HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Steve Simmons (Toronto Sun): Flyers GM denies rumours about Richards, Carter trades

Old
09-21-2011, 10:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5792
One of the first things I learned about the Flyers is to never believe a word that comes out of their mouths - at least at face value.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:25 AM
VanSciver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
One of the first things I learned about the Flyers is to never believe a word that comes out of their mouths - at least at face value.
It's pretty east to tell the difference in the tone of the statements between spin, and flat out denials. Both the statements by Holmgren and Snider, isn't spin. It's flat out denials.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:26 AM
SnS
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 50
Quote:
I agree with this.

And i'm confused as to why people are still beating the dead horse with this. Just let it pass, we've moved onto the Schenn, Voracek, Simmonds, & Coots era.

Props to Nemesis for the signature and avatar.
SnS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
fact. that was true when Clarke was GM.

GoneFullHextall is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:32 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
It's pretty east to tell the difference in the tone of the statements between spin, and flat out denials. Both the statements by Holmgren and Snider, isn't spin. It's flat out denials.
You're absolutely wrong. This is exactly why they're going to Steve Simmons in Canada, and not the local media, because the Philly media will write it in their story and then call them out on it at the same time.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:44 AM
BernieParent

About the only absolute certainty surrounding this whole mess is that we, the average fans, will never know the truth with any degree of accuracy. Coming in a close second is that the deals were almost definitely (how's that for hedging?) not a reaction to any one factor.

I am still lamenting that Richards and Carter are not key players on the Flyers. However, the players coming the other way have very high projections and the team should continue to be successful on ice, even though they have taken a large step back from Stanley Cup contention this season.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
You're absolutely wrong. This is exactly why they're going to Steve Simmons in Canada, and not the local media, because the Philly media will write it in their story and then call them out on it at the same time.
No, I'm not wrong, I'm right. How do you know who went to who on the story? The local Philly media couldn't possibly call them out on it. They weren't the decision makers. Holmgren and Snider were. They know the reasons for the deals. The Philly media clearly doesn't.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:48 AM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
you hear the leafs crew talking about the Philly media making the garbage up about Carter and Richards? they were talking about the trades and such and the reasons why they were dealt. they brought up the off ice issues, and one of em(forgot which one) said that wasnt the national media, that was the local media.
Even Holmgren knows the local Philly media is garbage.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:04 PM
MsWoof

The Flyers have given the Philly media all kinds of leaks, something ASF talked about. So now they're giving stories to the Cdn media because they don't like how the Philly media will spin things? Sorry Paul and Ed, you made your bed, go lie in it.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:07 PM
GoneFullHextall
adios Holmgren

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
The Flyers have given the Philly media all kinds of leaks, something ASF talked about. So now they're giving stories to the Cdn media because they don't like how the Philly media will spin things? Sorry Paul and Ed, you made your bed, go lie in it.
none of this is the Philly media's fault. the Philly media has never made things up or spun things their own way to sell papers

Old
09-21-2011, 01:05 PM
DumpyD

Holmgren's statement would have meant something three months ago.

The one thing I noticed last night is how nice it is not having Carter on the ice, and also how much it's going to suck not having a forward that brings it every night, even if "it" doesn't include scoring.

DumpyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:09 PM
drownedsailors

I wonder how many more articles are gonna be written about the Richards and Carter trade...

wait don't answer that.

Last edited by drownedsailors: 09-21-2011 at 01:19 PM.
drownedsailors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:11 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by drownedsailors View Post
I wonder how many more articles are gonna be written about the Richards and Carter trade...

wait don't answer that.
Harold Camping will determine that...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Jester

Either Holmgren thinks everyone else is an idiot, or he's an idiot. Those are your choices.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Hockeypete49
How you like me now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdalite View Post
I Found Homers denial in this very powerful and interesting.

Full article can be found here:

http://www.torontosun.com/2011/09/20...-carter-trades
The media is the reason for all the so called bad boy rumors. I have to give Homer his props for being a stand-up individual. 1-2-3.

Hockeypete49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:12 PM
CharlieGirl
Get well soon Kimmo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
The media is the reason for all the so called bad boy rumors. I have to give Homer his props for being a stand-up individual. 1-2-3.
Where the **** was he right after the trades? Oh wait, he was busy saying more stupid ****.

CharlieGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:39 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
Originally Posted by orange is better View Post
Who's he even talking about? Homer has lost it
He obviously still gets asked about it - the fact that he gets pissed and answers the question tells you that he has "lost it"?

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:40 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
No, I'm not wrong, I'm right. How do you know who went to who on the story? The local Philly media couldn't possibly call them out on it. They weren't the decision makers. Holmgren and Snider were. They know the reasons for the deals. The Philly media clearly doesn't.
So if Paul Holmgren came out and said he was Santa Claus, you would believe him. That's essentially what you're saying by admitting that you believe every word that comes out of their mouths, because the media just reports what they're told and have no agenda whatsoever.

Maybe someone from Canada can answer this for me, but how often does Steve Simmons report on anything Flyers? It can't be frequent, which might be why this is even a topic.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:47 PM
Gert B Frobe

Quote:
I think you mean the Philly media will write it in their story and then call them out for some bs conjecture supposedly leaked to some hack gossip columnist. Then on the front page of the Daily news you have "HOT SEXY SINGLES" of the week - basically - they will do anything to grab attention and sell the complete garbage that is the Daily News/Inquirer. Except of course hire writers who know jack **** about hockey.

Oh but wait - Bill Conlin is a genius - the way he describes the smell of fresh cut grass in the spring is such ****ing art...

Gert B Frobe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:53 PM
Talentless Practise*

He should've traded them Both to LA, and LA could've just added Doughty.

Talentless Practise* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:54 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gert B Frobe View Post
I think you mean the Philly media will write it in their story and then call them out for some bs conjecture supposedly leaked to some hack gossip columnist. Then on the front page of the Daily news you have "HOT SEXY SINGLES" of the week - basically - they will do anything to grab attention and sell the complete garbage that is the Daily News/Inquirer. Except of course hire writers who know jack **** about hockey.

Oh but wait - Bill Conlin is a genius - the way he describes the smell of fresh cut grass in the spring is such ****ing art...
Yeah that too. I was going to say that Dry Island set him off.

Old
09-21-2011, 03:58 PM
nevermore
Cap space since 2005

nevermore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:24 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieGirl View Post
Where the **** was he right after the trades? Oh wait, he was busy saying more stupid ****.
I don't know when or where he said any stupid **** after the trades. Is this just more blind hate for the guy?

He's pretty much admitted through his moves this offseason that he dismantled the prospect pool and has never put much thought into filling the goaltending void, and he fixed both of the problems, kept the team stacked with young talent AND veteran leadership, and potentially (from what we hear so far) fixed the locker room.

The only knock against him that I agree with is that he hands out quesitonable/stupid contracts. But for most of them, I still see his reasoning (Bryz, Shelley, Lilja, Talbot).

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:37 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
So if Paul Holmgren came out and said he was Santa Claus, you would believe him. That's essentially what you're saying by admitting that you believe every word that comes out of their mouths, because the media just reports what they're told and have no agenda whatsoever.

Maybe someone from Canada can answer this for me, but how often does Steve Simmons report on anything Flyers? It can't be frequent, which might be why this is even a topic.
Santa Claus has nothing to do with it. Secondly, where exactly did I admit that I believe every word that comes out of their mouths? There seems to be an issue on this site of people taking statements completely out of context, and seeing what they want to see.

Sometimes when a GM says something, he's telling the truth. It was very obvious from the delivery, and in the precise words that he used, that is was a clear denial, and not a PR spin.

Old
09-21-2011, 04:39 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 View Post
Hockeypete49, ever a waste of time to read.

It was Paul Holmgren himself that made the guys drinking a story in the first place. Holmgren made a point of it in an interview with Wayne Fish, and THAT is when it became a story in the first place.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote