HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Western Conference > Pacific Division > Vancouver Canucks
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Vigneault stiffs Hodgson in first game of season

Old
09-22-2011, 06:54 AM
Wilch
Unregistered User

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS View Post
It should also be noted that the big irony here is that this organization has given Hodgson a massive free pass at various points and all kinds of opportunity and gametime that he did nothing to earn.

Was kept way deep into the preseason in both 2009 and 2010 despite looking awful throughout camp.

Was given 20 NHL games last year despite doing next-to-nothing in Manitoba and scoring 17 points in his last 37 AHL games.

Was playing games deep in the NHL playoffs despite doing looking very poor in an NHL uniform last year, struggling defensively, and generating nothing offensively.

Isn't required to attend the prospect tourney last week despite the fact that every other prospect of his age/experience from the attending teams was there.

The Canucks (and Vigneault) have done *absolutely everything possible* to give this guy an opportunity to succeed. To blame the coaches is utterly laughable.

If this guy was a 3rd round pick and had exactly the same track record over the past few years, he wouldn't have played an NHL shift yet.
Summed up very well MS

Wilch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:58 AM
Abaddon*

Agreed with MSS I think it's the other centres on the Canucks depth chart that have been stiffed by Vigneault in favour of Hodgson. Where did Alain send Joel Perrault by the way? Marco Rosa? Probably both would have been a better more veteran and effective centre than Cody.

Abaddon* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:04 AM
AndyPipkin
PSN: Lord_Of_War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abaddon View Post
I'm curious what some of you have seen in Hodgson. I think it's obvious the Canucks are grooming him for the fourth line, if he makes the NHL.
Wow two in one thread.

May I have some of whatever you are on?

AndyPipkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:36 AM
Dirkph
Mancrush = Malhotra

Quote:
It should also be noted that the big irony here is that this organization has given Hodgson a massive free pass at various points and all kinds of opportunity and gametime that he did nothing to earn.

Was kept way deep into the preseason in both 2009 and 2010 despite looking awful throughout camp.

Was given 20 NHL games last year despite doing next-to-nothing in Manitoba and scoring 17 points in his last 37 AHL games.

Was playing games deep in the NHL playoffs despite doing looking very poor in an NHL uniform last year, struggling defensively, and generating nothing offensively.

Isn't required to attend the prospect tourney last week despite the fact that every other prospect of his age/experience from the attending teams was there.

The Canucks (and Vigneault) have done *absolutely everything possible* to give this guy an opportunity to succeed. To blame the coaches is utterly laughable.

If this guy was a 3rd round pick and had exactly the same track record over the past few years, he wouldn't have played an NHL shift yet.
Post of the century. Couldn't agree more.

Cody Hodgson has been so overrated thus far that it has become an inside joke with one of my best friends. That is not to say he won't reach his potential...

Dirkph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:26 AM
MS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirkph View Post
Cody Hodgson has been so overrated thus far that it has become an inside joke with one of my best friends. That is not to say he won't reach his potential...
My favourite continues to be the posts (and there have been several again in the past week) that continue to suggest that the best two-way center in the NHL and defending Selke winner should be moved to the wing to accomodate a rookie who had trouble producing in the AHL last year. It boggles the mind.

He has ability and obviously injuries have been a problem, and I really hope he's a solid player for this team, but the hype around him is continually bizarre. You'd think we were keeping a young Sidney Crosby in the minors after he scored 175 points in Manitoba last year.

Most rookies earn their way onto the roster by performing in the minors and working their way up from a limited role on the NHL club. I guess Hodgson is a special case.

Hodgson will get a game or two this season with good players, and hopefully he delivers and can patch over some icetime early in the season when we'll have some guys out. If not, no big deal if he goes to the AHL.

MS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:38 AM
Type Not Specified
Part of the process

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyPipkin View Post
I'm still laughing over here at "Wellwood" and "light" in the same sentence.
Yeah but if he goes out there and plays like a man possessed...

