HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

How has Couturier looked?

Old
09-20-2011, 01:59 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Wayne Gretzky View Post
I like that we have some logical fans. Why anyone thought he had a chance to make this team with this depth out the gate is beyond me. We drafted him and knew all about his size and weak play in the corners, which is why he will develop in Jrs as he should. My assumption is 2 years in Jrs, Hartnells contract expires and Couturier is his replacement.
I love the way you just completely made something up to support your point. He wasn't drafted knowing that he was weak in the corners. I've never seen a single scout report that has said that.

Spongolium* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Mgkibbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by jags6868 View Post
Does this mean that Nylander will be making the team?
No, doesn't mean that at all, unless Schenn fails too.

Mgkibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I like that we have some logical fans. Why anyone thought he had a chance to make this team with this depth out the gate is beyond me. We drafted him and knew all about his size and weak play in the corners, which is why he will develop in Jrs as he should. My assumption is 2 years in Jrs, Hartnells contract expires and Couturier is his replacement.
Well since he can play in the AHL next season I HIGHLY doubt he is in juniors again after this coming season.

sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 03:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I think you mean its between Schenn and Nylander if anything. Couturier wasn't even practicing with the A squad at camp. the lines were as follows

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Talbot - Nylander / Schenn - Simmonds
Shelley - Betts - Nodl / Mair

No Couturier on the ice with those guys.
This information is also incorrect. The first day of practice had those players on the squad, but DAY 2 had Read and Couturier on lines and completely different lines then the ones you just posted.

Old
09-20-2011, 04:09 PM
FlyersCup08

People are getting called out left and right in this thread

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 04:15 PM
BobbyClarkeFan16

Well, Couturier is a bigger player, which means that they take time to grow into their bodies. At this time, getting him into pro camp so he knows what's expected of him is the best thing that can happen to him. I'm willing to bet that next year, he'll be ready. Let's also not forget that he is a center and that centers don't go very often into the corners - that's what wingers usually do. So, if Couturier is weak going into the corners, it's only because it's something a center normally doesn't do.

The good news is that there's no need to rush Sean into the lineup and that he can finish off developing his game in junior this year and the AHL next year.

BobbyClarkeFan16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:52 PM
John Wayne Gretzky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spongolium View Post
I love the way you just completely made something up to support your point. He wasn't drafted knowing that he was weak in the corners. I've never seen a single scout report that has said that.
Actually if you watched the draft and the scouting reports on NHL.com they said his weaknesses were his strength on the puck and inability to use his size.

Also to the other guy, Couturier cannot play in the AHL next season, I do not know where you are getting your info.

John Wayne Gretzky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Kershaw

Quote:
I think you mean its between Schenn and Nylander if anything. Couturier wasn't even practicing with the A squad at camp. the lines were as follows

JVR - Giroux - Jagr
Hartnell - Briere - Voracek
Talbot - Nylander / Schenn - Simmonds
Shelley - Betts - Nodl / Mair

No Couturier on the ice with those guys.
If Nylander makes the team, it's because he's going to feed the puck to Jagr.

Just swap Simmonds with Voracek, than swap Voracek with Jagr.

Kershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 06:57 PM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Care to provide those scouting reports, because i'm calling ********

Old
09-20-2011, 06:58 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
Actually if you watched the draft and the scouting reports on NHL.com they said his weaknesses were his strength on the puck and inability to use his size.

Also to the other guy, Couturier cannot play in the AHL next season, I do not know where you are getting your info.
Umm from the CBA...

and right here:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=403429

Quote:
There is a private agreement in place between the NHL and the CHL that governs when a player coming from the CHL can play in the AHL. A player from the CHL has to either turn 20 by December 31st of the season (ie a player born in 1987 can start playing in the 2007-08 season, a player born in 1988 can start playing in the 2008-09 season etc.) OR have completed 4 seasons of junior eligibility.
Sean Couturier's stats:

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/p...php?pid=115908

Quote:
2008-09 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL 58 9 22 31 14 24 19 1 7 8 8
2009-10 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL 68 41 55 96 47 62 14 10 8 18 18
2010-11 Drummondville Voltigeurs QMJHL 58 36 60 96 36 55 10 6 5 11
He has played 3 QMJHL seasons, meaning after he plays there 1 more season, he would have completed 4 QMJHL seasons. This than allows him to play in the AHL.

Old
09-20-2011, 08:03 PM
FlyersCup08

Boom Roasted

FlyersCup08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:21 PM
Karlssonlee

Sens Fan here,

I always wondered about this pick. It looked as if Philly wasn't fully prepared to pick at 8 and when they did they were shocked that Couturier was still available. I was expecting Philly to pick Hamilton, seemed like the ideal fit, but once Couts fell they changed their mind.

Is this a fair assessment or am i way off lool, i'm just curious

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:50 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Quote:

Actually....

Here are the analyst comments at the draft.

~1:03 - "You get an idea of how strong he is on the puck, rolling out of the corner"

~1:13 - "He's strong on the puck."

The negatives they say are that he is physically weak, needs to add a few pounds, and not the best skater.

It's sort of contradictory. They say he is a bit weak and needs to bulk up, but twice, specifically say how strong he is on the puck.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:54 PM
MiamiScreamingEagles
Global Moderator
A Fistful of Dollars

vCash: 2473
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlssonlee View Post
Sens Fan here,

I always wondered about this pick. It looked as if Philly wasn't fully prepared to pick at 8 and when they did they were shocked that Couturier was still available. I was expecting Philly to pick Hamilton, seemed like the ideal fit, but once Couts fell they changed their mind.

Holmgren's stance prior to the draft was that the team would select the best player remaining on the board regardless of position. Hamilton was a possible pick had Couturier been selected. The team was surprised that Couturier was still available.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KfFzODoD7YY
MiamiScreamingEagles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:25 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:

You are wrong my man. He is strong on the puck. That is one of his strengths. He needs to get stronger and work on his skating. I do not know where YOU are getting your info. I will have to admit he played a very good game tonight. He stood out. I was impressed by his play tonight.

I am assuming you are commenting about Sean. If not I stand corrected.

Last edited by Hockeypete49: 09-20-2011 at 10:31 PM.
Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:29 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Sens Fan here,

Yep they were going to pick Dougie. But when Sean dropped to them it was a no brainer as they had him rated way higher than 8.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:31 PM
leafsfuture

Leaf fan here.... Couturier is going to be a beast. Down low on the cycle he looks like Jordan Staal, you cant take it off him.... but here is the kicker, hes got better vision than Staal (at least potentially)

I still think he will be the steal of 2011, hes definitely in RNH, Landeskog, Huberdeau class. You guys are really lucky to have him.

leafsfuture is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:58 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Couturier is not "physically strong." Bigger, stronger guys can knock him over.

He needs work mostly on lower body strength.

However, Couturier is extremely effective at using his size, something that was also evident in JVR. Because of this and his incredible stick-handling he's very good at keep away even without that pure physical strength.

As to the Leaf fan, he's got better vision than Staal and better stick skills. He's just as good if not a better shooter.

Basically give Jordan Staal top line or better offensive potential. Basically Eric Staal. That's Couturier's potential.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:55 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Sens Fan here,

According to a poster on HF that interviewed Duncan Siemens, they had told Siemens they were going to pick him. Then Couts dropped and they felt they couldn't pass on him. Simon Nolet, their QMJHL scout told RDS they were surprised he fell to 8th because they had him ranked higher.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:07 AM
Parise9Crosby87

looked pretty good tonight

Parise9Crosby87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:42 AM
Spongolium*
Potato Magician

Whole lotta ownage in this thread

Old
09-22-2011, 03:37 AM
Bryanbryoil

Kid uses his size very well to protect the puck but last I saw of him in juniors he definitely needed to get stronger.

09-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Karlssonlee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
According to a poster on HF that interviewed Duncan Siemens, they had told Siemens they were going to pick him. Then Couts dropped and they felt they couldn't pass on him. Simon Nolet, their QMJHL scout told RDS they were surprised he fell to 8th because they had him ranked higher.
Wow!

That sure would have made things interesting if Siemens was picked at the 8th spot.

Karlssonlee is offline   Reply With Quote