HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

FINAL RANGERS PROSPECT POLL RESULTS (Summer 2011)

View Poll Results: How do Ranger prospects stack up compared to the rest of the league?
1-5 4 6.25%
6-10 50 78.13%
11-20 10 15.63%
21-30 0 0%
Voters: 64. You may not vote on this poll

Old
08-11-2011, 01:11 PM
Beacon
Sent to HF Minors

vCash: 500
If Weise could add speed, he would be a third liner given his physical ability and knack for scoring.

Beacon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
08-11-2011, 01:39 PM
ColonialsHockey10

Sting, you'd really rather have Tinordi over McIlrath?

ColonialsHockey10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-13-2011, 06:35 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColonialsHockey10 View Post
Sting, you'd really rather have Tinordi over McIlrath?
Easily. I believe very strongly that mental preparation and strong fundamentals are the key for success, and I also firmly believe that in most cases, players who don't have that by the time they are drafted are not very likely to get there. It's something that needs to already be there.

Tinordi is less athletic and dynamic, but he's smarter and has a much stronger understanding of how to play defense. He's more than just flashy big hits. He's much better when it comes to little defensive plays, the likes of which need to be handled far more often than situations that end with big hit opportunities. Big Mac has a long way to go. He is an inefficient player, and that's the least desirable quality any player can have. The Scott Gomezs, the Olli Jokinens, the Dion Phaneufs...these are the players around the league who have a lot of talent but don't play the game efficiently, and are players I don't want to see the Rangers adding. Guys who frustrate their coach's and make a lot of mistakes. If McIlrath makes it, great. He'll have beat the odds. But I prefer drafting players for whom the odds are more favorable.

NYR Sting is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-14-2011, 04:40 PM
gravytrain6t

These kids are much too young and many good too great players have been taken later in the first round or in the draft so instead of predicting how good/bad these kids will become, I'll wait and see what happens before whipping out the Likert Scale. Main thing is, at least the organization has made a commitment (or so it seems) to building a team through the draft and picking up good young talent (like McDonagh, Zuccarello, etc).

I don't think anyone stands out that much (as opposed to teams who have been losing year after year and drafting high) but there's certainly a lot of depth which is great because it raises the odds that you'll find a diamond in the rough.

Obviously some picks appear more promising than others, but time and again history has shown that it pays to finish near the bottom of the league (unless you're Detroit) if you want to win the Cup.

The Rangers still rely heavily on free agency while filling in the remainder of the lineup with young talent. Depth has already rewarded them in the sense that Lundqvist and Staal have become stars in this league. Good news is, I think there's more too come. I give a lot of credit to the scouting staff and Sather's willingness to not trade the kids for vets looking to cash in and stroll through the remainder of their career's.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:29 PM
satrabyk

Are u kidding me your going to put Thomas over Hagelin. Hagelin has much more potential of making it than does Thomas, no question about it. Miller also looks NHL bound in the not so distant future.

From watching prospects the guys that stick out for me are

Erixon-Potential to be a real good player in this league from what ive seen.
Hagelin-Great speed, is not afraid of contact and gets right back up, good puck possesion skills and good energy guy.
Miller-Looked good in prospect tourney, has strength, size and spped to be a good player.
Krieder-general consensus, i havent watched him much.
Valetanko-liked what i saw in the games he played last preaseason.
St croix-watching him a bit i think he has very good centerman instincts that could transfer and make him an NHL Center even as a smaller player, reminds me a bit of Bozak on the Leafs but with more edge.
Borque(possibly a third line role at best), great work ethic and speed.
and the big 6'8 goalie.

satrabyk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:42 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

vCash: 50
Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post
Are u kidding me your going to put Thomas over Hagelin. Hagelin has much more potential of making it than does Thomas, no question about it. Miller also looks NHL bound in the not so distant future.
It's a matter of upside vs. safety. Hagelin is obviously a much safer bet to make the league in some capacity, but most feel that Thomas has much higher upside. Different people give different weight to each.

It's just pain.
nyr2k2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-28-2011, 01:05 AM
gravytrain6t

Quote:
Originally Posted by satrabyk View Post

From watching prospects the guys that stick out for me are

Erixon-Potential to be a real good player in this league from what ive seen.
Hagelin-Great speed, is not afraid of contact and gets right back up, good puck possesion skills and good energy guy.
Miller-Looked good in prospect tourney, has strength, size and spped to be a good player.
Krieder-general consensus, i havent watched him much.
Valetanko-liked what i saw in the games he played last preaseason.
St croix-watching him a bit i think he has very good centerman instincts that could transfer and make him an NHL Center even as a smaller player, reminds me a bit of Bozak on the Leafs but with more edge.
Borque(possibly a third line role at best), great work ethic and speed.
and the big 6'8 goalie.
I'm not counting Thomas out yet as a 19 year old. He can skate and has one hell of a wrist shot. Right now Hagelin looks like he could either be ready to play this season or certainly the next. Thomas, may be 2-3 years away. I'm guessing he'll probably play the full 4 seasons with Oshawa. Both players imo, need to get stronger.

With that said, I'm not even sure where I specifically said Thomas is more NHL ready than Hagelin? I think my op you're referring to was before I watched the prospects tournament in Traverse.

gravytrain6t is offline   Reply With Quote