HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Steve Simmons (Toronto Sun): Flyers GM denies rumours about Richards, Carter trades

Old
09-20-2011, 11:14 PM
Sawdalite
AbleWasIEreISawLupul

vCash: 500
Steve Simmons (Toronto Sun): Flyers GM denies rumours about Richards, Carter trades

Quote:
TORONTO - Paul Holmgren categorically denies that off-ice issues led to the trading away of centres Mike Richards and Jeff Carter and the stunning remake of the Philadelphia Flyers.

In fact, the mere suggestion of inappropriate behaviour and the multitude of rumours that have surrounded the controversial transactions, angers the quiet Holmgren.

“That (off-ice behavior) had nothing to do with it, nothing to do it,” said Holmgren, the Flyers general manager. “They were young guys with a lot of money who enjoyed their life. And a lot was made of that. And why wouldn’t they? Wouldn’t you?

“A lot of has been said about this, too much really. There have been all kinds of stuff out there, and it’s untrue. Because they were quiet kids and weren’t good with the media, I think some of that came back to them. I think they paid for that. I don’t think it’s been fair. I think the world of both those kids. They gave their hearts and souls to our team.

“It wasn’t easy to do this. But we thought we had to do it.”
I Found Homers denial in this very powerful and interesting.

Full article can be found here:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/20...-carter-trades

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 10-04-2011 at 12:06 PM.
Sawdalite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:32 PM
StandingCow

vCash: 50
New season has started, I am over this.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:36 PM
orange is better
than other colors...

Who's he even talking about? Homer has lost it

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:43 PM
Justified
Sack Holmgren &Amaro

vCash: 673
they are gone, it's time to move on from # 17 and 18.

Justified is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:57 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Never believe a rumor until its officially denied...both Snider and Holmgren have now done so....they should just be silent and let sleeping dogs lie....

Anyway...still think the Carter trade was a hockey trade and that with Richards there was a bit more to it. Def Richards would not have been happy if Carter was moved so both were "accommodated". More so Richards who was placed in a more nurturing environment with Stevens. Also an environment where he could just be one of the guys which is more Richards' style....

Like Snider said, PART of their thinking involved problems with growing as a team and consistency which they thought they weren't getting so they made the ballsy move. We'll be ok and so will Richards and Carter....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:05 AM
Vikke
FHM 13 researcher

Who's this Richard Carter dude he's yappin' about??

Vikke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:24 AM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

wait, mike richards and jeff carter? huh? are they minor leaguers or something? never heard of'em.

OriginJM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:44 AM
PALE PWNR

vCash: 1050
I dont think homer traded richards to LA because it is a more comfortable environment I think he made the best deal available. I do think if Carter was traded Richards would of been upset and had a problem with it though

PALE PWNR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:52 AM
decadentia

It's now cool to pretend they were never here or don't exist eh...

Wow, I suddenly don't miss not being around here lately.

(Unless i'm missing some inside joke, the sarcasm is duly noted)

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:02 AM
Parise9Crosby87

its about schenn and ****ing couturier

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:14 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post

It's two players that don't play on the team anymore. Get over yourself. The man crush people have over these guys is just sad.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:20 AM
MsWoof

**** Homer. I am much more interested in seeing who the next whipping boys are going to be. JvR had 2 penalties last night, my money is on him, obviously the pressure of the big contract is getting to him.

Maybe someone should ask Homer why the prospects were so depleted over the years and forced him to replenish the pantry. But then, he'd have to admit he ****ed up the cap repeatedly and put the team in such a lousy position which forced him to make a trade.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:34 AM
StandingCow

There always has to be a whipping boy.

Old
09-21-2011, 06:48 AM
DeadPhish5858
Rumham!

Send a message via AIM to DeadPhish5858
Quote:
Originally Posted by StandingCow View Post
There always has to be a whipping boy.
We need Modry or Vandemeer back. Or better yet, Tollefsen!

DeadPhish5858 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:51 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeadPhish5858 View Post
We need Modry or Vandemeer back. Or better yet, Tollefsen!
No team should be without one!

Old
09-21-2011, 07:05 AM
decadentia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
It's two players that don't play on the team anymore. Get over yourself. The man crush people have over these guys is just sad.
I said nothing about mancrushes, or being upset about it. Read again, and get over yourself

decadentia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:12 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
**** Homer. I am much more interested in seeing who the next whipping boys are going to be. JvR had 2 penalties last night, my money is on him, obviously the pressure of the big contract is getting to him.

Maybe someone should ask Homer why the prospects were so depleted over the years and forced him to replenish the pantry. But then, he'd have to admit he ****ed up the cap repeatedly and put the team in such a lousy position which forced him to make a trade.
Bullseye!

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:27 AM
Bort Sampson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
We hang banners and hold ceremonies for guys who don't play for the Flyers anymore. Get over yourself.

This trade didn't occur in a vacuum. We still have the same organization and same General Manager. Some of us smarter folk just want to know the actual thought processes of some of these people that continue to run the team.

Also, if it annoys you, you really don't have to reply to the thread.

Now in reply to the actual thread:

It was pretty clear from Holmgren's interviews that day that even he was caught off guard by the magnitude of these trades. I don't think it had anything to do with their off-ice issues. Sure, they had a lot of young guys on the team a few years ago and cleared house, but all of those players (Lupul, Umberger, Upshall, Carter, and Richards) all were due raises, and all received very nice ones. That's going to cap-strap a team. Especially considering three of the deals contained NTC, as well.

There was an interview a week or so following the trade that had quotes from Snider. He mentioned how hard the trade was for Holmgren considering his nature as a scout. He's been following these kids since their teens, brought them into the organization in the same year, saw them win the Calder Cup, and saw them both become All-Stars and great players in this league. It's not easy to send these guys packing. It's also a hell of a lot harder to do it after you handed them both long-term deals, and almost guaranteed they'd spend most of their careers in Philly.

Snider, though, let his opinion out a bit later on in the article. He specifically mentioned that when they continued to go down to the Bruins last post-season, no one stepped up. Snider's an entertainment guy first and foremost, at least in my opinion. He wants to make the playoffs and win the Cup because it's going to justify the prices for the butts in the seats.

I trust Holmgren's assessment of talent. In case people haven't noticed, he drafts well. We could have Kyle Turris right now, otherwise. He's also very loyal to the organization, and understands his role within it. We all know that the trade offers came flooding in after the trade for Bryzgalov's rights. That has been mentioned in a number of articles. It's the General Manager's job to put together the best team he can on the ice. Regardless of the attachment between himself and Richards and Carter (If people are offended by me using their names, I can edit them out later ), he got a deal that he thought was good value, that helped the Flyers cap situation, and gave the team more depth. After conversing with Lukko and Snider, the trigger was pulled. Who pulled it doesn't matter at this point, as well should all know by now who has the final say in these moves.

Bort Sampson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:55 AM
philly_28
Valar Morghulis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bort Sampson View Post
It was pretty clear from Holmgren's interviews that day that even he was caught off guard by the magnitude of these trades. I don't think it had anything to do with their off-ice issues. Sure, they had a lot of young guys on the team a few years ago and cleared house, but all of those players (Lupul, Umberger, Upshall, Carter, and Richards) all were due raises, and all received very nice ones. That's going to cap-strap a team. Especially considering three of the deals contained NTC, as well.

There was an interview a week or so following the trade that had quotes from Snider. He mentioned how hard the trade was for Holmgren considering his nature as a scout. He's been following these kids since their teens, brought them into the organization in the same year, saw them win the Calder Cup, and saw them both become All-Stars and great players in this league. It's not easy to send these guys packing. It's also a hell of a lot harder to do it after you handed them both long-term deals, and almost guaranteed they'd spend most of their careers in Philly.

