HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Briere sounds happy they are gone?

Old
09-20-2011, 01:06 PM
mja
Negative Creep

vCash: 500
I think the first quote really doesn't mean anything, I think it is just a bit of stream of consciousness jumble and that the use of the word luck isn't intended to refer back to Richie & Carter's departures.

BUT...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briere
"I don't want to throw those guys under the bus," he said. "They were good teammates. I really have nothing bad to say against them as teammates, you know? For their careers, I think (the trade) might be a good thing for them, as well. All of a sudden now the pressure is on them to start performing. It's good for both sides. If everything turns out, it could be one of those trades where it worked out for the team and it worked out for the player."
...doesn't exactly sound like a ringing endorsement for Richie or Carter.

Could Briere be one of the Dry Island leaks? I sure as hell hope not.

mja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:16 PM
rafman522

I personally think he is relieved from the trades. its wierd during the playoffs the people stepping up were the young players, like z jvr and giroux. So during his pump up talks briere was probably trying to get carts and rich going, cause i feel like they slacked alot after the allstar game. now briere still feels that this team can still be a cup contender and is excited for the young players to step up into their own

rafman522 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:22 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by rafman522 View Post
I personally think he is relieved from the trades. its wierd during the playoffs the people stepping up were the young players, like z jvr and giroux. So during his pump up talks briere was probably trying to get carts and rich going, cause i feel like they slacked alot after the allstar game. now briere still feels that this team can still be a cup contender and is excited for the young players to step up into their own
Richards was playing despite the fact that he needed his wrist surgically repaired, and Carter had a knee injury during playoffs...Pronger wasn't very good because of his injuries, should we hold it against him as well?

After the all-star game and during that slump, Carter and Giroux were all that kept the team alive on offense, so I don't really know how he was being lazy then.

09-20-2011, 01:42 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

Carter is not happy he is gone.

[FGSB]

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:52 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

"Oh ****, there's media here too?!"

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:54 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
Carter is not happy he is gone.

[FGSB]
Lol. It sucks pretty bad for Carter. Richards got traded to a solid, playoff and maybe cup contending team in LA. Carter got sent to one of the worst teams, franchises, and areas in sports.

I think Homer had it out for Carter.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:03 PM
Snipsnap12

I also asked Sam C on twitter yesterday if the room felt any different, and he said it felt much more loose, and if you watch one of Laviolette's video's on flyers.nhl.com he was told by a reporter that they noticed a difference in the room, and that guys were having fun, people were joking, and it wasnt quiet and uncomfortable.

This could just be solely because its training camp and everyone wants to fit in and have fun, but when outsiders are noticing it there is likely something there.

Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:07 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I would say the Columbus GM had it out for Carter.....

I like our return for Carter....in the near term Columbus got what they needed and we got what we needed to extend our window.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:25 PM
JABEE

I don't know how you don't read that article and see Briere holding back his positivity towards the trade. Saying that he couldn't believe their "luck" and saying receiving 5 players for those two guys. Just those two guys.

JABEE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:43 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JABEE View Post
I don't know how you don't read that article and see Briere holding back his positivity towards the trade. Saying that he couldn't believe their "luck" and saying receiving 5 players for those two guys. Just those two guys.
Because it's equally easy to interpret it as "This much turnover is pushing our luck"

Old
09-20-2011, 02:45 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Richards was playing despite the fact that he needed his wrist surgically repaired, and Carter had a knee injury during playoffs...Pronger wasn't very good because of his injuries, should we hold it against him as well?

After the all-star game and during that slump, Carter and Giroux were all that kept the team alive on offense, so I don't really know how he was being lazy then.
Carter has also been injured in every single play-offs that he has competed in. Pronger has been known to be one of the greatest play-off performers to ever play in the NHL. Slight difference there.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:51 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeCrush28 View Post
I also asked Sam C on twitter yesterday if the room felt any different, and he said it felt much more loose, and if you watch one of Laviolette's video's on flyers.nhl.com he was told by a reporter that they noticed a difference in the room, and that guys were having fun, people were joking, and it wasnt quiet and uncomfortable.

This could just be solely because its training camp and everyone wants to fit in and have fun, but when outsiders are noticing it there is likely something there.

Sam Carchidi is the last guy you should go to for insight on the Flyers. He is completely clueless. Not to mention that he has a personal issue and bias that continues in his writing to this day.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:54 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Carter has also been injured in every single play-offs that he has competed in. Pronger has been known to be one of the greatest play-off performers to ever play in the NHL. Slight difference there.
Pronger has had many more playoffs to prove himself. If anything, the way Carter has played through injuries shows he has the drive and determination to succeed in the playoffs once he makes it there healthy.

edit: he also hasn't been injured in "every single playoffs."

Old
09-20-2011, 03:30 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
I thought that was one of the better articles of the summer. Not sure I'd say he's happy though, he's just moving on...as a veteran leader and professional should. There did seem to be an aura in the article of a burden being lifted though, but that could easily be mistaken for optimism, which Danny clearly is.

But if this offseason teaches us anything, it's that players, GMs, coaches, and owners will never tell us everything. We can assume and speculate all we want about why Richards and Carter were traded, and we may be right. But the players/coaches/bosses, etc. will never out these guys because there is a ton of respect for them. The Flyers organization has two important people in its ranks that are typically brutally honest in Bob Clarke and Ed Snider, and both have hinted at things all summer. The fact is that we may never know exactly why they were moved. I just see it as unfair that some people get torched here for speculating reasons and others will take the word of Holmgren, Snider, or someone else...the same guys who told Jeff Carter to his face (apparently) that he wasn't being shopped.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Sam Carchidi is the last guy you should go to for insight on the Flyers. He is completely clueless. Not to mention that he has a personal issue and bias that continues in his writing to this day.
So who should we follow for insight?

