HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Notices

Habs lose 6-3 to the Dallas Stars

Old
09-20-2011, 10:53 PM
Redux91
I do Three bullets.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Redux91 Send a message via MSN to Redux91
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeThreeKings View Post
Cole: Scored a nice goal, hit, skated well, did as advertised.
Plekanec: Not his best game offensive, went through the motions, but we know Plekky will bring it.
Cammy: Quiet and ineffective, he only brings it if he has to, my problem with him..
Palushaj: No fire, no creativity, no offence, no confidence, not what he should be doing.. He'll stick around for more looks but is destined for the AHL this season.
Willsie: Invisible, didn't have the wheels to get a sure-fire break-away.. Enjoy your stay in the AHL.
Kostitsyn: Our best forward, was a big part of two goals, his release and shot is hard and accurate as ever, he controlled the puck, played well with horrific line-mates.
Schultz: Did well in his fight, ineffective and invisible for the rest of it. ECHL.
Trotter: Lost in the defensive zone, creative in the offensive zone, but didn't make anything happen. AHL.
Masse: Absolutely atrocious. There is NOTHING here. IHL.
Blunden: A lot of you liked him. I thought he couldn't play his way out of a paper bag. He can skate and hit. Goes to the net. But no offensive IQ, no real defensive acumen, his play with the puck leaves a lot to be desired. AHL.
Engvist: I liked his play on the Woywitka goal. He does lack fire but he doesn't lack smarts. He has skills and his play in the AHL shows me he is responsible enough for the fourth line. NHL-AHL.
Berger: Had the unfortunate task of playing with Masse. Still didn't do anything to make himself noticable. AHL.

Hal Gill: This is just practice for him. I don't really care how bad his performance was. NHL.
Yannick Weber: He really impressed me today. He was stronger, more combative and cerebral. Brought his patented offensive game with him. NHL.
Alexei Yemelin: Has some adjusting to do, you can tell he can't communicate very well with his teammates yet. He's physical, mobile, offensively aware. A real gem. NHL.
Jeff Woywitka: He was solid, showed he was a veteran of the league and read the play well. NHL-AHL.
Rafael Diaz: Not as impressed as most of you seem to be. There's raw talent but he was caught out of position on one goal. He was afraid of contact and was not capable of handling speed and physicality. Offensive awareness is there but he needs seasoning. AHL.
Jarred Tinordi: Hated the pick. Hated trading up for this selection. Trying to be nice to him but there's really not much to see here right now and I'm not sure there ever will be. OHL.

Carey Price: There was rust. Just some tightness issues in the mechanics of his movements. Nothing that can't be worked out. NHL.
Nathan Lawson: He played better than I thought. Had good rebound control and played well in the traffic. AHL.
i agree with your points on cammy ,weber, diaz , and woywitka to a certain extent,
But with blunden, im not looking for triple digit hockey IQ if hes gonna skate fast, has a 6"4 frame and uses it, and has a decent intensity each shift, then goals will just luckily come with the hard work put into it, i dont need another desharnais, whos immense hockey IQ is wasted on the 4th line, so he has to be a winger on the 3rd line, (well not till lars comes back anyway, nobody , i think DD centering AK a bit can be interresting) with blunden its like having a bigger ryan white, but theres just something about that kid that gets the job done so i think whites assured a spot on our 4th line

Redux91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:07 PM
HTTP 400 Bad Request

vCash: 13362
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monaco88 View Post
Tomorrow

Patches-DD-Gionta
Gallagher-Desimone-Avstin
Darche-Dumont-Moen
Lefebvre-Bishop-Winnett

Henry-Subban
Beaulieu-Gorges
Spacek-Ellis

??????
DD replacing the injured Gomez... I like what Martin is doing here.

Dumont is also in good company there on the 3rd line. Interesting.

HTTP 400 Bad Request is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:10 PM
SuperUnknown

One pre-season game doesn't make a training camp, so there's still time for the prospects to show more than they did today.

Here are some comments about the game:

Diaz: while he's got a good shot and has good offensive awareness, he needs to be stronger in his zone. Often lost the 1-on-1 battles, got pushed around a bit. Also needs to work on decision making and positioning in the defensive zone. Quite a few times he was not in a good position to support his partner. Imo he needs AHL seasoning as I think in a reg season game he'd get eaten alive.

