Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

PGT: 20/09/11 Split Squad with Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
09-20-2011, 10:39 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Boy, good effort all around, Scheifele is determined to give management headaches (for sure a positive headache compared to if he were crapping the bed) before Oct 9.

Buff looked great out there, and I really liked the pace of the game.

Can't wait for Saturday! Game on!

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Joe Hallenback

vCash: 500
Claude Noel is fantastic

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:44 PM
KingJet*
Welcome Back

I somewhat think Scheifele earned himself an opening day roster spot (9 game stint) but you never know. Anywho these Jets just don't feel right and I hate how it still has some of the Moose stuff on the team, like I wanted a new Announcer and feel and it just doesn't, not just that but if Phoenix came back I think it would be better.

KingJet* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
KevFist
is best pony

Scheifele had a good game, but really needs to go back to Barrie. There's no need to rush him into the lineup.

I know everyone's going to argue because of the game he had tonight, but consider the facts.....
1. Playing in front of essentially his hometown crowd.
2. Playing in the first NHL game in Winnipeg in 15 years
3. Playing in HIS first NHL game
4. Playing against what is CLEARLY the CBJs B-Team (And CBJ wasn't as good as this team last year.)

Do the kid a favour and send him back to Barrie for more seasoning. No harm in letting him stay up for 10, but he really needs to go back down. Things will change once the regular season starts and actual lineups are in place.

KevFist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:46 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Some general impressions

In Columbus it was obviously hard to make judgements due to bad feed, Columbus announcers, and the big loss but several players stepped up. Wheeler in particular looked great in this game, a man among boys. Kane and Thorburn played well as well. Otherwise there is not much more positive though. Mason looked pretty awful, but the blueline looked much worse than that. I did not notice Hainsey per se, but guys like Redmond and Flood looked hugely overwhelmed and Meech made several mistakes. Did not notice much up front, was dissapointed in Machecek as I am still hoping he will step up to challenge for a roster spot.

In Winnipeg-
Pavelec-is going to be huge for this team and he played well tonight.
Aebischer-played relatively well in limited time, I would be very interested in a Aebischer/Mason battle. Would be nice to jettison Mannino and have those two signed and playing for icetime.
Postma - What can you say, he clearly added himself to a real contending spot on the blueline, had a great game. That being said he made several mistakes and his d-zone needs work. But can add lots of offense from the backend. Biggest thing was that he got all his shots through, seemed to be pretty smart on the backend.
Kulda - Looked very good, solid safe, consistant this is a guy I see entering the league as a rookie and looking like a 10 year vet. Like his game
Festerling - Looked surprisingly good. Solid hitter, good skater, might win an 8th defenseman role to eliminate the 14th forward, or maybe even a #7 role ahead of useless ****ing Jones.
Byfuglien - Developing a mancrush. Wow was he awesome tonight, I don't think I need to say anything
Stuart - Solid safe team guy, this guy is an ideal bottom pairing guy, much more excited about him now
Bogosian - He made several mistakes, but he was all over offensively and could have 40+ points this year, IMO. Needs to work on his defensive game, and his decision making on pinching is often questionable so he needs work, but he if he can find a toolbox for his unreal tools he will be unreal.

Scheifele - Great game. Shows unreal offensive talent, but still had some turnovers and was pushed off the puck somewhat. Not penciling him in the lineup just yet.
Ladd - Played well, but not alot. Still early but he looked very good getting his game back.
Antropov - Was slow and off a bit tonight, but like I said in GDT thread his game will be better in structured reg season games.
Pesonen - Was hoping for more on the big line from the small forward. I hope he is in the organization somewhere though, he is clearly a very good offensive player. Wait and see on him
Maxwell - I had no expectations of him, but wow he played very very good. This guy is definitely an NHLer from what I saw here tonight, good twoway game with a little upside
Gregoire - Solid twoway game, very impressed with what I saw. Did not have much expectations, and he looked like a guy who could be a solid bottom 6er, but prob not this year.
Cormier - Did not see him, maybe the one disappointment, needs to pick it up to make team
Bodie - Sure he had the fight, but with Thorburn, Stapleton, Glass, Slater, Fehr, Wellwood as veteran bottom 6ers and many others challenging I just do not see this guy fitting in.
Telegin - Scored, but otherwise invisible. Several more years of improving skating and twoway player, he might have a shot as a sniper since he has a great shot but years away
Wiebe - He was actually pretty good. Little on the small side, he is nowhere near NHL at this point but some hard work and he may actually have some upside. Good game needs to keep his motor running and he might be a player
Clark - Played really well. Will not challenge for a roster spot, but played well, needs to get more physical if he wants to become an NHLer. Sick goal.
Burmistrov - My god, does this guy have hands or what? Looks solid, cannot wait to see him this season.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgJetsfan View Post
Tonights Attendance: 15004
So it did not sell out? That is very disappointing if that is what happened. I know it is pre-season but I really thought we would sell out EVERYTHING for the next 3 years...

