Wednesday, September 21 Jets Papers

Old
09-21-2011, 07:27 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

vCash: 500

Winnipeg Free Press: Jets, fans celebrate rebirth. To hear Jets captain Andrew Ladd say it was as loud in Winnipeg last night as it was during the Stanley Cup Finals (between Carolina and Edmonton) is an indication as to what opposing teams can expect all season long.

Winnipeg Sun: Scheifele turns heads in Jets’ NHL debut. The kid was causing a buzz in the stands and in the press box, but he wasn’t exactly facing top notch NHL talent just yet. We don’t want to be seen as raining on the parade because we think this kid is going to be a star in the future for the Jets, but there isn’t much point to putting too much on his shoulders too soon.

Winnipeg Free Press: Scheifele making magic. The home crowd would have been pleased with him skating around the ice, but the fact that he scored twice and added 2 assists had them cheering him all night long.

Winnipeg Sun: Blue Jackets turn tables on Jets in Ohio. Not to be forgotten in all the revelry is the fact that the Jets did technically go 1 and 1 on Tuesday, as the other squad failed to beat the Jackets in Columbus.

Winnipeg Free Press: Split-squad affair a tale of two cities. Read this so years from now if you want to know the answer to the inevitable Jets 1st exhibition trivia question, you will.

Winnipeg Sun: Biggest Jets home exhibition debut since 1986. It was a night of firsts in what is expected to be a season of many firsts.

Winnipeg Sun: Big night for Bogosian brothers. IC’s Ezra Ginsburg had post game interview with the Blue Jackets Aaron Bogosian and it turns out their dad came to watch his sons play in tonight’s game, as it was the first time they faced each other at the NHL level.

Winnipeg Sun: One big Jets love-in. As Andrew Ladd said in the post game scrum, is anyone worried about Buff’s weight now?

Globe and Mail: Winnipeg Jets achieve liftoff. It was a night like no other in Winnipeg for as far back as I can remember. As Roy said, it was a meaningless game that held so much meaning.

Discover Moose Jaw: Warriors McFaull still with Jets. With cuts starting today, you can bet a lot of the younger players will be heading back to their Junior teams.

Winnipeg Sun: Jets soar to first win. The legend of the Jets 1st round pick is already being sung and I’m sure that none are happier (aside from his family) than his coach and legendary Winnipeg Jet Dale Hawerchuk.

CBC: Jets hockey returns to Winnipeg after 15-year separation. The separation anxiety is finally over and you could almost sense that fans didn’t truly believe that they were finally cheering for ‘their own’ NHL team.

Winnipeg Sun: Thrilled Jets fans pack arena. And they chanted ‘Go Jets Go’ from before the game started, and continued to chant that until well after the game ended.

Detroit Free Press: NHL wants realignment figured out by December. Oh ya, I guess it is time to move Winnipeg into the West, but good luck figuring out which of the 3 teams speculated to be moving (Nashville, Columbus and Detroit), are actually going to head on East.

ICdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:47 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by WpgMikos View Post
Winnipeg Sun: Blue Jackets turn tables on Jets in Ohio. Not to be forgotten in all the revelry is the fact that the Jets did technically go 1 and 1 on Tuesday, as the other squad failed to beat the Jackets in Columbus.

Winnipeg Free Press: Split-squad affair a tale of two cities. Read this so years from now if you want to know the answer to the inevitable Jets 1st exhibition trivia question, you will.
I personally choose to look at it (in hindsight) as one big two hour game that we won 7-6. That work for anyone else??

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:02 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
I personally choose to look at it (in hindsight) as one big two hour game that we won 7-6. That work for anyone else??
I am sold!

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:11 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Does anyone know where we may be able to see some good pictures from last nights game? I'd love to make one into my avatar with these new uniforms.

"The ‘now’ is very good in Chicago. The ‘now’ back in the days when they were drafting first, second and third? It wasn’t very good. But the core of fans that stuck with them, if you asked them now, I betcha they’d say it was worth it.” - Kevin Cheveldayoff
Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:16 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Does anyone know where we may be able to see some good pictures from last nights game? I'd love to make one into my avatar with these new uniforms.
Try these

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/mul...130246558.html

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:30 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mungman View Post
Thank you, Mungman!

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:43 AM
ChocolateLeclaire

Does anyone have any video online of the Big Buff's very first shift, where he rocked the two people and then got into a fight then hammed it up. I want that video SO BAD.

ChocolateLeclaire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:51 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
I have 300 pictures on my camera.
I will be downloading them and sorting through them later.
I can post them somewhere on this board for anyone to watch if you so choose.

King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocolateLeclaire View Post
Does anyone have any video online of the Big Buff's very first shift, where he rocked the two people and then got into a fight then hammed it up. I want that video SO BAD.
Later tonight I'll be putting all the highlights on my youtube channel. I'll throw them up here when I'm done. Buff's first shift will definitely be in there.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:32 AM
vivianmb

watched it on TV what a first game! i know it doesn't mean spit in the grand scheme of things, but man was it cool to watch!!!

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:33 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Guys I will be posting a pictorial summation of last night's game from up top in the Press Box around 11 am.

I still can't believe that the Jets played at home last night against a franchise that didn't exist when they left in 96'.

It was a special night to be inside the MTS Centre and a special night to be a fan of NHL hockey in the city of Winnipeg.

I'm looking forward to meeting you guys (in person) as the season progresses!!

Here is Rich's take on the lead-up to the drop of the puck:

The clock strikes 6:15 p.m. in Downtown Winnipeg; the feeling of anticipation is akin to that of a team’s first playoff game in ten years (maybe forever). Winnipeg has been without the top level of professional hockey since the doors closed at the Winnipeg Arena in late April, 1996.

Some said the city would never be the same without the Jets, few ever said what the city would be like if the Jets suddenly reappeared.

Maybe the Jets needed to leave for the city to realize its capabilities, for the businesses to flourish in its absence, or maybe most importantly, for the public to realize, we as a collective group, could fare without NHL hockey.

Sure we could “survive”, quite well in fact, but we always believed we could fare even better with the NHL returning to this great city.

The above paragraphs, or any words for that matter, do little justice to the feeling of excitement that took place in the MTS Centre last night. So, here is a brief chronicle of the excitement from the moment the doors opened, to the moment the players came out for the pre-game skate. See, if we chronicled the time from the pre-game skate to the puck drop, we at Illegal Curve would not be able to take that feeling in without distraction. It is during those moments that no distractions apply. No cell phones. No Twitter. No Facebook. Just us. The fans of the Jets; the people of Winnipeg uniting for a common cause.

Does it get any better than this?

More after the jump.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Looking back at 1st Jets Exhibition game – pictorial summation

As Richard just wrote about in his lead up to the game, the atmosphere at the MTS Centre last night as the hometown fans watched their Jets beat the Blue Jackets 6-1 was without compare. I’ve been to Stanley Cup Final games, I’ve been to Grey Cups but last night was just an entirely different sort of experience. For those who missed it, or want to re-live the memory of the Jets game that was, here are some pictures from last night.

All the pics after the jump.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
bazaaa*

I was hoping to hear more reactions from players about the crowd, only seen Scheifele and Ladd's quotes.

bazaaa* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:01 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazaaa View Post
I was hoping to hear more reactions from players about the crowd, only seen Scheifele and Ladd's quotes.
I had a chance to talk 1 on 1 with Winnipeg's Kevin Clark following the game and I can tell you he was quite excited to have scored in front of the home town crowd. Ez was in the Blue Jackets room and spoke with Zach Bogosian's younger brother Aaron and Jackets coach Scott Arniel.

Last edited by ICdave: 09-21-2011 at 12:42 PM.
Old
09-21-2011, 02:53 PM
ICdave
HFB Partner

Winnipeg Jets Afternoon News

Winnipeg Jets Afternoon News

Winnipeg Free Press: Jets buzzing after opening night. As high as the fans got after yesterday's game, it is always nice to hear that the players are experiencing similar emotions, the day after one of the significant games that won't ever factor into the NHL standings.

Winnipeg Free Press: Blue Rodeo to play at Jets social. I like the name of the party but it’s a shame they have to do it indoors.

CBC: Go Jets Go. Some sounds from the game and talk with the fans.

the Score: Times they are a changin’. It appears that the NHL has set a December 2011 deadline to have the realignment process completed by. What do readers think would be best? Geographic rivals? Time zone divisions?

sjicecaps.com: IceCaps jerseys to be revealed tomorrow. It looks like our friends on the East coast will finally get to enjoy the revealing of their team’s new jersey.

Last edited by ICdave: 09-21-2011 at 04:16 PM.