Yemelin: started a quiet game and got better as the game progressed. Inconsistent overall, might be nervosity from his first game. I thought he'd have a bigger pĥysical presence. Liked him overall for bottom pair.

Palushaj: may end up being a perennial ahl all star in the Willsie mold. He just can't compete physically.

Trotter: good skating skills, can handle the puck. However, he's very bad in his own zone and he needs space to make plays. Will need to improve in the AHL.

Woywitka: better than Mara, but will play the same role. Handy depth dman.

Tinordi: I expected worse, but he surprised me. He's not a wizard with the puck but I thought he played a simple game. He needs to improve his physical play and take better decisions with the puck but overall I thought there's still hope he becomes a decent defensive dman in a couple of years.

Blunden: Thinks the game too slow. He has speed and he can hit, but that's about it. Whenever he has the puck, he looks like he needs 3-4 seconds to decide what to do with it.

Engvist: Quiet game. Positions himself well. Will never score much in the NHL but he can be a reliable extra forward. Won't embarass his coach.

Berger-Masse-Schultz: Try again in the future, I think they will be the first cuts. Definately need major improvement in their respective game before they get a sniff of NHL hockey.

SuperUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:11 PM
macavoy

vCash: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHabMan43 View Post
Being there, I could see that AK was by far the best palyer there.

Yemelin wasn't bad either
Can you confirm reports that JM was eating pizza on the bench?

macavoy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:24 PM
Markowicz
Simple Jacques

Quote:
Originally Posted by Plekamaniac View Post
It is funny everyone bashing Tinordi yet Martin himself said that he thought Tinordi played a solid game as the game went on.

There is a reason JM is coaching in the NHL and we are posting on the boards. Leave the development of our prospects to our coaching staff.
I agree. and it's the same for the other guys, too. as much as this is a site where we want analyze all the players to the point of exhaustion, i personally think there's only so much you can do after one preseason game. Keep in mind how intricate Martin's system is, and not only how hard it is for the D-men to adapt defensively, but for the forwards just as much.

On a whole, i thought the team defence actually wasn't that bad tonight, it was simply just not a stellar Price in nets--he looked not himself on at least 3 of the 4 goals.

I'm looking for obvious problems, like d-men getting easily outmuscled, outworked, and outpaced, and i thought there generally wasn't much of that at all. The positioning and decisions with the puck you can judge in about 6-7 games, not now. They're still trying to integrate with new teammates, get into game shape, and so and so forth. And the same goes for the guys that had good games. They still need to prove over a longer period and against stronger competition that they can remain focused and play at the same level.

Bottom line: it's kind of pointless to write extensive reports on these guys. Note their weaknesses and strengths, and see how they progess through camp, fine, but to write anyone off or put anyone on a pedestal at this point is a complete waste of time.

Markowicz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:24 PM
zzoo

The only player that looks good is Kostitsyn.
All other range from mediocre to average. The worst is Price....Ya I know that it's just a pre-season game.

Yemelin was good in the 2nd half.

zzoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:36 PM
Hackett
HF Needs Feeny

Akost looks already in form which is rare for a veteran at this early stage of pre season. Hopefully its a sign that he's ready to fly out of the gate.

Diaz showed his offensive instincts. I'll go lightly on him since this was his first taste of a game on the smaller ice. I can see why the habs like him, now its a matter of adapting. He wasnt as bad as his defensive stats indicate either as his teammates didnt exactly help his cause on a couple of the goals. His vision looked to be a little narrow on the PP but I think its all a part of the adaptation process.

Woywitka has an impressive frame and stride. You can see why scouts were so high on him during his draft year. I think this guy is going to be a nice depth guy for us... certainly better than picard.

Yemelin - It didnt look like it was his first game on north american ice. I'm excited about this guy. Good wheels, strong frame, good vision. He's only going to get better. I wouldnt be surprised if he cracks into the top 4 as the season progresses.

I know there are a few others that deserve some attention but these were the guys I wanted to talk about.

Hackett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:50 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

vCash: 1707
- YEAHmelin was fine, was obviously not accustomed to the speed.
- diaz impressed me, very, very good vision for finding pass openings but weber is still a better bet for the nhl at this point.
- weber was good, he's progressing but he still made plenty of mistakes.
- tinordi impressed me with his skating. that's about it... coughed up the puck when pressured too much. but that said, i'd like to see him play another pre-season game.
- this was the AKost show tonight. i especially liked that he wasn't afraid to go all subban with the puck in order to find an opening, shows confidence. i remain, as always, a fan. **** the haters.
- woywitwhateverhisnameiska was fine. he was no worse in the first period that anybody else. it was such a cluster**** at times, there was really nobody to blame but everybody.
- trotter still got some learnin' to do
- palushaj was.... invisible. not good.
- lawson looked more like lawl-son at times - especially that last goal.

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:54 PM
hogtownhabsfan*

Quote:
It is funny everyone bashing Tinordi yet Martin himself said that he thought Tinordi played a solid game as the game went on.

There is a reason JM is coaching in the NHL and we are posting on the boards. Leave the development of our prospects to our coaching staff.
I agree. I think alot of it is that people were looking at he and Yemelin forgetting that Yemelin is 6 years older. Of course Yemelin looked awesome, he's a top 4 NHL ready 25 year old.

Tinordi had a couple of beast shifts where he was a bully, and he's mobile. I think part of it was nerves with him, remember, he is 19...

Once he gets comfortable I think he'll be a pre-injury Komisarek who can fight heavyweights. That is a valuable player. He didn't look too bad out there at all. He just was not as impressive as Yemelin which is to be expected.

hogtownhabsfan* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Hull Fan
Czech Stop

thanks for the comments guys. it's obviously just one pre-season game but it is nice to hear what the opposition thinks. good for you for getting yemelin over. I love that a Russian realizes he's good enough to play in the NHL and he wants to test himself. I'll be watching your team in the East. Best of luck this season.

Hull Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:15 AM
JackZap

liked Diaz lots. Best D for me tonight. got better as game went along. Good first passes, smart with the puck. Going to be better than Weber IMO.

JackZap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Yemelin still needs time to adjust. You can tell by how far he stands out when the puck is behind the net.

Blunden is a player who we need, but the fact that he can't do anything but hit. It's only one game, though.

No video of the Yemelin hit ?

Last edited by Analyzer: 09-21-2011 at 12:37 AM.
Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:42 AM
ECWHSWI
5M? insulting!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hogtownhabsfan View Post
I agree. I think alot of it is that people were looking at he and Yemelin forgetting that Yemelin is 6 years older. Of course Yemelin looked awesome, he's a top 4 NHL ready 25 year old.

Tinordi had a couple of beast shifts where he was a bully, and he's mobile. I think part of it was nerves with him, remember, he is 19...

Once he gets comfortable I think he'll be a pre-injury Komisarek who can fight heavyweights. That is a valuable player. He didn't look too bad out there at all. He just was not as impressive as Yemelin which is to be expected.
Agreed, Tinordi is only 19, and he has only 1 Jr year under his belt... no one in their right mind should expect any greatness from him at this point... the only thing that matters is improvement from last camp... and it should be like that for 2 or 3 more years... these type of D takes more time to develop, they dont have the offense to compensate for their mistakes on the back end...

ECWHSWI is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:44 AM
Stradale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analyzer View Post
Yemelin still needs time to adjust. You can tell by how far he stands out when the puck is behind the net.

Blunden is a player who we need, but the fact that he can't do anything but hit. It's only one game, though.

No video of the Yemelin hit ?
You can see it on RDS.CA frontpage. On the "UN LENT DÉPART COÛTEUX" segment.

Stradale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:55 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

Just finished watching the game on my DVR. It stopped 40 seconds before the game is over, I blame RDS just because.

Weber was the best player on the ice tonight. Subban-type good. Not as noticeable or flashy as Subban but he did absolutely everything right. There's a reason he was the + player on our team in a 6-3 loss.

Diaz tried to do too much at points, needs to work on holding the line. Other than that very smart player, not an NHLer yet though.

Yemelin was good at times, other times you could tell he needs some experience playing in North America.

Engqvist, wouldn't mind giving him the fourth line role. Blocks shots.

The rest of the rookies were pretty average/unnoticeable. Tinordi needs to realize he has more time with the puck, every time he got it he tried to hot potato it away and it led to a couple weak passes. Liked Berger from the few minutes he got, definitely on the next cut list though because of that penalty.

Can't wait to see the second squad tomorrow.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:40 AM
Canadiens93

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
Just finished watching the game on my DVR. It stopped 40 seconds before the game is over, I blame RDS just because.

Weber was the best player on the ice tonight. Subban-type good. Not as noticeable or flashy as Subban but he did absolutely everything right. There's a reason he was the + player on our team in a 6-3 loss.

Diaz tried to do too much at points, needs to work on holding the line. Other than that very smart player, not an NHLer yet though.

Yemelin was good at times, other times you could tell he needs some experience playing in North America.

Engqvist, wouldn't mind giving him the fourth line role. Blocks shots.

The rest of the rookies were pretty average/unnoticeable. Tinordi needs to realize he has more time with the puck, every time he got it he tried to hot potato it away and it led to a couple weak passes. Liked Berger from the few minutes he got, definitely on the next cut list though because of that penalty.

Can't wait to see the second squad tomorrow.
Completely agree that Weber was the best Hab out there tonight, followed closely by AK. I also thought Gill and Diaz were absolutely awful in their own end.

Canadiens93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:41 AM
NewHabsEra*

Quote:

Martin will always say the positive of his players, personally I will rarely criticize the GM and the coach cause I think we have the right men in place, but when it comes to player evaluation, its open to everyone and I dont most of the ones who saw tinordi tonight, know the kid still has a long way and needs to improve alot of things to be considered a ligitimate prospect.. Tinordi wouldnt crack mt top 10 prospect list at this point..

NewHabsEra* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:46 AM
The Right Price

I saw mostly just positive things: Diaz, Yemelin and Weber all looked really solid. AK was on form, which is rare for a pre-season game. Price never takes these pre-seasons game too seriously, just getting into the groove. I smell a good season coming up.

The Right Price is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:23 AM
HabsSlappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Jr View Post
I agree. and it's the same for the other guys, too. as much as this is a site where we want analyze all the players to the point of exhaustion, i personally think there's only so much you can do after one preseason game. Keep in mind how intricate Martin's system is, and not only how hard it is for the D-men to adapt defensively, but for the forwards just as much.

On a whole, i thought the team defence actually wasn't that bad tonight, it was simply just not a stellar Price in nets--he looked not himself on at least 3 of the 4 goals.

I'm looking for obvious problems, like d-men getting easily outmuscled, outworked, and outpaced, and i thought there generally wasn't much of that at all. The positioning and decisions with the puck you can judge in about 6-7 games, not now. They're still trying to integrate with new teammates, get into game shape, and so and so forth. And the same goes for the guys that had good games. They still need to prove over a longer period and against stronger competition that they can remain focused and play at the same level.

Bottom line: it's kind of pointless to write extensive reports on these guys. Note their weaknesses and strengths, and see how they progess through camp, fine, but to write anyone off or put anyone on a pedestal at this point is a complete waste of time.
Well put. I am in Europe right now and couldn't watch the game and appreciate the "scouting" reports. But it is frustrating to see everyone making final decisions on players futures based on the first pre-season game. If you've played hockey, you know how rusty you are after not playing a real game for months. Your conditioning is also never there because it's hard to simulate game conditions. Give these guys some time to get their timing back before calling them busts and superstars.

Last edited by HabsSlappy: 09-21-2011 at 03:31 AM.
HabsSlappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:49 AM
HarlemsFinest
teh gallys!!1

it's pronounce bo-lee-yur. say it quickly, soft on the r.

think yurope, europe, beauli-europe, beauli-eu. the 'eu' rhymes with "grrr" (not rolling the r), or the word hunger.

y'all suck at teaching.

HarlemsFinest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:57 AM
The Kremelin Wall*
the krEMELIN wall

I went to school with someone with the last name. It was pronounced bowl-you more or less.

The Kremelin Wall* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:13 AM
habsjunkie2*

Quote:
Originally Posted by JackZap View Post
liked Diaz lots. Best D for me tonight. got better as game went along. Good first passes, smart with the puck. Going to be better than Weber IMO.
See, I disagree. I thought he had a great 1st period, but as the game wore on he faded and got caught positionally a few times, good first game in the NHL, but I wasn't nearly as impressed as some, from the 2nd period on Yemelin was the better player AINEC, Weber might of been the best dman on the entire night from start to finish, he didn't take a period to adjust like yemelin.