Old
09-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
I would now like to take this moment to point all those homer couch "scouts" who moaned about the mistake we made by taking Scheifele over Couturier to the door.

Sure it's only been a few meaningless pre-season/young stars games, but the Philly fans haven't liked what they've seen in Couts and I aqm loving what I see in Scheifele.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:55 PM
TheLastSedin

If Scheifele was in Be a Pro mode i'd give him:

Positioning: A+
Teamwork: A+
Stats: A+

and 80xp for first star of the game.

TheLastSedin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:58 PM
AugustBurnsRed*
Invisible Calls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
So it did not sell out? That is very disappointing if that is what happened. I know it is pre-season but I really thought we would sell out EVERYTHING for the next 3 years...
I'm sure it sold out.

AugustBurnsRed* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:00 PM
Pokeys

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Some general impressions

In Columbus it was obviously hard to make judgements due to bad feed, Columbus announcers, and the big loss but several players stepped up. Wheeler in particular looked great in this game, a man among boys. Kane and Thorburn played well as well. Otherwise there is not much more positive though. Mason looked pretty awful, but the blueline looked much worse than that. I did not notice Hainsey per se, but guys like Redmond and Flood looked hugely overwhelmed and Meech made several mistakes. Did not notice much up front, was dissapointed in Machecek as I am still hoping he will step up to challenge for a roster spot.

In Winnipeg-
Pavelec-is going to be huge for this team and he played well tonight.
Aebischer-played relatively well in limited time, I would be very interested in a Aebischer/Mason battle. Would be nice to jettison Mannino and have those two signed and playing for icetime.
Postma - What can you say, he clearly added himself to a real contending spot on the blueline, had a great game. That being said he made several mistakes and his d-zone needs work. But can add lots of offense from the backend. Biggest thing was that he got all his shots through, seemed to be pretty smart on the backend.
Kulda - Looked very good, solid safe, consistant this is a guy I see entering the league as a rookie and looking like a 10 year vet. Like his game
Festerling - Looked surprisingly good. Solid hitter, good skater, might win an 8th defenseman role to eliminate the 14th forward, or maybe even a #7 role ahead of useless ****ing Jones.
Byfuglien - Developing a mancrush. Wow was he awesome tonight, I don't think I need to say anything
Stuart - Solid safe team guy, this guy is an ideal bottom pairing guy, much more excited about him now
Bogosian - He made several mistakes, but he was all over offensively and could have 40+ points this year, IMO. Needs to work on his defensive game, and his decision making on pinching is often questionable so he needs work, but he if he can find a toolbox for his unreal tools he will be unreal.

Scheifele - Great game. Shows unreal offensive talent, but still had some turnovers and was pushed off the puck somewhat. Not penciling him in the lineup just yet.
Ladd - Played well, but not alot. Still early but he looked very good getting his game back.
Antropov - Was slow and off a bit tonight, but like I said in GDT thread his game will be better in structured reg season games.
Pesonen - Was hoping for more on the big line from the small forward. I hope he is in the organization somewhere though, he is clearly a very good offensive player. Wait and see on him
Maxwell - I had no expectations of him, but wow he played very very good. This guy is definitely an NHLer from what I saw here tonight, good twoway game with a little upside
Gregoire - Solid twoway game, very impressed with what I saw. Did not have much expectations, and he looked like a guy who could be a solid bottom 6er, but prob not this year.
Cormier - Did not see him, maybe the one disappointment, needs to pick it up to make team
Bodie - Sure he had the fight, but with Thorburn, Stapleton, Glass, Slater, Fehr, Wellwood as veteran bottom 6ers and many others challenging I just do not see this guy fitting in.
Telegin - Scored, but otherwise invisible. Several more years of improving skating and twoway player, he might have a shot as a sniper since he has a great shot but years away
Wiebe - He was actually pretty good. Little on the small side, he is nowhere near NHL at this point but some hard work and he may actually have some upside. Good game needs to keep his motor running and he might be a player
Clark - Played really well. Will not challenge for a roster spot, but played well, needs to get more physical if he wants to become an NHLer. Sick goal.
Burmistrov - My god, does this guy have hands or what? Looks solid, cannot wait to see him this season.

Agree with a lot of your thoughts on how some of the guys played tonight. Defense looked really strong so many positives back there however I thought at times in our own end they got a little lost and let some Blue Jacket players roam around a bit too much for my liking. Cormier didn't flash anything out there and really didn't look like NHL material, hopefully it was just an off night for him. I thought Maxwell definitely had one of the more impressive performances tonight, he's going to make the guys playing on his line with him better.

As far as Scheifele goes, yes it wasn't Columbus' regular lineup so obviously that factors into his big night but 4 points is 4 points and he was in the right position all night making plays. Let's see how he fares in the next couple of games before we all come to a conclusion and say he's gotta go back to barrie or let him stay in the N. The kid looked magical out there and has a scoring touch it's hard to say send him back when one could envision him putting many many more pucks in the back of the net over the course of an 82 game season.

Pokeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Inflict
Viking

Awesome game! Boy was the arena loud tonight!

My 3 starts for the game:

1. Mark Scheifele - 4 points and was in the right places at the right time. A couple of turnovers in the offensive zone because of a few weak passes, but he more than made up for them.
2. Paul Postma - Excellent on the PP and in the offensive zone. In the defensive zone, not so much...
3. Ondrej Pavelec - Some huge saves in the 1st and 2nd period. The only goal he let in was not his fault in any way. He has a very bright future ahead of him.
Honorable mention: Dustin Byfuglien - a couple of big hits and points and was in the face of the CBJ players all night.

Other noticibles:
Burmistrov and Ladd have excellent hands. Burmi however held on to the puck a little to long at times that lead to turnovers and was hesitant to shoot in prime scoring areas. Ladd was great all around tonight.
Bogosian was terrible tonight. Will give him a free pass as it is the 1st game of the pre-season and was playing against his brother.
Wiebe was good on the forecheck tonight and I think he may compete for a spot on the Jets in the next few years.
Pesonen showed some nice hands in practice, but it was his physical play that caught me eye.
Telegin has shown that he has a future in the organization but he was pushed around too much on the ice. Needs to get stronger.

Edit: PP needs some work, but PK was incredible tonight.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:08 PM
Puckschmuck*
Doan Shall Be Boo'ed

vCash: 131
Okay, stupid question time. Is this the only split squad pre-season game, or will there be more?

Puckschmuck* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
indigobuffalo
Portage and Main

The game was super exciting!

Mark Scheifele was terrific, he looked threatening almost every shift. Ladd was a force on the PK, and had a few odd-man chances.

Byfuglien laid some really hard hits moments into the game then got into a fight, the crowd was electrified the moment he laid his first hit, then another! It was amazing!!

A couple of names that stood out:
Forwards: Telegin, Burmistrov, Ladd, Scheifele
Defence: Stuart, Bogosian, Byfuglien... and sorta iffy on Postma (who scored the second ever Jets goal, but wasn't too noticeable the rest of the game...)

People who were noticeably bad:

Antropov. My god. The people around me were kinda getting tired of my Antropov ranting, but c'mon, the guy is so slow and sloth-like, he might as well be dead. He managed to get a few assists but looked lethargic even in his moments of brief clarity where he managed to get the puck to someone actually trying.

Oh, Aebischer had a good period in goal, and Pavelec looked good too.

The crowd was just amazing and everything looked so great. I CANNOT WAIT TO SEE THE HOME OPENER!!!!

indigobuffalo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
JetsWillFly4Ever

Great game in Winnipeg tonight and almost everyone on the ice played well.

But man, I can see why Atlanta fans called Bogosian "Oh'noesian" (or something like that). At the start of the game I thought he was the best player on the ice, and then he made a few absolute bonehead plays. It seemed like he got lost a couple times. Particularly on their goal, he chases a guy around the net and makes himself completely useless instead of staying in front and just moving over to the other side. That being said I can see how he oozes in potential. If he can figure everything out then he has the potential to be a top pairing defensemen in this league.

JetsWillFly4Ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:13 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puckschmuck View Post
Okay, stupid question time. Is this the only split squad pre-season game, or will there be more?
This is it. Next up is in Nashville on Saturday, then in Raleigh on Sunday followed by a game in St. John's against Ottawa on Monday next week. It was mentioned on the broadcast that the team would be split again for these games with one group going to NSH/ST.J and the other to CAR.

After that there is two final games in WPG on Wed, Sept 28 versus CAR and Fri, Sept 30 versus NSH.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:16 PM
Whatthehellwasthat
I am defense

Hey guys cbj fan here just wanted to say welcome back we are glad you're here. Good games tonight can't wait to do it for real

Whatthehellwasthat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:17 PM
WJG
Running and Rioting

Scheifele: A+
Pavelec: A
Byfuglien: A
Postma: A
Burmistrov: A
Aebischer: A
Ladd: B+
Gregoire: B+
Bogosian: B+
Maxwell: B
Festerling: B

WJG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigobuffalo View Post
A couple of names that stood out:
Forwards: Telegin, Burmistrov, Ladd, Scheifele
Defence: Stuart, Bogosian, Byfuglien... and sorta iffy on Postma (who scored the second ever Jets goal, but wasn't too noticeable the rest of the game...)

People who were noticeably bad:

Antropov. My god. The people around me were kinda getting tired of my Antropov ranting, but c'mon, the guy is so slow and sloth-like, he might as well be dead. He managed to get a few assists but looked lethargic even in his moments of brief clarity where he managed to get the puck to someone actually trying.
Um...Telegin did nothing other than his goal, which was just one nice shot.

Did you not notice Postma making a SICK opening pass to Scheifele for the Clark goal? How about him being super active on the PP including BLASTING that shot for the second Scheifele goal. He has awesome offensive instincts...but makes lots of mistakes defensively, either way he is "noticable" lol.

And Antropov is slow yes, but he has very good offensive instincts and moves the puck well. He knows where to go offensively and he will be much better in a structured game. I think Antropov will be a good offensive player for a fast team, controlling the pace and dishing out the puck nicely.

Old
09-20-2011, 11:21 PM
Le Golie

Bogo needs to be better. He was very noticeable but made some bad decisions with pinches. It's not hard, he just needs to be conservative and let things come to him.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:26 PM
Sweech
COYS!

vCash: 50
I think Bogo puts pressure on himself to be more offensive minded and I think he has some of the tools to put up more points, but I really think he should stick to his strengths and try and be a little more stay-at-home. If he tried I think he could easily be a better Luke Schenn.

Sweech is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:30 PM
Wpg Jets Fan

I was at the oilers game tonight but spent the majority of my time in the phone with my dad who was at the MTS center, lol ! I am a proud manitobian through and through but I must say I have never had this sense of pride in years. I am so happy for Manitobians and Winnipeggers in general, I get goose bumps daily just thinking about the jets!!!!!!!

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:32 PM
peter sullivan
Winnipeg

i take it all back....the unis are hot, scheifele is a hoss....no need to add anyone.

bring gregoire and scheifele with the big team....

peter sullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:33 PM
roccerfeller
jets bromantic

vCash: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatthehellwasthat View Post
Hey guys cbj fan here just wanted to say welcome back we are glad you're here. Good games tonight can't wait to do it for real
Appreciate it man, thanks, and cheers

roccerfeller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:34 PM
Jetsfan79

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgJetsfan View Post
Tonights Attendance: 15004
I could gone to the game as they still had 11 seats unsold!...Oh well.

Jetsfan79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:41 PM
sparxx87

Came to say congratulations on the show tonight... You guys deserve this, and the players deserve to be somewhere they're appreciated!

Great to see hockey back in Winnipeg where it belongs!!

Got chills seeing the team salute the crowd post game, almost nobody left in a 6-1 game!!

Good luck this season..... Great to have another Canadian team, finally!

sparxx87 is offline   Reply With Quote