HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

New Captain is Mark Streit. (Link Post #66)

Old
09-21-2011, 02:11 PM
Doshell Propivo

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPurthe1 View Post
I was just standing up to a person who was saying his opinion. Stupid is harsh word, don't you think?
My comment was directed at the original poster's statement, not yours. Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
I can't wait to see what stitching they use. A wicker stitch? A Painted Hummer? Perhaps the Knotted Gobelin? Very exciting. I can't wait!
C'mon. You know that cheap ******* Wang will just have some intern slap that thing on with some gorilla glue.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:24 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doshell Propivo View Post
C'mon. You know that cheap ******* Wang will just have some intern slap that thing on with some gorilla glue.
Hofstra doesn't have the resources for stitching that NCC does.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:27 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Awesome good for Streit, good for the team and good for us. Hopefully he has a successful and healthy full season for us and provides a big boost on the blue line for this team because he's fully capable of doing so.

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:38 PM
Bunk Moreland

vCash: 234
Funny post from Grabner on twitter:

Quote:
What streiter got captain?..I thought I was the front runner..dammit haha..kidding aside tho,congrats to him and excited to have him back.
haha

Bunk Moreland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 02:58 PM
IslesRock4
Global Moderator
Fantasy Hockey Talk

I wanted JT, but this is the logical move. Congrats to Streit.

IslesRock4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 03:43 PM
HyeDray
HFB Partner

This is 100% the correct move based on who and what the Isles have.

Tavares and Okposo might be considered future captains, but those are players with enough on their plate. The Islanders have made errors in the past with players who projected as top level NHL players only to saddle them with the captains "c" and stunting their development

McCabe could never be the player he became if he had remain and Isles captain at 23 and just trying to figure out how to play defense in the NHL.

Kenny Jonsson relinquished the captains "c" if memory serves because he wanted to focus on just playing the game.

Kyle Okposo and John Tavares are already leaders. But the burden of being captain on players yet to develop would have been in error. Those two players, along with many of the younger guys need to focus on one thing and that is playing and elevating their games.

Streit is a great choice. He is our #1 defenseman, and so critical to the team. This makes him the defacto go-to player. He is a vet, and can handle the job, and be a strong and capable voice that everyone in the NHL already respects at a high level.

HyeDray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:45 PM
BOSSY1126

congrates to streit......but i think in 2 years will be naming JT as our new captain

BOSSY1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 04:50 PM
JJmcD
The Power Of Love

Oh no! The suspense was killing me

Even people that thought it was going to be JT knew it was going to be Streit. And it's absolutely the smartest choice.

JJmcD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:10 PM
seafoam
#hewenttoharvard

vCash: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by IslandersFan17 View Post
To a degree the pill would be easier to swallow if that be the case.

However, I just do not like these stop-gap Captains. You look at organizations that have had several captains throughout their ENTIRE EXISTENCE. We go through them like crazy. Their used to be a nostalgia and sense of pride and rich history with captaining a professional franchise.

Streit is not going to be a long term captain and to an extent this bothers me. I would have rather Okposo.
If all goes right and Streit returns to pre-injury form, he should be here maybe six to seven more years. He's got alot of games left and hasn't expressed even thinking about retirement. Plus the "Lidstrom like" type of play can really keep a defensmen playing in the NHL for a while and still be productive.

After all...he is our best dman.

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 05:48 PM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
His opinion, not a big deal.
Considering that it is highly illegal to use ethnic background as a factor when making a decision for promotion, it certainly ought to be a big deal that anyone feels this should've been a factor that the Islanders used to make the decision. Explain to me the difference between saying that and someone saying "Okposo shouldn't be captain because I don't think blacks make good captains," or would you have been completely comfortable with him having said that also?

But Congrats to Streit, I really think he deserves it.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 07:52 PM
mabisles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlTimeHockey View Post
Potvin was a year older than Gillies. Just sayin'.
He's still older by the way ...

Congrats Mark ! This was pretty Streit forward by the way...

mabisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 08:31 PM
Noreaster96

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabisles View Post
Congrats Mark ! This was pretty Streit forward by the way...
I see what you did there

Noreaster96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:37 PM
isles31
Poster Excellont

Quote:
I was just standing up to a person who was saying his opinion. Stupid is harsh word, don't you think?
He said "stupid statement", didn't call anyone stupid. And I'd have to agree really. Saying a Euro can't be a captain is the same as "black players aren't good QB's" its a blanket statement & its ridiculous

isles31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 09:55 PM
GusTheo

Like stated by many already, it was the smart move.

And I can also picture Streit being here for another 5 years... He got a late start in the NHL, didn't even play last year. I think he's got some miles left in those skates. Islanders like him, he likes the Island, he's apart of something good here, and he's been since the beginning. He'll be on the Island as long as he's got productive years in him.

GusTheo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:20 PM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabisles View Post
He's still older by the way ...
No, Potvin's defensive play stopped time and he's younger now. Father Time tried to take it back but there was no way he was gonna try anything like that on Denis and get paused for good.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-21-2011, 10:23 PM
Strome18

Quote:
My comment was directed at the original poster's statement, not yours. Sorry.
Got it, thanks...appology accepted, no big deal anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
Considering that it is highly illegal to use ethnic background as a factor when making a decision for promotion, it certainly ought to be a big deal that anyone feels this should've been a factor that the Islanders used to make the decision. Explain to me the difference between saying that and someone saying "Okposo shouldn't be captain because I don't think blacks make good captains," or would you have been completely comfortable with him having said that also?

But Congrats to Streit, I really think he deserves it.
Guys go read all the threads before you blow this up on me. I was lettting the guy have his say. Let us leave it at that. He was stating what he saw of Euros and such. Please stop making such a big deal and enjoy Streiter's captaincy, geez...

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:33 AM
Chapin Landvogt
Hockey's Future Staff

A fairly logical choice...

Now, if the announcers around the NHL world (including our own) would finally realize that his name is neither pronounced "straight" nor "street".

Simply "strite".

My goodness, how hard can that be?

Chapin Landvogt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:00 AM
Seph

Send a message via AIM to Seph
Quote:
Guys go read all the threads before you blow this up on me. I was lettting the guy have his say. Let us leave it at that. He was stating what he saw of Euros and such. Please stop making such a big deal and enjoy Streiter's captaincy, geez...
I don't mean to come down on you, but the original comment I responded to was intended to detract from the choice, which I feel is largely incorrect and I responded with a fact to show why the reasoning for such was poor. My intention was not to say he couldn't express his opinion, but to show why it was ill-founded. I can agree to disagree on a number of factors on what makes a good or bad captain. But the continent a player was born on should never enter the discussion. People are individuals, and the notion that anyone should be limited based on that, well, I find it somewhat offensive. Using it to detract from the choice of Streit as the captain admittedly does bother me a little.

I don't mean to direct any offense at you, I do get your point, and overall am mostly just happy with the choice. I think he's an ideal stopgap until one of the younguns (probably Tavares) is ready to take the reigns longterm.

Seph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:10 AM
Belenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chapin Landvogt View Post
A fairly logical choice...

Now, if the announcers around the NHL world (including our own) would finally realize that his name is neither pronounced "straight" nor "street".

Simply "strite".

My goodness, how hard can that be?
In Swiss german it is Mark Shtrite. I think in the last season in Montreal they knew his correct pronunciation.

Belenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:33 AM
Koobs11
aka Back door Johnny

Send a message via AIM to Koobs11
solid choice will be a great leader as he has been, he is a very level headed player i dont see this getting to his head, I just cant wait to see him back out on the ice for us

Koobs11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 07:52 AM
Doshell Propivo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belenos View Post
In Swiss german it is Mark Shtrite. I think in the last season in Montreal they knew his correct pronunciation.

Many foreign players in North America "Americanize" their pronunciations. The league asks all players how they prefer their names are pronounced and that gets distributed in all the media guides. It's a safe bet to assume that if Howie Rose calls him "Strite" that is what he prefers.

I remember a few years ago there were two brothers (Russians - the Kostitsyns?) and they each wanted their last name pronounced differently.

Doshell Propivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:25 AM
Tuckisles

How long is it going to take them to update the roster on the website with Streit as the C. I love this team but they always do things half a$$ed.

Tuckisles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:53 AM
Strome18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seph View Post
I don't mean to come down on you, but the original comment I responded to was intended to detract from the choice, which I feel is largely incorrect and I responded with a fact to show why the reasoning for such was poor. My intention was not to say he couldn't express his opinion, but to show why it was ill-founded. I can agree to disagree on a number of factors on what makes a good or bad captain. But the continent a player was born on should never enter the discussion. People are individuals, and the notion that anyone should be limited based on that, well, I find it somewhat offensive. Using it to detract from the choice of Streit as the captain admittedly does bother me a little.

I don't mean to direct any offense at you, I do get your point, and overall am mostly just happy with the choice. I think he's an ideal stopgap until one of the younguns (probably Tavares) is ready to take the reigns longterm.
Agreed...thanks, not a problem. We agree on all aspects.

Strome18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Renbarg

Quote:
Many foreign players in North America "Americanize" their pronunciations. The league asks all players how they prefer their names are pronounced and that gets distributed in all the media guides. It's a safe bet to assume that if Howie Rose calls him "Strite" that is what he prefers.

I remember a few years ago there were two brothers (Russians - the Kostitsyns?) and they each wanted their last name pronounced differently.
The Michalek brothers too. One pronounced it the Czech way (with a silent c) and the other a qausi-Americanized version.

Renbarg is offline   Reply With Quote