HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Bobrovsky is going to be very good this year

Old
09-20-2011, 11:18 PM
Infiniti plus 1

vCash: 500
To me, Bryz should be paid $5M and Tim Thomas $5.7M. Seems backwards.

Last edited by Infiniti plus 1: 09-20-2011 at 11:24 PM.
Infiniti plus 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:18 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Lol Bob has one good pre-season game and all of a sudden we should be trading a guy we haven't even seen on the ice yet. Oh flyers fans, you make me giggle sometimes

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:30 AM
StandingCow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
Lol Bob has one good pre-season game and all of a sudden we should be trading a guy we haven't even seen on the ice yet. Oh flyers fans, you make me giggle sometimes
I think we understand it is one preseason game, but we also saw him playing a different style than last year. He didn't go down into the butterfly right away and was more aggressive in net.

We will see if that style of play continues, but it looks as if he has made some good changes to his game.

StandingCow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:36 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
This made me chuckle, guffaw and fall down laughing!

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti plus 1 View Post
Very, VERY rarely does it make any sense to directly compare two contracts.

There are far too many variables that go into each one. First and foremost being, when they were signed.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:30 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

There are far too many variables that go into each one. First and foremost being, when they were signed.
I agree with this ! Timing is everything when it comes to contracts.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:34 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Rinaldo is scoring at a PPG clip.

09-21-2011, 09:40 AM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post

Definitely. Also, Thomas is 6 years older. What he's going is great, but eventually he'll be far too "old" to keep up with his own 'athletic' not positionally sound style... right?

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Doubting Thomases...

Tim Thomas feeds off of the doubters...he basically single handedly won that cup this year. Let's not fuel his resolve like idiot Luongos..or should I say LeBRONGOS....

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:56 AM
ORYX

Whats hurt Bryzgalov before IMO was that the Coyotes were playing him too much in an effort to reach the playoffs.

Now I'm not saying the Flyers will breeze into the playoffs, but if they preform where we all think and know they can, the pressure wont be as immense on him to be in net for 60+ games allowing Bob a chance to see some more time.

Not only that, but with two very capable goalies, the Flyers will give Bob the net in some important games, to build his confidence and experience in those pressure cooker situtations.

Also what I'm thinking will happen is that they will push eachother beyond the typical starter/back-up relationship that exists on NHL teams. Bob is good enough to take several starts in a row if Bryz simply isnt getting the job done, and vice versa. There are more teams then not that if this was the situation, would be in for a rough patch of games until their consenus starter returned to form.

As others have mentioned, I am very very content with this tandem and would call it one of the best in the league with the potential to post the best numbers.

And while it was only exhibition, it didnt take the flyers long to get that first shutout eh!

ORYX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:59 AM
BernieParent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beef Invictus View Post
Rinaldo is scoring at a PPG clip.
It's true, and so far Jagr is pointless this far into the preseason. I knew he wouldn't work out!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:21 PM
Parise9Crosby87

i think you guys of gave him a chance and not take a big risk with ilya

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:33 PM
kicksave27

Nobody knew vokoun was going to be as cheap as he was, you could have went with him and Bob, let bob develop and be set. Which isn't 100%. Bryz is a certainty and they paid dearly for that. It's kinda like kipper & bryz both being stuck behind entrenched goalies with their first teams.

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

This isnt an over reaction from one pre season game or anything.....

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

JEEBUS! We have a goaltending problem even when we don't anymore.

We have a bonafide starter who can play 60+ games and a very promising backup who can still develop accordingly as long as he plays around 25 games or so. Bob is only 23. He's a proud guy like Reese said and wants to prove his meddle this year and won't like playing second fiddle for too long but he's also a smart and mature guy and I'm sure he understands nothing is going to be handed to him and last year wasn't enough to go with him as the starter this year and risk a Lindbergh second year situation.

As far as Vokoun....again we had to go with the goalie with the most upside and least question marks. Vokoun is older and has some wear on the tires and was another stopgap temporary measure which we've been doing too many years now. Sure he is a more guaranteed stopgap but a shorter term one nonetheless. I can see Vokoun being another Beezer situation anyway or even a Biron. Enough of the half measures..

Organization did what they needed to do and yes had to pay a premium to mitigate risk as much as possible. We made our bed with Bryzgalov and now its time to lie in it. Not like he's some cheapo mattress from the back of a truck. He's a firm high grade mattress....sorry for the corny analogy...

Old
09-21-2011, 02:10 PM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
JEEBUS! We have a goaltending problem even when we don't anymore.

We have a bonafide starter who can play 60+ games and a very promising backup who can still develop accordingly as long as he plays around 25 games or so. Bob is only 23. He's a proud guy like Reese said and wants to prove his meddle this year and won't like playing second fiddle for too long but he's also a smart and mature guy and I'm sure he understands nothing is going to be handed to him and last year wasn't enough to go with him as the starter this year and risk a Lindbergh second year situation.

