HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Official NFL Thread (Jets Enter Bye Week; Giants Come Out Of The Bye V Mia)

Closed Thread

Old
09-21-2011, 11:00 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonathan. View Post
Yup. Done for the year.

This is un-****ing-believable. Seriously, **** this. This season is over. Just hold up the white flag.
Because we lost Hixon?

His career is likely over. But he is a minor role player on this team.

That's like saying that losing DJ Ware ends the season for us.

Jernigan is gonna be the punt returner now, I would bet. He'll take Hixon's active roster spot.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:01 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

vCash: 500
Send a message via AIM to Bird Law
Hopefully this injury bug moves on to Philly or Dallas soon.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:02 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
Because we lost Hixon?

His career is likely over. But he is a minor role player on this team.

That's like saying that losing DJ Ware ends the season for us.

Jernigan is gonna be the punt returner now, I would bet. He'll take Hixon's active roster spot.
We are losing EVERYONE. Hixon is the only reliable slot receiver we had.

We now have two receivers. Everyone else is suspect. And who knows how bad Manningham's concussion is.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:04 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
We are losing EVERYONE. Hixon is the only reliable slot receiver we had.

We now have two receivers. Everyone else is suspect. And who knows how bad Manningham's concussion is.
Hixon wasn't a slot receiver. He had some speed but he just wasn't very good in the middle of the field.

Hixon was only important receiver when we lost Burress 3 years ago, and he became the deep threat. But after the acquisition of Stokley (A great move) his role was really not much.

This is only a big hit if Manningham is out for an extended period of time. In the meantime Cruz will take the few snaps Hixon would have.

And, of course, we can always pick up TJ Housh if we have to.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Hixon wasn't a slot receiver. He had some speed but he just wasn't very good in the middle of the field.

Hixon was only important receiver when we lost Burress 3 years ago, and he became the deep threat. But after the acquisition of Stokley (A great move) his role was really not much.

This is only a big hit if Manningham is out for an extended period of time. In the meantime Cruz will take the few snaps Hixon would have.

And, of course, we can always pick up TJ Housh if we have to.
You are missing the point. Hixon can run routes. He was going to be the slot receiver on this team. He knew the plays and is not a moron like Manningham is when it comes to running routes. He was the only guy we really had who can play slot.

Now we move down to Cruz.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:06 AM
OverTheCap

It's just too damn predictable. So many of these players are injury prone that it's only a matter of time before they injured themselves again. Barden, Sintim, Osi, Hixon. Hopefully Kiwi isn't next.

Hixon's loss really hurts our special teams. Jernigan did not look ready for prime time at all.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
It's just too damn predictable. So many of these players are injury prone that it's only a matter of time before they injured themselves again. Barden, Sintim, Osi, Hixon. Hopefully Kiwi isn't next.

Hixon's loss really hurts our special teams. Jernigan did not look ready for prime time at all.
That's why we have Thomas and Ross. They will battle it out, along with Jernigan, to see who ends up being the ST ace. All three should be used during game time to see who is the best. Think Ross sucks at it already, so give him a game to show he's got nothing.

Frankly, they should be using Scott, too.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
You are missing the point. Hixon can run routes. He was going to be the slot receiver on this team. He knew the plays and is not a moron like Manningham is when it comes to running routes. He was the only guy we really had who can play slot.

Now we move down to Cruz.
Stokley is this team's slot receiver now. And due to his age, Devin Thomas will undoubtedly take some snaps there as well.

An injury to our #4 WR ain't a big deal, when you consider we've lost

Our #2 CB (Thomas)
Our #4 CB (Witherspoon)
Our likely #3 CB (Prince)
Our #1 MLB (Goff)
Our #2 DE (Osi)
Our #3 WR (Barden)
Our #1B TE (Beckum)
Our #2 WR (Manningham)
Our 2nd string SSLB (Sintim)
Our #3 DT (Austin)

For different periods. Am I missing anyone?

Old
09-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Stokley is this team's slot receiver now. And due to his age, Devin Thomas will undoubtedly take some snaps there as well.

An injury to our #4 WR ain't a big deal, when you consider we've lost

Our #2 CB (Thomas)
Our #4 CB (Witherspoon)
Our likely #3 CB (Prince)
Our #1 MLB (Goff)
Our #2 DE (Osi)
Our #3 WR (Barden)
Our #1B TE (Beckum)
Our #2 WR (Manningham)
Our 2nd string SSLB (Sintim)
Our #3 DT (Austin)

For different periods. Am I missing anyone?
Neither Stokely or Thomas are familiar enough with our offense for me to be comfortable with them being the go to guy on slot plays.

Thomas was our #1 CB. Witherspoon was our #6. Bruce Johnson is the main guy who you missed; he was our #4 with Ross the #5.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:19 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Webster always gets the toughest opposing wideout. Thomas was more a pick-or-miss guy.

As far as offensive familiarity, you get that by playing in games and learning to play with Eli. I don't suspect that Cruz will be the go-to-guy on 3rd down for very long. You also have the possible return of Beckhum who can play slot.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:20 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
Webster always gets the toughest opposing wideout. Thomas was more a pick-or-miss guy.

As far as offensive familiarity, you get that by playing in games and learning to play with Eli. I don't suspect that Cruz will be the go-to-guy on 3rd down for very long. You also have the possible return of Beckhum who can play slot.
Yeah, but Beckum outright sucks. He had a TERRIBLE camp. Doubt he gets much/any time. Especially with Ballard looking so damn solid.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

Quote:
Yeah, but Beckum outright sucks. He had a TERRIBLE camp. Doubt he gets much/any time. Especially with Ballard looking so damn solid.
I like what Ballard brings. Better blocker than Boss as well.

In 3 weeks, we get Barden off the PUP. Maybe he can be an impact player at last this year.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
NYR Viper

The Giants should try and get Naaman Roosevelt from Buffalo. Kid is going to be a very good receiver in this league and I am sure he could be had for peanuts.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Bird Law
Daisy's back.

Quote:
I like what Ballard brings. Better blocker than Boss as well.

In 3 weeks, we get Barden off the PUP. Maybe he can be an impact player at last this year.
I have no idea. I sure as hell hope so.

Old
09-22-2011, 06:56 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

At any point does it become apparent that the turf at the New Meadowlands is contributing to this? I would love to see some type of mathematical breakdown of the likelihood of injury at home vs away.

Old
09-22-2011, 06:58 AM
SomebodySaveKreider

I think if the Giants want a chance against the Eagles, they have GOT to run the football down their throats. The Eagles cannot stop the run.

That being said, because Kevin Gilbride is the Offensive Coordinator, we'll pass the ball 50 times

Old
09-22-2011, 08:01 AM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Revelation View Post
At any point does it become apparent that the turf at the New Meadowlands is contributing to this? I would love to see some type of mathematical breakdown of the likelihood of injury at home vs away.
It hasn't really been an issue for the Jets, so I'm hesitant to link it to the turf. It's possible though.

It's just pain.
Old
09-22-2011, 09:35 AM
klingsor
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
I like Singin's suggestion of playing Bradshaw and Jacobs together occasionally.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM
silverfish
Mr. Glass

Over/under 9.5 times we hear about or watch a replay of the DeSean Jackson punt return from last season?

I'm going over.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:07 AM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Can I get some fantasy football advice? As much as I hate rooting for him, I do have Miles Austin on my team, and with him injured, I have to put in a WR from the bench.

Johnny Knox (playing Green Bay) or Eric Decker (playing @ Tennessee)?

Old
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
OverTheCap

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post
Can I get some fantasy football advice? As much as I hate rooting for him, I do have Miles Austin on my team, and with him injured, I have to put in a WR from the bench.

I use this website all the time for sit/start, it's pretty helpful and accurate:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start/

This is a tough one. Green Bay D hasn't looked great thus far. But last week with Roy Williams out, Cutler opted to throw the ball to Forte instead of Knox.

Decker has looked real good, but if Brandon Lloyd is playing, Decker may not have the same type of production he had last week. If Lloyd is out again, start Decker for sure.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Revelation
Reanimated

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Sting View Post

I would personally play Knox. Cutler is a better QB than Orton, and Green Bay's pass defense has been getting torched early this season.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:47 PM
Imclaudelemieux

Lions are goin' deep this year. Suh's unstoppable, Calvin is Christ.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:48 PM
NYR Sting
Heart and Soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverTheCap View Post
I use this website all the time for sit/start, it's pretty helpful and accurate:

http://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/start/

This is a tough one. Green Bay D hasn't looked great thus far. But last week with Roy Williams out, Cutler opted to throw the ball to Forte instead of Knox.

Decker has looked real good, but if Brandon Lloyd is playing, Decker may not have the same type of production he had last week. If Lloyd is out again, start Decker for sure.
Quote:
I would personally play Knox. Cutler is a better QB than Orton, and Green Bay's pass defense has been getting torched early this season.
Thanks fellas. Really appreciate the advice. Perhaps you'll tackle another one for me (pun intended)? Big Ben versus Kolb? Both have great matchups (Steelers face the Colts, Cardinals face the Seahawks), while Kolb has outscored Ben in both of the first two weeks (granted, week 1 was one of the worst games of Ben's career).

I'm really torn. My gut is telling me to go with Ben because it's about time they established their passing game, but the Seahawks are so bad and Kolb will probably have a nice game, too.

Old
09-23-2011, 08:14 AM
mullichicken25

anybody besides myself (obviously) feel that the pending 3 game suspension on Ced Benson is complete and utter bull ****?

with all the other crap that players did during the lockout the only suspension handed out is to Benson who got in a fight with his old roommate? thats some weak **** right there

Aqib Talib SHOT SOMEONE! and Kenny Britt got arrested how many times this summer?

The NFLPA should be up in arms about this

Closed Thread