Notices

PGT: 20/09/11 Split Squad with Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
09-20-2011, 11:45 PM
JetsIce*

vCash: 500
Game #1 arena sights/sounds - off ice, on ice

Hello Jets/hockey fans!

Every home game I will dish out all the insights on and off the ice for those who couldn't make it to the game, or for those who are curious about what goes on at a NHL game at MTS Centre. For those Atlanta fans, and NHL fans outside of Winnipeg this could be a useful tool to see what it's like in the city of Winnipeg on game day!

I will post vids, pictures as the season goes on. Game #1 preseason opener vs Columbus.

Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------------------

First. Parking and traffic. It was a zoo. Games that begin at 6pm or 7:00pm Monday to Friday will be chaotic with rush hour traffic.

I parked approx 12 minutes away from MTS Centre and came in through City Place. For those who don't know what that is if you are outside of Winnipeg. MTS Centre is currently on the site of Eatons(a store like The Bay, JC Penny, Bloomingdales,etc) and it was connected to Eatons place a square block shopping centre with a food court, and has been the head offices of our public insurance company, dentists, and a few offices for small businesses. The main floor has Boston Pizza where CJOB radio will do their pre-post game show. It was packed inside about 15 minute wait to get seated. City Place(formerly Eatons place) was quiet. So not sure what to say if NHL is soppose to bring business back into the downtown area. Majority of the stores were closed anyway.

Around the MTS Centre (it was raining hard) was calm. No parties, hot dog vendors,etc. It was pretty much get inside the arena, that's it. MTS Centre does not have a plaza like most arenas. You walk outside the door and you are on city sidewalk.

Once inside. You felt the electricity. Vintage Jets gear a plenty. And this is why TNSE had to name the team JETS. Anything else it would have looked silly with another name. ''Go Jets Go' chants were heard in every corner.

Now tidbits of MTS Centre

- Prices were severely gauged. $8.50 for beer. $6.50 for hot dog. $5.25 for a slice of pizza. Tip- stay away from the 3 day old pop corn. Pop drinks $4.50 (not a souviner cup. Hope they get 'em in stock soon. Tim Hortons best choice. They keep prices the same as outside stores.

- Once I got in, I walked around twice and just in time for the Jets players to step on the ice for warm-ups. They were greeted with gigantic cheers. And a song that i'm not sure the name but it was from a movie soundtrack remix. Anyone that knows please post.

-Lights went down and with about 4 minutes on the clock you knew it was coming but no ''here comes your winnipeg jets'', no music. It was simply a walk onto the ice and huge cheers.

-Some major glitches. The majority of the speakers did not work inside the MTS Centre. So the PA anouncer could not be heard. Above the clock speakers were the only ones working and it was like this all game.

-Dancing Gabe got largest and longest cheer aside from Jets coming onto the ice.

- 'GO JETS GO' chants a bit off. I know it's been 15 years but the off'sync attempts were hard to listen too. Way too fast.

- Jumbotron ain't no jumbo. It's a minitron. Has to be the smallest videoboard in the NHL. I think the old bright lights winnipeg arena clock was bigger. You need binocs to see any of the video.

- 3 stars were the highlight of the night for me and a close 2nd were the centre ice fans tribute.

A long walk back to the car into a strong north wind. Is it winter yet? Toughest decision is to listen to 1290 or CJOB. Both are good.

Nice to be back into the show. Hopefully real opening night TNSE gets the glitches fix and the crowd gets their 'go jets go' chants in sync. And wear white!

Last edited by JetsIce*: 09-20-2011 at 11:50 PM.
JetsIce* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:54 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 287
I was very impressed with the team tonight. I totally understand it was pre-season but I like the compete level I saw. My overall impression is as such:
Scheifele- I was very impressed with him tonight, overall he played a good balanced game and was a player to note every shift. I kept saying to people in my section "I don't think he's ready to be an NHL player BUT it's tough to send someone down who does nothing but produce".
Antropov- Started slow. His lack of speed was evident. He looked to me like he was trying to make the right plays but his execution was off. In the third I thought he really stepped up and played well.
Byfuglien- Really impressed me. Made some poor defensive choices, but came to play. He looked like he was on another level offensively and was in his element at the point. Loved how he set the tone and was a physical force the entire game. Also doesn't hurt that he was at times having some fun with my section and chatting with those of us close to the boards.
Stuart- Loved him. Solid defensively, great leader. Not a flashy player, but very meat and potatoes.
Burmistrov- Great hands. 'Nuff said.
Pavs- Played well when called upon. I think he's on the right track to having a very solid year.
Bogosian- I was looking for signs of hope from him, and was not disappointed. He wasn't perfect, but he definitely looked like he was a step a head of the talent level on the ice. I feel good about him coming away from the game.

I could go on all night but I'll stop there.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 287
This thread seems very self indulgent to me.
Beer was 8.25 which is a 75 cent increase if I remember correctly (which is not in anyway gouging). If anyone thought prices would remain the same, you're dreaming.
I heard from a reliable source it was a technical issue related to the music/PA announcing. Thought that is yet to be confirmed.
I had zero problem with the "minitron". I never have, I found the video crisp and clear (probably due to the enhancements).

Either way, I don't really think we need this run down after every game...

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:59 PM
gibber1600

WOW!! Just got back from the game. I have had Moose ST for 8 years. First Star= the CROWD. It felt like a playoff game, like the Hershey playoff game a couple years ago. Dancing Gabe got a huge cheer while dancing. Burnistov looks scary, what hands! Shefielle looked great, Bogo is great but young, mistakes. Buff was a beast tonight.

gibber1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:01 AM
Scoreburn

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
So it did not sell out? That is very disappointing if that is what happened. I know it is pre-season but I really thought we would sell out EVERYTHING for the next 3 years...
The had to remove some seats for the NHL cameras. If I remember the arena held 15015 before so removing 12 seats sounds about right.

Scoreburn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:03 AM
Damascus

OP.. have you even been to a hockey game in the last 15 years?!

Damascus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:04 AM
gibber1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
This thread seems very self indulgent to me.
Beer was 8.25 which is a 75 cent increase if I remember correctly (which is not in anyway gouging). If anyone thought prices would remain the same, you're dreaming.
I heard from a reliable source it was a technical issue related to the music/PA announcing. Thought that is yet to be confirmed.
I had zero problem with the "minitron". I never have, I found the video crisp and clear (probably due to the enhancements).

Either way, I don't really think we need this run down after every game...
Agree! Great game, arena will be ready opening night, relax.

gibber1600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:05 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I would now like to take this moment to point all those homer couch "scouts" who moaned about the mistake we made by taking Scheifele over Couturier to the door.

Sure it's only been a few meaningless pre-season/young stars games, but the Philly fans haven't liked what they've seen in Couts and I aqm loving what I see in Scheifele.
Did you even know who he was before he was drafted? I know I did. I'm one of the people that you could be referring to, since I thought he was a good player, but also thought we could of traded back to acquire him. Never have I implied that he wasn't a good player. I guess we'll never know where he would have gone if the Jets hadn't picked him, so I guess your argument is that of a "straw man" and hindsight is your best friend.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Brendanl06

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlurryOfStyx View Post
The had to remove some seats for the NHL cameras. If I remember the arena held 15015 before so removing 12 seats sounds about right.
They sent out an email to people on the waiting list saying there were tickets available. I'm not sure the exact time but I know it was this afternoon.

I think they came available as part of the 500 the NHL reserves per game. Not sure if it's going to be like this in the future (short notice for available tickets) though.

Brendanl06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:10 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetsWillFly4Ever View Post
Great game in Winnipeg tonight and almost everyone on the ice played well.

But man, I can see why Atlanta fans called Bogosian "Oh'noesian" (or something like that). At the start of the game I thought he was the best player on the ice, and then he made a few absolute bonehead plays. It seemed like he got lost a couple times. Particularly on their goal, he chases a guy around the net and makes himself completely useless instead of staying in front and just moving over to the other side. That being said I can see how he oozes in potential. If he can figure everything out then he has the potential to be a top pairing defensemen in this league.

Bogo also has to work on his ability to clear the defensive zone. He seemed to have problems when he didn't use his speed.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:10 AM
KingSalamon

Hot Damn what a game! It's been a long time since I've been to a Jets game and it felt good!

This is going to be one heck of a fun season!

Buff was diggin' the crowd at the beginning of the game... I think he'll enjoy it here!

If it was this loud tonight... I wonder what it'll be like on October 9th?

KingSalamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:14 AM
Wpg Jets Fan

Jets highlights were sure limited on sportsnet ! You can really tell they are tsn's team. Brutal guess I will stay up till 12 to watch sportsnet highlights.

Ps Doug. McLean is a retard, man I hate that guy.

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:22 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpg Jets Fan View Post
Jets highlights were sure limited on sportsnet ! You can really tell they are tsn's team. Brutal guess I will stay up till 12 to watch sportsnet highlights.

Ps Doug. McLean is a retard, man I hate that guy.

At least it's not Milbury, Healy or McGuire

Old
09-21-2011, 12:26 AM
Wpg Jets Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
At least it's not Milbury, Healy or McGuire
You have a point but honestly he is not far off milbury! His comments and opinions are always so stupid. I always listen to team 1260 in Edmonton and he is on frequently. It's horrible!

Wpg Jets Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:29 AM
angrymnky

Yeah, the tsn highlites were what 20 seconds worth?

What an amazing NHL preseason game. Wonder how crazy the opener will get?

And I wonder if some people will still be talking about a 2 or 3 year plan for Scheifele to be NHL ready.

angrymnky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:36 AM
Lomac

vCash: 315
I found it funny the reversal of the washroom line-ups for guys and ladies. The guys had a massive line(at least in the upper bowl sections) and the ladies had no lines...lol..they were having a good laugh at us suckers in line.

Lomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:41 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by angrymnky View Post
Yeah, the tsn highlites were what 20 seconds worth?

What an amazing NHL preseason game. Wonder how crazy the opener will get?

And I wonder if some people will still be talking about a 2 or 3 year plan for Scheifele to be NHL ready.
I still think he needs another year in the OHL. He has some things to work on (skating, strength, bulk, etc) and I'd rather we not waste a year on his ELC playing him this year. The plan isn't only about "the now", it's about the best possible future.

Now that I think about it Scheifele doesn't even have a ELC contract, so without that he isn't playing this year.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:53 AM
hockeyarena
.net

vCash: 1503
wow what a game! dream come true, exactly as i imagined it to be!

My thoughts:
-Antropov was by far the least hard working player on the ice. The guy is big but really not all that powerful, got knocked over a few times fairly easily. Very slow and doesn't seem to care. Better pick it up or he's going to get boo'd right out of winnipeg.
-Ladd is a great penalty killer! very reliable player, not the most talent in the world but a great guy to have.
-Burmi has sick hands, great skater as well. Needs to make better decisions with the puck though, but he'll get that from Noel, great talent.
-Buff was super entertaining, so much fun to watch. He makes everything look so easy, and so powerful...i was so impressed.
-Pavelec was outstanding when called upon. Very impressed with him...going to be a top 10 goalie in the league for a long time.
-Bogosian is very talented. I was really happy with him. Put in a good effort and has a clapper from the point.
-Stuart looked really good. Nice defensive defenceman. Sticks up for his teammates, another great guy to have.
-Sheifele...the man of the hour. What a 1st game. The kid is going to be a superstar for us if he keeps it up. In a perfect world he'd be on the team centering the 1st line but we'll send him to jr. for 1 more year and it will serve him well.

hockeyarena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:45 AM
Jet
Confirmed Pav Basher

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparxx87 View Post
Came to say congratulations on the show tonight... You guys deserve this, and the players deserve to be somewhere they're appreciated!

Great to see hockey back in Winnipeg where it belongs!!

Got chills seeing the team salute the crowd post game, almost nobody left in a 6-1 game!!

Good luck this season..... Great to have another Canadian team, finally!

09-21-2011, 02:02 AM
dgorsk

damn i got chills watching that

dgorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:06 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Nice vid man. Really get a good feel that TV doesn't give you.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:39 AM
SaskaToba

vCash: 848
Great game tonight, good to see Byfuglien get off to a start like that. It was electric in that rink.

Ladd- slow start but picked it up and showed why he is the leader of this team

Antropov- I have to agree with most that he just plain and simple looked slow out there. I'm sure he'll put up points because his game is more about being in the right places.

Pesonen- has some speed to him, his decision making maybe wasn't quite there but he was in the mix tonight

Telegin- Other than his goal I didn't think he looked too impressive

Cormier- I don't know what is icetime was like but I didn't notice him that much, i expected more physical play maybe.

Bodie- He didn't do a whole lot in my opinion, liked that he dropped the mitts but I just don't see him in this teams future.

Weibe- I thought he was out of position a bit sometimes but he works extremely hard and almost got rewarded if it wasn't for that post, I think he could fight for a spot on the team after a couple years in St. John's

Burmistrov- the guy just has ridiculous hands, I feel like he's going to develop into a mix between Pavel Bure and Pavel Datsyuk. Big fan.

Gregoire- I liked his game tonight, played on an edge was always battling, I think he will be a key player on the Ice Caps this year and a call-up.

Maxwell- I like his game, sometime I felt he got overmanned sometime but I guess that'll come with more experience.

Scheifele- Not sure I can say anything that hasn't already been said, going to be tough to send him down, but IMHO I think he should have another year in Junior with Hawerchuk.

Clark- What a sick goal, that was great, he didn't play too bad, had some shots and I can only imagine how that felt to score in front of your hometown crowd in an atmosphere like that.

Byfuglien- just a beast, like I said, happy to see his thunderous start and constant agitating the whole game.

Stuart
- I like Stuart think he'll be a solid dependable defensemen for the next few years

Bogosian
- I know he made mistakes but I like the type of d man he is trying to be. Once he fine tunes his game and gets smarter with his decision making he will be an absolute rock solid stud for a long time.

Festerling- played solid, loved that hip check and I think he is definitely a guy I didn't know much about before tonight and he overcame by expectations

Postma- reallllly like Potsma he seemed to be in the right spots all night and I think he will be 7th D/call-up this year and then full-time next season with lots of ice time

Kulda- he's one I didn't notice that much but he seemed to make the right plays to get out of the zone.

Pavelec - Solid, I have so much confidence in him to carry this team to the playoffs in coming years (if not this year)

Aebischer- Happy to see him trying to get back in the NHL, I think this training camp will be more for him to find another team around the league to play for since the Jets don't really have a need for another goalie unless he beats out Chris Mason. But I don't see that happening since Mason is under contract.

SaskaToba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:40 AM
saskganesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
I found it funny the reversal of the washroom line-ups for guys and ladies. The guys had a massive line(at least in the upper bowl sections) and the ladies had no lines...lol..they were having a good laugh at us suckers in line.
Heh. I've only ever seen that once before in my life. It was at a Steve Winwood/Santana concert.

saskganesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:28 AM
OthmarAmmann
Money making machine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lomac View Post
BRING BACK THE TROUGHS!!!!

Seriously, higher level of throughput with those things per square foot. Dudes who are uncomfortable should wait on line for a stall instead and let the line move.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:34 AM
Inflict
Viking

Quote:
Originally Posted by OthmarAmmann View Post
BRING BACK THE TROUGHS!!!!

Seriously, higher level of throughput with those things per square foot. Dudes who are uncomfortable should wait on line for a stall instead and let the line move.
You are probably the only person in the world who prefers troughs... They are horrible. They smell terrible, there is no privacy ("Wont someone PLEASE think of the children!?"), and the worst feeling in the world is having someone to your left and right, shoulder to shoulder, and feeling their piss "mist" on your arms/hands.

Inflict is offline   Reply With Quote