HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

David Desharnais

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2011, 07:54 AM
Zorro

vCash: 500
David Desharnais

Hey guys,

Do you guys think heíll be playing 2nd line duties this year? A co-worker (sens fan) and I always argue about him, obviously me being high on DD and him not so much. I predict a 40-45pt season, while he thinks low 30ís @ most.

After seeing him play last night, thereís no doubt that this guy has incredible vision. The only thing that still kind of bothers me is that while he battles very hard for the puck, he still sometimes gets shoved around like a 12 year old girl.

I would like to get a global point of view of peopleís expectations of DD. Do people see him as 50-60pt guy? More of a 2-way player?

Basically just want to hear peopleís opinion on him.

Thanks!

Old
09-22-2011, 08:07 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
I don't think he will be playing in the top 6 unless of injuries. He might see some PP time from time to time. Something in between 30-40 pts seems fair and that's of course him having a good year

Old
09-22-2011, 08:09 AM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

I think he is better suited as a 3rd liner that gets PP and PK time. Top 6 means tougher matchups against guys like Chara Regyr and co

Old
09-22-2011, 08:10 AM
Gabe84
Bring back Bonk!

I thought he looked strong along the boards during the game last night. I don't see why he couldn't play against the "big boys". He'll be fine.

I think he is very talented and underrated by our fanbase.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:14 AM
Boris Le Tigre
~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

DD has chops. He seems to produce no matter what. Until there is any indicatin otherwise it seems likely he will continue to overachieve. I don't doubt he can get 40-45 this year.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:21 AM
llamateizer

30 points seems good to me

We have Gomez, Gionta, Camalleri, Cole, AK, Plekanec, MaxPac in front of him

unless 2-3 key injuries, I doubt he'll play 2nd line

Old
09-22-2011, 08:24 AM
LyricalLyricist

vCash: 152
Thing about dd is even when he's cornered or pushed on the rush he doesn't seem to give up on play and can still find the open man. Hes no Gretzky but under right conditions 40 PTS is reasonable.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:27 AM
habs03
Subban #Thoroughbred

I like DD, but while he is better playing C, moving him to LW is going to be best for the team. He isn't strong enough down the middle, and specially on face-offs.

The funny thing is I don't find DD to be fast, and he doesn't seem to be that strong (compared to guys like Gionta), but man his hockey IQ is soo high that he just makes plays.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:47 AM
ClasslessGuy

vCash: 50
DD playing like yesterday during top 6 minutes for 82 games all with top 6 players and some PP time = arround 45 pts but that a lot of if

Old
09-22-2011, 08:51 AM
Habs Icing
Formerly Onice

I think the best place for DD is on the third line with Eller & AK. they're two big physical players and will compensate for his lack of size.

I doubt Martin will move him into Gomez's slot no matter how badly he will play and I have a feeling Gomez will play very badly. There's too much politics involved so DD will stay on the third line.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:54 AM
alexstream

i don't like him at center at all. Was always losing the puck yesterday. however, when he was used on the wings in the playoffs, he looked ok.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:56 AM
ThaDevilGirl

He might be good but he needs to get much stronger to withstand the board battles against top line players and defenders.

Old
09-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Shawn Wilken
Hockey's Future Staff
@CrimsonSkorpion

vCash: 50
Awards:
Playing on the third line with Eller and Kostitsyn is a much better option. That line is going to eat up third pairing defenseman and hold up top line offense. I agree Desharnais needs to get stronger in certain areas, but he is quicker and more agile from what we saw last night. Unless there are injuries, Desharnais should remain on the third line.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:12 AM
WestIslander

I love Desharnais will to work hard and his chemistry with Pacioretty, believe it or not, I would go with the following lines this season:

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Kostitsyn
Cole - Gomez - Gionta
Pacioretty - Eller - Desharnais
Darche - White - Moen

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Yemelin

Price
Budaj

Extras: Trotter, Blunden, Weber and Diaz

If Gomez plays like **** through to game #21 or (25% of the season):

Cammalleri - Plekanec - Cole
Pacioretty - Desharnais - Gionta
Kostitsyn - Gomez - Eller
Darche - White - Moen

Markov - Gorges
Gill - Subban
Spacek - Yemelin

Price
Budaj

Extras: Trotter, Blunden, Weber and Diaz

Old
09-22-2011, 09:24 AM
windycity

Desharnais' parents should have done what Messi's parents did and put him on growth hormones when he was young

maybe it's not too late?

Old
09-22-2011, 09:46 AM
PricePkPatch*

DD will be more than fine. The fact we argue on whether or not he should be Winger or Center is a nice testament to his well-rounded skills.