Type Not Specified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:55 AM
Kagee*

Quote:

I don't agree, he has not been giving a massive free pass, he barely got any ice time last preseason, and the only reason he got any miniscule ice time in the playoffs, was he's the ONLY guy with ANY type of hockey skill at all while playing center, with the lack of depth we had.

imo AV hasn't given him a fair chance, plus he's only played with knuckle dragging scrubs like the super sniper Glass.

Lets remember this is CoHo's first healthy season/offseason, and I still think AV will look for other options first before just giving Hodgson a spot for the sake of it.

CH will be brought in slowly like Hansen and Raymond, up and down from the AHL, with each passing season seeing more and more ice time gradually. I don't see that as giving Hodgson a free pass at all, and at least CH has shown some glimpses of offensive skills/attack with his very tiny small fraction of ice time/games when brought up, within his massive EIGHT games played and 12 playoff games with the Canucks.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:58 AM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

So much needless speculation so early in the campaign.

I think it's more than obvious that all AV was trying to do was put a line together with names that rhyme to see if that helps them gel quicker. Oreo, Coho and Duco.

Mystery solved.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:03 AM
mossey3535

Quote:

I'm sorry, but 6:00 per game isn't enough for anyone to succeed. Even in the vaunted Detroit model, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were handed 70+ games and 14:00+ minutes in their first year. They were not 'eased in', and most high draft picks are not.

Justin Abdelkader was treated similarly to Hodgson. Less than a PPG in the AHL, 20 games in the playoffs, two sniffs at the show to the tune of 4 games total. Even then, in his first real chance he was given 50 games and 10:00 per game. He was -11 over that time.

At some point you have to give a promising prospect at least 40 games and 10 minutes per game and let him make mistakes and learn. That's what we did with Raymond, who was not eased in either. For example, neither Burrows or Kesler played less than 10 minutes a game on the big club.

Keeping a guy around to essentially be a black ace can help in terms of experience and that's why so many clubs call up young kids during the playoffs so they can soak up the atmosphere. Preseason games mean nothing so I don't understand what your argument is there.

But that hardly adds up to giving a guy a 'free pass'.

mossey3535 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:20 AM
vanwest

Quote:

I disagree that he's been given a massive free pass. I think that he's been given the amount of opportunity that he's earned. The pass at prospects camp last week was the same for Tanev. According to coach in Manitoba he was the best forward on the team so I disagree that he would not have played an NHL shift had he been a third round pick. Players like Bliznak, Volpatti etc. also played NHL shifts last year. Hodgson needs to show that he deserves more ice time and better line mates. He needs to earn it. That's the way the Red Wings work and that's who Gillis is trying to emulate.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:31 AM
Alan Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by mossey3535 View Post
I'm sorry, but 6:00 per game isn't enough for anyone to succeed. Even in the vaunted Detroit model, Datsyuk and Zetterberg were handed 70+ games and 14:00+ minutes in their first year. They were not 'eased in', and most high draft picks are not.

Justin Abdelkader was treated similarly to Hodgson. Less than a PPG in the AHL, 20 games in the playoffs, two sniffs at the show to the tune of 4 games total. Even then, in his first real chance he was given 50 games and 10:00 per game. He was -11 over that time.

At some point you have to give a promising prospect at least 40 games and 10 minutes per game and let him make mistakes and learn. That's what we did with Raymond, who was not eased in either. For example, neither Burrows or Kesler played less than 10 minutes a game on the big club.

Keeping a guy around to essentially be a black ace can help in terms of experience and that's why so many clubs call up young kids during the playoffs so they can soak up the atmosphere. Preseason games mean nothing so I don't understand what your argument is there.

But that hardly adds up to giving a guy a 'free pass'.
I tend to agree. Hodgson gets a handful of shifts with Glass and Volpatti and suddenly, he "can't produce". Come off it. Henrik Sedin wouldn't be able to shine given the same opportunity Hodgson has had here. What did Alex Burrows do to earn a spot on the first line when he was given the chance there?

Injuries aside, Hodgson was Manitoba's best foward last season according to the coaching staff there. It's not like he hasn't done anything to earn a look with the Canucks.

I agree that if Hodgson was a 3rd round pick, there would be considerably less conversation about him. But he's not a 3rd round pick, is he? Is Hodgson a special case? Yes! He was a top 10 pick and widely considered one of the very best players of his age group before injuries derailed him a little bit.

I'll agree that Hodgson hasn't shown nearly enough yet to be considered a full-time NHLer, but Hodgson is the type of player who's not going to show much playing on a 4th line. He's not flashy: he's not real fast, he isn't going to run around making hits, and he's not going to fight. But he's a player that can make smart decisions with the puck, and hopefully be able to create offense opportunities for himself and his linemates.

I do wonder, and have always wondered, about how this coach and this player might coexist. Vigneault invites this sort of speculation when he basically called the kid a faker and a liar, but let's not get into that again.

Vigneault said again yesterday that players need a "bottom line", that they need to stand out in one area. Vigneault likes shiny objects: a guy like Ryan Johnson blocks shots, so he plays even if he's horrible at everything else. I don't know if Vigneault is a big fan of players who maybe don't excel at one particular area, especially if that player is still learning defensively. Until he can prove that he's an offensive threat every shift, I think Hodgson is facing an uphill battle to impress Vigneault. Brendan Morrison lost out to Alex Bolduc last season. What does that tell you about the type of player Vigneault prefers?

Hopefully, Hodgson gets a chance this pre-season with some skilled players, some powerplay time, and we'll all be in a better position to judge whether or not he's ready for an NHL job. If he's not, that's fine, too. Another year in Manitoba isn't the end of the world - the kid is only 21! He has time.

Alan Jackson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:39 AM
Dado

vCash:
Hodgson has not even played well enough to have "earned" the time he has gotten. I agree with MS - he *has* gotten a bit of a free pass so far. And I'm ok with that.

But at some point we're just going to have to accept the possibility that he's simply not good enough.

Because so far, he hasn't been, not even down on the farm where he has been given every opportunity to shine like a super nova against much weaker opposition.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:51 AM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Hodgson will get a game or two this season with good players, and hopefully he delivers and can patch over some icetime early in the season when we'll have some guys out. If not, no big deal if he goes to the AHL.
Except you're overlooking the fact we need him or someone like him right now. The Canucks need to replace Kesler's minutes and Cody is one of the candidates to do so. He deserves a fighting chance to take that job and run with it - just like his competition Andrew Ebbett was given playing with 2 veteran wingers his first game in a Canuck uniform.

A game or 2 this season isn't good enough. He should get at least the next 2-3 games with legitimate top 9 NHL players and anything less would be a disservice to Hodgson and the team. The pre-season is when they should be finding out where he's at.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

I will be really surprised if we don't see Hodgson start the season with the Canucks

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
ItsAllPartOfThePlan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drop the Sopel View Post
Except you're overlooking the fact we need him or someone like him right now. The Canucks need to replace Kesler's minutes and Cody is one of the candidates to do so. He deserves a fighting chance to take that job and run with it - just like his competition Andrew Ebbett was given playing with 2 veteran wingers his first game in a Canuck uniform.

A game or 2 this season isn't good enough. He should get at least the next 2-3 games with legitimate top 9 NHL players and anything less would be a disservice to Hodgson and the team. The pre-season is when they should be finding out where he's at.

You were at the Calgary game IIRC...how did he look live?

ItsAllPartOfThePlan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:02 PM
vanwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
I will be really surprised if we don't see Hodgson start the season with the Canucks
I think that he will be kept at least until Kesler returns and will be given lots of opportunity to show that he is ready. Things are setting up pretty well for him this year.

vanwest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:09 PM
Drop the Sopel
Feaster famine

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsAllPartOfThePlan View Post
You were at the Calgary game IIRC...how did he look live?
My wife lost our tickets on the way to the game so I missed the entire 1st period.

In the 2 periods I saw he looked pretty good. Looked a bit faster, a bit stronger and was making some plays with Oreskovich. Unfortunately the Canucks were killing penalties all night so there wasn't a lot of opportunity to create scoring chances and I didn't see Mike Duco touch the puck or show anything with Hodgson.

All in all he looked pretty good but definately no jaw-dropping standout moments - though he was probably the Canucks best player. It was the worst, least entertaining game I've ever seen and I just couldn't get into it at all...

I thought Mancari looked pretty good too. He's a huge guy, had the puck on his stick a fair bit but didn't skate paticularily well. Managed to do more offensively than Oreskovich has in 35 games - score a goal.

Drop the Sopel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:11 PM
Kagee*

Quote:
Originally Posted by vanwest View Post
I think that he will be kept at least until Kesler returns and will be given lots of opportunity to show that he is ready. Things are setting up pretty well for him this year.
However mid-November will come fast, and both Ray/Kes will be back quick, and if Sturm stays healthy CoHo will be the odd man out once again with this team stacked full of vets.

So basically its a few games here and there sporadically throughout the season when/if some of the vets get injured again. Unless he outperforms Manny significantly, but with CoHo's extreme lack of experience, doubt that happens.
Patience is a virtue concerning CoHo on this cup contending team.

Kagee* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:16 PM
Outside99*
Sedins off Kas

I completely agree with MS.

The argument that he wasnt' given good linemates to play with in the NHL doesn't hold water because he probably was with the Moose and didn't produce there either. Probably even more damning: he led the Moose with a -12. In comparison, Shirikov was +9, even Bliznak was +14.

It should be a given that Hodgson have an outstanding camp to make the team.

On the comment about AV and each player needing a bottom line, I completely agree with this - this is a change for the organization and a good one at that. If the team had a weakness last year, it was a lack of diversity of skill - too many of our forwards played a similar game - strong forecheck, backcheck, strong two way players basically.

Team has brought in to camp some different players in that regard:

* Sturm, Jensen - can score and make plays
* Mancari, Nolan - big forwards
* Pinizzotto - versatile 4th liner who can skate, score and fight

Outside99* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:22 PM
Eddy Punch Clock
Gold Jerry!!!

Maybe Gallagher can live with Coho's line mates for tonights game.

Nolan and that guy with these letters in his name: D-I-M-T-K-R-O-S.

Eddy Punch Clock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
silvercanuck

Quote:

Cody Hodgson is a first round pick that was considered one of the top three prospects in the game until recently. Any other organisation in the league would have given him a long look. I really don't think that keeping him for the entire pre-season two years in a row and giving him eight regular season NHL games last year was anything outside of the ordinary for a pick of his stature.

I certainly wouldn't say he got a free pass from Vigneault either. Do you forget the absolutely stupid comments the coach made about his back injury? And what kind of line-mates and assignments is our offensively gifted player getting.

I think Cody is in a tug-of-war between the coach and the GM. The GM wants to give his prospect a shot but the coach doesn't want to give him much ice-time or an opportunity to play with more offensively gifted players.

silvercanuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:36 PM
Bobby Lou
Moustache Power

vCash: 894
To be fair, playing Hodgson in the playoffs last year wasn't a 'favor' to him in any way; it was because we hit that point on our depth chart. We were lucky to have acquired Lapierre or Hodgson would have been forced to serve as our third line centre post-Malhotra injury.

Bobby Lou is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:42 PM
Dado

vCash:
Quote:
Originally Posted by silvercanuck View Post
Cody Hodgson is a first round pick that was considered one of the top three prospects in the game until recently.
Only in Vancouver was he considered anything like that.

The list of players younger than him that have already lapped him is long and impressive.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:43 PM
NFITO
hockeyinsanity*****

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
Only in Vancouver was he considered anything like that.

The list of players younger than him that have already lapped him is long and impressive.
Pretty sure THN is not a Vancouver publication. He was ranked in the top 5 best prospects in the world in 2009 - the year after his draft and before his injury.

It was only after his back injury did his stock start to fall.

NFITO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:00 PM
Wetcoaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFITO View Post
Pretty sure THN is not a Vancouver publication. He was ranked in the top 5 best prospects in the world in 2009 - the year after his draft and before his injury.

It was only after his back injury did his stock start to fall.
He was also Hockey Future's Prospect of the Year in 2008-09 and in Spring 2010 was still ranked #3 despite his back woes.
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...he_year200809/
http://www.hockeysfuture.com/article...spring2010110/

Wetcoaster is offline   Reply With Quote