HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Washington Capitals
Notices

PSG1: Predators vs. Capitals. 7PM. First Mariner Arena. Bawlmer. 9.20.2011.

Old
09-20-2011, 09:48 PM
strungout
Professional Killer

vCash: 500

strungout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 09:56 PM
BPMrules

I went to the game, it was fun to see a hockey game in Bmore again, since it's been years. A few notes...

- the ice looked pretty gnarly, there were several points in the game where i thought someone would get hurt, cause someone would take a bit of a spill.
- green/alzner pairing as well as the defense as a whole seemed pretty uncomfortable.
- wellar seemed to have schultz-like speed, and got burned at least 5 or 6 times.
- neuvy played solid, as expected.
- i was impressed with the way that eakin and galiev played, on and off the puck, decent chemistry, as well as the effort level. bourque was on their line, adn half the time i didnt even notice.
- semin tried to be too cute at times, but seemed to kind of care about playing
- ovie tried to do too much, esp during the 3rd.
- tfs was equally unimpressive for the preds as he was for us.

- the crowd was pretty tame during the game, really, until the last half of the 3rd.
- lots of people left before the game was over, i guess to beat traffic, or because they realized the game was over
- they announced it was a sellout though, which was cool.
- definitely the warmest rink i've ever seen a hockey game in, regardless of the season or level of play.

regardless, still a fun night, and good to see hockey in our beat up old arena.

BPMrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:04 PM
BrooklynCapsFan
Waiting on the Isles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbag59 View Post
For what it's worth Sloan said the ice was absolutely terrible.
That especially sucks for Sloan. Dude's trying hard to make the Preds and the ice totally neutralized his best asset -his olympic caliber skating.

BrooklynCapsFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:19 PM
caps4cup
Dynasty

Johansson with ovechkin again...

caps4cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 10:37 PM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

vCash: 50
Galiev loked tentative. McNeill got beat a lot in the corners. Neuvirth was solid but unspectacular, as usual. Johansson and Ovechkin looked good together, but Knuble looked out of sorts on the line. Laich played well but I don't know if he fit quite right with Backstrom and Semin. Backstrom looked a bit out of sorts as if he wasn't quite looking for everything he would normally be looking for. Ovechkin tried too hard to do it alone. Eakin looked uneasy, but not tentative. He lost a couple battles but nothing terrible. Carrier wasn't noticeable, which could be good or bad, depending on your perspective.

ChibiPooky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:33 PM
bishop12
Ovyously

Ovy played and they were blanked? Yikes

bishop12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-20-2011, 11:55 PM
Atlas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hey Matty B View Post
Earlier today, Dchesnokov retweeted this image from the rink:

If the ice is so bad as to be a concern for players' safety, sweet mother of mercy, postpone the game. The Caps can barely even skate on the ice at Verizon Center without injuring their groin; I don't want to imagine what the ice in Baltimore might do to them.

That ice is ridiculous. It's another example of Caps' management caring a lot about marketing and not so much about their players winning a Cup.

A Caps game in Baltimore on bad ice. With Ovechkin, Green, Semin and Alzner playing. Why? To sell more tix in the regular season, that's why.

Selling tix is great. Here's another way to do that: win a couple Stanley Cups.

Atlas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:07 AM
Quasimoto

Send a message via AIM to Quasimoto
rdyyyyyyyyy fo that hockey

Quasimoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:27 AM
Halpysback

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlas View Post
That ice is ridiculous. It's another example of Caps' management caring a lot about marketing and not so much about their players winning a Cup.

A Caps game in Baltimore on bad ice. With Ovechkin, Green, Semin and Alzner playing. Why? To sell more tix in the regular season, that's why.

Selling tix is great. Here's another way to do that: win a couple Stanley Cups.
They already sell all the tix they could ever want to. This is about merchandise

Winning the cup takes changes. Painful structural changes that are not guaranteed to take you all the way on their own. Like tossing the waaark haaardaaar cretin from behind the bench to the nearest comedy club where he belongs.

Much easier to host a preseason game in Baltimore and get a guaranteed merchandise bump from there.

Halpysback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:00 AM
Bobcat88

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChibiPooky View Post
Galiev loked tentative. McNeill got beat a lot in the corners. Neuvirth was solid but unspectacular, as usual. Johansson and Ovechkin looked good together, but Knuble looked out of sorts on the line. Laich played well but I don't know if he fit quite right with Backstrom and Semin. Backstrom looked a bit out of sorts as if he wasn't quite looking for everything he would normally be looking for. Ovechkin tried too hard to do it alone. Eakin looked uneasy, but not tentative. He lost a couple battles but nothing terrible. Carrier wasn't noticeable, which could be good or bad, depending on your perspective.
Wait, what? Wasn't Carrier sent back to Junior earlier this week? Am I crazy, or shouldn't Carrier not be noticeable at all since he's up in Canada?

Bobcat88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:13 AM
ForzaItalia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db0kpM1migA

ForzaItalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:08 AM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by 442 View Post
This comes from where?

this comes from him being dead last during suicides and being cut from camp this morning.

Last edited by hoopla: 09-21-2011 at 09:58 AM.
hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:32 AM
txpd

discontent flows with good volume this morning. one pre season game.

txpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:06 AM
Vladiator16
R.I.P - Loko.

Was at the game last night, my observation: it sucked.
17 was the most noticeable player on the ice.

Vladiator16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:56 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobcat88 View Post
Wait, what? Wasn't Carrier sent back to Junior earlier this week? Am I crazy, or shouldn't Carrier not be noticeable at all since he's up in Canada?
No idea, thought I saw his number. Of course by the time I posted this I was many beers in so... could have been someone else and I just thought "Carrier" for some reason. D.J. King actually looked legit

The power play was abysmal. Except for one little flurry in front of (think it was still Rinne) they couldn't generate a scoring chance, probably due to the fact that they still can't set up in the offensive zone.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:02 AM
Fallschirmyager

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForzaItalia View Post
P by P guys were laughing at that hit. Thanks for posting.

Fallschirmyager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:46 AM
kakemono

Believe it or not, most Preds fans were happy with the hit, too - despite our guy getting rocked. Little 5'9" 179lb Ellis at least wasn't shying away from physical contact... though he was trying to go against a 230lb Russian machine that never breaks.

kakemono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:14 AM
txpd

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
Believe it or not, most Preds fans were happy with the hit, too - despite our guy getting rocked. Little 5'9" 179lb Ellis at least wasn't shying away from physical contact... though he was trying to go against a 230lb Russian machine that never breaks.
ive seen brooks orpik charge across the crease to hit a stationary ovechkin and bounce back into his own goalie. then there was denis gauthier and dion phanuef. your baby panther will learn not to try that again. its not embarrassing to have that happen though

Old
09-21-2011, 10:25 AM
AtlantaWhaler
Thrash/Preds/Sabres

Quote:
Originally Posted by kakemono View Post
Other than being physical, I'm also happy Ellis kept playing and isn't injured. Ovy destroyed him.

AtlantaWhaler is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Mystlyfe
We're Touched

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoopla View Post
this comes from him being dead last during suicides and being cut from camp this morning.

But he didn't slow down in the 3rd period like you said he would. And of course he got cut, his junior season has already started. Nobody suspected him to make the Caps this year, so why keep him away from St. John? Your vendetta against Galiev is becoming laughable.

Mystlyfe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:34 AM
kmart

Send a message via MSN to kmart
pls help me out, as i read the thread i noticed TFS was in the game !! i remember him asking for a trade bevor he got cut, so pls say he played for the predators.

kmart is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:40 AM
txpd

sloan was released and signed as a free agent with nashville. he was in the game on the other team.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:12 AM
ChibiPooky
Caps/Avs/Bills fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmart View Post
pls help me out, as i read the thread i noticed TFS was in the game !! i remember him asking for a trade bevor he got cut, so pls say he played for the predators.
He was on the ice for the Predators; I wouldn't say he played. D.J. King dangled him and looked fast while doing so.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:47 AM
hoopla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mystlyfe View Post

But he didn't slow down in the 3rd period like you said he would. And of course he got cut, his junior season has already started. Nobody suspected him to make the Caps this year, so why keep him away from St. John? Your vendetta against Galiev is becoming laughable.

So why is it that "nobody suspected him to make the Caps this year?"

BB's suicides give a good indication of prospects' leg strength.

Anyway, I expect him to tear it up in the juniors this year, then we'll see what happens.

Last edited by hoopla: 09-21-2011 at 11:58 AM.
hoopla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Liberati0n
Jesus Christ Marie

Isn't Galiev supposed to be a great skater / isn't that supposed to be probably the biggest strength of his game? I also remember reading that he finished near the top in several of the combine tests related to leg strength.

Liberati0n is offline   Reply With Quote