HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Steve Simmons (Toronto Sun): Flyers GM denies rumours about Richards, Carter trades

Old
09-21-2011, 04:44 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5500
Quote:
Originally Posted by VanSciver View Post
Santa Claus has nothing to do with it. Secondly, where exactly did I admit that I believe every word that comes out of their mouths? There seems to be an issue on this site of people taking statements completely out of context, and seeing what they want to see.

Sometimes when a GM says something, he's telling the truth. It was very obvious from the delivery, and in the precise words that he used, that is was a clear denial, and not a PR spin.
"precise words that he used"

Almost like "I'm going to make sure the words I use is what I want him to hear."

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:53 PM
VanSciver

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
"precise words that he used"

Almost like "I'm going to make sure the words I use is what I want him to hear."

No, in like I'm going to make this as clear as can be, so there is no doubt in what I'm saying.

VanSciver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:24 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Hockeypete49, ever a waste of time to read.

It was Paul Holmgren himself that made the guys drinking a story in the first place. Holmgren made a point of it in an interview with Wayne Fish, and THAT is when it became a story in the first place.
Very good point hence why I do not buy both snider's and Holmgren's categorical denials. It played a part its just how big of a part. Again snider himself just explained PART of their reasoning with the growth and consistency problem which does sound legit. Again you cant take either of them at face value that is all...they are telling half truths imo.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:29 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Very good point hence why I do not buy both snider's and Holmgren's categorical denials. It played a part its just how big of a part. Again snider himself just explained PART of their reasoning with the growth and consistency problem which does sound legit. Again you cant take either of them at face value that is all...they are telling half truths imo.
You can quibble about it's influence in the trade going down, but Holgren whining about the media making that part of the story is such horse **** it's pathetic. He's directly responsible for the chain of events that led to the poisoned relationship with the media.

It's as if the man has no idea of his own actions.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:26 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
You can quibble about it's influence in the trade going down, but Holgren whining about the media making that part of the story is such horse **** it's pathetic. He's directly responsible for the chain of events that led to the poisoned relationship with the media.

It's as if the man has no idea of his own actions.
Just like when Pronger was yelling at Giroux and the media heard Pronger but didn't know who he was yelling at. It went on in the media for a couple of days and then Homer told them when they didn't even ask that it was Claude who was being yelled at. Why do that? I'm not sure if he's really stupid, clueless or just a liar.

MsWoof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 06:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
you hear the leafs crew talking about the Philly media making the garbage up about Carter and Richards? they were talking about the trades and such and the reasons why they were dealt. they brought up the off ice issues, and one of em(forgot which one) said that wasnt the national media, that was the local media.
Even Holmgren knows the local Philly media is garbage.
RT @AnthonySan37: After that debacle that was #comcast using the #LeafsTV feed with announcers ripping Holmgren, you'd think they'd cancel Oh Canada tonight.

Not sure if I remember that the same way, but thought of this.

Old
09-21-2011, 06:59 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
RT @AnthonySan37: After that debacle that was #comcast using the #LeafsTV feed with announcers ripping Holmgren, you'd think they'd cancel Oh Canada tonight.

Not sure if I remember that the same way, but thought of this.
I didn't notice them ripping Homer. What they did say was they didn't believe the off ice stories and that the Philly media made things up. Makes me soooo proud knowing that other media people think the Philly media is moronic.

Old
09-21-2011, 07:08 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsWoof View Post
I didn't notice them ripping Homer. What they did say was they didn't believe the off ice stories and that the Philly media made things up. Makes me soooo proud knowing that other media people think the Philly media is moronic.
Yeah, I remember them taking shots at the media.

Old
09-21-2011, 08:46 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I didn't hear them rip the Philly media or say they made things up. They just said they don't like when things like that are brought up after the fact.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I didn't hear them rip the Philly media or say they made things up. They just said they don't like when things like that are brought up after the fact.
To clarify, what was said was that they don't like things said about a player without the facts. Which is mostly what happened this off season.

Old
09-21-2011, 08:51 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
So if Paul Holmgren came out and said he was Santa Claus, you would believe him. That's essentially what you're saying by admitting that you believe every word that comes out of their mouths, because the media just reports what they're told and have no agenda whatsoever.

Maybe someone from Canada can answer this for me, but how often does Steve Simmons report on anything Flyers? It can't be frequent, which might be why this is even a topic.
He is a Leafs reporter first and foremost. The thing is, even though talk of the trades has probably died down quite a bit in Philly, there is still mention of it up here on the sports radio stations. Guaranteed that tomorrow on TSN radio and the Fan 590, there will be jokes made about the Flyers' goaltending situation. Hockey talk is always big up here even during the summer but it's not like the tabloid journalism in Philly. I don't like Simmons but he's on TSN radio and TV a lot.

Old
09-21-2011, 08:59 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
He is a Leafs reporter first and foremost. The thing is, even though talk of the trades has probably died down quite a bit in Philly, there is still mention of it up here on the sports radio stations. Guaranteed that tomorrow on TSN radio and the Fan 590, there will be jokes made about the Flyers' goaltending situation. Hockey talk is always big up here even during the summer but it's not like the tabloid journalism in Philly. I don't like Simmons but he's on TSN radio and TV a lot.
TSN sticks him on Trade Deadline Day, don't they? Put him at a desk and tries to be Rick Reilly?

Old
09-21-2011, 09:10 PM
BernieParent

Quote:
Either Holmgren thinks everyone else is an idiot, or he's an idiot. Those are your choices.
I circle (c) All of the above. Then again, I am getting less and less interested in picking off this scab to see if it still bleeds.

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:31 PM
MsWoof

Quote:
TSN sticks him on Trade Deadline Day, don't they? Put him at a desk and tries to be Rick Reilly?
I don't think so, there are others who are way better than him that are on that show. He's on a Sunday morning show called The Reporters with Dave Hodge. Damian Cox used to be on it before he skipped over to Sportsnet. Now he's on TSN radio once a day as a call in interview.

Old
09-21-2011, 10:22 PM
97FlyersKing18

Just watched the first period of the Kings vs. Coyotes, it is surreal seeing Richards in that black Kings Jersey.

Tonight, he is playing with Dustin Brown and Brad Richardson (Gagne is a scratch) and looks very involved doing all the things Mike Richards does. He played solid PP and PK minutes plus the line had great pressure on their first few shifts.

I would have felt bad for Kings PbP if the line of Richardson-B. Richards- M. Richards somehow played together on the PP...Richards to Richardson back to Richards to Richards haha

97FlyersKing18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:02 AM
Jester

Quote:
Yeah, I remember them taking shots at the media.
They basically said it was moronic to make those trades.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:04 AM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

The Toronto media taking pot shots at the Philly media AND Flyers management....now that is moronic and ironic

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:16 AM
Jester

Quote:
The Toronto media taking pot shots at the Philly media AND Flyers management....now that is moronic and ironic
Toronto media is bad in it's own way.they aren't nearly as dumb as some of the folks down here.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:17 AM
Snipsnap12

Quote:
It's weird in preseason the toronto media will attack other teams, especially top notch teams like philly, and hype up the leafs.

Yet when the season starts they are the worst to nit pick

Last edited by Snipsnap12: 09-22-2011 at 12:23 AM.
Snipsnap12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:14 AM
panayiotis

injuries

Homer will never admit to trading damaged goods.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:22 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
Originally Posted by panayiotis View Post
Homer will never admit to trading damaged goods.

Players have to pass physicals when traded to another team.

Old
09-23-2011, 12:26 AM
panayiotis

medical history

look at Carter and Richards list of injuries and the number of years left on deals and upcoming no-trade clauses. And you got the biggest reason why players were dealt.

panayiotis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-23-2011, 06:45 AM
VanSciver

Quote:
look at Carter and Richards list of injuries and the number of years left on deals and upcoming no-trade clauses. And you got the biggest reason why players were dealt.

Their contracts and impending no trade clauses were definitely a factor. The players were not damaged goods.

Old
09-23-2011, 06:51 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
Oh brother. Name me one player who hasn't been injured at some point in his career.

Old
09-23-2011, 06:58 AM
MsWoof

Quote:
I can tell you that living in Toronto and being a Flyer fan, the media in Philly is way worse than the media here. There is a total lack of professionalism in Philly and they feel that they should be the centre of stories. They also never call out Homer or Snider, it's like they're scared of them. Same goes for Pronger, they all think it's so cool that he makes fun of them, it's a strange and pathetic thing. Up here, if Burke makes a trade they will dissect the hell out of it and will criticize it if they think it's bad but for the most part they're respectful.

I also have never seen any of them call a player or anyone in the game names like Panaccio called Byfuglien a big blob on Twitter.