As far as Vokoun....again we had to go with the goalie with the most upside and least question marks. Vokoun is older and has some wear on the tires and was another stopgap temporary measure which we've been doing too many years now. Sure he is a more guaranteed stopgap but a shorter term one nonetheless. I can see Vokoun being another Beezer situation anyway or even a Biron. Enough of the half measures..

Organization did what they needed to do and yes had to pay a premium to mitigate risk as much as possible. We made our bed with Bryzgalov and now its time to lie in it. Not like he's some cheapo mattress from the back of a truck. He's a firm high grade mattress....sorry for the corny analogy...
Excellent analogy ! If you would have said a water bed mattress we would be in serious trouble ! lol

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:28 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

One more for ya....

LEIGHTON!

Old
09-21-2011, 02:44 PM
might2mash
Post-apocalyptic

Send a message via AIM to might2mash
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Doubting Thomases...

Tim Thomas feeds off of the doubters...he basically single handedly won that cup this year. Let's not fuel his resolve like idiot Luongos..or should I say LeBRONGOS....
I'm sure he's listening to me right now.

Hear me, Timmy Tommy? You're going to fall flat on your face. Screw you and your fluky style that can't possible work for much longer!

might2mash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:10 PM
Ironmanrulez
Rookie Mistake

Quote:
I believe Bobrovsky has shown how stupid Holmgren was this offseason. He looks like a #1 goaltender at the moment and that Bryzgalov was not needed, especially for a team that will be younger this season. When you have a 21 year old goaltender play as well as he did last season you go out and get a good veteran goaltender. The difference between Bobrovsky and Bryzgalov isn't likely to being much more then a win or two over the course of the season.
We donīt need Bryz.... But now we never will get rid of him and his salary..... Donīt have anything against Bryz but a lot against the term and amount of his contract... It is another Pronger Contract.... I canīt understand it... Itīs like building Nuclearbombs and throwing them high in the air.... Sometimes they come back later.....

If Bryz gets older he canīt live up his salary and we are ****ed with his contract..... Homer does it again.... I hope Bryzgalov outperform all other goalies in the league so i can forget about this crap contract. If he plays like bob last year, i canīt enjoy him because of his contract.....

Ironmanrulez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:34 PM
FreshPerspective
Ed finally concedes!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post
We donīt need Bryz.... But now we never will get rid of him and his salary..... Donīt have anything against Bryz but a lot against the term and amount of his contract... It is another Pronger Contract.... I canīt understand it... Itīs like building Nuclearbombs and throwing them high in the air.... Sometimes they come back later.....

If Bryz gets older he canīt live up his salary and we are ****ed with his contract..... Homer does it again.... I hope Bryzgalov outperform all other goalies in the league so i can forget about this crap contract. If he plays like bob last year, i canīt enjoy him because of his contract.....
I guess the stained mattresses we've had were really enjoyable to you....

Old
09-23-2011, 11:52 AM
Claude28Giroux
praiseG

This isnt an over reaction from one pre season game or anything.....

Claude28Giroux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 03:06 AM
Atas2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironmanrulez View Post

Oh man, Philly fans aren't going to calm down soon about the goaltending, right?

The Flyers have got maybe the best duo in the league now. Live with it. As for Bryz' contract I wonder what the reactions will be when he lifts the Cup. And he's going to rather sooner than later.

And Bob will get traded at some point for sure. Maybe even this season if Tallon continues building his Panthers and goes with youth if/when Theodore fails.

Atas2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:25 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infiniti plus 1 View Post
Ones a 35+ contract and one isn't. Thomas also signed his deal before he went bat **** insane last year, or had completed his entire bat **** insane campaign two years before that (iirc he signed in the middle of his first Vezina season).

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 05:27 AM
Giroux tha Damaja

Send a message via AIM to Giroux tha Damaja
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atas2000 View Post
Oh man, Philly fans aren't going to calm down soon about the goaltending, right?

The Flyers have got maybe the best duo in the league now. Live with it. As for Bryz' contract I wonder what the reactions will be when he lifts the Cup. And he's going to rather sooner than later.

And Bob will get traded at some point for sure. Maybe even this season if Tallon continues building his Panthers and goes with youth if/when Theodore fails.
Not that I am a fan of him as an NHL prospect, but they'll probably go with Markstrom if things go that direction.

Giroux tha Damaja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-27-2011, 08:44 AM
Beef Invictus
Global Moderator
Doof Warrior

Google Image Searching for that mattress must have been a harrowing experience.

Beef Invictus is offline   Reply With Quote