PGT: 20/09/11 Split Squad with Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
09-21-2011, 04:38 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
You are probably the only person in the world who prefers troughs... They are horrible. They smell terrible, there is no privacy ("Wont someone PLEASE think of the children!?"), and the worst feeling in the world is having someone to your left and right, shoulder to shoulder, and feeling their piss "mist" on your arms/hands.
I agree. It wouldn't take long to see a fight when someone pisses on someone else. Not to mention it screams low class, aand our city already has that type of rep as is. Why not just have fans piss on the outside of the building instead?

They will obviously need to build more washrooms at some point in the future. Where they'll put them isn't my problem.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:07 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

vCash: 375
Awesome game! Was great to be apart of it!
Man my throat hurts and I am pretty tired
It is going yo be a loooong day at work today....
But it was all worth it!

Go Jets Go!

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:47 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
is it saturday yet?? next up The Ville!!!

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:07 AM
almostawake

Quote:
You are probably the only person in the world who prefers troughs... They are horrible. They smell terrible, there is no privacy ("Wont someone PLEASE think of the children!?"), and the worst feeling in the world is having someone to your left and right, shoulder to shoulder, and feeling their piss "mist" on your arms/hands.
The pro-trough movement is more powerful than you could ever understand. We are you're Brothers, we are you're Fathers and bosses and Sons. We are the guy you see on the bus and the dude pumping your gas.

Make no mistake, the pro-trough movement is alive and well, lying in wait for the perfect opportunity to launch our revolution.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:22 AM
mzappa
Jets fans in space

vCash: 50
My videos from preseason game #1

Last edited by Jet: 09-21-2011 at 12:49 PM. Reason: fixed YT tags
mzappa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:36 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
Re; Bogosian, I think he's got enough tools to overcome his decision making in terms of when and when not to jump into the rush, what to do in his own end when he's only got that split second to make a decision, etc. The main thing I watched last night out of Bogosian was likely the most important thing, and that is confidence. He was confident in what he was doing, confident in his abilities, and you could tell. He made a few mistakes, but overall I think he did pretty well and displayed what kind of potential and tools he has and what kind of defenceman he can be. If he can ever put it all together - and I think he will, he could be one of the games better defenceman.

I personally think it's important to remember he is still just a 21 year old defenceman, and for a defenceman in the NHL, that is extremely young. While he has had 3 years experience under his belt, he's still so damn young. Give him time and be patient, that is key. To think in 4 years, which seems like a long time - he will still be just 25 years old and on the cusp of entering his prime years and at that point he'll have 7 years of NHL experience to his name.

At the end of the day, I think it's pretty clear and evident he's got the tools to be a potential top pairing defenceman, and a damn good one. However, I believe it's going to come down to coaching, experience and maturity. At his young age he is still quite raw and he needs that coach that can work with him and help him learn; I think Huddy is a great coach and person for that role for Zach.

Just another guys opinion. And the same could be said for any of our young guys in the NHL today, whether it be Kane or Burmistrov as well. Even Little, who turns 24 in November and has 4 years under his belt is still in the midst of putting it all together and figuring it out. It takes time and patience, but if the tools are there, and they're coachable, they've got a good chance.

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-21-2011 at 07:46 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:45 AM
CanuckistanFlyerfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweech View Post
I would now like to take this moment to point all those homer couch "scouts" who moaned about the mistake we made by taking Scheifele over Couturier to the door.

Sure it's only been a few meaningless pre-season/young stars games, but the Philly fans haven't liked what they've seen in Couts and I aqm loving what I see in Scheifele.
A goal and an assist, 2nd star and our best player (Bobrovsky was #1) last night in a rout over the Leafs.

Here's hoping they both go back to junior, I don't think either is truly NHL ready. Both would look good on our WJ team, and Scheifele is badly needed on my Colts!

Oh, and welcome back to the NHL!!!

CanuckistanFlyerfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:17 AM
Gump Hasek
Spleen Merchant

vCash: 1200
What a fantastic night that was, all around.

Monster hangover now though.

#winning

Gump Hasek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Guerzy
Good Canadian Lad

vCash: 69
Honestly, we could talk about this game and night forever, but to sum it up in a few words I think this will go down as a night and game always remembered. And, that's not just because it was the "first home game", it's because of how the game was played and the events that took place throughout the game. Had we of played like the Jets on the road last night, truthfully it wouldn't have been as memorable, I don't think.

This game will be remembered by us Jets fans forever. For a pre-season game with half of our roster (give or take) vs. Columbus, that game gave me (as a fan watching at home) all of the emotions and feelings of a playoff game in April, May or June. It was special. And this is coming from someone who didn't think this game would be very special or memorable - I honestly thought that game would come on October 9th, but it came early to my surprise. It's fair to say October 9th vs. Montreal will be even better - you can bet on that.

Everything about last night was perfect. The adrenaline and emotions that kicked in for me as a fan prior to puck drop as the team was coming on the ice and the MTS was going crazy, to Byfuglien's huge hit seconds in which set the tone for the entire game, to the fights just moments after puckdrop, to Scheifele's 4 point night, to all those who had strong performances - and there were many of them, to the entire team saluting the great fans on Winnipeg at center ice, to Claude Noel's enjoyable press conference after the game... wow, what a night it was.

Last edited by Guerzy: 09-21-2011 at 08:29 AM.
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:21 AM
Kinjero
Friends... for-ev-er

Quote:
haha, i almost forgot about those things.. they were pretty low class..

Kinjero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:28 AM
bigplay41*
BIG MEECH

Send a message via AIM to bigplay41*
i do agree with the OP about our scoreboard we need a bigger NHL calibre one

bigplay41* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:38 AM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Why not just have fans piss on the outside of the building instead?

They will obviously need to build more washrooms at some point in the future. Where they'll put them isn't my problem.
The hobos will complain if people go and piss in their territory. Not to mention the City Councillors asking for spare change, etc....

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:44 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigplay41 View Post
i do agree with the OP about our scoreboard we need a bigger NHL calibre one
Meh, I'd put that on the nice-to-have list rather than the must-have.

The other side of the coin is at most other arenas the majority of seats are further from the scoreboard, so relatively our screen is not as small as it seems. You can't get that far from the ice or board in MTSC, so I'm fine with what we've got.

I heard that there was LOTS held back from the game day experience last night that TNSE is saving for Oct. 9 (on 1290 this AM), can't wait for that! That night we'll see what the whole experience will be like (and likely the scoreboard arguement will melt away just like every other tempest in a teapot).

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:46 AM
Chief Ten Bears*
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinjero View Post
haha, i almost forgot about those things.. they were pretty low class..

Troughs are a simple solution to a simple problem. You'd need 100 urinals to squeeze in as many guys as you could with a trough. I don't think most guys care if its a pail... The sooner you can get in and out, the better.

Privacy?! One can turn around if they are embarrassed.

Chief Ten Bears* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:49 AM
Yukon Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
I heard that there was LOTS held back from the game day experience last night that TNSE is saving for Oct. 9 (on 1290 this AM), can't wait for that! That night we'll see what the whole experience will be like (and likely the scoreboard arguement will melt away just like every other tempest in a teapot).
Makes sense. This was a split-team pre-season game that was only televised regionally. October 9th is the full time, regular season, on Thanksgiving Sunday on HNIC. You don't want to give all your tricks away before then...

Yukon Joe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:54 AM
broinwhyteridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Ten Bears View Post
Privacy?! One can turn around if they are embarrassed.
Wouldn't you be pissing on the dude in line behind you then?

broinwhyteridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
SportsCentre had a good minute or two on the Jets first thing this morning. Showed most of our goals and showed Kane's goal from Wheeler in the other game (it was a beauty). And then showed the rest of the NHL games in about 2 more minutes.

Feels good, man. Can't wait for Saturday. Gonna try to get the girlfriend to watch.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:04 AM
DarthMonty
Makin' saves

As someone else pointed out, the first star of the game was the crowd. I got chills listening to the fans when the Jets came out for the pre-game skate. It was surreal.

If that's the noise level for a split-squad pre-season game, what's it going to be like on October 9th? What's it going to be like if the Jets actually host a playoff game?

Although it was only a pre-season game against a weak opponent's B team, there were several players who stood out.

Defence:

Bogosian - what a skater! There's a potential 40+ points on the season. He needs to make some better decisions without the puck, but overall was a B+ last night.

Festerling - Who knew? He's a possible keepr for sure. May earn the 7th position if his play continues at this level.

Byfuglien - I can't add anything; he is a presence, and it's noticible as soon as he hits the ice for his shift. And now he's the crowd favourite. A++

Postma - he looked lost in his own zone at times, and clearly needs to learn better defensive positioning, but he looked like an NHLer on the PP, and seems to know exactly what shot to select from the point.

Stuart, Kulda - Not a lot of mistakes, but nothing outstanding either; Stuart could stay up based on last night, and Kulda will be a number 1 or 2 pairing in St. John's for sure.

Overall defence? B+, and it could've been more, but for some scrambley play in their own end in the 2nd and 3rd periods.

Forwards:

Scheifele - I didn't realise just how good his hands are, and I was thrilled to see the effort in his own zone, as well as his willingness to lay out a hit. He made a few questionable passes, and lett a few get away from him, but overall he's a stud. Send him back after his nine games, and next season watch him take the team on his back some nights.

Burmistrov - Wow. Good with and without the puck, and I had no idea how strong he is. Showed some deft moves with the puck, and his anticipation os the puck was excellent. On at least two rushes he made the Blue Jacket D look like pylons, and made a couple of face-off wins look like he was alone in the circle. A+

Maxwell - Holy Cow! If he continues to play like that, he is going to make the big club, guaranteed. Willing to mix it up, solid in his own zone, made some great decisions with and without the puck, and is far quicker than I realized. He's a digger, and demonstrated "pesty" attributes. A+

Gregoire - needs some seasoning in the A this year, but looks like he'll make the big club in the near future. Solid in both ends and the neutral zone, made mostly good decisions, and is actually a faster skater than he first looks. Didn't look out of place.

Ladd - didn't get as many touches on the puck as I would have hoped, but he doesn't make mistakes, and is clearly the leader of the team. Good skater, and decent hands, too.

Pesonen, Wiebe and Clark - all small, none stood out (other than Clark's goal with the tap out of mid-air, Sick!), solid AHL players, one or two may eventually earn bottom six spots.

Telegin, Antropov and Cormier - not going to make the big club playing like they did last night. Antropov, though, much like in Toronto, is a slow starter, and seemed to improve as the game went on. I get frustrated with him, though. He's a big heavy guy, with a long reach, and shouldn't be so easy to knock off the puck. Telegin had a few good moments, but looked lazy and at times confused. Cormier was just a dissapointment overall - I was expecting a whole lot more from this guy.

Bodie - AHL enforcer at best.

Overall forwards? Let's give them a solid B. Could be more, but a lot of missed passes, and some uneven neutral zone play brings the mark down.

Goaltending:

Pavelec - calm, cool and collected, but he should be, with the Jets clearing the zone and keeping the lanes clear in front. He is only going to get better. Solid game, and he will earn the bulk of the work. A+

Aebischer - Good back-up, and didn't look too bad for a goalie who hasn't played NHL level hockey for 4 years. Worth keeping around for a while, at least, if for no other reason than to fight with Mason for a spot. B+ for a solid effort.

Goaltending? They earned an A.

Some thoughts on the game:

The Jets looked like the Moose from last year - aggressive PK, hard on the puck in the neutral zone, a constant motion PP (I hate static PP's, blechh), forwards coming back to help out the D, defensemen pinching and carrying the puck deep into the offensive zone, overall a treat to watch.

And I have to adnit that when the game was over and the Jets saluted the crowd that I cried a little.

DarthMonty is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:06 AM
Hank Chinaski

Post-game thoughts:

Scheifele - Wow. Not sure what else can be said, other than he's going to make it real hard on the Jets staff to send him back to Barrie playing like that. He anticipates the game so tremendously, and for an 18 year old, he doesn't look out of place whatsoever from a physical standpoint. Personally? I think he's got to be looked at for a 9 game trial at the very least. Because unlike so many kids that age, I don't see him being a defensive liability.

Bogosian - I see what Thrashers fans are talking about. Made some bad mental errors, like that brutal pinch in the 2nd that just about led to a breakaway goal. But man oh man, what a breathtaking skater.

Antropov - Looked sluggish and uninspired, lots of pucks bouncing off his stick.

Ladd - A couple of turnovers, but a pretty good performance from him. And what a beautiful snipe on the 6th goal.

Byfuglien - Steamrolling Calvert and Kubalik and getting into a scrap on the very first NHL shift in Winnipeg? Wow. Love how he skates, and made some beautiful plays down low. Freelances alot though, and I think the Jets staff is going to have to inject a bit more discipline in his game.

Pesonen - Got fans revved up on his shift at the end of the 1st, spinning a check and then plowing Russell (I think?) moments later. Average skater, but hustles and battles well defensively. Darkhorse to make this team.

Pavelec - Big and quick. Moves well laterally and did a good job swallowing up rebounds last night.

Postma - Pretty mobile and calm with the puck on his stick.

Stuart - Quiet, steady game. Didn't notice him too much, other than on that marginal holding call.

Burmistrov - Slick. A couple of beautiful dangles, and had the Jackets D scrambling down low a couple of times.

In the end, hard to make any grand predictions given how watered down both teams (especially Springfield...er...Columbus) were. But what a thrill it was to experience that, NHL hockey back in ****ing Winnipeg!

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:06 AM
PaperRockChamp

My beer was 6.75 but I believe they offered Jumbos for 8.25?.

I was hungry and looked at the "menu"...$7.25 for a cheeseburger.. nice! Thankfully 4play bar had a tailgate party and some big dude grabbed us and told us to help ourselves to a pulled pork on a bun.

Highlights of the night: Talking to absolutely everybody you pass by before the game (excitement, jubilation), singing the anthem, realizing that the return of the Jets is real, shedding tears and getting a hug from some girl from Hamilton standing behind me, seeing Dancing Gabe, meeting the people in our section (great people), watching Scheifele's magic, Byfuglien destroying everything in his path, Chanting "Scheifele,Scheifele", the 3 stars, and the loudest part of the night was when the Jets saluted the fans.. The noise went to a whole new level at that point. Another fun part was standing on Portage and having all the cars that drove by laying on their horns yelling Go Jets Go... Madhouse

I do agree that the "Go Jets Go" chant was faster than it should've been... I could only scream it every second chant!

PaperRockChamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:12 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

I have only one question for everyone?

When can we start planing the parade????????

Old
09-21-2011, 09:12 AM
OthmarAmmann
Omnishambles

I didn't say it's perfect, but it is a solution. I sat in the upper deck for a pre-WJHC friendly in December 2004 (Canada vs Finland?), and the line for the can was ridiculous.

There's always the stall for the squeamish. Nobody's pointing guns at heads forcing guys up to the trough.

OthmarAmmann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:14 AM
Mungman
It's you not me.

I've seen a few comments now expressing disappointment with Ladd. I don't have the numbers, but I don't think he had that much ice time. He didn't have a chance to get in a groove.

Really this game wasn't one where the coaches wanted to see what he could do, it was about seeing the prospects. Any other year he probably wouldn't even dress for this game, but this year is different. Wait for the next home pre-season game, it'll be getting closer to the real roster and the vets will be really shaking off the rust for Oct 9. This time is really for the guys like Schiefele to show the goods.

Mungman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:15 AM
Prot

I'm still hoarse from the game....

I have nothing but positive vibes from the experience. It was good to see younger guys getting into it, even if they were a little quick with the tempo on "Go jets go".

My biggest wake up though was... how small the tunnels are surrounding the arena. The Winnipeg Arena had the luxury of space when building where they were..... I never even thought this would be an issue, but aside from Moose games, I haven't seen the arena this full.

I'm sure this happens elsewhere but it was soooo cramped!

What a great experience though. It sure was a lot funner than the last Jets game I was at!

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:16 AM
King Woodballs
**** HFJets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I'm still hoarse from the game....

I have nothing but positive vibes from the experience. It was good to see younger guys getting into it, even if they were a little quick with the tempo on "Go jets go".

My biggest wake up though was... how small the tunnels are surrounding the arena. The Winnipeg Arena had the luxury of space when building where they were..... I never even thought this would be an issue, but aside from Moose games, I haven't seen the arena this full.

I'm sure this happens elsewhere but it was soooo cramped!

What a great experience though. It sure was a lot funner than the last Jets game I was at!
If you are talking about the MTS Centre, that is incorrect
They had limited space to build it on the Eatons plot of land