HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > National Hockey League Talk > Polls - (hockey-related only)
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2

Best core

View Poll Results: Who has the best young core in the league?
Sens: Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Volchenkov, Emery, etc 58 52.25%
Panthers: Weiss, Horton, Stewart, Bouwmeester, Luongo, etc 9 8.11%
Thrashers: Kovalchuk, Heatley, Stefan, Coburn, Lehtonen, etc 35 31.53%
other 9 8.11%
Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old
10-20-2003, 11:27 AM
AWSAA

vCash: 120
Best core

Remember to take into account some of the players who weren't listed. (i.e Redden, Jokinen, Savard)

Please specify if you vote for the other option.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:29 AM
Pinto
Burn Them All

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by A_wildstabatanything
Please specify if you vote for the other option.
theres no where to vote

Old
10-20-2003, 11:38 AM
Ajacied
Remember #9

vCash: 500
That's a pretty fine poll. Before checking the options, I had the Senators in my mind, but the others are pretty darn impressive as well.

Lehtonen, Heatley, Kovalchuk, Coburn, Stefan.. : A for top notch talent, B for depth.

Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Volchenkov, Emery, Redden.. No holes, supurb depth. A for top notch talent, A- for depth.

Jokinen, Huseluis, Luongo, Bouwmeester, Hornton, Stewart, Weiss: B+ for top end tatent, A for depth.

So.. I godda go with Ottawa, Florida and then Atlanta..

Old
10-20-2003, 11:43 AM
Epoch

Thrashers: Kovalchuk, Heatley, Stefan, Coburn, Lehtonen, etc.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:47 AM
Robert Paulson*

I had to vote for other. I don't want to look like a homer, but the Pens have IMO the best prospect depth of any team in the league. Our top end talent isn't great, but it's not terrible.

I'd say

depth: A/A+
talent: B-/B/B+

Old
10-20-2003, 11:55 AM
south-sentral

Heatley and Kovachuck are great but IMO the addition of Spezza to the sens just puts them over the top. You got the shifty sniper in Havlat, a premier power forward ( some people would argue but Hossa's game is all power) and the playmaking centre. in Spezza who could compliment their play. Couple that in with a blueline of Redden, Volchenkov, Phillips and Rachunek who all are under the age of 26 and voila you got yourself a core that can potentially dominate for the next couple of years.

Old
10-20-2003, 01:08 PM
#37-#93-#27*

Send a message via AIM to #37-#93-#27*
Stefan hurt Atlanta in my eyes.

Sens: Hossa, Havlat, Spezza, Volchenkov, Emery, etc

Old
10-20-2003, 07:59 PM
nordique

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsGoPens63
I had to vote for other. I don't want to look like a homer, but the Pens have IMO the best prospect depth of any team in the league. Our top end talent isn't great, but it's not terrible.

I'd say

depth: A/A+
talent: B-/B/B+
It's not about prospects, it's about overall young talent...Pittsburgh doesn't have anyone to match the likes of Hossa, Spezza, Havlat, Volchenkov, Fisher, etc.

Old
10-20-2003, 11:54 PM
cyrisweb

I originally voted for Atlanta but if I could re-vote I would change my vote to Ottawa. Stefan just hurts Atlanta too much.

Old
10-21-2003, 03:21 AM
discostu

Senators. The forward depth is the best of the three, slightly edging out Atlanta. Florida is stronger in nets and have the best blueliner to build around in Boumeister, but it doesn't make up for the edge they lose with their forwards.

The margin of victory gets bigger though depending on who you consider in Ottawa's core. If Ottawa's full defence core gets thrown in there (Redden, Phillips, Chara, Rachunek and Pothier), who are all still hitting their prime, then there is no competition.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:50 AM
Vincent Vega
GGTK

Ottawa for me. They have the best forward depth and there oldest defenseman besides Curtis Leschyshyn is 26.

Old
10-21-2003, 08:26 AM
Mizral

I would put Minnesota on par with Ottawa and ahead of Florida. The Wild have a hell of an underrated young core, especially if they resign Gaborik.

