HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Atlantic Division > Montreal Canadiens
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

Sabres win 3-1 (EN)

Old
09-22-2011, 11:04 AM
PricePkPatch

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by hototogisu View Post
He can hog the puck all he wants if you ask me. He's good at it
Yup, but about 33% of the time it lead to an unwinnable position and he had to clear the puck.

He needs to either be more opportune, or coordinate his rush better with JM's line-shifting strategy. Which is not outside of the realm of possibilities, as I do believe JM is warming up to him and see the advantage he provides on transition play.

But agreed, he's a thing of beauty to watch. Although I noticed a few time in the 2nd, he handed the puck over to Beaulieu deliberately while he could have gone himself.

I think he either got talked to ("we wanna see how good are the kids, not how good you are PK!") or he really wanted to see how Nathan was skilled carrying the puck.

Very very very natural chemistry between NB and PK. They are naturals. I wonder how Emelin/Subban will look like.

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:16 AM
Joe Cole

My 2 cents, I think the Habs looked good out there against a stacked line up.

Good flashes by Beaulieu and Galagher. Other rookies were not stand outs.

From returning players,
PK was great.
Gorges looked even better than before,
Gionta looked good (my god he slashes alot),
Paches looked good.
Desharnais showed some nice stuff, but lost board battles

Best of all Budaj looked really good. I thought his play was very poised and controlled.

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:28 AM
MayDay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hackett View Post
btw, not that its important but I wonder why the sabres felt compelled to dress a near full lineup this early in the pre season. I dont know if Ruff has always done it like that but its highly irregular.
Sabres dressed 8 players (Kassian, Gragnani, Ellis, Persson, Adam, Schiestel, Foligno, and Enroth) who aren't wouldn't play in their starting, healthy line-up, and an additional 3 (Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leino) who didn't play in Buffalo last year.

The Sabres' main goal this preseason is to develop chemistry and get all their new pieces to gel. And they have to do it quickly, since they leave for Europe in less than a week to participate in the NHL Premiere games, which leaves them with a shorter preseason than most teams.

The Sabres simply had different goals with this game than the Habs did, which was obviously to evaluate their young players, which is an equally legitimate goal.

Not sure why you guys think this is so scandalous?

MayDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:34 AM
Bourne Endeavor
HFBoards: Night's Watch

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
A bit a puck-hogger, but I think he wanted to prove JM he can spearhead offensive rush when the timing is opportune, if properly back with another reliable D.

Plus, it's not if seeing Subban handling the puck is bad thing to do if you wanna draw the audience. If he keeps improving in his showmanship flair, this team will soon be named the Subbanshow.
If Subban wants to pull a Mike Green and pop thirty goals. He can keep the puck all damn night.

Bourne Endeavor is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:34 AM
CareyClutch
Doing the job

Send a message via MSN to CareyClutch
Lines this morning
http://www.985sports.ca/hockey/nouve...her-97974.html

Brendan Gallagher-Scott Gomez-Max Pacioretty
Erik Cole-Andreas Engqvist-Andrei Kostitsyn
Mathieu Darche-Alexander Avstin-Gabriel Dumont
Mikael Blunden-Philippe DeSimone-Brock Trotter

CareyClutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:37 AM
Habs 4 Life
No Excuses

vCash: 256
Quote:
Originally Posted by CareyClutch View Post
Lines this morning

I guess those are the forwards Martin will play tomorrow in Ottawa, if it's the case 3/3 for Engqvist

Habs 4 Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:38 AM
PricePkPatch

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post

It's not. But it's a thing worthy of curiosity to fans who don't know the reasons behind the scene

PricePkPatch is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:57 AM
Clipitar

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
Sabres dressed 8 players (Kassian, Gragnani, Ellis, Persson, Adam, Schiestel, Foligno, and Enroth) who aren't wouldn't play in their starting, healthy line-up, and an additional 3 (Regehr, Ehrhoff, Leino) who didn't play in Buffalo last year.

The Sabres' main goal this preseason is to develop chemistry and get all their new pieces to gel. And they have to do it quickly, since they leave for Europe in less than a week to participate in the NHL Premiere games, which leaves them with a shorter preseason than most teams.

The Sabres simply had different goals with this game than the Habs did, which was obviously to evaluate their young players, which is an equally legitimate goal.

Your top-9 forwards and top-4 defense were basically all dressed. I think that's what people are saying here. It doesn't matter much that your regular season's 4th line & bottom pairing weren't dressed yesterday and were replaced by prospects.

Having read a bit of your GDT, you guys seem to have a hard time admitting that. I don't get it because it really isn't a big deal, it actually gave a pretty darn good show to those attending, which is no small feat for a 2nd preseason game!

Clipitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:03 PM
voiceofytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Courtnall6 View Post
when do you suppose the next round of cuts will be? I'm going to the game against the Bruins on Sunday here in Halifax and the more regulars that might be in the lineup, the better.
I am going as well

voiceofytown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:05 PM
Analyzer
#WeAreBoston

Quote:
Lines this morning

That would be solid.

Looks like Engqvist is really getting a look at to be with the habs then,

I hope Yemelin is part of the d.

Analyzer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:15 PM
Jigger77

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bourne View Post
If Subban wants to pull a Mike Green and pop thirty goals. He can keep the puck all damn night.
Yeah except when you have teamates stranded at the blue line waiting for him so they don't go offside and he carries the puck in deep there's nobody in deep with him to back him up because they started flat footed at the blue line watching him wondering what to do.

PK is amazing, don't get me wrong, but he needs some refinement in his game. Did a lot of one man-team stuff out there tonight. I wouldn't call him a puck hog, but he has to use his teammates more and not try and do everything himself.

He wasn't doing that in the playoffs and second half of the year last year so I'm not worried. I just wish there was Muller on the bench there able to tell him use your teammates out there.

Jigger77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Forsead

It's clear tenacity is something look by the organization for their prospects when they draft/sign them.

Forsead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 12:29 PM
Jack Bourdain
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHabsEra View Post
Jack Jack Jack..

The game was regular season paced, the intensity level was pretty high, there was no space on the ice, guys of both team played it tight and poised.. Our C team hold their own against an almost full Sabres line-up and with a bit of luck we you have won this one.. It wasnt the most exciting game ever, but the level was pretty high for an exhebition game..

I think he could but he wont.. will have to spend another season the the AHL putting decent numbers.. but I wouldnt be surprised to see him play with the Habs next year..

Beaulieu was mostly looking at Subban on the PP, dont recall him taking a one timer, he rather setted up Subby..
The only time the Habs actually created some offense and sustained pressure was during the PP. I obviously understand the implications of preseason and how unbalanced the lineups were, but from a fan perspective, especially since I was so close to the ice I could see how precautious the game was. Players were trying extra hard not to get injured and it was a defense first game. Overall, it was boring I'd say.

Jack Bourdain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:05 PM
MarkovsKnee

Quote:
Lines this morning

Yeah, JM was saying that he wanted to start supporting Engvist and Palushaj with some veterans. It looks like they're still the focus for him even though they haven't played very well. To be fair, Engvist has been playing wing so moving him back to centre could be a big help for him, and that's where we want him anyway as a big right-handed defensive forward. It sounds like he still has the inside track for that 4th line job.

He also said Gallagher and Beaulieu will be getting a lot more opportunities in games ahead.

MarkovsKnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:17 PM
habsjunkie2*

I wasn't particularly impressed by any of the young forwards. The D on the other hand has stood out for me. I think Beaulieu could hang in there right now. I don't think he will or should, but I think he could play now without hurting us a whole bunch.

habsjunkie2* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:21 PM
habitue*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
My 2 cents, I think the Habs looked good out there against a stacked line up.

Good flashes by Beaulieu and Galagher. Other rookies were not stand outs.

From returning players,
PK was great.
Gorges looked even better than before,
Gionta looked good (my god he slashes alot),
Paches looked good.
Desharnais showed some nice stuff, but lost board battles

Best of all Budaj looked really good. I thought his play was very poised and controlled.
That is why I prefer him at center than as a winger.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CammerScores View Post
Yeah, JM was saying that he wanted to start supporting Engvist and Palushaj with some veterans. It looks like they're still the focus for him even though they haven't played very well. To be fair, Engvist has been playing wing so moving him back to centre could be a big help for him, and that's where we want him anyway as a big right-handed defensive forward. It sounds like he still has the inside track for that 4th line job.

He also said Gallagher and Beaulieu will be getting a lot more opportunities in games ahead.
Could Dumont get that 4th line center job ?

habitue* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:03 PM
MasterDecoy
Carlos Danger

******* subban is good

that is all

MasterDecoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Gally11

Quote:
Originally Posted by PricePkPatch View Post
He sure had a few effective zone entries. Handles the puck well
Also had a shifty writster from point that made it through thick traffic

Gally11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:14 PM
Joe Cole

How the hell does DD get a second star?

Joe Cole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:20 PM
Maxpac

Quote:
Originally Posted by habitue View Post
That is why I prefer him at center than as a winger.

Could Dumont get that 4th line center job ?
Good lord I hope so! Dumont plays a lot more with an edge and looks to be the kind of hometown player who would die for the jersey. Moen-Dumont-White would be one of the most annoying lines in the whole league.

Maxpac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Bulldozer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Cole View Post
How the hell does DD get a second star?
Did you watch the game last night?!?!?

Saw that most people on the hockey boards saying that DD & Pacman sucked last night where those who didn't watch the game and only checked the game stats/highlites...

Bulldozer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:32 PM
SouthernHab
jak się masz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Subban76 View Post
You do realize that having players like AK, Eller and DD on the 3rd line is serious depth. Even Drache on the 4th.They will move up to the top 2 lines when there will be injuries.

Seriously, get a grip, Habs have one of the deepest group of forwards out there.

Sorry about the misunderstanding about what I am trying to say. I AGREE with you regarding the team we will start the season with.

My concern and my use of the phrase "lack of depth" is in regard to the players we will have in Hamilton and who may have to be called up to Montreal at some point during the season. I am not seeing an abundance of scoring talent who can come up and make a difference like Pacioretty and DD were able to last year.

SouthernHab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:40 PM
habtastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldozer View Post
Did you watch the game last night?!?!?

Saw that most people on the hockey boards saying that DD & Pacman sucked last night where those who didn't watch the game and only checked the game stats/highlites...
Seriously. One of the things I felt best about was seeing how AWESOME DD and Patches were. They have lots to prove (or a lot expected of them) and they look like they will deliver. Thing about the two of them is that they are such a good combo - they always know where the other one is on the ice. Too bad they probably won't end up playing together.

DD has mad skills, even against bigger players (I remember a play in the first with him cutting in toward the net rather than going around and succeeding).

Pacioretty is still getting his feet wet and STILL he played an amazing game. That faceoff attempt that led to the first goal was pretty bad, but more funny than anything negative.

habtastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:45 PM
Monctonscout
Monctonscout

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernHab View Post
Sorry about the misunderstanding about what I am trying to say. I AGREE with you regarding the team we will start the season with.

My concern and my use of the phrase "lack of depth" is in regard to the players we will have in Hamilton and who may have to be called up to Montreal at some point during the season. I am not seeing an abundance of scoring talent who can come up and make a difference like Pacioretty and DD were able to last year.
If we have injuries in the top 6, AK Desharnais Darche or Eller are all capable of stepping in and chipping in some goals. I think Trotter and Palushaj are guys in Hmailton that could step up and provide offense. Blunden Wilsie Engqvist and Conboy in different roles.

I find we have a lot more depth than last year.

Monctonscout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Stjonnypopo
Rgesitreed Uesr

I hope Engqvist makes the team, for some reason I really like him. He's not the flashiest player in any way but I think he'll turn into a solid 3rd-4th line player for us. Not to mention that he's Swedish and swedes seem to fit in very well in the NHL.

Stjonnypopo is offline   Reply With Quote