Notices

Mark Scheifele has no ELC contract.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:51 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

vCash: 500
Mark Scheifele has no ELC contract.

Without an ELC contract signed there will be no way Mark plays this year in the NHL, even the 9 game stint we all talk about. So until he's signed to an ELC contract he won't be in Winnipeg after the pre-season.
This should give us a better indication of what management plans on doing with his development. Of course they could still offer him a contract in the meantime, but that counts against our 50 contract limit and if he isn't making the team this year then it doesn't make sense to do that.

Paradise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:54 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

vCash: 635
I don't think it means a thing. I've realized he didnt have a contract for a while, but theres no reason to spend the time working on it until it's needed. IF he earns a spot on the team, it can be set up in a day easily. ELC's generally arent as difficult to negotiate as most contracts.
With all the things Chevy has been doing, there was no need to spend time on this. I don't think its an indication of anything to be honest.

wpgsilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:57 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpgsilver View Post
I don't think it means a thing. I've realized he didnt have a contract for a while, but theres no reason to spend the time working on it until it's needed. IF he earns a spot on the team, it can be set up in a day easily. ELC's generally arent as difficult to negotiate as most contracts.
With all the things Chevy has been doing, there was no need to spend time on this. I don't think its an indication of anything to be honest.
Well the Jets have until the season starts to consider signing him. Personally I hope he spends this year in the OHL.

P.S this is more of an education lesson to those that don;t know about how ELC's work. Those that do already know this.

Old
09-21-2011, 01:09 AM
Le Golie

No big deal either way. Lots of players sign ELC's and still spend a year or two in junior.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:41 AM
HPsauce

vCash: 566
The only indication of what management plans on doing with Mark depends on Mark. If he consistently preforms like he did tonight, they will have no choice but to offer him the ELC. By the end of the game he was playing on the first PP unit with Ladd, Antro, Buff, and Bogo... that might be more of an indication that he'll make the team. Either way, Mark has amazing hockey IQ. He will make this team!

HPsauce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:18 AM
sunsethill

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPsauce View Post
Either way, Mark has amazing hockey IQ. He will make this team!
I agree - lots of players have the physical aspects - but the one thing you can't teach is hockey sense - and Mark certainly has that.

Some people have suggested he needs to go back to Junior to progress as a player. I suggest he needs to play against men - not boys - to keep progressing. He has what it takes. Time will tell.

sunsethill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:43 AM
almostawake

Part of the issue here is not knowing what the new CBA will look like. The other part is the 50 contract limit. If Scheifele shows he's worth a 9 game look then a deal will almost certainly be done.

almostawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:05 AM
Paradise
Individual thinker

We currently have 47 players under contract, so there's room this year if management wanted to add Scheilfele. I know they've already added Telegin on an ELC contract, but he doesn't look like he's anywhere near an NHL roster spot ATM. If the need to see Scheifele in the NHL (even for the 9 game stint) out weight's the Jets contract openings, then I could see that happening. 1 or more of those spots could go to someone in camp (Koper, Aebischer, Bodie, Pesonen, Koci, etc) that's not under contract, or to a waiver claim before the season starts. It's good to keep options open until then.

Old
09-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Shrimper
Trick or ruddy treat

vCash: 50
I wouldn't have expected him to play in the NHL this year regardless of his performance in pre-season. Unless he manages to really impress and put up point totals that would rival the likes of Antropov, Ladd and Wheeler, then he's going to be spending the year developing in either the junior leagues, or the AHL. Which I think would be best for him as it would be the best way to gain experience and I wouldn't want to see him rushed in to the first team.

Shrimper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:55 AM
nolski5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
I wouldn't have expected him to play in the NHL this year regardless of his performance in pre-season. Unless he manages to really impress and put up point totals that would rival the likes of Antropov, Ladd and Wheeler, then he's going to be spending the year developing in either the junior leagues, or the AHL. Which I think would be best for him as it would be the best way to gain experience and I wouldn't want to see him rushed in to the first team.
I know it's only one game and pre-season at that.. but Scheifele looked pretty cozy last night playing. Some players gain better experience playing in the NHL than they would with returning to Junior. What better way to gain seasoning than to play in the best league in the world. I guess there would be risks with how he would handle a slump and how adverse that would be... but maybe the Jets could put him on a line where he would get softer minutes, no PK duties and 2nd line PP so he wouldn't be carrying a heavy load until he's ready.

I'm trying to think of names that come to mind when I saw him play last night... Ryan Getzlaf comes to mind. Centre, big shot, gets around the ice well....

nolski5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:28 AM
Aries56

Scheifele could very well be this years Jeff Skinner. Skinner was never a big name, no one thought he'd have the year he did... he just earned his spot on the roster and flourished in the NHL.
They were even both drafted 7th overall (thought that was a neat fact).

It is still too early to tell, but if he earns a shot on the team... I say let him play.

Aries56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

If and only if Scheifele continues to demonstrate he belongs as we go further into the preaseason/regular season, and rosters begin to reach NHL level, which will make the opponents much better, give less time and space, etc.. will I be ok with Scheifele getting some games to begin the season/stay on the team. It's a huge, huge test for him, but if he does it with success and earns his spot, then he deserves to be here. If he doesn't and proves not ready, by all means it's back to Barrie.

I personally think he goes back to Barrie, and it'll be better for him to once again be the go-to-guy there, develop, physically mature, likely play in the WJC, etc. He still has a lot to gain from going back to the OHL. But, if he pulls a Jeff Skinner who had a great camp, pre-season, start to the season last year with Carolina, it's hard not to keep the kid. Pretty well what Noel was saying in last nights post game interview.

But again, I think his destination this year is Barrie. I think that's the organizations "plan" unless Scheifele gives them no other option and forces their hand to keep him. Then and only then, would he stay for good.

09-21-2011, 10:49 AM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
If and only if Scheifele continues to demonstrate he belongs as we go further into the preaseason/regular season, and rosters begin to reach NHL level, which will make the opponents much better, give less time and space, etc.. will I be ok with Scheifele getting some games to begin the season/stay on the team. It's a huge, huge test for him, but if he does it with success and earns his spot, then he deserves to be here. If he doesn't and proves not ready, by all means it's back to Barrie.

I personally think he goes back to Barrie, and it'll be better for him to once again be the go-to-guy there, develop, physically mature, likely play in the WJC, etc. He still has a lot to gain from going back to the OHL. But, if he pulls a Jeff Skinner who had a great camp, pre-season, start to the season last year with Carolina, it's hard not to keep the kid. Pretty well what Noel was saying in last nights post game interview.

But again, I think his destination this year is Barrie. I think that's the organizations "plan" unless Scheifele gives them no other option and forces their hand to keep him. Then and only then, would he stay for good.
I totally agree with your assessment. I kept saying that "I don't think he's ready to be an NHL player, but how can you send him down if he keeps playing at the level?". I think he'll end up in Barrie, but everytime the kid puts on a Jets jersey it seems like he impresses and his chances of staying increase rather than decrease.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Joe Hallenback

Philly just signed Couturier to an ELC. Pretty sure Mark will sign one

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:03 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradise View Post
Of course they could still offer him a contract in the meantime, but that counts against our 50 contract limit and if he isn't making the team this year then it doesn't make sense to do that.
Just a note, if Scheifele is signed then sent down, his contract will not count among the 50 contracts for this season. Just as Telegin's will not when he is sent down leaving the Jets more realistically at 46 contracts for this season right now.

Holden Caulfield is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:13 AM
cheswick
Non-registered User

vCash: 574
The fact he has or hasn't signed an ELC is meaningless. There's very little that can be negotiated on an ELC deal so it's simply a matter of just getting it signed.

