he talent or lack thereof will show. He is a two way center not a sniping winger.

Catamarca Livin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Canucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Catamarca Livin View Post
Why is everyone worried who CoHo plays with. If he needs other players to prop him up he is not ready. He is playing and he talent or lack thereof will show. He is a two way center not a sniping winger.
It's pretty simple, if you have hacks on your line you won't have the puck nearly as much and its harder to make plays because the plays end on their sticks. He might be able to shine when the puck is on his stick but he can't keep the puck all night.

Canucker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:37 PM
brownbello

Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post

Here's a quick glimpse of Many before being drafter.

Malhotra was drafted in the first round as the seventh overall pick of the 1998 NHL Entry Draft by the New York Rangers. He joined the NHL after a two-year career in the Ontario Hockey League (OHL) with the Guelph Storm, with whom he served as captain in his final year. Winning a J. Ross Robertson Cup championship and subsequently appearing in the 1998 Memorial Cup with the Storm, Malhotra also earned a Bobby Smith Trophy, George Parsons Trophy and Memorial Cup All-Star honours as a junior. Internationally, Malhotra has represented Canada in under-18 competition, two World Junior Championships and one World Championship. Serving as team captain at the 2000 World Junior Championships, Malhotra led Canada to a bronze medal.

When he was drafted I remember him being compared to Adam Graves... can't quote me on that but Many was seen as someone who would take New York over the top. It was a pretty big deal.

brownbello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:58 PM
metric

Stefan Schneider has a broken hand so Lapierre takes his spot tonight. That third line looks pretty solid now.

metric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:07 PM
Lucbourdon
Kefka cheers for Van

I hope nolan looks amazing

Lucbourdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:11 PM
Nachoman AlfieSavage*

About time. Hockey is BACK! Woot!

Nachoman AlfieSavage* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:29 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

Duco and Oreskovich could end up being the 4th line wingers to start the season; they'll obviously need a centerman...

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:34 PM
opendoor

Quote:
Originally Posted by billvanseattle View Post
Does this even meet the minimum NHL experience required for preseason games???
Just barely. I think now we're seeing why they signed all those guys to PTO contracts. You need to dress at least 8 "veterans" (defined as guys with 100+ games in the NHL, 30+ games in the last season, or a 1st round pick from last year's draft) and the Canucks have exactly that on each roster:

@ Calgary:

Oreskovich
Dimitrakos
Begin
Fedoruk
Eriksson
Sulzer
Alberts
Legace

vs. Calgary:

Ebbett
Nolan
Jensen
Lapierre (last minute addition)
Ballard
Tanev
Parent
Rome
Schneider

5 of the 8 veterans for the game in Calgary are on PTOs.

opendoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Shareefruck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canucker View Post
It's pretty simple, if you have hacks on your line you won't have the puck nearly as much and its harder to make plays because the plays end on their sticks. He might be able to shine when the puck is on his stick but he can't keep the puck all night.
Then we'll see how he handles that and how much Hodgson has improved in terms of his play away from the puck, physically, and in terms of speed.

I like this setup. Get all the cuts out of the way and see who can play in adverse situations, then the next game, the Veterans won't need to baby-sit as many of these guys and can legitimately work on their chemistry with a nearly full-lineup.

We know Hodgson can make plays, but that isn't his weakness and there are other more important things to test him on.

Besides, it's one preseason game.

Shareefruck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:53 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shareefruck View Post
Then we'll see how he handles that and how much Hodgson has improved in terms of his play away from the puck, physically, and in terms of speed.

I like this setup. Get all the cuts out of the way and see who can play in adverse situations, then the next game, the Veterans won't need to baby-sit as many of these guys and can legitimately work on their chemistry with a nearly full-lineup.

We know Hodgson can make plays, but that isn't his weakness and there are other more important things to test him on.

Besides, it's one preseason game.
I agree. It's a long pre-season. Hodgson will get chances with good team mates. Let's see what he can do with less skilled guys too.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:16 PM
Kickassguy

Send a message via ICQ to Kickassguy Send a message via MSN to Kickassguy
So both games are being streamed on CDC tonight?

Kickassguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:23 PM
Karl Hungus

Anyone think Nolan will drop the gloves tonight? He had a good season in Calgary and he might want to make an impact.

Karl Hungus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:39 PM
npham

I'll be at the game in Calgary to see how far along Hodgson has come this year. Finally get to see some live hockey after the worst summer ever! Anyone want me to scout anyone in particular?

npham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:47 PM
Nuck This

Quote:
Originally Posted by npham View Post
I'll be at the game in Calgary to see how far along Hodgson has come this year. Finally get to see some live hockey after the worst summer ever! Anyone want me to scout anyone in particular?
Hodgson, Archibald, Grenier, Friesen, Connauton, Erixon and Corrardo please. All the young players.

Nuck This is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:55 PM
LickTheEnvelope
6th Overall Blows

I was shocked Calgary wasn't playing Iginla like last year where they played all their vets basically every game in pre-season, then I realized Iginla is hurt with back spasms...

LickTheEnvelope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:04 PM
YogiCanucks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speediakal View Post

Finally. Hockey.
Yeah, todays games will be cool but I can't wait for the Canucks to start playing!

YogiCanucks is offline   Reply With Quote