HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Snider: Mixed feelings on selling the 76ers, focus now on the Flyers

Old
09-19-2011, 10:10 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

vCash: 500
Snider: Mixed feelings on selling the 76ers, focus now on the Flyers

Some interesting insight...don't totally buy the half truth

edit: "That's part of what went into the thinking."

So what was the other part Uncle Ed?

Quote:
Though he remains a fan, the outcome is no longer part of Snider's day-to-day business.

Winning a Stanley Cup is priority No. 1.

Like watching the Spectrum turned into a sports bar, the Flyers underwent their own massive facelift. Jeff Carter and Mike Richards -- their leading goal scorer and team captain -- were the centrepieces of two stunning trades. Snider pitched for No. 1 goaltender Ilya Bryzgalov. Even Snider was surprised when Holmgren told him former Pittsburgh Penguin Jaromir Jagr was coming to Philadelphia.

Snider said the Flyers were "fortunate" to even make the playoffs two years ago when they clinched a spot on the last day of the season before going all the way to a Game 6 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in the Stanley Cup finals. They followed up with one of the best starts in team history before it was forgotten thanks to a second-half fade that culminated with a second-round exit in the playoffs.

"We weren't going to kid ourselves," Snider said. "We had to take a strong look at ourselves and say, hey, we're not a consistent team. We're not growing. That's part of what went into the thinking."

He insisted Richards and Carter's active nightlife played no role in the decisions.

"I keep hearing all that stuff," Snider said. "I mean, what do you expect of young, single guys? Obviously they're going socialize and party and have fun."

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=376206

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 09-19-2011 at 10:31 PM.
FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 6115
It's not wrong necessarily in the evaluation. More often than not the miracle Cinderella-runs crash and burn within a year or two. Although, it crashed harder for other teams than it did for the Flyers pre-off-season. Teams like the Oilers, they thought it was for real even after they traded Chris Pronger.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:48 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
"It was a knee-jerk reaction to a team getting burned out after a short offseason and with lots of injuries." is what Snider should say if he wants to be totally honest.

09-20-2011, 12:16 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

While I do think Snider is being evasive and telling a half truth..I do believe that the part about being inconsistent and not growing was a valid part of their assessment. The team has been inconsistent with the ridiculous losing streaks and cratering at key parts of the season (apart from the Cinderella cup run that almost wasn't) since the Stevens days. It's obvious he had enough and rightfully so. As far as the drinking and having fun..again that is all up to speculation and he's not biting since that stuff can come back legally as libel especially if he insinuates or confirms it was also PART of the reasoning to move them. Obviously he's going to remain ambiguous and just say what he did and in the manner he did ...

All he did was state the obvious by saying..hey they are young that's what young people do..but he's not going to say..there is also a time and place (part of umm Growth/responsibility as professionals maybe?).

Old
09-20-2011, 12:18 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

I don't think they were traded because they weren't growing as people in a way that Snider wanted. If they were, that's completely stupid. If they weren't growing into the hockey players they wanted them to be, that's a different matter.

Beef Invictus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

So are hockey players cyborgs vs human beings? I think I know what you are trying to say but given all the other noise as far as culture change etc...one can fairly deduce that there was some personal growing up required in that locker room...not growth from a skill standpoint b/c there is no questioning both players skillsets.

I mean Richards is on record as saying he doesn't know why he was traded and he probably doesn't or doesn't want to know. He needs to self reflect on his own and that is all part of growth. Same with Carter being essentially banished to Columbus (only because they gave us so much in return of course). Like I stated before..it's like being dumped by some broad and not really wanting to know deep down why because it might confirm some personal flaws you are aware of but don't want to admit because it might make it harder to move on. It's better for everybody that maybe that latent PART of the reasoning why they may have been moved remains ambiguous and left to speculation. That's just the nature of breakups that are not mutual...Eventually time heals wounds...

Old
09-20-2011, 12:31 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Dumping very skilled players because you don't think they're living up to your saintly ideals is just a bad way to run a team. If that's how the Flyers are running things now, they're going to find it hard to be competitive, because they're going to find it hard to find/keep players. People have flaws. As long as it isn't interfering with their game (and from the looks of it, Richards' and Carter's personal lives certainly wasn't) then it shouldn't be an issue.

