HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Pittsburgh Penguins
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Devils vs Penguins (10.24.03)

Closed Thread

Old
10-24-2003, 03:49 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
PK unit just killed another penalty. This much is good.

Old
10-24-2003, 03:57 PM
AEKaki

vCash: 500
My receiver burned down, so I can't watch the game.
It sounds like the refs are giving them PPs and we're getting tripped and hooked and held but no calls...

Old
10-24-2003, 04:04 PM
john g

Straka from Eastwood

1-1 with 6.5 seconds left in the second

Old
10-24-2003, 04:04 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Straka (Eastwood, Lemieux)

Beautiful play. Great way to end the second period.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:50 PM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

If the powerplay can get going and Fleury continues his play, watch out.

Old
10-24-2003, 05:52 PM
Wingboy2999

Send a message via AIM to Wingboy2999 Send a message via Yahoo to Wingboy2999
2-1 final. How was the game overall? Didn't get to watch it. Lemieux is 2 points away.....

Old
10-24-2003, 06:22 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Argh....a 2-1 defeat...I thought the team played fairly well.....that play by Mario was amazing and Fleury continues to play exceptional (he made a believer out of one of my Devils fan buddies tonight)...I also thought Straka had a good game....on the negative side, IMO Holzinger was awful, Morozov was a bit lacking at times, and I didn't notice Abid once in the whole game.....

edit: and where was Orpik on that second goal.....

Old
10-25-2003, 02:53 AM
kutdacheez

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rowsdower 3:16
Argh....a 2-1 defeat...I thought the team played fairly well.....that play by Mario was amazing and Fleury continues to play exceptional (he made a believer out of one of my Devils fan buddies tonight)...I also thought Straka had a good game....on the negative side, IMO Holzinger was awful, Morozov was a bit lacking at times, and I didn't notice Abid once in the whole game.....

edit: and where was Orpik on that second goal.....
Eastwood let Gionta go at the blueline and Gionta puts the second goal of the night for him off the blade (of his skate) . . . Orpik (I don't think can be blamed that much) . . . certainly not any of the young kids as any more than of mentors . . . Gomez did go by Bergevin like he was a pylon. Sometimes the other team makes a good play . . . just like Eastwood's feed to Straka.

If the Penguins countinue to improve, little by little, as they have IMHO that's more than most of us expected. The biggest faults I saw last night was the (1) not putting the puck on net enough (passing up shots), and (2) the very inconsistent play of Dan Focht.

One last note . . . anyone who has had a chance to see MAF play and doesn't . . . shame on you for a lifetime. IMHO, when the sleeping Stiller fans find out how good this kid really is the attendance will boost up. Just like "it took a while" after Mario signed.

Old
10-25-2003, 05:29 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by kutdacheez
(2) the very inconsistent play of Dan Focht.
From what I saw, Bergevin and Berehowsky looked much worse.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:45 AM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Whoops.. I'll have today's game thread posted soon. Completely slipped my mind.

Old
10-25-2003, 06:55 AM
GoPenguins

I watched the game last night on Center Ice, and actually had a choice of commentaries, as the Devils feed was being shown locally. The Devils commentators, when I occasionally switched to them, were being very complimentary towards Fleury and was also talking about Mario a fair bit too.

From watching the game, I haveto agree that Bergevin and Berehowsky made more mistakes than Focht. Focht, to me, had one of his better showings, and whilst that isnt to say we can start comparing him to Lidstrom, at least to me he seems to show signs of improving his game. His fight was rather tame, but at least he had a go. Berehowsky caught the puck twice last game, which drew one penalty. Adding to his sometime errant passes, one of which set Madden I think on a clean breakaway, I'd say his game was as bad as Bergevin's.

Orpik, Tarnstrom and Melichar look to be our top 3. When Roszival returns, we might actually be able to field 2 pairs of halfway decent defensemen. If we called up Lupaschuk and demoted Baumgartner, we might get a key piece to the puzzle that is our powerplay.

A 2-1 defeat to NJ probably looks respectable. However, I am hoping for more games where we look like we are capable of scoring more than 1 goal in a game. These past two games we havent generated much offense.

What does everyone think of the ice time given to players? Whilst Mario and Tarnstrom are leading the way with 25 mins plus, our forwards seem to be logging between 10-15 mins each. Edzo is certainly using the majority of his bench. I must admit I wasnt expecting Buchberger to log that many minutes. He seemed to be on the ice a lot in the 3rd period.

Here's hoping we can find a spark tonight against the Isles. Perhaps the powerplay can get going. I am hoping we can score more goals this game. If not, Edzo might be tempted to shuffle the pack and bring up perhaps Surovy or Lefebvre or Beech. Lets Go Pens !

Closed Thread