He might get shoved around a lot, but even when he is, he often manage to end up with the puck. The guy is USED to fight and beat bigger, stronger opponents. For hell's sake, he managed to school Chara in a puck battle on the PK during game 4!

Yes, strength and speed are important. But DD spent years developing ways to compensate in other areas.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:48 AM
McTusk

I know it was only one exhibition game so far, but overall he already looked a little better last night. Can't wait to see how his season materializes. As much as I would love the Habs to get bigger he is a hard player not to route for.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:11 AM
Joe Cole

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabe84 View Post
I thought he looked strong along the boards during the game last night. I don't see why he couldn't play against the "big boys". He'll be fine.

I think he is very talented and underrated by our fanbase.
100% disagree.

The fact that he got a second star last night regardless if he constantly coughed up the puck and lost pretty much every battle along the boards is a CLEAR indication that he is NOT under rated by the fans, and especially not the media.

When he has open ice, he is very creativewith the puck, great vision.

When a player is near him it is a turn over. This he showed last year and again last night.

I totally understand the whole underdog love, but the projections he is getting by fans sound like what his Mom would say.

Hey, I hope he plays Gomez right off the roster, but his play in traffic has not convinced me yet.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:17 AM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

If he plays on the 3rd line with Kostitsyn and Eller all season, and those guys all play the season they're supposed to, there's no doubt in my mind that he'll get 40+ points. He's so smart with the puck and he's so consistent that it wouldn't make sense for him to get any less. Especially if he gets PP time.

Honestly, if Gomez goes down I could see him being the 2nd line center. He's plays a bit liek Grabovski did when he started with us, except he has no problems. If he keeps getting chances to play on the top lines he'll end up beign a better player than Garabovski, no doubt about it.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:29 AM
Zorro

Thanks for the inputs guys!

I know this is bold, but can anyone see him becoming a St. Louis? I just donít think itís unreasonable to assume that he could one day be putting points at the same rate as St. Louis.

St. Louisí 1st significant season (Ď99/í00) was at the age of 24, where he got 18 pts, and then the next season (w/Tampa) where he played 78 games, he got 40pts. He didnít explode until the 02-03 season with 70pts. Now I think we can certainly draw some parallels between St. Louisí path and the one DD is following.

However there is one difference and that is the fact that St. Louis was given a superstar (at the time ) line mate, named Lecavalier.

Now do you guys think that DD, can one day become a sort of ĎSt.Louisí without that superstar next to him or at all?

Old
09-22-2011, 10:38 AM
neofury*

I think by 2015 he'll be a 90-100pt guy.

PS welcome to the forum.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:42 AM
Zorro

i'm definetely prepared to receive that type of answer...thanks for the welcome!

Old
09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
overlords
#BargainBanned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
Thanks for the inputs guys!

I know this is bold, but can anyone see him becoming a St. Louis? I just donít think itís unreasonable to assume that he could one day be putting points at the same rate as St. Louis.

St. Louisí 1st significant season (Ď99/í00) was at the age of 24, where he got 18 pts, and then the next season (w/Tampa) where he played 78 games, he got 40pts. He didnít explode until the 02-03 season with 70pts. Now I think we can certainly draw some parallels between St. Louisí path and the one DD is following.

However there is one difference and that is the fact that St. Louis was given a superstar (at the time ) line mate, named Lecavalier.

Now do you guys think that DD, can one day become a sort of ĎSt.Louisí without that superstar next to him or at all?
Another difference being that St-Louis was one of the fastest players in the league. While he isn't slow by any means, Desharnais just can't claim to have incredible speed on his side. I do, however, think that his hockey IQ is out of this world.

Old
09-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Zorro

Quote:
Originally Posted by overlords View Post
Another difference being that St-Louis was one of the fastest players in the league. While he isn't slow by any means, Desharnais just can't claim to have incredible speed on his side. I do, however, think that his hockey IQ is out of this world.
While speed is an important factor for short players, i don't think it's as important as IQ. Shorter players have to be faster than the average player, but not necesarily the fastest. There are plenty of extremely fast players (i.e. Lapierre) but without the skill you're pretty much screwed.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:13 AM
fufonzo

Send a message via ICQ to fufonzo Send a message via MSN to fufonzo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zorro View Post
While speed is an important factor for short players, i don't think it's as important as IQ. Shorter players have to be faster than the average player, but not necesarily the fastest. There are plenty of extremely fast players (i.e. Lapierre) but without the skill you're pretty much screwed.
Nobody is saying the hockey IQ isn't important.

What we're saying is it's questionable how dominant a player can be without size or speed.

How many great modern hockey players have there been under 5'10 who didn't have great speed?

Not saying DD isn't going to pan out, but the chances of him being a St-Louis type player without having great speed are pretty slim.

Closed Thread