HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Andrei Kostitsyn Thread

Old
09-20-2011, 11:06 AM
Bullsmith

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonCH View Post
AK 46 will not play on the top 6 without injury
I see the lines as most others except for 1 small change
Cammy - Pleks - cole
gio - gomer - maxpac
moen - eller - ak46
I know DD may not belong on the 4th line, but if you are to follow the recipe of the top 2 lines, Moen is a better fit. as a side note: does no one else remember how good that line was last year in the playoffs?
Personally I expect JM to juggle his bottom six quite a bit. Even if Eller and AK show some of the chemistry they displayed late last season (and I'm hoping they do), we could see Darche, Moen and Desharnais all get shots at playing with them. IMO Darche might just be the bet fit, but Moen makes a lot of sense too.

What I'd really like to see is DD get some decent PP time to fill out his minutes. He has so much potential to thrive 5 on 4. I know I'm like a broken record on this theme, but it seems to me the right way to get DD decent minutes even if he's often playing on the 4th line. Then again he was finding real success as a top six winger with Gio and Gomez (the only person who really found success in that slot other than Max Pac last year, and a LOT of other guys got shots there) so who the heck knows how JM will use him. On the one hand he's always going to be too small, on the other hand the guy is incredibly versatile.

Bullsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:32 AM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

him and Pacioretty will battle for the final spot on the top6 all year.

I think Pacs have good chances to struggle this year. Last year he dominated the AHL came with the big club with a lot of confidence and he did really well.

This year he come back from a big injury . start the year in MTL I sure can see him struggle and play on the 3rd line if Kostitsyn outplay him.

Last edited by Quarantesix: 09-20-2011 at 11:39 AM.
Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:52 AM
habsjunkie2*

He likely won't start there, but he will receive plenty of opportunity in the top 6, with or without injury. I expect cole/patches to move in and out of the top 6 from time to time when things aren't going especially good and AK will get the honours. These lines won't remain stagnate throughout the year. I can guarantee that.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:56 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kriss E View Post
I think people are being rather foolish in saying he won't be in the top 6.

A season is 82 games and Martin spoke himself of a top 9 as opposed to a top 6. That pretty much means all the 9 players can be switched around. If Cole is slow to get started and doesn't seem to click much with Plek/Cammy, then I can see Martin try to bring back AK to that duo.
Anything can happen, to think a 20G-45pt scorer can't end up on the top 6 unless it's due to injuries is rather foolish imo.
Agreed krissE, the idea is to have many interchangeable parts. I don't believe AK will start the opener in the top 6, but he'll get numerous opportunities there with or without injuries. To think otherwise is pretty absurd and shows the true bias some of our own fans have towards this player. Comments like, if he plays in the top 6 I'll eat my shirt ect are pretty uninformed and uncalled for.

Old
09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Teufelsdreck

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quarantesix View Post
him and Pacioretty will battle for the final spot on the top6 all year.

I think Pacs have good chances to struggle this year. Last year he dominated the AHL came with the big club with a lot of confidence and he did really well.

This year he come back from a big injury . start the year in MTL I sure can see him struggle and play on the 3rd line if Kostitsyn outplay him.
Pacioretty on the third line? Hah! If Kostitsyn is toggled from line to line with another forward it would probably be with Cole. It's not axiomatic that Cole will star in an offensive role in Montréal.

Teufelsdreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:27 PM
WestIslander

I think an interesting line combo when 100% healthy would be:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostistyn
Cole - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais
Darche - White - Moen
Trotter

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Yemelin
Weber

Price
Budaj

WestIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 12:32 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teufelsdreck View Post
Pacioretty on the third line? Hah! If Kostitsyn is toggled from line to line with another forward it would probably be with Cole. It's not axiomatic that Cole will star in an offensive role in Montréal.
This is a very good point. Cole's style of play fits so well with JM's system, which rewards skating above all and the team has such good personnel to unlock him (especially Markov, but having speed to keep up with Pleks when he takes off is also not that common in the league. AK doesn't really have it IMO. Gio does.) that I've been assuming he'll find reasonable success on one of the top two lines but there's no guarantee at all that he will actually click in that role. From the way he looked coming into camp, AK certainly looks like he's here to compete for ice time.

Wherever they play, Cole and Pax are a major upgrade over the wingers who've been used in top six slots in the past few years. D'Agositini, Pouliot, Moen, Darche, etc. AK having to compete hard for a top six slot is a sign of significant depth at wing. At least for the moment.

Old
09-20-2011, 01:32 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestIslander View Post
I think an interesting line combo when 100% healthy would be:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostistyn
Cole - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais
Darche - White - Moen
I think this is the ideal complimentary line up to

Cammy Pleks Cole
Pacioretty GomezGionta
AK Eller DD

It would be good to see your lineup 40% of the time and the more popular one 60% of the time.

I'm a little worried about Patchesconfidencelevel as well as another above mentioned. Far too many people assume that Patches is a lock to reproduce his production rate from a smal sample last year. He might benefit as well from 3rd line weaker opposition playing with Eller and DD.

I'm worried that Gomez's potential to suck might negatively affect Patches or if Gio has a cold streak as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mats NAslund View Post
Cole did not sign in Montreal to go from playing with Staal to Desharnais and Eller. Also I think both and Cammalleri PLekanec are pushing hard for Cole.

So to answer your question, Yes you are the only one who thinks AK will start in the top 6 (injury aside)
This is funny. 50 replies later where some people agreed that AK will get top 6 time, how he can he be the only one who thinks that?

Secondly, I think your comment about Cole wasn't signed to play with Eller is short sighted. I think as Eller develops, Cole would be ideal on his wing.

Last edited by Habsfan18: 09-20-2011 at 01:40 PM.
macavoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:42 PM
Quarantesix
#Galchenyuk

Quote:
Pacio is overated by some fans right now. Martin won't hesitate to put him on the 3rd or even 4th line if he struggle . He's still a young player and after 2 years of Martin we know how he work. Veteran have there place lock but young players have short leash .

They pay Cole to be a top6 forward so he will be one all year.

Quarantesix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 02:50 PM
Bullsmith

Quote:
Originally Posted by macavoy View Post
I think this is the ideal complimentary line up to

Cammy Pleks Cole
Pacioretty GomezGionta
AK Eller DD

It would be good to see your lineup 40% of the time and the more popular one 60% of the time.

I'm a little worried about Patchesconfidencelevel as well as another above mentioned. Far too many people assume that Patches is a lock to reproduce his production rate from a smal sample last year. He might benefit as well from 3rd line weaker opposition playing with Eller and DD.

I'm worried that Gomez's potential to suck might negatively affect Patches or if Gio has a cold streak as well.

This is funny. 50 replies later where some people agreed that AK will get top 6 time, how he can he be the only one who thinks that?

Secondly, I think your comment about Cole wasn't signed to play with Eller is short sighted. I think as Eller develops, Cole would be ideal on his wing.
I have to disagree here. I see Cole as a guy who thrives for the fast break, either as the recepient of a breakout pass or as a threat on the puck carrier's wing. To me he's best suited with guys who are exceptionally quick and who excell at hitting him in stride. Eller, on the other hand, is more of a puck possession player who has shown decent but not elite puck distribution skills. I see him thriving with big guys who thrive on the boards and love to battle and create chaos like he does. I guess Cole has the size to be an effective muckraker with Eller, but I see him as a more natural fit with Pleks or Gomez or even DD. Just my two cents.

Old
09-20-2011, 02:53 PM
TankEller*

Quote:
Cole's production isn't going to be exactly the only important contribution to his line. His style of play really can make Cammalleri's, Plekanec's, Gomez's and Gionta's lives easier though. Same for Pacioretty.

As for Kostitsyn, while he can make their lives easier sometimes, he's not doing it night it and night out. In Cole, you know you have a guy who's going in the corners, chases the puck, and gets in front of the net night in and night out. Same with (hopefully) Pacioretty.

Kostitsyn will start on the 3rd line, where another player (Eller) will do the dirty work with ease from time to time. These two will help each other. Gionta/Gomez/Plekanec/Cammalleri need a Cole or a Pacioretty much more than they need a Kostitsyn.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 05:04 PM
Mr. Hab

Kostitsyn will NOT play in the top 6 (unless a top 6 winger gets injured).

Our Habs have a lot of depth this year with wingers and centers
4 centers that can play top 9: Pleks, Gomez, Eller, Desharnais.
6 wingers that can play top 6: Cammalleri, Cole, Pacioretty, Gionta, Desharnais, A.Kosts.

We (imo) need one more top 4 dman ''minute-cruncher'' and our D-depth is VERY solid (unless at least 2 or 3 out of Yemelin, Weber, Spacek, and maybe Diaz...can be solid minute crunchers to help Subban/Gorges/Gill). IMO, A.Kosts will be used as trade bait to get this top 4 dman (minute-cruncher) this season (unless we get many injuries to our wingers).

Desharnais and A.Kostitsyn: there as backup to top 6 wingers (injury or a winger that is not playing so well). Desharnais can also be backup to any top 6 or top 9 center that gets injured. Great depth.

Kostitsyn has lots of chemistry with Eller...together they can provide the team with a 3rd line that can provide 2nd line offence. I'd be surprised to see anything else but the lineup below (unless there are injuries):

Cammalleri - Pleks - Cole
Pacioretty - Gomez - Gionta
DD/Moen - Eller - A.Kosts (DD at center if Eller can't start season)
Moen/Darche - White/DD - White/Darche
-------------------- ----------------------
Blunden
Palushaj

Last edited by Mr. Hab: 09-20-2011 at 06:16 PM.
Mr. Hab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:33 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hab View Post
Kostitsyn will NOT play in the top 6 (unless a top 6 winger gets injured).
I'm curious, what makes you think JM will all of a sudden, not juggle his lines and not give AK time on the top two lines?

Old
09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Bourne Endeavor
( •_•)>⌐■-■ (⌐■_■)

vCash: 13357
Quote:
I'm curious, what makes you think JM will all of a sudden, not juggle his lines and not give AK time on the top two lines?
Probably because Kostitsyn basically was a third line filler for a large part of last season prior to injuries. With Cole and a healthy Pacioretty, he is simply the odd man out. If he ignites then Martin may double shift him but why rock the chemistry? The only way Kostitsyn sees any consistent time in the top six is if Pacioretty or Cole fall apart or there is an injury. I hope to god there is not a whole lot of line juggling. That has never worked for us.

Bourne Endeavor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 07:58 PM
Kobe Armstrong

vCash: 713
if he plays like this all year long he will.

Kobe Armstrong is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:05 PM
Stradale

Keep him on the 3rd and so he can face weaker opposition. He will be a beast. Give him PP time here and there to keep him happy.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 08:14 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsfan2772 View Post
if he plays like this all year long he will.
He won't.

But realistically speaking, he will get a tonne of top 6 time. Cammy, Gio, Patches & Cole have traditionally missed 10 games a year each on average. I'm totally making up my number but my point is, we will have injuries this year.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:24 PM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
He won't.

But realistically speaking, he will get a tonne of top 6 time. Cammy, Gio, Patches & Cole have traditionally missed 10 games a year each on average. I'm totally making up my number but my point is, we will have injuries this year.
He will get top 6 time even if none of our forwards miss a minute.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:24 PM
TankEller*

Kostitsyn will be on the 3rd line, and it's great news. Having his own line will work wonders on this guy.

TankEller* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:32 PM
WeThreeKings

Send a message via MSN to WeThreeKings
What he did tonight with Palushaj and Willsie is miraculous.

WeThreeKings is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:41 PM
macavoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by habsjunkie2 View Post
He will get top 6 time even if none of our forwards miss a minute.
I agree, I expect him to be in the top 6 of minutes played for the year for forwards.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:56 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

vCash: 506
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
What he did tonight with Palushaj and Willsie is miraculous.
Exactly,

He managed to kick ass with two guys who have no business in the NHL

Stjonnypopo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:27 PM
znk

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecole72 View Post
Kostitsyn will be on the 3rd line, and it's great news. Having his own line will work wonders on this guy.
I was just thinking something similar. Having him being the leader on a line that still has skill could allow him to take charge a bit more.

znk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:33 PM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by stonecole72 View Post
Agreed.

Plus, I expect Eller to break out this season and complete that line with a guy like DD who is a good playmaker, that can also score, we might have one of the best 3rd line in the league.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:38 PM
NewHabsEra*

Personally I could see Pacioretty slid on the third line to start the season, he is still pretty young, has been seriously injured and its probably better for him to start on the third line to take off some pressure on his shoulders..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote