HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > Other Leagues > The KHL
The KHL Discuss the Continental Hockey League (Kontinentalnaya Hokkeynaya Liga).

Non-Russian high-end prospects in the KHL/VHL/MHL

Old
09-19-2011, 02:21 PM
cska78

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to cska78 Send a message via Yahoo to cska78
Non-Russian high-end prospects in the KHL/VHL/MHL

who are they if any?

cska78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 02:46 PM
smitty10

Former Oilers prospect Alexei Mikhnov and his brother Andrei who was a Blues prospect are both Ukrainian and play in the KHL, however Alexei represents Russia. Sobchenko (RIP) was Ukrainian, but represented Russia internationally. Zherdev is also a Ukrainian, but again represents Russia.

Former Blues prospect Viktor Alexandrov is Kazakhstani, as is former Leafs prospect Maxim Semenov and former LA King Konstantin Pushkarev. Goaltenders Yeremeyev and Kolesnik both spent some time in the NHL as backups (NYR and Colorado respectively). I hear that Kazakhstani defenseman Roman Savchenko (23yo) is pretty good and if he decides to could play in the NHL. There was a rumour last year that Tampa was interested in Vadim Krasnoslobodtsev, but nothing happened there.

Lauris Darzins (NSH) and Martins Karsums (TB) of Latvia are both property of NHL teams currently. Janis Sprukts played in Florida for a while and Sandis Ozolinsh was a prominent NHL defenseman in the 90's and early 2000's. Jekabs and Krisjanis Redlihs were both drafted and spent some time in the AHL. Roberts Bukarts is likely the best current Latvian under 22 that still plays in the KHL and he could maybe end up with an NHL contract one day.

Former Belarussian first round pick Konstantin Koltsov plays in the KHL, as does former Rangers free agent signing Vladimir Denisov. There was talk this summer that Tampa Bay is very interested in Minsk defenseman Dmitri Korobov.

Don't think there is really anyone else from the former Soviet Union (non-Russia) who plays in the KHL and is/was an NHL prospect. None of these guys are mindblowing or "high-end", but some of them may have NHL futures, especially guys like Darzins, Karsums, Korobov and Savchenko if they ever decide to come to the NHL.

smitty10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:16 PM
vorky
@vorkywh24

we will see what will happen will Rihards Bukarts born 95 from Kapitan Stupino. He started season very well
http://mhl.khl.ru/players/18411/

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 03:53 PM
Soldiers from Neva

These players you mention from Kazakhstan might be Kazakh nationals (with duel citizenship), but calling them 'Kazakhstani' or whatever is not exactly correct. That is an ethnicity and they players you listed are Russian and Ukrainian.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post
Former Oilers prospect Alexei Mikhnov and his brother Andrei who was a Blues prospect are both Ukrainian and play in the KHL, however Alexei represents Russia. Sobchenko (RIP) was Ukrainian, but represented Russia internationally. Zherdev is also a Ukrainian, but again represents Russia.

Former Blues prospect Viktor Alexandrov is Kazakhstani, as is former Leafs prospect Maxim Semenov and former LA King Konstantin Pushkarev. Goaltenders Yeremeyev and Kolesnik both spent some time in the NHL as backups (NYR and Colorado respectively). I hear that Kazakhstani defenseman Roman Savchenko (23yo) is pretty good and if he decides to could play in the NHL. There was a rumour last year that Tampa was interested in Vadim Krasnoslobodtsev, but nothing happened there.

Lauris Darzins (NSH) and Martins Karsums (TB) of Latvia are both property of NHL teams currently. Janis Sprukts played in Florida for a while and Sandis Ozolinsh was a prominent NHL defenseman in the 90's and early 2000's. Jekabs and Krisjanis Redlihs were both drafted and spent some time in the AHL. Roberts Bukarts is likely the best current Latvian under 22 that still plays in the KHL and he could maybe end up with an NHL contract one day.

Former Belarussian first round pick Konstantin Koltsov plays in the KHL, as does former Rangers free agent signing Vladimir Denisov. There was talk this summer that Tampa Bay is very interested in Minsk defenseman Dmitri Korobov.

Don't think there is really anyone else from the former Soviet Union (non-Russia) who plays in the KHL and is/was an NHL prospect. None of these guys are mindblowing or "high-end", but some of them may have NHL futures, especially guys like Darzins, Karsums, Korobov and Savchenko if they ever decide to come to the NHL.

Soldiers from Neva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 06:03 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty10 View Post

I know I am on a Canadian board here, but I meant young up-and-coming players with high-end KHL potential, for example like Podzinsh (even though he's Russian trained and born if I am not mistaken), I know that Lev has a few young guys as well.

Old
09-19-2011, 06:56 PM
malkinfan

Send a message via MSN to malkinfan
Who's interesting for Tatranski? Seem like no one that significant is playing there. Thought they would at least get a few young stars who would decide to play there rather than CHL. Novotny is interesting, but he's in Lev.

malkinfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-19-2011, 07:46 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
Who's interesting for Tatranski? Seem like no one that significant is playing there. Thought they would at least get a few young stars who would decide to play there rather than CHL. Novotny is interesting, but he's in Lev.
I didn't put any bound - KHL, MHL, VHL, I was trying to recall Novotny

Old
09-20-2011, 04:29 AM
vorky
@vorkywh24

Quote:
Originally Posted by malkinfan View Post
I am interesting in Tatranski Vlci. You are ring, no one of such a caliber. These guys are not even the best from slovak and czech league. If they sign Takac and Vandas (both played WJC and now for HK Poprad), so these kids seem to be interesting. Of course not caliber of Gusev and co. For Slovak conditions they are "stars".

vorky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:59 AM
ozo

Send a message via Skype™ to ozo
If I recall correctly there was a Belarussian kid who was allegedly being tapped up by St. Petersburg, though I can't remember his name.

ozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:09 AM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozo View Post
If I recall correctly there was a Belarussian kid who was allegedly being tapped up by St. Petersburg, though I can't remember his name.
Feoktistov, was wondering what happened to him myself, as he's not even playing for VMF

Old
09-20-2011, 12:28 PM
Garl

Quote:
Originally Posted by cska78 View Post
I know I am on a Canadian board here, but I meant young up-and-coming players with high-end KHL potential, for example like Podzinsh (even though he's Russian trained and born if I am not mistaken), I know that Lev has a few young guys as well.
Podzins is latvian born but russian trained.

Garl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 01:20 PM
cska78

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garl View Post
Podzins is latvian born but russian trained.
thanks for correction, I thought he was born in Moscow, was too lazy to check