Scheifele played well but needs to work on his skating and size. He's been working hard over the summer and wants to make this team but even if he continues to impress I wouldn't be surprised if he is sent down. as Noel said playing October isn't his concern it's in January. A full NHL season is a grind and just cause someone impresses early doesn't mean they will be able to maintain it. It'd be better not burning a year of entry level on him til he gets stronger imo.

cheswick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:27 AM
heilongjetsfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrimper View Post
Scheifele isn't AHL eligible, due to his age. It's NHL or OHL for him. I'd personally like to see him get the ELC and play the full 9 games. I think it would give him a clearer indication of what level he needs to get to to be the star he could very well be. Chances are, after that he goes back to Ducky and the Colts, but who knows. Those regular season games will be against pros playing for keeps. Right now it's a mix of pros shaking off the cobwebs and prospects who aren't ready. His performance tonight is a great sign of things to come, but it's not proof he's ready.

I'd love it if he was, though!

heilongjetsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:50 AM
Savardian Spinarama
Grippin' 'n Grinnin'

I think the rule of thumb is that you should dominate at each level before you move up. Now Sheifele may skip ahead of the class (like go from one more year at Barrie to making the bigs next year), but I'm thinking deep down that despite last night's awesomeness, the jury is still out. He should get plenty of opportunity over the next little while to prove himself against tougher competition as opponents firm up their final line ups. That said, the kid has a big league shot, skates with his head up, and sees the play really well. He's also got good speed, and his head is totally in the game.

Savardian Spinarama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:55 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
They should be signing him to an ELC shortly, regardless of whether or not he stays in the NHL. Remember that the ELC will slide for every year he plays 9 or fewer games.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:59 AM
King Woodballs
MVP! MVP! MVP!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
They should be signing him to an ELC shortly, regardless of whether or not he stays in the NHL. Remember that the ELC will slide for every year he plays 9 or fewer games.
I think it is 9 games total... not just per year.
Not 100% on that though

Most Valuable Player
Most Valuable Player
King Woodballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:22 PM
wpgsilver
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Woodballs View Post
I think it is 9 games total... not just per year.
Not 100% on that though
I was under the impression it was 9 a year.
Where are our CBA experts!!

Old
09-21-2011, 12:28 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

I was under the impression it was 9 games total, whether it be this year or combined with next year, 9 games is 9 games and after that mark the contract would kick in.

I did find this,

http://proicehockey.about.com/od/col...hl_juniors.htm

Quote:
The 10-game mark.

A junior-aged player with a contract can play up to nine NHL games as a trial period. If he is returned to junior before the tenth game, his contract is effectively put on hold: when he goes to training camp the following season, he will be in the first year of his contract.

Once the player appears in his tenth NHL game, his contract kicks in. He can still be returned to his junior club after that. But at season's end, a full contract year will expire.

Guerzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:38 PM
Lynk
Registered Bro

My opinion is he won't be on the team. Like I've said before I do believe this is a 5 year plan TNSE has in place and I seriously do not see them rushing Mark into the lineup anytime sooner than necessary.

He looked good in the game yesterday but that was not a full NHL talent level roster on the ice.

I do believe TN will be taking the situation with the kids very slowly.

Lynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:41 PM
Le Golie

I'm pretty sure an ELC doesn't kick in until a player plays 10 games in a single season.

I'm just going off memory here but I'm pretty confident it's correct.

Le Golie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:46 PM
Winnipeg Jet
Phoenix Coyote

Mark Schiefele will command a maximum entry level contract. Thatís three years, and I canít remember off hand the dollar value, something fairly cheap, all things considered. So if he signs today, tomorrow, next year, or before 1 July 2015, it wonít change a thing. The only things you can do with entry level players is try and negotiate less value, which really is pointless if you believe the guy will be worth X dollars in three years (why unsettle him for what amounts to change). The only thing the player can do is refuse to sign as Blake Wheeler and Jason Gregoire did with the Phoenix Coyotes and New York Islanders. But they have to refuse to sign for four years to become an unrestricted free agent. Although an option, thatís not something Mark Schiefele will do. If he continues to play as he has in the Young Stars Tournament and his first preseason game, heíll get a contract, and nine games. Few gave him a chance, but since the day we drafted him, heís had it within himself. If he earns it, heíll get it. And so far, heís doing a damn good job.

Winnipeg Jet is offline   Reply With Quote