HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

GDT: Flyers at Leafs 10/11

Closed Thread

Old
10-12-2005, 03:56 AM
DeleteThisAccount

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by TML-SM
at least we are not famous for having witch-hunts
but then is Salem evern a city ? i know NE pretty well, and, alas, have no idea where Salem is. how many people you got living there, 150 ?
Massachusetts.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:00 AM
priceperlb*

New to the boards, and let me start by saying the "New NHL" looks like the old NHL.

Thanks to the Center Ice preview I've been able to see a lot of other teams play and the refs have already stopped calling the games.

The other thing I've seen is 10 players skating all over the ice unless it's a Flyers game where only five guys are skating and none of them wear a Flyers logo. This is also the same as the old NHL. When a team doesn't put the effort in the refs hit them with every weak call and the team putting the effort in get a pass more often than not.

I know they skate to and from each zone but then the Flyers just stop and wait for someone else to do something. No hitting, no racing for the puck, no getting in position. There are flashes, like when Forsberg tries to get room while looking for someone open, but his linemates are standing around flatfooted. They can't get going from stop to even help. Nobody wants the puck.

Esche has never been a great goaltender, but when the team in front of him are playing he doesn't have to be great. All Tellqvist(?) had to do was be the proud owner of a torso to stop the puck and with everyone standing in his crease nobody could get a stick on a rebound to make him pay. When they aren't standing to close to him they're all a bunch of wallflowers giving him a great view of the shooter.

Until they decide it's worth skating and playing they will not get the calls in their favor and they will not get enough goals to really make anyone pay. Brodeur was outed last season (I'm not saying last year) after Stevens went out. He was a much worse goaltender when Stevens wasn't there to clear the crease and the Flyers got some weak shots past him, just like last season. If they play that same game with thatsame lack of intensity the Devils win 9 out of 10.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:23 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514
good job by the rest of the team by quitting

Anyone see Jeff Carter?
I know...I am about to probably get flammed but here goes.

While I believe Carter will have an impact for us at some point, he should either be sent down to Phantoms or scratched. I still don't think he is 100%. He is losing every battle for the puck, is being knocked off of the puck far to easily when he has it, has not shown his speed yet and has yet to lay a decent body check.

So far Foppa, Gags, Knuble, Pitkanen and Johnson are he only guys to show up for all 3 games. Richards and Sim have been ok, but everyone else has done nothing of note.

Hitchcock needs to send a message to this team...maybe sit Carter and let Esche sulk on the bench.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:25 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountainHawk
Where's the interference call in front of the net? Apparently, the new rules apply to only 29 teams.
There were missed calls on both teams...I hate using this as an excuse.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:28 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claypool
Every year Philly has a goaltending problem, yet everyone praises Bobby Clarke for being such a great GM.
When our GM can amass the young talent we have..he is a great GM.

The Phantoms and Titans (our ECHL affiliate) both win thier championships and the Flyers make it 1 game away from the Cup finals...yeah he such a bad GM.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:42 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Forsberg did take a shot, and it ended up causing the second Gagne goal. While Forsberg may possess some of the best hands in the NHL, he doesn't like to shoot unless needed (or in the playoffs......just wait....God he is good in the playoffs). The thing with Forsberg is, he makes everyone else better.....and you should be seeing that by now. SOmone said that Gagne has been twice the player that Forsberg has been, but I counter.....when has Gagne ever been this good.....nadda. Forsberg draws the players to him, and he singlehandedly kept that sequence going that resulted in a Gagne goal for far longer than it should have been. Gagne will be able to use his talents like he never has had before, and he will, at times, out play Forsberg......however, it is largely because the man is on the line with him.

Esche was Okay..but he was also far from being good. The goal from Lindros is not as perfect as some of you are trying to make it sound. It was a decent shot, but you need your goalie to make those saves. Goal 3 - no chance.....but goal number 4 buried the team.

Final comment:

Jon Sim????

I don't know what you mean by that, but he has been arguably a top 5 forward on this team so far.

Old
10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
pelts35.com

[QUOTE=Enoch]Esche was Okay..but he was also far from being good. The goal from Lindros is not as perfect as some of you are trying to make it sound. It was a decent shot, but you need your goalie to make those saves. Goal 3 - no chance.....but goal number 4 buried the team./QUOTE]

No comment about the first goal that was a typical Robert Esche rebound left right on the doorstep?

Old
10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by priceperlb
New to the boards, and let me start by saying the "New NHL" looks like the old NHL.

Thanks to the Center Ice preview I've been able to see a lot of other teams play and the refs have already stopped calling the games.

Are you sure you're watching NHL games?