Yemelin is a keeper, he makes me feel a little less worried about losing hamrlik already. If he can play like that in his first preseason game, he is gonna make our top 4 easily sometime during the year. I was very, very impressed. I'm so excited.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:31 AM
Subban76

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitesnake View Post
Great to see Cole and Kosty as far as the vets are concerned. The other good guys were mentioned already.

One thing though....while some were incredibly impressed by Trotter, you will never convince me that he is NHL material. Just the same way that you will never convince me that Massé is....AHL material.

Was dissapointed in Palushaj who seems eager to go back to Hamilton. And Tinordi is proving that it will be a long road ahead....as predicted.
But also proved that the talent is there as JM specifically pointed out :

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/sports/hoc...4_section_POS1

Subban76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:43 AM
JHabs61

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Bourdain View Post
Even though he doesn't speak a speck of french, Beaulieu is still of French origin. Bo-li-euh more or less. If you insist on trying to say it without a French pronunciation, it would be Bow-liou, a very American style.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stasis View Post
Neither. I'm not even sure how to type it out so you'll understand the pronunciation, but if I have to try it'd be:

Beauleeyuh. There's no English sound that matches "lieu" perfectly. It's like a more refined "leeyuh". Try saying that with what you think is a French accent =P

Edit: This will show you how! http://www.forvo.com/word/lieu/ the middle one is the clearest for you really.
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Kremelin Wall View Post
I went to school with someone with the last name. It was pronounced bowl-you more or less.
Thanks guys. Heard it a couple different ways and wasn't sure

JHabs61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:52 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

A bit late to the party, but I was at the game last night after having been downtown (for school all day). I got home and passed out, lol.

Here's what I remember.

Cammalleri, Plekanec: Wasn't really paying attention to them as much. They have nothing to prove.
Cole: Best player all night. He was quick, he had a good shot, and he went to the net on the PP.
AK46: Pretty good for him. Obviously had a nice goal, and a couple nice runs with the puck, but other than that not much I remember.
Palushaj: Ugh, worst player of the night. The puck would always escape him and he made poor decisions. It just wasn't his night, I suppose, because we know he's better than this.
Willsie: Was he there? Didn't notice him.
Trotter: Mr. Francypants right here. Loved the moves, but all style and no substance. He's fast as Hell though.
Engqvist: I liked him. If he makes the team, it'll be on his defensive merits. Very responsible in his own end and he loves to block shots (something I noticed last season also)
Blunden: I saw what you guys saw. It's hard to pinpoint, but brother was everywhere tonight. Got a nice scoring chance, laid the body, and was generally disruptive to Dallas players. Solid 12th-13th guy if White's injury is serious.
Masse: ECHL, I suppose
Berger: Didn't play much, and got hit pretty badly in the 3rd - that's all I remember of him.
Schultz: Won't make the Habs, but I liked his work tonight. He was looking for a fight all game. he challenged a couple guys at the faceoff (they declined), then he finally got to go with Wathier and held his own. Then Wathier hit Berger, and Schultz was trying to get him to go again with no success. Solid performance from Schultz - came as marketed.

Yemelin: Happy with him. Was strong with the puck and he was playing chippy all game. Nice hit, but I think it was somewhat unintentional...lol
Diaz: Not bad, but not great. Maybe you guys saw something I didn't. He was very average.
Woywitka: Rough start for him, but he picked it up in the 2nd period and it led to a goal. Might hang around as defenseman #8
Gill: Aside from the giveaway for goal #4, I didn't see much wrong with Gill
Weber: Weber, however, was not himself tonight. If he plays like this more, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make opening day roster.
Tinordi: Didn't notice him too often. Made one solid hit, and other than that he was invisible to me. In a way, I suppose that's a good thing considering the type of game he plays. Still would like to see a bit more, but he played a safe game.

Price: Chill out! First goal was off Woywitka, 2nd was off Weber(or Diaz?), and 3rd he was interfered with by his own guy. Even then, we all know what happened in his first game last year, so hopefully nobody's freaking out over one bad game.
Lawson: Solid AHLer. Some nice saves, and not afraid to give Morrow a little chop, which the crowd liked.

That's all I've got. Hope it helps.

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote