HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > General Hockey Discussion > The Rink
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
The Rink For the not so ready for prime-time players, coaches, referees, and the people that have to live with them. Discuss experiences in local leagues, coaching tips, equipment, and training.

That Darn Tongue

Old
09-20-2011, 06:00 PM
ComradeChris

vCash: 500
That Darn Tongue

So my skates are a perfect fit, I can skate like the wind in them. The only problem is that my tongue keeps on trying to settle to the right on both skates rather than stay in the middle. It hasn't been a problem until recently; where the tongue is so far to the right that it puts a crapload of pressure on my ankles and makes it hard to skate. I was wondering if anyone here has encountered the same problem and could offer a bit of advice. No matter what I try they keep going back: realigning the tongue, retying the skates, and changing the way I tie them. I was thinking of taking out the stitching and restitching it to make it a new fit, but then I realized there has to be an easier way. I've also thought about using tape around the ankles, but that's how ankles get broken so I've been trying to avoid that solution as much as I can. Any pointers, ideas, or conversation is appreciated. Thanks.

ComradeChris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:41 AM
beth

You know how some athletic shoes have a place to thread the laces through the tongue? Maybe you could add something like that to help hold it?

beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:31 AM
Stickmata

I'd try having the tongues replaced. Sounds like they weren't stiched right. Or maybe your skate is too low volume for your foot and the tongue isn't settling right in relation to the boot. What skates are they?

Stickmata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:17 PM
hockey player

Why don't you try tucking the tongue underneath your shinpad and socks? I had a similar problem when I skated with tongues flopping out but keeping them underneath my shin pads helps keep them in place.

hockey player is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:17 PM
Crosbyfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by ComradeChris View Post
So my skates are a perfect fit, I can skate like the wind in them. The only problem is that my tongue keeps on trying to settle to the right on both skates rather than stay in the middle. It hasn't been a problem until recently; where the tongue is so far to the right that it puts a crapload of pressure on my ankles and makes it hard to skate. I was wondering if anyone here has encountered the same problem and could offer a bit of advice. No matter what I try they keep going back: realigning the tongue, retying the skates, and changing the way I tie them. I was thinking of taking out the stitching and restitching it to make it a new fit, but then I realized there has to be an easier way. I've also thought about using tape around the ankles, but that's how ankles get broken so I've been trying to avoid that solution as much as I can. Any pointers, ideas, or conversation is appreciated. Thanks.
Having tightened hundreds of kids skates I find some of the tongues seem to "walk" sideways out of position as you tighten them up. Once tightened they want to stay there.

What I find helps is to cheat them the opposite way so that they "walk" back to the proper position as I tighten, sometimes correcting as I go. After a while they should need less correcting as they reset/stretch/adjust to the position they are used in.

Crosbyfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:54 PM
AIREAYE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stickmata View Post
I'd try having the tongues replaced. Sounds like they weren't stiched right. Or maybe your skate is too low volume for your foot and the tongue isn't settling right in relation to the boot. What skates are they?
Agreed.

To the OP: are they thicker felt tongues (think One80/One100) or thinner more form-fitting tongues (think X:60)?

If you have thicker felt; I'd look at tongue replacement as a last resort. Definitely see if it's a depth issue (ie. once tightened, is the top of your foot jutting/riding over the top of the skate boot?)

AIREAYE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
ComradeChris

The skates are Vapor 25s. Only like 2 years old; worked great the first 2 years, but now they are acting up.

Old
10-25-2011, 09:49 PM
ComradeChris

Figured out a way to get the tongue to stop moving so much. Instead of putting my shin guards under the tongue I'm letting them rest above it.

Old
10-26-2011, 07:06 AM
Axman
MoreSkilledThanYou

Tuck the tongue under your shin guards and hockey socks. There's no way I could play comfortably with the tongue out.

Axman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
10-26-2011, 08:16 AM
vapor11

I pull my shin guards up before I tie my skates so I can get the top eyelets nice and tight and then push the shin guard back down

vapor11 is offline   Reply With Quote