Snider, though, let his opinion out a bit later on in the article. He specifically mentioned that when they continued to go down to the Bruins last post-season, no one stepped up. Snider's an entertainment guy first and foremost, at least in my opinion. He wants to make the playoffs and win the Cup because it's going to justify the prices for the butts in the seats.

I trust Holmgren's assessment of talent. In case people haven't noticed, he drafts well. We could have Kyle Turris right now, otherwise. He's also very loyal to the organization, and understands his role within it. We all know that the trade offers came flooding in after the trade for Bryzgalov's rights. That has been mentioned in a number of articles. It's the General Manager's job to put together the best team he can on the ice. Regardless of the attachment between himself and Richards and Carter (If people are offended by me using their names, I can edit them out later ), he got a deal that he thought was good value, that helped the Flyers cap situation, and gave the team more depth. After conversing with Lukko and Snider, the trigger was pulled. Who pulled it doesn't matter at this point, as well should all know by now who has the final say in these moves.
Pronger?

philly_28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:11 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Never believe a rumor until its officially denied...both Snider and Holmgren have now done so....
The problem with this is that it means that basically ever single rumor is true. Not denied? True. Denied? True.

Granted, that would make things more soap opera-y and entertaining.

09-21-2011, 09:45 AM
orange is better
than other colors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by decadentia View Post

orange is better is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:59 AM
Codith

The reason they were traded has a lot to do with what happened in the second half of the season. The team saw how Richie and Carter dealt with the team struggles and they were not impressed by how they dealt with it. So instead of keeping them around for 10 years each, they made the decision to make the move before they were stuck with them. Start fresh with a new mindset, with Pronger's no ******** attitude and getting things done, instead of the lackadaisical approach by #17 and #18

Codith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
pelts35.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Never believe a rumor until its officially denied...both Snider and Holmgren have now done so....they should just be silent and let sleeping dogs lie....
I prefer to take the opposite track and say that when a figurehead comes out and denies something, there is some ring of truth to it. How many times have you heard a figurehead come out and deny that a player is or isn't going to be traded only for that player to be traded/not traded within days of the "official" statement.

The fact that both have come out and denied it tells me that there is definitely some truth to it.

That said it's a new season and both players are gone, time to move on to the 2011-12 season.

pelts35.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pelts35.com View Post
I prefer to take the opposite track and say that when a figurehead comes out and denies something, there is some ring of truth to it. How many times have you heard a figurehead come out and deny that a player is or isn't going to be traded only for that player to be traded/not traded within days of the "official" statement.

The fact that both have come out and denied it tells me that there is definitely some truth to it.

That said it's a new season and both players are gone, time to move on to the 2011-12 season.
Actually I half meant it in this case...I'm not into absolutes..that is why I don't totally buy both Snider and Holmgren saying it had NO bearing whatsoever...none. I do think the hockey reasons outweigh the other off ice stuff however.

I do believe Snider's comment that they assessed things from a consistency and growth perspective b/c over the years (not just last year) that's been an issue most definitely. The losing streaks and the lack of urgency in stretches throughout the season (some at critical times) was becoming too pervasive.

I really think they approached things pragmatically for once and were totally business-like in their assessments. To remove two cornerstone pieces from your "structure" is fraught with risks but to retain them with their stress fractures was also risky especially given the long term commitments they made to both of them (NMC's, years etc). Flyers still have a strong foundation..and they will be able to build a stronger framework going forward IMO. I'm looking forward to more consistency and a much better product on the ice (hard work and intensity) game in and game out..win or lose.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
AICMAM

vCash: 156
One thing that is for sure is that the organization decided to hit the reset button. I doubt it was any one factor, but a convergence of things. Consistency, slumps, eternal goaltending problems, lack of prospects and picks, etc. All of those things are likely far more important and relevant to the organization than some of their players daring to enjoy their time off.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote