Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Central Division > Winnipeg Jets
Notices

PGT: 20/09/11 Split Squad with Columbus Blue Jackets

Old
09-21-2011, 09:31 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

vCash: 264
-Great view from section 301, now I understand why scouts sit in the corners. You just see everything develop so nicely.

-Speaking of the view, there's a dude who has got be at least 6'5" two rows directly down from me. Makes for alot of neck craning around the goalmouth and behind the net. Hopefully he's a half-season guy.

-Good mix of people in my section, quieter older groups and some younger guys who drink like frat boys. Me and my brother are somewhere in between . Everyone was really friendly and cool though, plenty of high-fives and chatter throughout the night.

-300 level is in dire need of some upgrades, which apparently will be coming. Ridiculously long lineups, especially for the bathroom.

-Atmosphere? Electric. Like nothing I've ever been a part of, save for Jets v1.0 playoff games. You couldn't hear the PA system when they first hit the ice, that's how loud it was.

Still trying to process the idea of NHL hockey being back in Winnipeg, and I don't think it will fully hit home until the season opener vs. Montreal.

Hank Chinaski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:37 AM
vivianmb

vCash: 500
players i was impressed with.
-Shielfle.
-Postma points,and toughness
-Buff
-Pavelec
-Gregoire

players who did ok but i wasnt too impressed with
-Burmistrov...pass the puck kid.sometimes its btter to dump it deep than try stick handling out of it...especially near the blue lines.c

vivianmb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Hammer Slammer

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Chinaski View Post
-Speaking of the view, there's a dude who has got be at least 6'5" two rows directly down from me. Makes for alot of neck craning around the goalmouth and behind the net. Hopefully he's a half-season guy.
I'm a tall guy and I always feel horrible if I'm not right at the back by a wall. So if I'm going to a game I'm gonna be bummed out if I can't sit at the back of a section. People tell me not to worry about it but I don't want to ruin someone else's experience because they can't see.

On that note, how many rows do the different sections have?

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:55 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Re; Bogosian, I think he's got enough tools to overcome his decision making in terms of when and when not to jump into the rush, what to do in his own end when he's only got that split second to make a decision, etc. The main thing I watched last night out of Bogosian was likely the most important thing, and that is confidence. He was confident in what he was doing, confident in his abilities, and you could tell. He made a few mistakes, but overall I think he did pretty well and displayed what kind of potential and tools he has and what kind of defenceman he can be. If he can ever put it all together - and I think he will, he could be one of the games better defenceman.

I personally think it's important to remember he is still just a 21 year old defenceman, and for a defenceman in the NHL, that is extremely young. While he has had 3 years experience under his belt, he's still so damn young. Give him time and be patient, that is key. To think in 4 years, which seems like a long time - he will still be just 25 years old and on the cusp of entering his prime years and at that point he'll have 7 years of NHL experience to his name.

At the end of the day, I think it's pretty clear and evident he's got the tools to be a potential top pairing defenceman, and a damn good one. However, I believe it's going to come down to coaching, experience and maturity. At his young age he is still quite raw and he needs that coach that can work with him and help him learn; I think Huddy is a great coach and person for that role for Zach.

Just another guys opinion. And the same could be said for any of our young guys in the NHL today, whether it be Kane or Burmistrov as well. Even Little, who turns 24 in November and has 4 years under his belt is still in the midst of putting it all together and figuring it out. It takes time and patience, but if the tools are there, and they're coachable, they've got a good chance.

I agree with you Guerzy. I thought people were going to be posting about how impressed they were with Bogosian after reading nothing but negative things from a lot of people on this site (HF in general).

Sure he made a ugly pinch and then made a bad decision on the goal to chase the guy around the net. But how about the fact that he lead the team in ice time, played PK and PP, and led the team in shots? (I don't know if that's how it ended up, but he was leading at one point)

It's almost like people are looking for just the negative. He also helped out his D partner when his partner got caught, and he made several good outlet passes out of our zone. All in all, I think he had a very good game.

I think he was a little amped up, and I can't see the coaching staff letting him go that deep into the offensive zone consistently. At one point he laid a hit behind their goal line.

In regards to the other players, I agree with the assessment of many here.

Not to get into all the players but a few that stood out to me:

Postma / Kulda : I watched this pairing closely as I have been very interested in these two. I thought they played very well, and in some stretches were our best pairing. I was particularly impressed with Kulda. I know Postma got the points, but time after time I saw a defenseman either make the right read, or make a good pass, or stand a guy up and when I checked to see who it was and it was Kulda. I think he's going to be a tough call because if he goes down to the AHL, we can't bring him up without clearing waivers. I think I would rather let Kulda have time in the NHL than Jones at this point.

Antropov : Not impressed at all. I can give him a pass because of the funeral, and maybe he is still getting over the surgery. But there is a big difference between being a slow player and being lazy, disinterested, and not putting in a full effort. I thought Antropov was the latter. And it was disappointing because I think we need a bounce-back year from him.

Pesonen : Looked like he had some nice speed at times, and played with a bit of an edge (especially at the end of the period). It could be interesting to see if he gets a shot here, and if he can score at the NHL level.

Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:01 AM
TCsmyth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inflict View Post
You are probably the only person in the world who prefers troughs... They are horrible. They smell terrible, there is no privacy ("Wont someone PLEASE think of the children!?"), and the worst feeling in the world is having someone to your left and right, shoulder to shoulder, and feeling their piss "mist" on your arms/hands.
He is not the ONLY person that wants the troughs back...count me in. They are the most efficient urine delivery system around.

Low class? Are you guys into determining class in the men's room? Come on, there are about 8 urinals per men's room, with guys lined up 6 deep. The men's rooms are not one-way...clearly the absolute worst feature about MTS. Going to be a long season for those that like to have a coffee or a couple of beers.

Other than that - absolutely loved the game and experience

TCsmyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:05 AM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
I'm a tall guy and I always feel horrible if I'm not right at the back by a wall. So if I'm going to a game I'm gonna be bummed out if I can't sit at the back of a section. People tell me not to worry about it but I don't want to ruin someone else's experience because they can't see.

On that note, how many rows do the different sections have?
100's 16 rows
200's 7 rows
300's 12 rows

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:11 AM
BigTuna49
RIP KevFist

vCash: 1165
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huffer View Post
I agree with you Guerzy. I thought people were going to be posting about how impressed they were with Bogosian after reading nothing but negative things from a lot of people on this site (HF in general).

Sure he made a ugly pinch and then made a bad decision on the goal to chase the guy around the net. But how about the fact that he lead the team in ice time, played PK and PP, and led the team in shots? (I don't know if that's how it ended up, but he was leading at one point)
I've been trying to tell people this for months. HF just doesn't listen unless they see it from themselves.

BigTuna49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
I think he's going to be a tough call because if he goes down to the AHL, we can't bring him up without clearing waivers. I think I would rather let Kulda have time in the NHL than Jones at this point.
Where did you hear this? According to Capgeek, Kulda's still on a two-way. Ditto Postma.

Old
09-21-2011, 10:48 AM
Huffer

Quote:
Where did you hear this? According to Capgeek, Kulda's still on a two-way. Ditto Postma.
I could be wrong, and maybe someone else can comment, but I thought that Kulda had used up his waiver exempt status.

It's not about having a one way or a two way contract, it's about being waiver exempt. I believe after a certain amount of years in the AHL, you lose your waiver exempt status, and if your team tries to send you down, you have to clear waivers. I thought that Kulda was in that situation.

Edit: I put the following information into the calculator from Cap Geek (signed in 2008, 6 games played). Came back as not waiver exempt:

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver_calcul...008&Calculate=

Can anyone confirm?

Last edited by Huffer: 09-21-2011 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Added Capgeek link
Huffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:51 AM
Bruise Bros 2426

I caught a good portion of the game and Patrice Cormier and Troy Bodie looked decent together. Burmistrov made a few nice moves, but at times, he looked like he was doing a little too much instead of dumping it in, like others have said.

Bruise Bros 2426 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:56 AM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
I could be wrong, and maybe someone else can comment, but I thought that Kulda had used up his waiver exempt status.

It's not about having a one way or a two way contract, it's about being waiver exempt. I believe after a certain amount of years in the AHL, you lose your waiver exempt status, and if your team tries to send you down, you have to clear waivers. I thought that Kulda was in that situation.

Can anyone confirm?
This is true. He is 23 and it has been 3 years since he signed his ELC, that puts him right on the limit for waiver exemption...so I am not sure whether that means he gets this year or not.

EDIT: I would trust capgeek on this, he probably has to clear on the way down.

However you had said "when he gets called back up he will have to clear waivers". Since Kulda has a twoway, he does not need to go on re-entry waivers(as in does not have to clear on the way back uop) since his AHL salary is less than the waiver amount(I think it is 110K).

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:11 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Oh, and to the gentlemen with the large "Welcome To The (sic) Hanger" banner in the 300 level...

hang·er (noun)

A shaped piece of wood, plastic, or metal with a hook at the top, from which clothes may be hung in order to keep them in shape and free of creases

C'mon guys, our education system isn't that bad, is it?

Old
09-21-2011, 11:16 AM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:

Edit: I put the following information into the calculator from Cap Geek (signed in 2008, 6 games played). Came back as not waiver exempt:

http://www.capgeek.com/waiver_calcul...008&Calculate=

Can anyone confirm?
Good call, you're absolutely right.

Old
09-21-2011, 12:06 PM
Hammer Slammer

Send a message via AIM to Hammer Slammer
Quote:
Oh, and to the gentlemen with the large "Welcome To The (sic) Hanger" banner in the 300 level...

hang·er (noun)

A shaped piece of wood, plastic, or metal with a hook at the top, from which clothes may be hung in order to keep them in shape and free of creases

C'mon guys, our education system isn't that bad, is it?
Nothing grinds my gears more than improper spelling. Especially if it's going to be on a giant banner! Maybe they want the guys to hang up their jerseys in the 300's.

Hammer Slammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:15 PM
Joe Hallenback

I thought Bogo was probably asked to stretch his legs in the 2nd. He played really simple in the 1st so it makes sense they would want to see what he can do when he tries to open it up. Needless to say he made a few poor decisions but they guy clearly has the skill level needed to do it. Just needs to know when and when no to.

Postma had a solid game but his defending is a little weak. I actually thought he and Kulda made a fine pairing as Kulda was really safe and solid in his end. They would make a good bottom pairing right now.

Joe Hallenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 12:53 PM
Jet
Chevel-takesadayoff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guerzy View Post
Re; Bogosian, I think he's got enough tools to overcome his decision making in terms of when and when not to jump into the rush, what to do in his own end when he's only got that split second to make a decision, etc. The main thing I watched last night out of Bogosian was likely the most important thing, and that is confidence. He was confident in what he was doing, confident in his abilities, and you could tell. He made a few mistakes, but overall I think he did pretty well and displayed what kind of potential and tools he has and what kind of defenceman he can be. If he can ever put it all together - and I think he will, he could be one of the games better defenceman.

I personally think it's important to remember he is still just a 21 year old defenceman, and for a defenceman in the NHL, that is extremely young. While he has had 3 years experience under his belt, he's still so damn young. Give him time and be patient, that is key. To think in 4 years, which seems like a long time - he will still be just 25 years old and on the cusp of entering his prime years and at that point he'll have 7 years of NHL experience to his name.

At the end of the day, I think it's pretty clear and evident he's got the tools to be a potential top pairing defenceman, and a damn good one. However, I believe it's going to come down to coaching, experience and maturity. At his young age he is still quite raw and he needs that coach that can work with him and help him learn; I think Huddy is a great coach and person for that role for Zach.

Just another guys opinion. And the same could be said for any of our young guys in the NHL today, whether it be Kane or Burmistrov as well. Even Little, who turns 24 in November and has 4 years under his belt is still in the midst of putting it all together and figuring it out. It takes time and patience, but if the tools are there, and they're coachable, they've got a good chance.
Nice post. Couldn't agree more. The one play that maturity will cure is the one where he took it behind his own net, his partner Stuart wanted to change, and he kept messing around with it and eventually turned it over. Maturity will see Bogo flip it high and just give up possession instead of turning it over in a high risk fashion.

His skill is there, proper decision making will come with tutelage and experience.

09-21-2011, 02:01 PM
World Ultimate

vCash: 1975
Quote:
-Great view from section 301, now I understand why scouts sit in the corners. You just see everything develop so nicely.

-Good mix of people in my section, quieter older groups and some younger guys who drink like frat boys. Me and my brother are somewhere in between . Everyone was really friendly and cool though, plenty of high-fives and chatter throughout the night.

-300 level is in dire need of some upgrades, which apparently will be coming. Ridiculously long lineups, especially for the bathroom.

-Atmosphere? Electric. Like nothing I've ever been a part of, save for Jets v1.0 playoff games. You couldn't hear the PA system when they first hit the ice, that's how loud it was.

Still trying to process the idea of NHL hockey being back in Winnipeg, and I don't think it will fully hit home until the season opener vs. Montreal.
Iam also in 301 and will be there for 10games this year. I also had someone tall in front of me that made it hard to see lol. Im row 7

World Ultimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:06 PM
Hank Chinaski
Mod Supervisor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammer Slammer View Post
Really, it's not a big deal. You'll get minor obstructions wherever you sit, even in the lower bowl. Can't blame a dude for being tall.

Old
09-21-2011, 02:33 PM
Prot

vCash: 100
Quote:

I am 6'1"... but in section.... 311 (?) row 7. I feel bad leaning over. The view is great, but the very extreme corner play has me craning my neck. The cause is a shorter fellow who literally leans on the rail in front of me.

It doesn't bother me really, but I do feel bad if *I* block line of sight for someone behind me.... I don't know the sections well, but I don't think I'm your issue.

But my general area I would describe similarly..... good mix of 'father/son' and middle aged couples, and young, but positive people.

The 'reality' of the NHL being back came to a full realization for me as soon as they hit the ice.

It was weird and intangible, but you could feel it being there. At that moment, it became real for me anyway.

Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Wonko the Sane
It's you not me.

vCash: 1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
I am 6'1"... but in section.... 311 (?) row 7. I feel bad leaning over. The view is great, but the very extreme corner play has me craning my neck. The cause is a shorter fellow who literally leans on the rail in front of me.

It doesn't bother me really, but I do feel bad if *I* block line of sight for someone behind me.... I don't know the sections well, but I don't think I'm your issue.

But my general area I would describe similarly..... good mix of 'father/son' and middle aged couples, and young, but positive people.

The 'reality' of the NHL being back came to a full realization for me as soon as they hit the ice.

It was weird and intangible, but you could feel it being there. At that moment, it became real for me anyway.

I can't wait, my first game is next Wednesday (1/2 seasons), I'm gonna be stoked I hope my 8 yr old girl is ready to see dad cry

Wonko the Sane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:58 PM
Makeshift We Are
Harper is a fool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet View Post
Wow. That crowd was amazing. Can't wait to be there on October ninth.

What section are you in?

Makeshift We Are is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
Holden Caulfield
Perennial Skeptic

Quote:
Lol I'm 6'3'', 220lbs with wide shoulders. Sorry to whoever is behind me in section 304, but there's really nothing I can do about that lol.

Holden Caulfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:14 PM
jetkarma

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Lol I'm 6'3'', 220lbs with wide shoulders. Sorry to whoever is behind me in section 304, but there's really nothing I can do about that lol.

Slouch .... just kidding

jetkarma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:23 PM
Guerzy
HFBoards Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holden Caulfield View Post
Sit on the floor infront of your seat.

09-21-2011, 08:15 PM
blues10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Hallenback View Post
I thought Bogo was probably asked to stretch his legs in the 2nd. He played really simple in the 1st so it makes sense they would want to see what he can do when he tries to open it up. Needless to say he made a few poor decisions but they guy clearly has the skill level needed to do it. Just needs to know when and when no to.

Postma had a solid game but his defending is a little weak. I actually thought he and Kulda made a fine pairing as Kulda was really safe and solid in his end. They would make a good bottom pairing right now.
What were Bogo's final numbers for +/- last night?

blues10 is offline   Reply With Quote