HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomáš Hyka (returned to his junior club, Gatineau, Sept. 22)

Old
09-21-2011, 08:22 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

vCash: 500
Tomáš Hyka (returned to his junior club, Gatineau, Sept. 22)

Does anyone know what the status of Hyka is? As I understand it, he's on a tryout with the Flyers, but I had read that he was cut a couple of days ago.

I see he's playing tonight, however.

Your QMJHL farm team is missing him.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-24-2011 at 12:21 PM.
Taoiseach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:24 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
He'll get signed to an entry-level contract, and then be returned to Gatineau, probably later this week.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:25 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Supposedly there was miscommunication between Homer and who was to be cut and how wasnt. I guess they assumed all the 18-19 yr olds were to be cut/sent down except Couturier.

Homer called him when he was on his way to the airport to come back and he wasnt cut.

Here is the good read about it:

http://anthonysintheroom.blogspot.co...d-lead-to.html

Quote:
When Tomas Hyka makes it to the NHL, he'll have a funny story to tell about his road getting there.

Hyka was announced as one of 15 training camp cuts by the Flyers Monday. He was slated to be returned to Gatineau of the QMJHL, his junior team and preseumably, since he had joined the Flyers in camp as an undrafted free agent on an amateur tryout contract, would end up going unsigned before the October 1 deadline and then be eligible for the 2012 draft.

Hyka packed up his gear and was in a car on the way to the airport to fly back to Gatineau to start working out with the Olympiques when his phone rang. It was Flyers G.M. Paul Holmgren.

Holmgren told Hyka there was a mistake and that he wasn't waived. He should report back to the Flyers.

Meanwhile, nobody bothered to explain this to Gatineau, and the Olympiques coach Ben Groulx was confused that Hyka hadn't returned for practice Wednesday morning as expected.

Instead, Hyka was in the Flyers lineup at Wells Fargo Center against the Toronto Maple Leafs, playing wing alongside Claude Giroux, who starred at Gatineau before making the leap to the NHL.

Last edited by MiamiScreamingEagles: 09-21-2011 at 08:43 PM.
sa cyred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:29 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
He'll get signed to an entry-level contract, and then be returned to Gatineau, probably later this week.
Oh good.

Any chance he's back in Hull for Friday night?

Old
09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 5888
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taoiseach View Post
Oh good.

Any chance he's back in Hull for Friday night?
If he's not sent back by tomorrow, he might play again on Friday.

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
Crap, the way we've been playing, Benoît Groulx couldn't have been too pleased...

Quote:
Instead, Hyka was in the Flyers lineup at Wells Fargo Center against the Toronto Maple Leafs, playing wing alongside Claude Giroux, who starred at Gatineau before making the leap to the NHL.

Seriously though, trade somebody to Calgary for Paul Byron, and somebody to Carolina for Matthew Pistilli and reunite THAT line!

Old
09-21-2011, 08:35 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
If he's not sent back by tomorrow, he might play again on Friday.
I will keep an eye out!

Old
09-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
So the Flyers thought he was worth a 3rd or 4th round pick but thought an unskilled goon was worth a pick over him? It worked out in the end but that doesn't make sense.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:05 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
So the Flyers thought he was worth a 3rd or 4th round pick but thought an unskilled goon was worth a pick over him? It worked out in the end but that doesn't make sense.
I agree with you to a point, but when you get to the end of the draft, I think it is easier to pick guys with size. In most cases you can develop a skill guys that you get early in the draft, but the hopes of a late rounder is kind of small, and you can't teach size, so you pick kids who already have NHL size bodies and hope they pan out to be depth players.

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:29 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
I agree with you to a point, but when you get to the end of the draft, I think it is easier to pick guys with size. In most cases you can develop a skill guys that you get early in the draft, but the hopes of a late rounder is kind of small, and you can't teach size, so you pick kids who already have NHL size bodies and hope they pan out to be depth players.
Yeah, but what good is someone with size who has no skill? Everyone is a long shot at that point, but I'd go with the undersized skill player and hope they'd eventually grow into their body. I think that is a more likely outcome than someone who finishes with 5 points in junior suddenly becoming skilled enough for the best league in the world. Not to mention unskilled goons are dime a dozen, but skill is harder to find and is costly to obtain.

Old
09-21-2011, 09:44 PM
Taoiseach
Go Hull Go!

Oh, another thought I just had about Les Olympiques de Philadelphia, How is Tye McGinn doing?

Old
09-21-2011, 10:35 PM
luby3131

Unbelievable that the Flyers were able to pull this guy out of nowhere. The scouts in Philly deserve a raise for all the gems they keep finding. Bobrovsky, Holmstrom, Gustafsson, Read, Ranford, and now this guy? Just a great job by the scouts.

luby3131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:37 PM
JVR21
G

Quote:
Originally Posted by luby3131 View Post
Unbelievable that the Flyers were able to pull this guy out of nowhere. The scouts in Philly deserve a raise for all the gems they keep finding. Bobrovsky, Holmstrom, Gustafsson, Read, Ranford, and now this guy? Just a great job by the scouts.
Akeson

JVR21 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:04 PM
Haute Couturier

So according to Broad Street Hockey the CBA may prohibit the Flyers from signing Hyka.

Quote:
Hyka played in Europe -- outside of North America -- for all of last year, and according to this part of the CBA, he's ineligible to play in the NHL this season. If he was drafted, this would obviously be a different story. But because he played in Europe last year, was passed over in the draft and isn't 22 years old, it doesn't appear to us as though an NHL team can sign him to a contract. We can't find any other section in the CBA that would counter this notion.
http://www.broadstreethockey.com/201...lyers-contract

If this is true this makes that Mathers pick look even more awful.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:13 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
So according to Broad Street Hockey the CBA may prohibit the Flyers from signing Hyka.

But see, one thing that they are ASSUMING is that not being able to play in the NHL and not getting a contract are the same thing. I dont think that is totally true. I almost want to ask the main board.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
But see, one thing that they are ASSUMING is that not being able to play in the NHL and not getting a contract are the same thing. I dont think that is totally true. I almost want to ask the main board.
It sounds like a reasonable assumption, but it would be interesting to hear what the main board says.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:27 PM
BernieParent

The initial confusion probably stemmed from Holmgren misunderstanding being told by Laviolette that he should take a Hyka.

Sorry!

BernieParent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:27 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Very intriguing player but seriously...wow...he's only a buck 58 in lbs....seriously needs some more weight. Fast little dude though...maybe a Koivu type...

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:28 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
It sounds like a reasonable assumption, but it would be interesting to hear what the main board says.
Honestly, if this does happen, this goes to show Homer doesnt know what he was doing. Unless they just want him to get exposure and to attend a NHL camp and preseason games , which I find is stupid to give to someone that cant be on the team.

Old
09-21-2011, 11:34 PM
BleedOrange
BuildThroughTheDraft

He will be signed to a ELC im sure they didnt bring him here without checking .......

BleedOrange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 11:42 PM
sobrien
RAFFLCOPTER

Quote:

We had to meet the enforcer quota. Skill comes later.

sobrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:45 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Honestly, if this does happen, this goes to show Homer doesnt know what he was doing. Unless they just want him to get exposure and to attend a NHL camp and preseason games , which I find is stupid to give to someone that cant be on the team.
They are definitely interested in signing him because SanFilippo's blog says they wanted to see him play before deciding on offering him an ELC. It's beyond embarrassing that they don't know the CBA and have no clue that they can't sign him. What's worse is they thought a kid with 5 points was more worthy of a pick.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:50 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by flountown View Post
It makes zero sense to pass on what you thinks 3rd rd talent in the 7th rd for 7th rd talent. Literally zero.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:55 AM
DeflatedFootball7

No offense to BSH, but I'm sure that the staff know more about this then they do. Otherwise he would be back in the QMJHL already. Still it is a bit dicomforting...

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:56 AM
Jester

Quote:
They are definitely interested in signing him because SanFilippo's blog says they wanted to see him play before deciding on offering him an ELC. It's beyond embarrassing that they don't know the CBA and have no clue that they can't sign him. What's worse is they thought a kid with 5 points was more worthy of a pick.
Are you really shocked anymore?

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote