HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomáš Hyka (returned to his junior club, Gatineau, Sept. 22)

Old
09-22-2011, 02:13 AM
Haute Couturier

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeflatedFootball7 View Post
No offense to BSH, but I'm sure that the staff know more about this then they do. Otherwise he would be back in the QMJHL already. Still it is a bit dicomforting...
Didn't the Flyers find out Bartulis was waivers eligible from a blogger (Meltzer?) last year? They also did not understand the 35+ contract rule when they signed Pronger. So at this point I tend to believe BSH is correct.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
Are you really shocked anymore?
I probably shouldn't be, but I am. This one takes the cake for me. They somehow forgot Hyka until the 7th round even though they deemed him a potential 3rd round talent. Then they decide a 100% waste of a pick was somehow worthy of being drafted over a potential 3rd round talent. They were banking on being able to sign Hyka as a UFA, but it turns out they can't and are completely unaware of that. Then there is the little comedy of cutting the kid only to say oops I didn't mean it. How can they screw up so badly with one prospect?

To add insult to injury Mathers likely wouldn't have been drafted so if they had done the right thing and drafted Hyka they could've signed Mathers as a UFA if they were so in love with his lack of skill. Idiots are in charge of this team.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:18 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Don't forget that while you all believe the organization to be incompetent, they could just be liars.

Did they skip drafting him because they thought he would be a free agent? Not likely since Mathers would've become a free agent as well.

The truth of the matter is probably that at the time of the draft, teams were likely unsure whether or not Hyka was really committed to the NHL. The Flyers would've been no different. Since bringing him in, they've changed their minds.

That said, I like Hyka. I'd like to see him become a prospect. That goal celebration was freaking awesome.

BUT, he's not some all-world kid. Let's not overhype another kid at camp.

Didn't some of you guys hype the crap out of Sinisalo's son just a bit ago?

On that note, please find some loophole to correct this situation Holmgren.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:28 AM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Don't forget that while you all believe the organization to be incompetent, they could just be liars.

Did they skip drafting him because they thought he would be a free agent? Not likely since Mathers would've become a free agent as well.

The truth of the matter is probably that at the time of the draft, teams were likely unsure whether or not Hyka was really committed to the NHL. The Flyers would've been no different. Since bringing him in, they've changed their minds.

That said, I like Hyka. I'd like to see him become a prospect. That goal celebration was freaking awesome.

BUT, he's not some all-world kid. Let's not overhype another kid at camp.

Didn't some of you guys hype the crap out of Sinisalo's son just a bit ago?

On that note, please find some loophole to correct this situation Holmgren.
So in your mind they didn't draft him because they weren't sure he'd come over so they decided to lie and make themselves look like fools for choosing a kid with no shot to make it over him? Okay...

No one is hyping up Hyka to be anything. It's just crazy they have a prospect they like and botched it up so badly all because refuse to realize the 70's were 40 years ago.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:58 AM
DeflatedFootball7

My biggest hope is that they find a loophole to sign him. If not it's gonna be a painful wait till the draft...

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:01 AM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
So in your mind they didn't draft him because they weren't sure he'd come over so they decided to lie and make themselves look like fools for choosing a kid with no shot to make it over him? Okay...
Actually, in my mind, no.

In my mind, I don't know what to think, but I do realize that there isn't always only one way to see things.

I was throwing out a possible and plausible alternative scenario.

And who do they look like fools to? 50 people chatting up an internet forum? Yes, perhaps the largest in the NHL world, but not even everyone on this board cares. How is the rest of the unknowing Philadelphia Flyerdom supposed to care?

Also, I'd like to see how this all unfolds before I jump to any conclusions. Some of the members of this board are so quick to throw around a ritualistic stomp down on Holmgren's neck for every minor catastrophe. Sometimes they aren't even catastrophes outside of the minds of the people who run around here like they know more than Holmgren.

It's possible he botched this. It's also possible he didn't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
No one is hyping up Hyka to be anything. It's just crazy they have a prospect they like and botched it up so badly all because refuse to realize the 70's were 40 years ago.
Believe it or not, prospects not wanting to play in North America and instead holding out for more money/more playing time overseas is a very real thing.

In fact, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that players choosing to develop overseas has probably ruined quite a few potentially solid NHLers.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:17 AM
BringBackStevens

Wow, that's embarassing

BringBackStevens is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:17 AM
ilovetheflyers8

LEIfey you could ask over on the business boards, or contact capgeek and ask them.

ilovetheflyers8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:31 AM
Doyle

Whirlwind Few Days for Hyka; Suspension for Shelley?
http://nhlhotstove.com/whirlwind-few...n-for-shelley/

Doyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:36 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Didn't Sergie Bobrovsky fall under the same rules technically that BSH posted? We still signed him as a 21 yr old undrafted FA who played in the KHL the year before.

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:56 AM
J17 Vs Proclamation

Send a message via MSN to J17 Vs Proclamation
Quote:
Actually, in my mind, no.

In my mind, I don't know what to think, but I do realize that there isn't always only one way to see things.

I was throwing out a possible and plausible alternative scenario.

And who do they look like fools to? 50 people chatting up an internet forum? Yes, perhaps the largest in the NHL world, but not even everyone on this board cares. How is the rest of the unknowing Philadelphia Flyerdom supposed to care?

Also, I'd like to see how this all unfolds before I jump to any conclusions. Some of the members of this board are so quick to throw around a ritualistic stomp down on Holmgren's neck for every minor catastrophe. Sometimes they aren't even catastrophes outside of the minds of the people who run around here like they know more than Holmgren.

It's possible he botched this. It's also possible he didn't.
Just because we are "internet guys" doesn't mean we can't logically deduce that someone or something who is deemed to be more important and intelligent than us, is wrong. It doesn't matter how big or small the decision may be, it is still open to criticism if the process is poorly executed. Who cares if most people don't care ; assuming this process was poorly executed we are still entitled to criticise and be annoyed.

Quote:
Believe it or not, prospects not wanting to play in North America and instead holding out for more money/more playing time overseas is a very real thing.

In fact, I'd be remiss if I didn't tell you that players choosing to develop overseas has probably ruined quite a few potentially solid NHLers.
Yes, it is a very real thing, but we are discussing a mid level 18 yr old prospect here. He hasn't played a full season of professional hockey yet, and likely wasn't interviewed or followed closely by many teams at all. He likely hasn't developed a sense of what he wants in the long-term. I don't agree with teams who make prospects come to North America at 18, because i don't think it's statistically the best route to take, but i imagine Hyka and many other similar prospects who jump through the rings to go to NA if an NHL team showed interest. We aren't discussing a top European prospect here who really doesn't have to siginficantly care what his NHL team wants him to do, because he's talented enough the team will listen.

J17 Vs Proclamation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:37 AM
Jester

Shafer to Homers defense yet again. Shocking.

Even if they are liars, they could probably think up a lie that doesn't make them sound like idiots. Granted, I will buy that we are dealing with some idiots that are lying.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:42 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

vCash: 1045
RT @billmeltzer: OK... so there's the answer. CBA enforced to prevent Flyers from signing Hyka. Good work by BSH on this one.

RT @tpanotchCSN: Tomas Hyka will be returned to his junior club - Gatineau _ this morning. Flyers CANT sign him. He goes into 2012 Draft

As it appears - yet again - YES, Broad Street Hockey does know more than Paul Holmgren and his vaunted Joe Banner-less genius crew that have supposedly nailed down the finer points of the CBA, since they're paid professionals and all...

Good thing this was figured out AFTER we put him on the ice, and gave 29 other teams game footage of him not looking terribly out of place with NHL competition, all because they forgot his name in the middle of the draft, and by the time they found him, they settled on making sure they had another goon in their possession.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:43 AM
Haute Couturier

Panotch confirms it.

Quote:
tpanotchCSN Tim Panaccio
Tomas Hyka will be returned to his junior club - Gatineau _ this morning. Flyers CANT sign him. He goes into 2012 Draft

Old
09-22-2011, 09:58 AM
Jester

Let this be a lesson to everyone.

This team is run by fools that don't know the CBA.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:59 AM
dingbathero
No Jam? How about PB

it is what it is. the proof is in the pudding. what can you do.

dingbathero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:06 AM
dbr2
Lockout Beard

Send a message via AIM to dbr2
Quote:

Pretty much. But if you and I didn't know rules at our job, we would probably be fired.

dbr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbr2 View Post
Pretty much. But if you and I didn't know rules at our job, we would probably be fired.
It's ok, the Flyers can let small oversights of the Collective Bargaining Agreement pass by as they count their millions of dollars.

This also represents that the Flyers still have vast philosophical flaws. They "forgot" about him, and when he came back to the top, they decided to draft a goon ahead of him. It would have been forgiven scorn if they would have been able to sign him.

Maybe whoever told Hyka to go back to Gatineau the first time, did so because he knew what the hell he was doing.

Or maybe they would have remembered to draft him in the 3rd round if they didn't keep trading draft picks in June for impending free agents.

Let's all sit back and wait for Timmy to get a soundbite from Holmgren with something to the tune of "we knew about this, but we just wanted to further evaluate him for next year."

Old
09-22-2011, 10:33 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:

And about 90% of the NHL wish these "fools" were running their clubs ?They make mistakes and step all over themselves etc.....But they are very effective at putting a good competitive club on the ice at a pretty consistent level. I like Homer and companies overall body of work.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:35 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
And about 90% of the NHL wish these "fools" were running their clubs ?They make mistakes and step all over themselves etc.....But they are very effective at putting a good competitive club on the ice at a pretty consistent level. I like Homer and companies overall body of work.
What I find funny is that a professional club's management team continuously not knowing the rules from the CBA. Example: The 35+ contract rule.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:36 AM
BillDineen

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
It's ok, the Flyers can let small oversights of the Collective Bargaining Agreement pass by as they count their millions of dollars.

This also represents that the Flyers still have vast philosophical flaws. They "forgot" about him, and when he came back to the top, they decided to draft a goon ahead of him. It would have been forgiven scorn if they would have been able to sign him.

Maybe whoever told Hyka to go back to Gatineau the first time, did so because he knew what the hell he was doing.

Or maybe they would have remembered to draft him in the 3rd round if they didn't keep trading draft picks in June for impending free agents.

Let's all sit back and wait for Timmy to get a soundbite from Holmgren with something to the tune of "we knew about this, but we just wanted to further evaluate him for next year."
7 206 Philadelphia Derek Mathers R Peterborough Petes [OHL]
7 207 Washington Garrett Haar D Fargo Force [USHL]
7 208 Tampa Bay Ondrej Palat L Drummondville Voltigeurs [QMJHL]
7 209 Pittsburgh Scott Wilson F Georgetown Raiders [OJHL]
7 210 Vancouver Henrik Tommernes D Vastra Frolunda HC [SEL]
7 211 Chicago Johan Mattsson Sodertalje Jr. [Sweden]

I guess the flyers didn't want to risk one of the 5 remaining teams taking Mathers. Maybe they had Hyka rated to go in round 3-4, but they had Mathers pegged as a late first rounder, early second at the lattest!

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:39 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Also consider that fighters are more readily available by being undrafted than those with "3rd or 4th round value"

Old
09-22-2011, 10:39 AM
PuckBoy33

Didn't like the kid anyway.

Seemed to be an arrogant little snot. Did he really have to do the "let me hear you" gesture after scoring that goal last night. Makes Malkin look humble by comparison with regard to goal celebrations.

PuckBoy33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:44 AM
sa cyred
Offseason...

Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
Seemed to be an arrogant little snot. Did he really have to do the "let me hear you" gesture after scoring that goal last night. Makes Malkin look humble by comparison with regard to goal celebrations.
He just scored his first goal in the NHL.... you wouldnt be happy? But dont worry. This team will go out and every year draft a ****ing goon.

Damn...

Old
09-22-2011, 10:46 AM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtJoseph View Post
90%, huh?

We haven't won a championship in almost 40 years. Of course, not every team has the financial resources that these fools have to work with.

At the end of the day they have proven yet again that they do not know the rules that govern their job. If you continuously messed up at your job out of simple ignorance, would you still be employed?

Old
09-22-2011, 10:49 AM
LEIFey
Context Matters!

Send a message via AIM to LEIFey
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuckBoy33 View Post
Really? Who the heck cares? He scored and was happy and made a harmless gesture. It's not like he spit on the Leafs bench or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovetheflyers8 View Post
LEIfey you could ask over on the business boards, or contact capgeek and ask them.
Think you have me mixed up with someone else. I'm only rarely on the business boards.

If we don't sign him, he does go back into the draft, so we can skip out on him again

LEIFey is online now   Reply With Quote