HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Dallas Stars
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Stars sign Michael Ryder (2 years, $3.5M)

Old
08-05-2011, 12:46 PM
Troy McClure

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
Not deceiving at all if it's applied properly. Benn isn't some 3rd or 4th liner that I'm projecting and prorating to the moon. He played 2 minutes less per game at even strength than Richards. And that includes the entire season. I bet he was getting right up around the same 16 minute mark per game down the stretch that was the norm for Richards when Crawford was relying on him (and he was delivering). Then add to that the fact that Benn had a higher 5v5 QUALCOMP than Richards and it's completely appropriate to project his rate scoring as holding at that level at the very least. And once again, I'm not discounting Richards' PP points, just saying that when one guy plays 3 more minutes a night with a man advantage than another, well, there's one place to look to account for a discrepancy.
The problem with equalizing the two is that a fairly close 5v5 and even a fairly close PP points per 60 minutes (which was something of a down year for Richards probably thanks to his blow to the head) doesn't equalize the two overall. Like you said, Richards got an extra three minutes a game of PP time. That's going to lead to a lot more points at the end of the year.

Even if they both have the exact same production per minute played, the guy with the extra minutes will still produce more. Since Benn won't get those extra three minutes of PP time a game, it's not right to look only at a production per 60 minutes stat and ignore the actual time played.

Troy McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-05-2011, 06:06 PM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
Actually, I would too. But Benn is not that.

Also, why do you think Benn has a great defensive game? Do you think just because someone is relatively feisty that makes them good defensively?
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Frugal Gourmet View Post
What intagibles does Benn possess? He's not particularly good defensively and doesn't share the puck at a high level. His instincts as far as where to be on the ice are sub-Ribeiro level. I do think he's tough minded and a hard player. He has the ability to create his own offense which is something very special. Very few players have that.

And I do expect him to improve. I would be overjoyed if he hit 70 points with his uptick in ice time this season.
The intangibles that may one day make him an NHL captain.

Not particularly good defensively? To answer your question not directed at me... knowing where to be on the ice, getting sticks in passing lanes, breaking up offensive plays with anticipation, size and footspeed, winning puck battles along the boards, winning physical battles in general...all of these are attributes of good defensive players. Benn does all of those things and some at a very high level.

There are very few players in this league whose offensive insticts and knowing where to be on the ice are not sub-Ribeiro. If Ribeiro played in Detroit he would be deified, instead he plays in Dallas and is thought of as just some guy. He's ****ing good. The sooner we can get a coach in there who knows how to best utilize his skill-set the better.

Last edited by glovesave_35: 08-05-2011 at 06:15 PM.
glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 12:43 PM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-Stanley-Cup/1

I would prefer, if Ryder starts training with his new club, than to smashing the stanley cup.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 01:21 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arpi3080 View Post
http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Loca...-Stanley-Cup/1

I would prefer, if Ryder starts training with his new club, than to smashing the stanley cup.
AFAIK none of the new FA acquisitions are in Dallas yet. For whatever reason.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
08-30-2011, 02:09 PM
Kritter471

Send a message via AIM to Kritter471
Meh, at least it didn't end up at the bottom of a pool during a team party with Pantera.

Kritter471 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:18 AM
piqued
Global Moderator
shift

vCash: 27750
Ribs says he suggested to the front office that they acquire Ryder a while ago.

piqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:29 AM
Dr GLU

I'm so glad I can't read French. Google Translate takes Robidas' quote about Benn an translates it to saying that he "has everything it takes to be a dominant player: size, skating and shooting lightning."

Dr GLU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:54 AM
Frozen Failure
Best Threadkiller

vCash: 2111
Send a message via AIM to Frozen Failure Send a message via Yahoo to Frozen Failure
Quote:
Originally Posted by GLU View Post
I'm so glad I can't read French. Google Translate takes Robidas' quote about Benn an translates it to saying that he "has everything it takes to be a dominant player: size, skating and shooting lightning."
Benn is the Emperor!?

Frozen Failure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:51 PM
Brand New Stars

Now that's a reason to use on the trade board saying we won't trade Benn...

After the way the Ribs line performed last night, I think Ryder will pot 28-35 goals.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 01:56 PM
MetalGodAOD
Star Rangers

vCash: 746
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brand New Stars View Post
Now that's a reason to use on the trade board saying we won't trade Benn...

After the way the Ribs line performed last night, I think Ryder will pot 28-35 goals.
Too early to say. Ryder's problem has never been skill, its consistency. He's Neal 2.0.

That being said his ToI should be well higher in Dallas than in Boston, so 30 goals isn't out of the question.

MetalGodAOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:08 PM
Stars99Lobo37
Away Games - 13

vCash: 1495
Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
He's Neal 2.0.
Post Mania has returned?

Bossier-Shreveport Mudbugs - 1997 to 2011 - WPHL Champions 1998, 1999, 2000 - CHL Champions 2011
Stars99Lobo37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:16 PM
Brand New Stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnholyPrince View Post
Too early to say. Ryder's problem has never been skill, its consistency. He's Neal 2.0.

That being said his ToI should be well higher in Dallas than in Boston, so 30 goals isn't out of the question.
I just think Ribs will thrive with Ryder to his right. He finally has the type of winger he's needed for the past few years. It seems like a natural fit. An inconsistent Ryder could still put up 30 with a playmaker like Ribeiro.

Brand New Stars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:19 PM
Great One

So...it's coming to the end of the season and I figured it would be a good time to bump this thread. Ryder has been on fire lately and has had a remarkable year for you guys. He has played a major role in where you guys are positioned in the standings and IMO has earned every dollar of his salary thus far.

Being from Ryder's home province I've been keeping track on how he has been playing and have watched as many games as I could this year. One thing I've noticed about Ryder is that he has been a little streaky just like he has in the past. If he could somehow manage to be more consistent I have no doubt in my mind that he could score 40 for you guys.

Also I just wanted to mention that just about every one of you guys that posted in this thread were spot on about Ryder. He's well on his way to a 30 goal campaign and possibly even the best of his career. Being an Oiler fan and given our past rivalry in the playoffs, I normally wouldn't say this to Dallas fans but congrats on this great signing and I'll be rooting for you guys to make the playoffs this year just so you can see how Ryder can step up his game when the games matter most. Trust me, you won't be disappointed. Cheers!!

Great One is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 09:54 PM
TangoMcBride

This thread is full of douchetry from so-called Stars fans.

TangoMcBride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:10 PM
KPower

Great year for Ryder.

Very nice signing.

KPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-04-2012, 10:19 PM
catters078

Quote:
Originally Posted by piqued View Post
What's interesting about Ryder is that if you look at his shooting percentage just from his first 5 seasons it's 12.6%, which is in line for a skilled goalscorer. But then the past 2 years where he's scored only 18 it's dipped below that number to 9.4% and 10.9% respectively. Now you hear about people projecting certain players to come back down to Earth who have an unsustainably high shooting percentages, well, the same applies in the other direction. I'd expect him to rise back to around the 12 and a half mark, which interestingly enough is also his career playoff shooting %, where everyone says he plays particularly well.

The second point is the disparity between his TOI in Boston and his likely TOI here. He only played an average of 15 minutes a game the past 2 years. Ribeiro, on the other hand, plays about 20 a night. That's a big difference. I won't say Ryder will match that, but you have to assume they'll be somewhat close, or at least closer.

So Ryder last year had 165 shots over 1,144 minutes. Now let's say next year that TOI number goes up to 1,500, barring injury. (I'm still being conservative here, Ribeiro played 1,637) That projects to ~215 total shots. Give him his previous shooting % on those and you're looking at a 27-28 goal season. And that's not even factoring the effect Ribeiro will have in terms of creating high-quality chances like we know he will, or the chemistry they had in Montreal.

30 goals is a realistic target.

pretty good prediciton Piqued..

Hopefully youre 5 or 6 under

catters078 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 04:14 AM
ck26
7,709 miles & runnin

vCash: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by KPower View Post
Great year for Ryder.

Very nice signing.
+1

I spent a grand total of about 6 hours thinking about hockey between Jan 2010 and Jan 2012, and when I checked in on my most-recent stay in Dallas, Ryder was one of the "... huh?" names on the roster (Dvorak was the other big one). I was in the house for Coyotes / Flames / Wild and saw almost each February game on TV and was impressed; he's certainly been better than I perceived him to be a few years ago when he was 1/3 of the Montreal Canadiens default trade offer.

ck26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:29 AM
MB94
@MBFarina94

I liked this signing from the beginning. Hopefully we can get to see how he performs in the playoffs with us!

MB94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 08:36 AM
Arpi3080
Everybody be cool!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MB Stars View Post
I liked this signing from the beginning. Hopefully we can get to see how he performs in the playoffs with us!
Me too, but I'm a little bit disappointed that the morrow-ribs-ryder line didn't work very well. Pre-season they were hot, regular-season NOT.

Arpi3080 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 07:06 PM
cupwatcher2014

TSN today - Dallas moves up in the rankings from 15th to 10th, and the comment is:

6-0-1 in the last seven games, the Stars hit a home run when they signed RW Michael Ryder. With 11 goals in 17 games since the All-Star break, Ryder is three away from tying his career-high.
Key Injuries: LW Brenden Morrow (neck).

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/

cupwatcher2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:08 PM
cojak33

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryder View Post
TSN today - Dallas moves up in the rankings from 15th to 10th, and the comment is:

6-0-1 in the last seven games, the Stars hit a home run when they signed RW Michael Ryder. With 11 goals in 17 games since the All-Star break, Ryder is three away from tying his career-high.
Key Injuries: LW Brenden Morrow (neck).

http://www.tsn.ca/fantasy_news/rankings/nhl/
Playing awesome

cojak33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-05-2012, 09:30 PM
Sony Eriksson*

Traditionally he has been good for two consecutive years then it drops off but nevertheless he has been a nice surprise.

Sony Eriksson* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 12:22 AM
glovesave_35
Name

vCash: 250
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sony Eriksson View Post
Traditionally he has been good for two consecutive years then it drops off but nevertheless he has been a nice surprise.
Well I guess it's good we've only got him for two years then.

glovesave_35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-06-2012, 02:16 AM
Hollywood

Best quick release in the NHL. Despite the Bruins winning the cup they dropped the ball playing Ryder in the slot on powerplays as a "decoy" as opposed to coming off the half boards or playing the back door.
Dallas is utilizing him properly and results speak for themselves. Best snapper in the NHL.

Hollywood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
03-07-2012, 12:22 AM
Bennrocks

Where would this team be without Ryder...

Bennrocks is offline   Reply With Quote