Old
10-12-2005, 09:51 AM
John Flyers Fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enoch
Forsberg did take a shot, and it ended up causing the second Gagne goal. While Forsberg may possess some of the best hands in the NHL, he doesn't like to shoot unless needed (or in the playoffs......just wait....God he is good in the playoffs). The thing with Forsberg is, he makes everyone else better.....and you should be seeing that by now. SOmone said that Gagne has been twice the player that Forsberg has been, but I counter.....when has Gagne ever been this good.....nadda. Forsberg draws the players to him, and he singlehandedly kept that sequence going that resulted in a Gagne goal for far longer than it should have been. Gagne will be able to use his talents like he never has had before, and he will, at times, out play Forsberg......however, it is largely because the man is on the line with him.
#1. I'm well aware that once Forsberg gets to 100% he'll be the best player in the league. That doesn't make him infallible. There have been times when he's in great position to score a goal and he's tried to make a pass.

#2. Gagne has been the best Flyer hands down. Just because Forsberg is the superior talent doesn't mean he'll be the best player on the ice every night. Gagne was just as good in the preseason, with Forsberg watching from the pressbox. Gagne was going to have a real big year with or without Forsberg. The addition of Forsberg will just make him even that much better.

Old
10-12-2005, 09:58 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan
#2. Gagne has been the best Flyer hands down. Just because Forsberg is the superior talent doesn't mean he'll be the best player on the ice every night. Gagne was just as good in the preseason, with Forsberg watching from the pressbox. Gagne was going to have a real big year with or without Forsberg. The addition of Forsberg will just make him even that much better.
Couldn't have said it better myself...With or with out Foppa this will be a break out year for Gags offensively.

Old
10-12-2005, 10:36 AM
Blindside9711

Send a message via MSN to Blindside9711
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nacho
Ok *** is up with the refs, that's two boarding calls in almost the same shift that they missed...?
They're cracking down on the stick infractions and holding, but missing out on the penalties that actually cause injuries. What's the point?
Seriously there was 2 on Richards alone and one more on Radivojevic. If I'm the Flyers, I gotta be talking to the zebra's about these non-calls, that's just inexcusable. Either one of those guys could be paralyzed right now.

Old
10-12-2005, 10:40 AM
Jester

Quote:
I'm sure.

Is that all you got? Brilliant. I can see I'm outclassed here. Too much knowledge.... can't keep up with the insight...... whining boring...... intrest fading...... must search out intelligence......... maybe I'll just take a nap....... wake me when the games become what you think they are........zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz
they're averaging 2+ more goals per game so far this year... so disregarding the fact that your observations are so far from the reality of the way the game is being played at the moment (the fact that lead changes are occuring with amazing regularity is empirical enough), that alone should tell you it isn't even close to being the same NHL...

Last edited by Jester: 10-12-2005 at 10:52 AM.
Old
10-12-2005, 10:45 AM
Banger

I'm not an Esche basher and I wouldn't say any of the goals were his fault but coming up with a big save once in a while wouldn't hurt. Why does it seem like the opposing goalie ALWAYS makes a ton of big saves each game while the other team scores on shots from their defensemen from the blueline?

Pitkanen will be a monster if he continues to play as he did last night. He nearly got 2-3 goals and should be force if he continues.

Be patient with Carter. I think he's played progressively better each game. Playing him with Brasheer though is not doing him any favors. Not a Brash basher either but I think his time on the team has run its course. He throws some body checks but takes just as many penalties.

Gagne / Forsberg / knuble will be a pleasure to watch this year.

Old
10-12-2005, 11:08 AM
The True Blue Crew

I know it's in MA, but whereabouts in MA ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Massachusetts.

Old
10-12-2005, 11:09 AM
Jester

Quote:
central i believe... WHY did this come up?

Old
10-12-2005, 11:09 AM
jb**

Quote:
Originally Posted by Banger
I'm not an Esche basher and I wouldn't say any of the goals were his fault but coming up with a big save once in a while wouldn't hurt. Why does it seem like the opposing goalie ALWAYS makes a ton of big saves each game while the other team scores on shots from their defensemen from the blueline?

Pitkanen will be a monster if he continues to play as he did last night. He nearly got 2-3 goals and should be force if he continues.

Be patient with Carter. I think he's played progressively better each game. Playing him with Brasheer though is not doing him any favors. Not a Brash basher either but I think his time on the team has run its course. He throws some body checks but takes just as many penalties.

Gagne / Forsberg / knuble will be a pleasure to watch this year.
Pretty sad performance. Wouldn't have thought that 2 out of 3 games this team would be outplayed and hustled. Scoring is going to be an issue for this team.
Esche doesnt look right no flow to his game, no energy or fiestyness. looks very disinterested. The powerplay looks terrible everyone looks hesitant. I already tired of using Primeau exclusivly for "shut down center" role. He has the ability to score why not use it, don't want to hear that is not his role, he can multi task. Carter needs to get some strength back like a prev post said. He is losing every battle for the puck. These penalties being called are a joke. Never seen a more boring leafs/Flyers game. The physical play was non-existent, no scrums,fights or anything. The crowd there was very quite it seemed. Why didn't they crash the net against the leafs as they did the Devils?

Only consolation is they play the Pens who have no concept of D and if they bring it to them like they did against Nj it should be a win as the Pens can't match up physicly against us

Old
10-12-2005, 11:37 AM
GoneFullHextall
Fire Berube

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester
btw: kapanen can't get back soon enough. (just noticed that this was just mentioned)

he'll help the PK, and i think could also be a force with the open skating lanes.

I was thinking the same thing last night watching this game, man we sure could have used his speed last night and what he brings to the rink every night.

Old
10-12-2005, 11:39 AM
priceperlb*

Quote:
they're averaging 2+ more goals per game so far this year... so disregarding the fact that your observations are so far from the reality of the way the game is being played at the moment (the fact that lead changes are occuring with amazing regularity is empirical enough), that alone should tell you it isn't even close to being the same NHL...
Wow! 2 whole goals?!?!? Ya got me again!

Of course you failed to comprehend I was talking about the referees and the lack of calling the penalties since the first couple games of the season, which was significantly less than in the preseason. Smaller goalie equipment and increased size of the offensive zone is enough for that miraculous change in scoring dynamics.

Still bored.......insight missing........worthless arguments boring......must avoid further contact with computer nerds.......I guess I'll go where I won't run into anymore of you.......outside........

Old
10-12-2005, 11:41 AM
Jester

Quote:

Of course you failed to comprehend I was talking about the referees and the lack of calling the penalties since the first couple games of the season, which was significantly less than in the preseason. Smaller goalie equipment and increased size of the offensive zone is enough for that miraculous change in scoring dynamics.

Still bored.......insight missing........worthless arguments boring......must avoid further contact with computer nerds.......I guess I'll go where I won't run into anymore of you.......outside........
ah trolling... the art of the inferior intellect.

Old
10-12-2005, 11:43 AM
Coburnfan05

Quote:

WOW......it only took you 3 posts to look like a moron.

Old
10-12-2005, 12:02 PM
Stonehands77

Quote:
central i believe... WHY did this come up?
Actually, Salem is on the North Shore, north of Boston. See here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salem%2C_Massachusetts. It was also a big whaling port back in the day. And no, there aren't 150 people there TML-SM, there are over 40,000 as of the last census (40,407 according to that wikipedia link). And Halloween central, I might add. Went up there a few years ago to check it out...it was rather entertaining. And the House of the Seven Gables is a little spooky looking at night, I must say.

As for that game, ugh. The only positives I took from it was how well the Gagne-Forsberg-Knuble line played, and the play of Pitkanen. He was feisty, flying all over the ice, and had some good chances in the offensive zone. Plus, he wasn't afraid to get right in Lindros' face, which was amusing. I must say, very impressive game by Pitkanen. I'm glad to see him stepping up like that, and here's hoping he keeps it up.

Old
10-12-2005, 12:20 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Battousai
Massachusetts.
How can you not know that?

Old
10-12-2005, 12:22 PM
Verbal Kint*

Quote:
The point was moreso how does Salem have anything to do with the Leafs/Flyers game and the Leafs not being able to light up the building.

Old
10-12-2005, 01:51 PM
Coburnfan05

Quote:
1,100 huh? I guess you started from post#1 and just kept going. Brilliant.

Anybody have anyting worthwhile to say?........................No? Didn't think so. Enjoy the worthless nerdering.

I'd love to sit and debate who's the biggest crybaby fans and where Salem is, but I have to use my brain....buh bye
If you are going to attempt to insult me, please be original and not feed off my post.

1+1 = 2...it's not that hard.

Old
10-12-2005, 02:11 PM
pelts35.com

Quote:
1,100 huh? I guess you started from post#1 and just kept going. Brilliant.

Anybody have anyting worthwhile to say?........................No? Didn't think so. Enjoy the worthless nerdering.

I'd love to sit and debate who's the biggest crybaby fans and where Salem is, but I have to use my brain....buh bye
1) This isn't a chat room, this is a message board. Thus, nobody can immediately respond to your "anybody have anything worthwhile to say"

2) What exactly is nerdering? I can't seem to find it in the dictionary.

Closed Thread