HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

Rangers Lose First Pre-Season Game in OT

Old
09-22-2011, 08:49 AM
broadwayblue

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Treff View Post
Is this the general consensus here? Usually, journalism rules require me to do this. I was planning on doing more blog entries this year, so lets work this out together so you guys get what you need.
Yes, it has been the general rule here for several years now. Many of us are forced to DVR the game and we like to be able to follow along in the game day thread as we watch on delay.

broadwayblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 08:52 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeds2StepOpus View Post
I have no idea what that other guy is talking about. Spoilers? He certainly doesn't speak for me. I have no idea who this "many of us" crowd is.

Just do what you have been doing.

He didn't watch the game? Doesn't know the results? Well, that's his problem. he should refrain from going on a Rangers forum after the game is over, if he doesn't want to get 'Spoilers". I mean....seriously, that's common sense.
Easy tiger. We've been doing it this way for years. There's no reason her thread title has to indicate the final score. It's not really so hard to do...and for those of us who are at work or otherwise unable to watch the game in real time there's no reason we can't follow along the GDT to get others opinions on what happened during a goal, fight, etc. Why such condemnation?

Old
09-22-2011, 08:57 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I agree; I mean you should pretty much know that this is not the place to come if you've taped the game and not watched it yet. I tend to avoid any sports sites in general when I do that.
Yes, I avoid any site or channel where I might accidentally see the score. But as I've said, there are posters here who like to follow along in the GDT as we watch on delay. Leslie can simply hold off on indicating the score until the first post inside the thread. It's not so difficult. I don't see what the big uproar is. What's the harm in not putting the score in the title? We've been following that rule for years and everybody has been happy.

Old
09-22-2011, 09:17 AM
JimmyStart*

I dont mind either way with the spoiler issue but couldn't the title in the actual blog be one thing while the title of this thread is changed? or is it a situation where the second you post the blog and title it automatically posts the blog title as the thread title?

For instance if I write a Rangers blog on another site and wanted to post the link here I could easily just not give away the score in my thread title

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 09:20 AM
JimmyStart*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLU Hockey View Post
I agree; I mean you should pretty much know that this is not the place to come if you've taped the game and not watched it yet. I tend to avoid any sports sites in general when I do that.
You're stuck at work and you need your HF fix. No reason why you can't get it and go in non GDT threads. but if people post results in the title when they don't even have to then you can't even visit HF for non GDT threads.

Rangers 1st Pre-season Game Recap.

The scrimmage titles didn't say
Red Team wins 1st Scrimmage it just said Scrimmage 1. See the difference?

JimmyStart* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:43 AM
Grumpy Humphrey

vCash: 50
Those rosters ending up with that score, if I was a Devils fan I wouldn't even begin to be able to feel any sense of pride or accomplishment.

Listing the Rangers that will be on the roster that didn't play last night...it's pretty much the entire team.

Devils played most of their top six, and after their top six, they really don't have much. Rangers played who, Dubinsky and Anisimov? The addition of Richards, Gaborik, Wolski, Callahan, Prust, Rupp, Boyle, Fedotenko, Staal, Sauer, McDonagh, is undeniably a greater addition than...Urbom and Tedenby or whoever else.

Grumpy Humphrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:52 AM
BlueshirtBlitz
Rich Nash

Besides, who thought Larsson wouldn't make the Debs squad? What a joke of a defensive group.

BlueshirtBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 10:56 AM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz View Post
Besides, who thought Larsson wouldn't make the Debs squad? What a joke of a defensive group.
I mean let's not kid ourselves, Larsson looked very good last night. He would be in line for a job with pretty much ANY defense in the league (minus MAYBE LA or Nashville).

That kid looked like the real deal. Sucks he is a Devil but at least he will be a UFA at 25.

NYR Viper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:07 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post
I mean let's not kid ourselves, Larsson looked very good last night. He would be in line for a job with pretty much ANY defense in the league (minus MAYBE LA or Nashville).

That kid looked like the real deal. Sucks he is a Devil but at least he will be a UFA at 25.
Agreed - he looked great. He was doing what Erixon was doing in TC in last nights game. Very patient and smart with the puck. Hopefully Erixon just had some first game jitters.

haveandare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:09 AM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYR Boyler87 View Post

yes Larsson looked good....against what, kids who will be in juniors? hes been playing pro hockey since he was like 16....thats why Erixon looked so great at traverse city, but not nearly as great against Kovalchuk, Elias, and Parise. id be interested to see Larsson defending against a lineup that features our likely top line of Wolski-Richards-Gaborik...that would be interesting.

like i said, you cant really make any sort of assessment for either team really because it was so lopsided skill wise.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Levitate

It's preseason it really doesn't mean one thing either way for either team

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Chico Eats

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
Is anybody arguing that the Devils squad outplayed the Rangers squad? The argument is that almost a full NHL team just barely came away beating a team that had 4 NHLers on it. We get that they got more shots, that we didn't attack that much, etc. We had children playing against Parise and Kovalchuk. Taking it to OT is pretty impressive under the circumstances.
Someone said that the Devils did nothing impressive and would have been killed by your regular team. Taking it to OT was really impressive for the Rangers. Cam Talbot played a great game, so did Henrik.

The Devils had almost a full team, except we were missing a bunch of guys in our top 3 lines like Zubrus, Zajac, Tedenby, and maybe Adam Henrique if he doesn't screw up his opportunity. Everyone else you saw like Boulton, Zharkov, Pelley, Sykora, Bernier, Veillux and Janssen, are all competing for 4th line spots. Our 4th line is really up for grabs this year. We had half of our defense and none of our goalies. We only have 6 preseason games, and a new coach that needs to evaluate. We have to let our players play somehow.

Larsson had a shot at not making the big team right away. If he needed to adjust to the NHL and the small rink, there was a good chance Fayne and Taormina outplayed him to the point he should start in Albany and come to the NHL around November.

Chico Eats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:26 AM
Fitzy
All Is Well

vCash: 50
Discussion about the strength/weaknesses of the rosters, as well as relative performances of the teams is great.

Letting it get personal and having attacks to the effect of "Go back where you came from" is not.

Lets just keep the convo civil. Discussion between fanbases is good because it breaks the sort of groupthink that emerges on team boards.

Fitzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 11:37 AM
broadwayblue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
This. Even if the Devils have more regulars in the lineup they are just getting back into the swing of things, learning to skate for a new coach, playing with different linemates...etc. Did they have more talent on the ice...yes. Can we take anything significant away from the outcome...not really.

Old
09-22-2011, 11:54 AM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chico Eats View Post
Someone said that the Devils did nothing impressive and would have been killed by your regular team. Taking it to OT was really impressive for the Rangers. Cam Talbot played a great game, so did Henrik.

The Devils had almost a full team, except we were missing a bunch of guys in our top 3 lines like Zubrus, Zajac, Tedenby, and maybe Adam Henrique if he doesn't screw up his opportunity. Everyone else you saw like Boulton, Zharkov, Pelley, Sykora, Bernier, Veillux and Janssen, are all competing for 4th line spots. Our 4th line is really up for grabs this year. We had half of our defense and none of our goalies. We only have 6 preseason games, and a new coach that needs to evaluate. We have to let our players play somehow.

Larsson had a shot at not making the big team right away. If he needed to adjust to the NHL and the small rink, there was a good chance Fayne and Taormina outplayed him to the point he should start in Albany and come to the NHL around November.
My bad, I missed the beginning of the conversation I guess. I wouldn't say the Devils did nothing impressive - Kovalchuk had a few really nice moves and Kincaid played really well in the first. Honestly, I was expecting more beasting from Parise but it was only the first preseason game. The Rangers played a pretty bland game also I thought though it was more understandable given the talent differential. Erixon didn't look quite as eager to get the puck as he did in Traverse City, which was worrying, but McIlrath was solid on D which I wasn't really expecting - so it all balances out.

Larsson looked good I thought. His shot looked huge when he could fully connect. I don't know much about the situation but I'd imagine he's going to make the NHL team.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:48 PM
Inferno
HFB Partner

Quote:
My bad, I missed the beginning of the conversation I guess. I wouldn't say the Devils did nothing impressive - Kovalchuk had a few really nice moves and Kincaid played really well in the first. Honestly, I was expecting more beasting from Parise but it was only the first preseason game. The Rangers played a pretty bland game also I thought though it was more understandable given the talent differential. Erixon didn't look quite as eager to get the puck as he did in Traverse City, which was worrying, but McIlrath was solid on D which I wasn't really expecting - so it all balances out.

Larsson looked good I thought. His shot looked huge when he could fully connect. I don't know much about the situation but I'd imagine he's going to make the NHL team.
Kovalchuk had a few nice moves....Larsson looked good at times out there...sure...but they SHOULD have...i mean, i dont think ppl are recognizing just how HUGE the gap in skill was last night...and they won in OT....lol, im sorry but thats not impressive at all.

Inferno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Loffen
Wen Kroy

McI's hit on Boulton:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elwktq-7T1Y

Loffen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:16 PM
haveandare

Awesome hit. McIlrath was seriously impressive last night.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
Shadowtron

Quote:
Originally Posted by Levitate View Post
Lev, the Rangers could have lost a thumb wrestling match to the Devils and there'd be a 10 page argument about it!

Last edited by Shadowtron: 09-22-2011 at 02:49 PM.
Shadowtron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:52 PM
Riche16
Pessimistic-Realist

Quote:
Awesome hit. McIlrath was seriously impressive last night.

Awesome hit but staying on his feet after, and or getting control of the puck would have been impressive IMHO. Not nitpicking here, just calling it like I see it.

Riche16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 01:55 PM
Leslie Treff
Hockey's Future Staff

I was impressed with Larsson. And I thought that positionally Erixon was very good. He was timid at times and he was totally ineffective on the PP, but it was his first game. McIlrath looked really good toward the end of the game.

As for the titles of my blog entry, it automatically comes over to this site, about 10 minutes after I post to the blog. I understand about DVRing and will attempt to not give away the outcome in the title. Let's see how that works.

Leslie Treff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:00 PM
haveandare

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riche16 View Post
Awesome hit but staying on his feet after, and or getting control of the puck would have been impressive IMHO. Not nitpicking here, just calling it like I see it.
I don't think that was the impressive part of his game, but it was a good hit. He played solid defense against players that are way above his level for good stretches of the game - that was impressive.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:17 PM
Levitate

Quote:
Actually looked like Bolton grabbed his legs and tripped him after the hit so I can't really get on McIlrath for falling over

Levitate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Orr Nightmare

Quote:
Then you need glasses...because the kid shouldered a goon and sent him flying...Bolten grabbed his leg when he was trying to skate away.

Orr Nightmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:31 PM
offdacrossbar
with the 10th pick..

the funny thing about mcilrath is that with his size and strength, his best work will come when his gloves stay on and he isnt sitting in the box for 5 minutes.

once he learns to use that size and leverage to his advantage, he will have hunched over opposing forwards seeking the door to the bench. frequently.

sure he can fight, but do we really want him to ?

i think not.

offdacrossbar is offline   Reply With Quote