HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Tomáš Hyka (returned to his junior club, Gatineau, Sept. 22)

Old
09-22-2011, 11:49 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 50
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
I love this board. This kid showed some promise in what, a two week time span? And now the Flyers are idiots for not signing (EDIT: meant to say drafting) him. Didn't Pyorala look good in pre-season a couple years ago? Great move that was. The kid is 18, probably won't be drafted until the later rounds again next year. Maybe they'll draft him then. Remember when everyone freaked out about Eriksson? No one drafted him in the last draft, even though he was so good the Flyers were stupid to let him go. This really isn't not a big deal, whether it was an oversight or not.

DrinkFightFlyers is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:52 AM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
I love this board. This kid showed some promise in what, a two week time span? And now the Flyers are idiots for not signing (EDIT: meant to say drafting) him. Didn't Pyorala look good in pre-season a couple years ago? Great move that was. The kid is 18, probably won't be drafted until the later rounds again next year. Maybe they'll draft him then. Remember when everyone freaked out about Eriksson? No one drafted him in the last draft, even though he was so good the Flyers were stupid to let him go. This really isn't not a big deal, whether it was an oversight or not.
I was waiting for you to come in to defend Homer. The bigger problem here is the management not understanding the CBA.

BTW. There is a HUGE difference between signing a 18 yr old to an ELC and playing a 28 yr old on the top line (where he should not have played)

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:53 AM
SgtJoseph

Quote:
Originally Posted by sa cyred View Post
What I find funny is that a professional club's management team continuously not knowing the rules from the CBA. Example: The 35+ contract rule.
I agree with you 100%.....But they are still a very good management team when you look at the big picture.....Whats that say for the rest of the leagues GMs that may know all the ins and outs of the CBA etc, but their teams are not nearly as competitive on a consistent level as the Flyers ?........Their is a method to their madness that seems to work ? Just 3 months ago everyone was crying about our club will be too old soon as per the contracts signed etc......They addressed that pretty damn quick, and that took major balls to do in my opinion....They ain't perfect by no means, but they do a fine job overall.

SgtJoseph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:54 AM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Lest we forget (I did), Holmgren blundered Max Talbot's contract as well, in terms of his pay structure.

Quote:
Or he'll have a break out season playing in a new league, better exposure, and be picked in the draft before we even get a chance to pick him. If you valued him high, why would you take him over a guy in Mathers who literally has zero upside. It's not really even about someone else getting him out from right underneath our nose (we can save those complaints for June), it shouldn't even be this far.

Stop Feeding the Rumor-Monger

"I wonder if Norstrom has Forsberg's spleen mounted on his wall." - KINGS17

My 50 Favorite Albums of 2014 (sorry it's late)
GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:56 AM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
I was waiting for you to come in to defend Homer. The bigger problem here is the management not understanding the CBA.

BTW. There is a HUGE difference between signing a 18 yr old to an ELC and playing a 28 yr old on the top line (where he should not have played)
I'm not saying its ok that they didn't get the CBA, which may or may not be the case. All I'm saying is that this doesn't really matter in the long run. Sure, he could turn out to be something special, but it is just as likely that he is a nobody that is never heard from again. If the management blew it, shame on them and someone should be reamed out for this, but I don't think this blunder (or non-blunder) will really effect this team.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:00 PM
sa cyred
Yea....the Flyers...

Quote:
I'm not saying its ok that they didn't get the CBA, which may or may not be the case. All I'm saying is that this doesn't really matter in the long run. Sure, he could turn out to be something special, but it is just as likely that he is a nobody that is never heard from again. If the management blew it, shame on them and someone should be reamed out for this, but I don't think this blunder (or non-blunder) will really effect this team.
See you are thinking past the point. Why risk a blunder when you can prevent it by just A. Understanding the rules. or B. Just drafting goons that NEVER pane out...ever

sa cyred is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Jester

Quote:
Dude, it's the SAME BLUNDER they keep making. Seriously, how daft are you? They are constantly *ing up the CBA, and making dumb interpretive decisions that bite this team in the ass. You say it isn't a long run problem? Sure, Hyka may not be a big deal in himself, but this **** is *ing chronic. At what point is a chronic problem a long run problem?

How many dumb **** ups do they need to do before you stop defending each individual **** up because "it isn't a big deal?" You're like a battered wife.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:06 PM
GKJ
Global Moderator
Entertainment

Quote:
Can you make a list of non-self-employed professions where constant ignorance to their rules and regulations allows you to keep your job for 5 years, or even 15 (Holmgren was here for 10 years before he was GM)?

GKJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:13 PM
BillDineen

Quote:
See you are thinking past the point. Why risk a blunder when you can prevent it by just A. Understanding the rules. or B. Just drafting goons that NEVER pane out...ever
Dave Brown in '82 is the only one. Fedoruk might count to some. It is almost as if the organization likes the idea of getting a young fighter rather than looking at their potential value, which is low even if they pan out.

BillDineen is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillDineen View Post
Dave Brown in '82 is the only one. Fedoruk might count to some. It is almost as if the organization likes the idea of getting a young fighter rather than looking at their potential value, which is low even if they pan out.
Nothing will ever top the Klotz pick.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:24 PM
BringBackStevens

Hyka will probably have a breakout year in the Q and the Flyers will have to burn a second or third round pick to grab him, or someone else grabs him before they get the chance. Instead they could have had him for a worthless 7th rounder last year when they claim they already had their eyes on him.

Thats a massive **** up

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:31 PM
flountown

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKJ View Post
Can you make a list of non-self-employed professions where constant ignorance to their rules and regulations allows you to keep your job for 5 years, or even 15 (Holmgren was here for 10 years before he was GM)?
Government jobs

flountown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:45 PM
DeflatedFootball7

This team's manageent never ceases to amaze me. I like Homer and the crew for the most part but things like this are just inexcusable. The only option now is he most likely dominates the Q all year and then we have to pick him with a high pick to get him back. It's unfortunate and beyond that these jokers don't know what there doing. I'll miss you and your excellent goal celebrations Hyka

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:51 PM
PhlyerPhanatic
Noob Magnet

Anyone else have this uneasy feeling that Hyka will score a goal in the future that will seal our fate?

PhlyerPhanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:53 PM
OriginJM
watch out im smart

2 good games = god tier prospect

OriginJM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:55 PM
FreshPerspective
We don't need one!

Well Hyka might become Over Hyp-A but still a pretty glaring screwup by management from a lot of perspectives.

FreshPerspective is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:01 PM
DeflatedFootball7

There is one bright spot here. As of this writing we still have a lot, and I mean A LOT of picks. If he's good this year there's a chance we can still get him at the draft. *Crosses fingers and prays*

DeflatedFootball7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:07 PM
kicksave27

Can't we get someone to be the Joe Banner for the Flyers, someone with the ability to read the CBA and understand what's in it. Every year it's something with them

kicksave27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:11 PM
phlocky

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
LOL, didn't we actually trade UP to draft freaking Klotz???

phlocky is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:14 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by OriginJM View Post
2 good games = god tier prospect
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDoom View Post
Well Hyka might become Over Hyp-A but still a pretty glaring screwup by management from a lot of perspectives.
I don't really care about Hyka at all... I care about the continuous drip of dumb that comes out of our front office.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kicksave27 View Post
Can't we get someone to be the Joe Banner for the Flyers, someone with the ability to read the CBA and understand what's in it. Every year it's something with them
They do have someone. He's clearly failing at his job.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I think it is a big deal when they have a kid they considered a third round talent and compared him to Claude Giroux, but then ultimately decided a kid who has no shot at amounting to anything was more worthy of a pick.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:18 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Dude, it's the SAME BLUNDER they keep making. Seriously, how daft are you? They are constantly *ing up the CBA, and making dumb interpretive decisions that bite this team in the ass. You say it isn't a long run problem? Sure, Hyka may not be a big deal in himself, but this **** is *ing chronic. At what point is a chronic problem a long run problem?

How many dumb **** ups do they need to do before you stop defending each individual **** up because "it isn't a big deal?" You're like a battered wife.
Before I respond to this, what are the constant, chronic problems regarding the CBA rules? The Pronger deal, this one, and what else? I'm not saying there weren't any other ones, I just can't remember the other issues.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
I think it is a big deal when they have a kid they considered a third round talent and compared him to Claude Giroux, but then ultimately decided a kid who has no shot at amounting to anything was more worthy of a pick.
Well that's not misunderstanding the CBA, that is just bad drafting. But I'm assuming if they didn't draft him, it was because they thought other people were better or there were other factors at play. If they really, truly thought he was a third round pick, they would have drafted, unless the other players they drafted they thought were better.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:24 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
I feel the Hyka situation might top it or is on the same level. It is just unbelievable to me they would pick a kid who would have went undrafted over a kid they felt was a possible 3rd round talent. Plus it is compounded by the fact that they did not know they couldn't sign Hyka. They only figured it out because a blog contacted them.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:29 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:
Well that's not misunderstanding the CBA, that is just bad drafting. But I'm assuming if they didn't draft him, it was because they thought other people were better or there were other factors at play. If they really, truly thought he was a third round pick, they would have drafted, unless the other players they drafted they thought were better.
Except they told Anthony San Filippo they forgot about Hyka until the 7th round. They decided to draft a kid who blew away the OHL with 5 points over him. Part of their decision to draft Mathers over Hyka was because they thought they could sign Hyka as a free agent, but they did not know the CBA well enough to know they could not sign him. It took Broad Street Hockey contacting Barry Hanrahan for them to realize they are unable to sign him.