Gaborik, Bouchard (whom is going to be a *hell* of a player), Mikko Koivu isn't there yet, mind you, Nick Shultz (another very underrated guy), Brent Burns - list goes on with some lesser-guys like Pascal Dupuis. The Wild have had an 18/19 year old player in their lineup *every* single year. Just goes to show how good their drafting is.

Another couple of teams that is up there is Tampa Bay & Nashville

Lecavalier, Richards, Svitov (not there yet, but look out for this guy!), Afanasankov, Fedetenko, Sarich, and a couple other useful guys. Not bad at all.

Nashville is the team I'd say has the best young core in the league though.

The Preds I really like. Legwand, whom I think is going to be one of the best centreman in this league in a couple years. Hartnell, perhaps a future Ryan Smyth. Scottie Upshall whom could be one of the best character forwards in the league some day. Jordin Tootoo who can hit like a mack truck. Dan Hamhuis who has potential to be one of the better blueliners in the league. Marian Zidlicky who is tied for the lead league in blueline points, and while that probobly won't hold up, he could have a big impact on the Preds this year. Tomas Kloucek, whom while some may have overrated him in New York, is still a highly physical blueliner who can step up and make game-changing hits. And then if you consider that Ryan Suter will be joining the team in a year or two, the Preds look to have, in my mind, the best group of young players in their organization in the league. A- for Top End talent, but an A++ for depth.

I suppose I'd rank things in a top 5, something like this:

1 - Nashville
2 - Atlanta (can't argue with the top end talent, but they have some very good depth guys, too)
3 - Minnesota
4 - Ottawa (can interchange with Minnesota pretty much)
5 - Tampa Bay

Old
10-21-2003, 09:19 AM
Burke's Evil Spirit

Like Mizral, I like Nashville a lot. I'm not a big Scott Hartnell fan, too injury-prone for my tastes, but this is a minor point. Legwand is a stud; Vokoun has many, many years left; Hamhuis, Suter, Zidlicky, and Kloucek is one hell of a group to build a blueline around; Glazachev, Upshall, and Shishkanov will be quite nice playing alongside Legwand someday; if Arkhipov and Erat ever get there careers back on track, the future in Nashville is extremely positive.

I also like the Chicago Blackhawks, who in my mind have the most under-rated group of young players in the league. They really remind me of the Quebec Nordiques of the early '90s, with their terrific set of forwards. Leading the pack is Tuomo Ruutu, who has been billed as a cross between Peter Forsberg and Mike Peca, but who I personally think will top out as a 80-point guy that plays with an edge. Then you've got the Arnason, Bell and Calder all of whom showed solid potential last season, though none of those guys are blue-chippers, just solid top-6 guys. Follow that up with the collection of talented Russian forwards Smithov has drafted: Pavel Vorobiev, Mikhail Yakoubov, Igor Radulov, and Alexander Kozhevnikov and you begin to see the crazy good offensive potential that organization boasts. There's a lot of talent at defence, too, though they're not quite as strong there. Anton Babchuk and Brent Seabrook project to be 1st/2nd defenceman, and Lasse Kukkonen is a terrific late-bloomer...however, this isn't as big an issue because god knows Chicago will have offensive depth to spare, and can move for a defenceman at some point down the line. Currently the future in net is Leighton and Anderssen, which doesn't look great, but with Thibault currently manning the pipes they can be patient with them.

Lots of people have been ignoring Pittsburgh, who have been tanking for a good reason Even if you exclude guys who have been labelled as busts in Pittsburgh, what remains is extremely solid. So, ignoring Kris Beech and Milan Kraft, there's still quantity (but, admittedly, not a lot of quality) up front with Koltsov, Sivek, Surovy, Abid, and Rico Fata who is finally showing some positive signs. Defence is a real strength for Pittsburgh, with Brooks Orpik currently with the big club and Noah Welch and Ryan Whitney waiting in the wings. Many have written Ross Lupaschuk off as an Andy Delmore-clone, but I think he still has potential to be a solid PP QB. I haven't even gotten to Marc-Andre Fleury

Nashville, Chicago, and Pittsburgh definately aren't my top three, but I think they deserve special mention. The truth remains that if any of the teams mentioned here (Nashville, Chicago, Pittsburgh, Ottawa, Minnesota, Tampa Bay, Atlanta) got some kind of fiscal stability in place, they could build a contender. If I had to rank them all...

Ottawa
Nashville
Chicago
Minnesota
Tampa Bay
Pittsburgh
Atlanta

Old
10-21-2003, 09:45 AM
Team_Spirit
Tinordi-Subban

vCash: 700
Quote:
I also like the Chicago Blackhawks, who in my mind have the most under-rated group of young players in the league. They really remind me of the Quebec Nordiques of the early '90s, with their terrific set of forwards. Leading the pack is Tuomo Ruutu, who has been billed as a cross between Peter Forsberg and Mike Peca, but who I personally think will top out as a 80-point guy that plays with an edge. Then you've got the Arnason, Bell and Calder all of whom showed solid potential last season, though none of those guys are blue-chippers, just solid top-6 guys. Follow that up with the collection of talented Russian forwards Smithov has drafted: Pavel Vorobiev, Mikhail Yakoubov, Igor Radulov, and Alexander Kozhevnikov and you begin to see the crazy good offensive potential that organization boasts. There's a lot of talent at defence, too, though they're not quite as strong there. Anton Babchuk and Brent Seabrook project to be 1st/2nd defenceman, and Lasse Kukkonen is a terrific late-bloomer...however, this isn't as big an issue because god knows Chicago will have offensive depth to spare, and can move for a defenceman at some point down the line. Currently the future in net is Leighton and Anderssen, which doesn't look great, but with Thibault currently manning the pipes they can be patient with them
I agree the Hawks have an impressive depth of quality youngs players ... they are #2 after Ottawa IMO .

Old
10-21-2003, 10:32 AM
Don'tcry4mejanhrdina

The penguins, if you are talking about best core 23 and under, but once you start looking at older players in the pens organization, then the talent gets pretty thin.

Old
10-21-2003, 04:54 PM
Koltsov71

vCash:
Ottawa Senators.

Old
10-21-2003, 05:29 PM
KillToronto

vCash:
Gotta be the sens.

Old
10-21-2003, 06:27 PM
onearmedbandit14

The Sens. Scary thing is, they are already an elite team. The names on their list of stars for now and the future is just scary. This is going to be a good team for many years to come.

Old
10-22-2003, 03:11 PM
KOMO_ROCKS

Send a message via ICQ to KOMO_ROCKS
Sens got my vote

Old
10-23-2003, 03:56 PM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Thrashers: Kovalchuk, Heatley, Stefan, Coburn, Lehtonen, etc
it was a toss-up between Atlanta & Florida.

Old
10-23-2003, 04:29 PM
Bring_Bak_Damphousse
Classless User

Had to vote for the sens

Florida is second and Atlanta 3rd...as a few others have mentioned Stefan really hurt there credibility

Old
10-23-2003, 05:17 PM
Ric Flair

Send a message via AIM to Ric Flair Send a message via MSN to Ric Flair Send a message via Yahoo to Ric Flair
Hotlanta

Old
10-23-2003, 06:49 PM
Rowsdower

Send a message via AIM to Rowsdower
Quote:
Originally Posted by nordique
It's not about prospects, it's about overall young talent...Pittsburgh doesn't have anyone to match the likes of Hossa, Spezza, Havlat, Volchenkov, Fisher, etc.
Can't argue with the 1st three, but at least IMO Orpik is similar to Volchenkov and Fischer while good, is not a top flight talent....I'm hoping Sivek can develop into a similar player...

I voted for Ottawa, with Atlanta a close second.

Old
10-24-2003, 09:16 AM
Whinks

Send a message via AIM to Whinks
Simon Gagne, Justin Williams, Joni Pitkanen, Jeff Woywitka, Dennis Seidenberg, Jim Vandermeer, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Etc...

Not the best, IMO, but they deserve some mention.

Old
10-25-2003, 07:14 AM
FlyersGuy69

Send a message via AIM to FlyersGuy69
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whinks
Simon Gagne, Justin Williams, Joni Pitkanen, Jeff Woywitka, Dennis Seidenberg, Jim Vandermeer, Jeff Carter, Mike Richards, Etc...

Not the best, IMO, but they deserve some mention.
don't forget about Radovin Somik either.

Closed Thread