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:38 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
I thought that was one of the better articles of the summer. Not sure I'd say he's happy though, he's just moving on...as a veteran leader and professional should. There did seem to be an aura in the article of a burden being lifted though, but that could easily be mistaken for optimism, which Danny clearly is.

But if this offseason teaches us anything, it's that players, GMs, coaches, and owners will never tell us everything. We can assume and speculate all we want about why Richards and Carter were traded, and we may be right. But the players/coaches/bosses, etc. will never out these guys because there is a ton of respect for them. The Flyers organization has two important people in its ranks that are typically brutally honest in Bob Clarke and Ed Snider, and both have hinted at things all summer. The fact is that we may never know exactly why they were moved. I just see it as unfair that some people get torched here for speculating reasons and others will take the word of Holmgren, Snider, or someone else...the same guys who told Jeff Carter to his face (apparently) that he wasn't being shopped.

So who should we follow for insight?
There's a big difference between shopping a player, and listening to any trade offers that are brought to you. By all indications, Carter wasn't being shopped. But Columbus was talking to the Flyers showing interest in Carter for some time. That is not shopping a player.

So id Snider is brutally honest, then his recent comments that the night life had nothing to do with the trades, should set a lot of things straight.

Out of the beat writers, Frank Seravalli is the best in my opinion. Carchidi and Pannacio are pretty worthless.

Overall, Bill Meltzer is by far the best NHL analyst covering the Flyers.

Old
09-20-2011, 03:50 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

vCash: 580
Quote:
There's a big difference between shopping a player, and listening to any trade offers that are brought to you. By all indications, Carter wasn't being shopped. But Columbus was talking to the Flyers showing interest in Carter for some time. That is not shopping a player.

So id Snider is brutally honest, then his recent comments that the night life had nothing to do with the trades, should set a lot of things straight.

Out of the beat writers, Frank Seravalli is the best in my opinion. Carchidi and Pannacio are pretty worthless.

Too bad Meltzer's overseas covering Hovinen and some others. I don't mind either, but Carchidi and a couple others have been on the ball with individual reports during training camp (via Twitter). With a revamped prospect pool and a couple open spots on the NHL roster, that's what I want to see right now.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:59 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by sobrien View Post
Too bad Meltzer's overseas covering Hovinen and some others. I don't mind either, but Carchidi and a couple others have been on the ball with individual reports during training camp (via Twitter). With a revamped prospect pool and a couple open spots on the NHL roster, that's what I want to see right now.
He's not overseas, he is in Philly. Carchidi has never been on the ball. He's a high school sports reporter thrown on the Hockey beat. He has little knowledge or insight on the sport of Hockey.

Old
09-20-2011, 04:45 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
I think it seems like he's saying there's been too much change.
What?

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:49 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
What?
If you change a team too much it can do more harm than good.

Old
09-20-2011, 04:54 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

I am not a big fan of the media in particular the hockey writers around here in this area. Jay Greenberg was not to shabby. Not since Bill F. and Jack C. have we had really good writers with knowledge and understanding of the game. Frank S. I can tolerate. But Timmy P. is a Eskin wanna be.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:59 PM
tuckrr

Quote:
He didnt say that at all.

tuckrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:05 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
and you talk of others reading to much into it lol. At least everyone else is going along the same lines.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:17 PM
El Emperor

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Lol. It sucks pretty bad for Carter. Richards got traded to a solid, playoff and maybe cup contending team in LA. Carter got sent to one of the worst teams, franchises, and areas in sports.

Not sure if Columbus is a bad area for sports, but with Ohio State, any pro sports team will have an uphill battle to get those fans to the games.

Having said that, who knows, maybe Carter lights it up and gives that team someone other than Nash to build a fan base.

To be honest, I'm surprised it wasn't Carter to LA, Richards to Columbus as I think Richie would have more line chemistry with Nash... But our return for both players was great, so I won't complain.

El Emperor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:22 PM
Chicken Chaser
Zaphod Beeblebrox

Quote:
Perhaps as well, but they didn't change over the team in the sense that the Maple Leafs or Rangers famously have (outside of Jagr possibly), but he has retooled this team a few times now and it has changed since he took his seat a number of years ago, a Cup appearance and 2 ECF's along with all that change isn't sooo bad. I'm confident they made the right choice, I just hope Breire/Timonen/Pronger can find some of that fountain of youth or lots of duct tape to keep the wheels on
I just want them to play as a team and have fun winning together, not in spite of one another. Perhaps that will be nice to see, for a change.

Chicken Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:23 PM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Beef Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuckrr View Post
He didnt say that at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
and you talk of others reading to much into it lol. At least everyone else is going along the same lines.
Except I never said that's truly what I believe, or it's what I got from it.

I'm showing that it's pretty easy to find whatever you want from that quote if you want to start looking for hidden meanings. Some people choose to see "zomgs he hates richards and carter! proof!" when it's just as easy to see "zomgs he thinks too much has changed and theyre pushing their luck! Proof!"

Personally, I didn't think either of those things when I read that quote. When I read it I thought he was trying to say there are a lot of good players here, and things are pretty different. I doubt Briere was throwing anybody under the bus. He's being positive about the upcoming year.