HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Roberto Luongo back to take care of ‘unfinished business’

Old
09-20-2011, 10:22 PM
LiquidSnake
Agent of Chaos...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diamonddog01 View Post
The Cloutier comparison got everyone all hot and bothered, and perhaps was a bit tongue-in-cheek but at the end of the day I would far prefer him to succeed than to continue failing. He has yet to inspire me with confidence in that regard however.
Agreed. I do hope he makes me look bad

LiquidSnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
It works both ways. I remember prior to Luongo signing his lifetime contract he made some fairly tepid comments about staying here (unlike guys like Kesler, Sedin, Bieksa or Burrows), and was spoiled with an absolutely ridiculous contract.

The following offseason he was given the captaincy, only to relinquish it a few years later as he was unsuitable for the position.

He then had to have a new goaltending coach come in to "refine" his game at age 30.

Then refused pressers on gamedays.

Few players have been accommodated to as much as he has during his time here, and I would argue he's been somewhat coddled by the media and the organization thus far.

In addition to having the lifetime contract, he's also the only player on the team to have a lifetime contract, so some of us are going to hold him to a higher standard, and hold him accountable during times like the finals when he's getting pulled 3 times in 7 games.

The Cloutier comparison got everyone all hot and bothered, and perhaps was a bit tongue-in-cheek but at the end of the day I would far prefer him to succeed than to continue failing. He has yet to inspire me with confidence in that regard however.
I don't believe that. At least not from the majority of posts. No, I think the problem with the majority of Luongo's detractors is that they would rather see Luongo fail than the team succeed. Which is ridiculous.

If Vezina nominations can't inspire confidence in a goalie, he doesn't really have much of a chance.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:47 PM
Diamonddog01

Quote:
Originally Posted by YouCantYandleThis View Post
I don't believe that. At least not from the majority of posts. No, I think the problem with the majority of Luongo's detractors is that they would rather see Luongo fail than the team succeed. Which is ridiculous.

If Vezina nominations can't inspire confidence in a goalie, he doesn't really have much of a chance.
Believe what you want. The team is stuck with him for the next decade, for better or for worse, and if the team wants a cup during his tenure he needs to get his act together. Speaking for myself, I don't really get schadenfreude by watching him fail. More like experience my heart getting ripped out.

I think the majority of Luongo's supporters think that 1) any sort of criticism or disappointment means actively rooting for him to fail and that 2) his detractors recognizing that he a huge factor in the Canucks loss to the Bruins somehow means that no other player or member of the organization bears any responsibility whatsoever.

As for the Vezina nomination - if it were a Conn Smythe nomination (and if those results were publicized) then perhaps you'd have a point.

Diamonddog01 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:52 PM
YouCantYandleThis*
Moustache Enthusiast

Quote:
Believe what you want. The team is stuck with him for the next decade, for better or for worse, and if the team wants a cup during his tenure he needs to get his act together. Speaking for myself, I don't really get schadenfreude by watching him fail. More like experience my heart getting ripped out.

I think the majority of Luongo's supporters think that 1) any sort of criticism or disappointment means actively rooting for him to fail and that 2) his detractors recognizing that he a huge factor in the Canucks loss to the Bruins somehow means that no other player or member of the organization bears any responsibility whatsoever.

As for the Vezina nomination - if it were a Conn Smythe nomination (and if those results were publicized) then perhaps you'd have a point.
Luongo was as much a part of the loss as he would have been the if they won. The same as everybody else in this organization.

Anyone who has played hockey, or any sport on a team will tell you the same thing, and especially the guys in the Canucks dressing room. Really all that matters.

YouCantYandleThis* is offline   Reply With Quote