If we had been able to draft Kane, I wonder if he'd still be a Flyer?

Old
09-20-2011, 12:39 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well keep in mind that there are other players in the locker room that have a say on how a team is run especially since they are the ones ultimately running the show. Again we don't know how much push was provided by the likes of the more vocal leaders like Briere, Pronger and Timonen...remember Timonen said he wasn't going to have milk and cookies with management at the end of the season....doesn't take a genius to read between the lines that there was disharmony in that locker room and a divide that led to too much inconsistency. The organization with the other players input assessed the situation and obviously felt that to GROW they had to possibly get rid of a couple of weeds...whether a fair assessment or not...the proof will be in the pudding. We may get pudding or what looks like pudding but is scat...if the latter happens then there will be grounds for revolution against management and those that spurred them...

Last edited by FreshPerspective: 09-20-2011 at 12:43 PM. Reason: sp
Old
09-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

I think it's more likely that they wanted new blood in the lockerroom to try and reinvigorate the group after a long and grueling Finals run and injury-riddled season, and trading Richards and Carter would get them the best blood for their buck. That makes far more sense to me, and I can deal with that.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Well keep in mind that there are other players in the locker room that have a say on how a team is run especially since they are the ones ultimately running the show. Again we don't know how much push was provided by the likes of the more vocal leaders like Briere, Pronger and Timonen...remember Timonen said he wasn't going to have milk and cookies with management at the end of the season....doesn't take a genious to read between the lines that there was disharmony in that locker room and a divide that led to too much inconsistency. The organizations with the other players input assessed the situation and obviously felt that to GROW they had to possibly get rid of a couple of weeds...whether a fair assessment or not...the proof will be in the pudding. We may get pudding or what looks like pudding but is scat...if the latter happens then there will be grounds for revolution against management and those that spurred them...
I expect some scat pudding for this season, but throwing the management under the bus immediately would probably be premature. I'd like to see how this group performs after a full season together, and how they solve the impending crisis at defense first.

If these things turn out to be coconut pudding, then I'm going to start shining my pitchfork and warming my torch.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:45 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

If your narrative is accurate...because you can take solace in it...trading your two core players to just mix it up would be a pretty radical way of approaching it. While I have my criticisms of management I don't consider them to be that freaking irresponsible or irrationally impulsive.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
If your narrative is accurate...because you can take solace in it...trading your two core players to just mix it up would be a pretty radical way of approaching it. While I have my criticisms of management I don't consider them to be that freaking irresponsible or irrationally impulsive.
I think that trading your core players essentially because you don't like them/they aren't living up to your moral standards or whatever is just as radica.l

Really, there is no way to portray this that isn't completely insane. It'll be interesting and a pleasant surprise if it works, and a potential massacre inside the organization if it fails.

Old
09-20-2011, 01:15 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

All teams experience ebbs and flows and scat pudding during a season....it's when they are pronounced and occur consistently that there is a problem. While I don't think the Flyers will be as successful from a points perspective for many reasons including more parity in the conference...I do expect to see a more consistent product even in losses. The thing that irked me over years when Richards and Carter were on the team was how we lost in those horrendous losing streaks or key points in the year..not that we lost. With Bryzgalov in net we should also see less pronounced streaks of less than stellar play. Again I think in the first half they will be slightly above .500 but then in the second half I expect them to gell and make a nice run when it matters most rather than peter out like they have. As long as they GROW and not regress..I'll be content and no pitchforks will be sharpened. Just want to see progress and I think we will....otherwise Holmgren's bike accident will seem like a minor flesh wound...

Old
09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

Well, the defense is set to have a massive regression.

Old
09-20-2011, 05:20 PM
SgtJoseph

I guess i am an Ed Snider loyalist after watching how he and others built the Flyers from scratch back during the NHL expansion in the 60s.I would not go and watch an NBA game if i got free tickets to game 7 of a final.....Just never really liked NBA basketball and the whole culture it represents today etc, good for him in his decision to focus on the Flyers at this late stage of his life.....Say what you want, but Ed Snider is the reason we have a team with such a great history and tradition, he gets a free pass in my book.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote