HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Habs lose 6-3 to the Dallas Stars

Old
09-21-2011, 07:00 AM
HabsFanFromOntario

vCash: 500
Who's pumped to see Gallagher!!

HabsFanFromOntario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:33 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HabsFanFromOntario View Post
Who's pumped to see Gallagher!!
I am I am!

Going to the game tonight. Hopefully I'm close enough to see him (I hear he's quite small)

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:59 AM
EveryDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by IWalkThroughWalls View Post
DD replacing the injured Gomez... I like what Martin is doing here.

Dumont is also in good company there on the 3rd line. Interesting.

Its just my combination for tonight

and no im not JM

EveryDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:07 AM
Aspirine
Lateral Move at Best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Powders View Post
I disagree with Whitesnake on Diaz having the edge over Emelin tonight. They both showed good play on the 3 zones tonight, IMO it's equal. Its first game for them both but I think Diaz needs a year or 2 in the A before jumping pro. I'm still sold on him beeing a surefire NHL'er.

Emelin showed me some glimpse of his already Pro-Career in his KHL. You see he's still learning from the defensive shell man to man defense that JM prones. Its gonna get to him I have no doubt but he's more complete than Diaz ATM. Diaz looks like Weber #2. Doesnt shy away from contact too, quick first steps and good puck poise.

I think we have 2 good top 4 defenseman in those 2 guys
Lol Diaz has been pro for 7 years already! I thought he was pretty promising, give him ten games or so, he's gonna start racking up the points. He kept on shooting and shooting again and shooting more yesterday! Loved to see that.

Aspirine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:14 AM
neofury*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwight View Post
A bit late to the party, but I was at the game last night after having been downtown (for school all day). I got home and passed out, lol.

Here's what I remember.

Cammalleri, Plekanec: Wasn't really paying attention to them as much. They have nothing to prove.
Cole: Best player all night. He was quick, he had a good shot, and he went to the net on the PP.
AK46: Pretty good for him. Obviously had a nice goal, and a couple nice runs with the puck, but other than that not much I remember.
Palushaj: Ugh, worst player of the night. The puck would always escape him and he made poor decisions. It just wasn't his night, I suppose, because we know he's better than this.
Willsie: Was he there? Didn't notice him.
Trotter: Mr. Francypants right here. Loved the moves, but all style and no substance. He's fast as Hell though.
Engqvist: I liked him. If he makes the team, it'll be on his defensive merits. Very responsible in his own end and he loves to block shots (something I noticed last season also)
Blunden: I saw what you guys saw. It's hard to pinpoint, but brother was everywhere tonight. Got a nice scoring chance, laid the body, and was generally disruptive to Dallas players. Solid 12th-13th guy if White's injury is serious.
Masse: ECHL, I suppose
Berger: Didn't play much, and got hit pretty badly in the 3rd - that's all I remember of him.
Schultz: Won't make the Habs, but I liked his work tonight. He was looking for a fight all game. he challenged a couple guys at the faceoff (they declined), then he finally got to go with Wathier and held his own. Then Wathier hit Berger, and Schultz was trying to get him to go again with no success. Solid performance from Schultz - came as marketed.

Yemelin: Happy with him. Was strong with the puck and he was playing chippy all game. Nice hit, but I think it was somewhat unintentional...lol
Diaz: Not bad, but not great. Maybe you guys saw something I didn't. He was very average.
Woywitka: Rough start for him, but he picked it up in the 2nd period and it led to a goal. Might hang around as defenseman #8
Gill: Aside from the giveaway for goal #4, I didn't see much wrong with Gill
Weber: Weber, however, was not himself tonight. If he plays like this more, I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't make opening day roster.
Tinordi: Didn't notice him too often. Made one solid hit, and other than that he was invisible to me. In a way, I suppose that's a good thing considering the type of game he plays. Still would like to see a bit more, but he played a safe game.

Price: Chill out! First goal was off Woywitka, 2nd was off Weber(or Diaz?), and 3rd he was interfered with by his own guy. Even then, we all know what happened in his first game last year, so hopefully nobody's freaking out over one bad game.
Lawson: Solid AHLer. Some nice saves, and not afraid to give Morrow a little chop, which the crowd liked.

That's all I've got. Hope it helps.
I've got to ask, did you drink a ton at the game?

Cause honestly I felt Weber was playing some of the best hockey we've seen him play. He made mistakes but he really seemed to turn up the juice. Diaz wasn't NHL caliber but impressive for a random signing non-draft type guy. Clearly will be a top pairing in Hamilton this year imo. As per Gill he was awful but I really don't mind, it was a pre-season game. That being said though Tinordi was awful for most of the game. I don't know how you could've missed him what with all the mistakes but that isn't saying much, the kid is a 19 year old junior.

PS: I agree with Whitesnake that in this game specifically Diaz was better than Yemelin. That being said I still see Yemelin as a potential top 4 D man, I just think now Diaz has pretty much confirmed what I had thought all along, that if management went after him it was likely for a solid reason. He looked like the kind of player who could make the jump due to injuries and stay up imo.

Interested to see Just_Thoughts post on this game

neofury* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:15 AM
x74Pacioretty74x

Where is today's GDT!?!??!

x74Pacioretty74x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:29 AM
Dwight
The French Tickler

Quote:
Originally Posted by neofury View Post
I've got to ask, did you drink a ton at the game?

Cause honestly I felt Weber was playing some of the best hockey we've seen him play. He made mistakes but he really seemed to turn up the juice. Diaz wasn't NHL caliber but impressive for a random signing non-draft type guy. Clearly will be a top pairing in Hamilton this year imo. As per Gill he was awful but I really don't mind, it was a pre-season game. That being said though Tinordi was awful for most of the game. I don't know how you could've missed him what with all the mistakes but that isn't saying much, the kid is a 19 year old junior.

PS: I agree with Whitesnake that in this game specifically Diaz was better than Yemelin. That being said I still see Yemelin as a potential top 4 D man, I just think now Diaz has pretty much confirmed what I had thought all along, that if management went after him it was likely for a solid reason. He looked like the kind of player who could make the jump due to injuries and stay up imo.

Interested to see Just_Thoughts post on this game
Haha well, my memory may not be perfect

I wasn't really paying close attention to the game. I went with a friend and we were not following each player closely. I guess I really wasn't paying attention to JT and Hal, and maybe I'm getting Weber confused with someone else because whenever I saw him, he made a mistake.

Going back to Diaz, I agree that he was decent. Had some good shots on goal, but he looks very small out there. Hope we'll see more from him as he gets accustomed to NHL ice.

None of the defensemen last night stood out to me as "the best".

Dwight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:31 AM
PricePkPatch

Pfff... Subban was so bad, he was invisible last night...

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:40 AM
voiceofytown

So how many cuts can we exspect after tonight?? or do they wait until the weekend.

voiceofytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:41 AM
LePoche69

Emelin took me completly off guard (so to speak). He was way bettre with the puck that I thought he would be, and he was a lot more passive in his own zone that I thought he would be. But it's just one game.

Weber played tons of minutes last night, against good players most of the time, and while he got beat a few times, I think he showed he belongs to the NHL. The truth is that he will play third pairing minutes during the season, so I think he's ready to be a regular in that regard. I loved the takeaways he did against Morrow at one point, showing surprising strength behind the net.

It's just one game, but I think Diaz needs seasoning in the AHL.

It is a subjective I guess, but I fail to see what Engquist (sp?) brings to the game beside interesting positionning. Not physical, no offense, not winning draws, average defensively...

Blunden, on the other hand, was surprising. More speed that I thought, so his forechecking is more efficient.

Trotter showed falshes, but I still need to see him against 6 regular d-men and in a more tight game.

I agree with M. Brunet from Lapresse on Palushaj: lots of wind, very few result. I would have prefer to have a 20 goals scorer in D'Agostini.

LePoche69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:19 AM
BigHab*

As for team rookies -
Impressive: Yemelin, Diaz, Blunden, Trotter
Will be Cut Soon: Masse, Willsie, Berger, Lawson and Palushaj (depends upon how he responds in the next game)

Vets: Kostitsyn, Cole played very well for a first game

BigHab* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:20 AM
24stanleycups*
24-6=18,goodluck lol

Last nights game has gotten me excited for a lot of players. In particular, Erik Cole, Andrei Kostitsyn, Alexei Yemelin, Yannick Weber, and in the future, Jared Tinordi.

Cole beat the goalie twice (just not the crossbar) is even faster than I realized.

Kostitsyn seems very, very motivated, and I don't think I've ever really appreciated just how incredible he skates and dekes.

Alexei Yemelin was unreal. He was already making his physical presence known with a few big hits, but what really shocked me was just how good a player he is. I know it's just pre-season but still. There is no doubt in my mind that he's on the big club. No doubt. my opinion of just how much the canadiens have improved this offseason has gone from optimist to extremely confident.

Yannick Weber. Same story. He has seemed to improve overnight. Some people were talking about using him a forward, which he's been able to do quite nicely, but man is he ever quick. Makes good decisions with the puck too.

I now see the hype that Craig Button created around Jared Tinordi. He's the american chara. Nothing but.

Very very excited.

24stanleycups* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:57 AM
Patccmoi

On team 990 now, Desharnais-Gionta-MaxPac line, interesting... that will be small!

They have Gallagher with basically no offensive support on his line (Moen and Enqvist I think?), they should give him a chance and just put Desharnais-Gionta-Gallagher together for a few shifts, you know you want to see it...

Patccmoi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Sebaldian

Gionta-Desharnais-Pacioretty
Darche-Dumont-Avtsin
Gallagher-Engqvist-Moen
Palushaj-Bishop-DeSimone

http://twitter.com/#!/CanadiensMTL/s...25916280201216

Sebaldian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:20 AM
old scotia

Ian Schultz

I thought he had a good game. I haven't seen any hab players in recent years that can throw them like he can. What are your thoughts?

old scotia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Joe Cole

My 2 cents...

Defense:

Diaz, looked ok.Decent first game in the NHL. He looked over matched more than once, but has good speed to fix his nervous mistakes. He did hit the net with a shot though, good sign. Need small ice experience.

Weber, was never convinced of this guy, but he played a good game. Steady and relaxed. Missed the net on every shot attempt.

Yemelin, was out of position a few times, but had the skill, speed and aggressiveness to be a player. I am happy he did not suck.

Woywitka, best Habs D on the ice last night. Decent in his end, physical enough, good in the offensive zone. Looks like a NHL'r.

Tinordi, needs more seasoning. I give him a pass, and send him to the OHL.

Gill, played like a vetern without his partner. Not his best game.

Forwards of note:

Cam/Plek/Cole - looks good. Sharp short passes. Nose for the net.
AK- great game. No matter what any fool at RDS says.
Palushaj- ok, looks like AHL to me.
Masse, Willsie, Berger - AHL
Blunden - size, speed, not much else.
Trotter - looked like Schremp, all sizzle, no steak
Engvist- just a shadow

Overall, I think that Woywitka was the only surpirse. He impressed me, he looked as good as Hamrlik.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Dagistitsyn

Quote:
Originally Posted by 24stanleycups View Post

I now see the hype that Craig Button created around Jared Tinordi. He's the american chara. Nothing but.
I don't see it. Tinordi is smaller than Ryan O'Byrne, and Chara has a cannon of a shot..Tinordi hasn't shown anything close to that so far. He is getting over rated big time.

And how are people saying Woywitka was good last night? Did nobody else see how terrible he was on the first couple goals? He was falling into his own net, took the wrong guy twice.. if you take away his one shot that went in (thanks to the work of AK and everyone else) he was brutal.

Dagistitsyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:24 AM
Peace

Hey RDS has Demers holding the 1993 Stanley Cup, prepare the parade

Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
bcv
My french sucks.

The thing that popped out for me yesterday was, can the habs win a single face-off? It's ridiculous. The entire team was probably like at 30% yesterday, they REALLY need to start working on that.

And lol @ the guy saying Woywitka was as good as Hamrlik.

bcv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Hannibal
Brandon Prust FTW

Quote:
Originally Posted by old scotia View Post
I thought he had a good game. I haven't seen any hab players in recent years that can throw them like he can. What are your thoughts?
Yeah, i liked him too! He's way faster than last year also!

Hannibal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
My 2 cents...

Defense:

Diaz, looked ok.Decent first game in the NHL. He looked over matched more than once, but has good speed to fix his nervous mistakes. He did hit the net with a shot though, good sign. Need small ice experience.

Weber, was never convinced of this guy, but he played a good game. Steady and relaxed. Missed the net on every shot attempt.

Yemelin, was out of position a few times, but had the skill, speed and aggressiveness to be a player. I am happy he did not suck.

Woywitka, best Habs D on the ice last night. Decent in his end, physical enough, good in the offensive zone. Looks like a NHL'r.

Tinordi, needs more seasoning. I give him a pass, and send him to the OHL.

Gill, played like a vetern without his partner. Not his best game.

Forwards of note:

Cam/Plek/Cole - looks good. Sharp short passes. Nose for the net.
AK- great game. No matter what any fool at RDS says.
Palushaj- ok, looks like AHL to me.
Masse, Willsie, Berger - AHL
Blunden - size, speed, not much else.
Trotter - looked like Schremp, all sizzle, no steak
Engvist- just a shadow

Overall, I think that Woywitka was the only surpirse. He impressed me, he looked as good as Hamrlik.
Woywitka's goal threw people off of his actual value. He was shaky defensively and didn't make good decisions with the puck. The only reason he gets a call-up is if a bunch of other guys are injured.

I see our depth chart as follows:

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Emelin
Weber
Spacek
Diaz
Nash
Woywitka/Henry

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Jmac1160*
Gomez-"Sorry Coach"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jCDCY...eature=related

Jmac1160* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:32 AM
overlords
Be quiet and drive

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcv View Post
The thing that popped out for me yesterday was, can the habs win a single face-off? It's ridiculous. The entire team was probably like at 30% yesterday, they REALLY need to start working on that.

And lol @ the guy saying Woywitka was as good as Hamrlik.
Did you see how often pleks got kicked out of the faceoff circle? It's ridiculous. The refs hate him

overlords is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stjonnypopo View Post
Woywitka's goal threw people off of his actual value. He was shaky defensively and didn't make good decisions with the puck. The only reason he gets a call-up is if a bunch of other guys are injured.

I see our depth chart as follows:

Markov
Subban
Gorges
Gill
Emelin
Weber
Spacek
Diaz
Nash
Woywitka/Henry
I know that is the common thinking but... I don't agree. Goal or not, he looks like a NHL'r. As for decision making, he wasn't Lidstrom out there, but he was better than Diaz, and proably Yemelin in that department.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:35 AM
Bill McNeal

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Did you see how often pleks got kicked out of the faceoff circle? It's ridiculous. The refs hate him
Habs should go back to their playoff tactics.

Put Cammalleri in the faceoff circle, have him blatantly cheat and get kicked out. Watch as linesmen are too scared to kick a second guy out and Pleks cheats to his little heart's desire.

Bill McNeal is offline   Reply With Quote