HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Rangers Lose First Pre-Season Game in OT

Old
09-21-2011, 09:35 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

vCash: 500
Rangers Lose First Pre-Season Game in OT

The Rangers had a familiar problem tonight, creating offense, and it wound up costing them a 2-1 overtime loss against the Devils in Albany. To be fair, the Rangers top line was not in Albany. Nor were Derek Stepan or Ryan Callahan. And it did seem that New York’s brass wanted to look at some [...]

More...

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:38 PM
Vitto79

so how many cuts are expected by Fridays game?

Avery did well. He should stick. EC stinks but is cheaper on the cap. Zuccarello still needs to impress Friday to help keep his apparent spot to lose.

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Punxrocknyc19*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vitto79 View Post
so how many cuts are expected by Fridays game?

Avery did well. He should stick. EC stinks but is cheaper on the cap. Zuccarello still needs to impress Friday to help keep his apparent spot to lose.
McColgan reminds me a little of Marchand. not as skilled but gritty and goes to the net and can skate..I think Miller should get a few games in the regular season before he gets send back to juniors. he has played well against NHL players tonight. i know it wont happen but Miller should be on the team over EC.

Punxrocknyc19* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:45 PM
beastly115

Good analysis. I agree with pretty much all of your assessments. Also interested to find out how many players will be cut between now and Friday's game.

beastly115 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:57 PM
Vitto79

cant they simply "loan" players for the AHL game?..........Newbury, Mitchell, Weise, Thuresson, Bourque, Miller, Yogan, Kolarik, Hagelin are all eligible for the AHL so should be allowed to play.

Then whoever they want comes back up before final decisions are made

Vitto79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:09 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaQUp View Post
Good analysis. I agree with pretty much all of your assessments. Also interested to find out how many players will be cut between now and Friday's game.
I don't believe that anyone will be cut before Friday's game. Announcement will be either Friday night or Saturday morn.

Old
09-21-2011, 10:42 PM
KreiMeARiver*
Have Confidence

I don't really see a point to making any sort of comment on the team after one game with a bunch of teenagers in the lineup against almost a full Devil's squad.

JT Miller is impressive... that's what I took from the game.

KreiMeARiver* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:44 PM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
The Rangers had a familiar problem tonight, creating offense, and it wound up costing them a 2-1 overtime loss against the Devils in Albany. To be fair, the Rangers top line was not in Albany. Nor were Derek Stepan or Ryan Callahan. And it did seem that New York’s brass wanted to look at some [...]

More...
Leslie, not sure if you will be posting these blog updates during the regular season, but many of us would appreciate it if you did not put a spoiler in the thread title. That said, as always, thanks for the info.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Kovalev27
BEST IN THE WORLD

How could you say eminger was solid no real mistakes when he was responsible for both goals tonight the game winner being a horrific turnover in the slot?

Kovalev27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:57 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

its really tough to make any assessments after this game. the Rangers were only icing 4 guys who will sure fire have spots on their team this season...Dubi, Girardi, AA, and Lundqvist (for half the game)...starting goalie, 1 defenseman, and 2 2nd line players....hardly a fair matchup against Elias, Parise, Kovalchuk, Volchenkov, Talinder, Clarkson, etc, etc, etc

like 70% of the Devils will be in the opening night roster....probably only 6 guys MAX tonight will be regulars on the team....thats Avery, Erixon, Girardi, Dubi, AA, and Henrik...with EC as a backup player.

frankly, if the rangers had as many regulars as the Devils had, we woulda effing killed em...they didnt impress me whatsoever, frankly their inability to bury such a substandard opponent was shocking

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:07 PM
Brooklyn Ranger

Thanks Leslie--was interested to see your comments about Bell. Most people assumed he was signed for the Pack, but I have wondered about that-especially given the lack of NHL experience beyond Staal and Girardi.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:36 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Thanks Leslie--was interested to see your comments about Bell. Most people assumed he was signed for the Pack, but I have wondered about that-especially given the lack of NHL experience beyond Staal and Girardi.
I thought Rangerboy had posted when he was signed that the team would have limited/no cap flexibility if he made the big club. I may be mistaken on that though.

nyranger61494 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:37 PM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
How could you say eminger was solid no real mistakes when he was responsible for both goals tonight the game winner being a horrific turnover in the slot?
He was good but you're absolutely right. Janssens knocked him off the puck leading to the 1st goal and was obviously at fault for the 2nd.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:57 AM
Brooklyn Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyranger61494 View Post
I thought Rangerboy had posted when he was signed that the team would have limited/no cap flexibility if he made the big club. I may be mistaken on that though.
Nope, just checked that thread (bell was signed 8/9) and there is no mention in any post about cap issues. In fact, neither capgeek.com nor outsidethegarden.com have a salary listed for Bell. And given the fact that he didn't play in North America last year and last played in the NHL during the 2008-9 season I doubt that his salary would be a major issue.

Brooklyn Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:33 AM
eco's bones

Bell looks like a reasonable option but I'm not sure I'd call him an NHL vet. He's got just about one season + of NHL experience.

Miller looked very good--strong along the boards--made a couple very nice plays. McIlrath had a good night as well. Solid in his own end. Was good with the puck--don't recall him making any bad passes. I like McColgan. Weise had a good game. Not a particularly good fight but he used his size and finished on the goal nicely. Erixon, Hagelin played well too. Mitchell would be a decent call up addition.

The one guy though that impressed me the most was Talbot. He looked real good. Like challenge Biron for backup goalie good.

The Devils lineup was a lot stronger than ours so IMO a lot of our youngsters did well.

eco's bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:45 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kovalev27 View Post
I looked and looked and don't see where I said Eminger was solid. Did I miss something?

Old
09-22-2011, 03:47 AM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

Quote:
Originally Posted by broadwayblue View Post
Leslie, not sure if you will be posting these blog updates during the regular season, but many of us would appreciate it if you did not put a spoiler in the thread title. That said, as always, thanks for the info.
Is this the general consensus here? Usually, journalism rules require me to do this. I was planning on doing more blog entries this year, so lets work this out together so you guys get what you need.

Old
09-22-2011, 05:03 AM
mike14

Not that I care one way or another, but is talking about the result of a Rangers game, on a Rangers board, after it's over really a spoiler?

mike14 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:24 AM
Zuccarello Awesome*

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike14 View Post
Not that I care one way or another, but is talking about the result of a Rangers game, on a Rangers board, after it's over really a spoiler?
Agreed. I know where he was comin from because a lot of people often DVR the games and watch them later on after class/work etc. and I suppose they don't view the GDT as to not spoil the outcome. But I'm not sure why they'd need to be on hf, viewing the thread titles at all then, lol.

Zuccarello Awesome* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:05 AM
WeWillWinTonight

Your not writing a movie review so honestly you can call the title whatever you please in my opinion.

And I was actually hoping you continued with your write ups through the season because I seem to agree with most of your opinions. Keep up the good work

WeWillWinTonight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:15 AM
nyranger61494
YNWA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger View Post
Nope, just checked that thread (bell was signed 8/9) and there is no mention in any post about cap issues. In fact, neither capgeek.com nor outsidethegarden.com have a salary listed for Bell. And given the fact that he didn't play in North America last year and last played in the NHL during the 2008-9 season I doubt that his salary would be a major issue.
Apologies. Just went back and checked myself. Thought the conversation had been that it would be a cap issue but instead, was that Bell just is not good enough. He looked decent last night.

Old
09-22-2011, 07:34 AM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Is this the general consensus here? Usually, journalism rules require me to do this. I was planning on doing more blog entries this year, so lets work this out together so you guys get what you need.
Leslie, you are posting a recap. If someone hasn't seen the game or doesn't know the final score they shouldn't complain if they are posting. I don't read the board until I know the outcome.

My vote is for you to continue to do your excellent work and do not deviate.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:53 AM
Jeds2StepOpus

Quote:
I have no idea what that other guy is talking about. Spoilers? He certainly doesn't speak for me. I have no idea who this "many of us" crowd is.

Just do what you have been doing.

He didn't watch the game? Doesn't know the results? Well, that's his problem. he should refrain from going on a Rangers forum after the game is over, if he doesn't want to get 'Spoilers". I mean....seriously, that's common sense.

Jeds2StepOpus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:34 AM
mullichicken25

my thoughts:
- nobody really stood out, good moments and bad moments for nearly everyone out there
- hagelin and thomas looked like good hoceky players who were just in a little over their head last night
- erixon looked surprisingly slow and hesitant out there, but got better as the game went on
- Mcilrath looked like he's going to be a force some day, however, he's still got a ways to go
- del zotto looked meh...and the fact that emminger played pretty bad didnt help his cause

i know its very very early but i haven't seen anyone that appears to bring more than MZA for the 3rd line wing spot...we'll see how things progress

mullichicken25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:37 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orr Nightmare View Post
Leslie, you are posting a recap. If someone hasn't seen the game or doesn't know the final score they shouldn't complain if they are posting. I don't read the board until I know the outcome.

My vote is for you to continue to do your excellent work and do not deviate.
I agree; I mean you should pretty much know that this is not the place to come if you've taped the game and not watched it yet. I tend to avoid any sports sites in general when I do that.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote