HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > Philadelphia Flyers
Notices

Tomáš Hyka (returned to his junior club, Gatineau, Sept. 22)

Old
09-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Jester

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by DUHockey9 View Post
Didn't intend to write it off entirely.

Just mean't it's not THE issue. I was speaking directly to the CBA misunderstanding(s).
See, I think they're kind of one in the same. Both are examples of this front office's lack of attention to detail.

Jester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:23 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jester View Post
See, I think they're kind of one in the same. Both are examples of this front office's lack of attention to detail.
I can appreciate that. They'd both fall under the same larger umbrella.

DUHockey9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:23 PM
BringBackStevens

That quote really makes their approach to the draft look entirely unprofessional. Forgot about him? Really?

Then, how do you make the jump from forgetting him and then remembering him at the last moment, only to go after someone else rated way lower on the board? It sounds like no one was prepared and they don't take the draft seriously beyond the early rounds

BringBackStevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:24 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoneFullHolmgren View Post
yeah its not like anyone gets overhyped

Matt Read
Jason Akeson

2 players some have penciled into the top 6.
By who?

The most I've seen is people penciling them in as the NINTH forward.

1 - Giroux

2 - Briere

3 - vanRiemsdyk

4 - Jagr

5 - Voracek

6- Hartnell

Oops. No number 9 there. Shall we keep going?

7 - Simmonds

8 - Schenn

9! - Read/Nodl/Wellwood/Akeson/whoever/whatever

There we go.

Not once have I ever seen any of those forwards penciled into the "top 6."

We don't really run a top 6 anyway, but if anyone thought that any of those listed at 9 are part of our best 6 forwards, they're pretty dumb.

That said, Hyka is not even better than them. He's not ready for NHL let alone AHL. He did some flashy things. He's a neat prospect. Hopefully we draft him next year.

Still, he should not be mentioned in the same breath as our other NHL-ready prospects. That, my friend, is what I mean by hype. We have a ton of NHL-ready kids. Why is everyone so over-infatuated with Hyka suddenly?

I think people care a lot more about Holmgren screwing up than Hyka himself honestly.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:26 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackStevens View Post
That quote really makes their approach to the draft look entirely unprofessional. Forgot about him? Really?

Then, how do you make the jump from forgetting him and then remembering him at the last moment, only to go after someone else rated way lower on the board? It sounds like no one was prepared and they don't take the draft seriously beyond the early rounds
Let's all just be thankful they didn't forget about Couturier when he fell to us.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:28 PM
CS
Bryzgalov's Blueline

Quote:

Like I said, I can honestly believe a front office CBA screw up, especially one the organization admits.

I can't however just believe that's how the draft went. I think they thought there might have been some issue with drafting Hyka, i.e. he was a risk never to play in NA.

For them to just conveniently "forget" him and then "remember" him in the 7th and then just not draft him all together just reeks of a lie.

CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:32 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Shafer View Post
Like I said, I can honestly believe a front office CBA screw up, especially one the organization admits.

I can't however just believe that's how the draft went. I think they thought there might have been some issue with drafting Hyka, i.e. he was a risk never to play in NA.

For them to just conveniently "forget" him and then "remember" him in the 7th and then just not draft him all together just reeks of a lie.
Why lie to make yourself look worse? Doesn't stack up.

Homer defenders just don't want to admit just how scatterbrained that ship is really run

Old
09-22-2011, 02:33 PM
Wud

People take whatever Holmgren says at face value and then call for his head.

Mr. Snyder will get right on that for you.

Wud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:35 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wud View Post
People take whatever Holmgren says at face value and then call for his head.

Mr. Snyder will get right on that for you.
Actually, most people think Homer is full of ****, too. These quotes, however, are not from Holmgren.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:37 PM
Jester

Quote:
Why lie to make yourself look worse? Doesn't stack up.

Homer defenders just don't want to admit just how scatterbrained that ship is really run
Yeah, generally people lie to make themselves look better. The correct "lie" in this case is that the team had qualms about drafting him and didn't want to use a pick on him, but were happy to have him in camp. That, however, doesn't really hold up as he was clearly draft eligible, and the fact that he was coming over to the CHL suggests he was more than interested in playing in North America.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:43 PM
Wud

Yeah, see I just don't understand being upset over the mis-management of some mid-level prospect at best. I'm 10x more upset over Walker and Shelley, and even that is pretty small compared to the big picture.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:49 PM
GentlemanOfLeisure
Ride Space Mountain

I'm a Devils fan but even I think Holmgren is a very good GM. He pretty much invented the trading for an upcoming FA's negotiating rights. Without that you may not have gotten Hartnell or Timmonen.

GentlemanOfLeisure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 02:52 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wud View Post
Yeah, see I just don't understand being upset over the mis-management of some mid-level prospect at best. I'm 10x more upset over Walker and Shelley, and even that is pretty small compared to the big picture.
Again, it's a pattern of being inept. Time and time again they fail to comprehend some aspect of the CBA.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:57 PM
Haute Couturier

Quote:

They definitely don't take it seriously when they waste picks on the likes of Klotz and Mathers.

Haute Couturier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:00 PM
Jester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertine View Post
They definitely don't take it seriously when they waste picks on the likes of Klotz and Mathers.
I'm not sure that suggests they don't take it seriously. What it definitely suggests is that their philosophy is bizarre to say the least.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:13 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

vCash: 155
Send a message via AIM to DrinkFightFlyers
Quote:
Yeah, generally people lie to make themselves look better. The correct "lie" in this case is that the team had qualms about drafting him and didn't want to use a pick on him, but were happy to have him in camp. That, however, doesn't really hold up as he was clearly draft eligible, and the fact that he was coming over to the CHL suggests he was more than interested in playing in North America.
Saying they forgot about him could mean many things. It could mean, quite literally that they forgot about him. But it could also mean that in the course of the NHL draft, which is very hectic just from an outsider's perspective of watching and probably more hectic than any of us actually realize, other player's names came up that they liked more than him so he kept falling down the board and was essentially "forgotten" about. It looks like in the seventh round when they "remembered" him, they made the mistake about the free agent signing and went with Mathers. Now I'm not saying that is exactly what happened, but it seems equally as possible as him just being "forgotten" about.

DrinkFightFlyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 03:18 PM
DUHockey9

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers View Post
Saying they forgot about him could mean many things. It could mean, quite literally that they forgot about him. But it could also mean that in the course of the NHL draft, which is very hectic just from an outsider's perspective of watching and probably more hectic than any of us actually realize, other player's names came up that they liked more than him so he kept falling down the board and was essentially "forgotten" about. It looks like in the seventh round when they "remembered" him, they made the mistake about the free agent signing and went with Mathers. Now I'm not saying that is exactly what happened, but it seems equally as possible as him just being "forgotten" about.
But even still, Jester's "correct lie" still applies in your scenario.

It's stupid to say you "forgot". You should say something like "we had him high on our boards but there were other guys we had higher."

Old
09-22-2011, 03:29 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:

It's stupid to say you "forgot". You should say something like "we had him high on our boards but there were other guys we had higher."
Eh, I don't think this "lie" is any worse than saying a different "lie." I mean, if my scenario is what happened, saying he was forgotten about amounts to the same. He could have said a lot of things in this situation, truth or otherwise.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:30 PM
Jester

Quote:

Yeah... you can tell the truth in that case.

We liked other players better, but were interested to have him in camp.

That being said, if you have someone on your board -- which they clearly did -- there's no excuse to "forget" about him.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:32 PM
Jester

Quote:
Eh, I don't think this "lie" is any worse than saying a different "lie." I mean, if my scenario is what happened, saying he was forgotten about amounts to the same. He could have said a lot of things in this situation, truth or otherwise.
Dude, the amateur scouting departments job is to manage the draft. That's LITERALLY all they're paid to worry about.

They should not be forgetting about players. Again, it's attention to detail and a problem that is on display. Assuming that they are telling the truth about forgetting he was still available.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:40 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
Dude, the amateur scouting departments job is to manage the draft. That's LITERALLY all they're paid to worry about.

They should not be forgetting about players. Again, it's attention to detail and a problem that on display. Assuming that they are telling the truth about forgetting he was still available.
I think you are misunderstanding what I said. I'm saying that Homer's quote of "forgetting" about him could simply mean that other players on the board or other needs stood out more during the draft and he was "forgotten" about. Not like someone took his name down and everyone suddenly forgot he existed. In their 4-6 rounds they took Sullentrop, Placek, and Noebles. Cousins in the Third. It's possible that he was higher than Sullentrop, Placek, and Noebles in the third round. Maybe Sullentrop they didn't think would be there and they drafted him. Then the next round they decided that Noebles was really a better player. Placek too. Then in the seventh round they made the mistake about signing him. Perhaps that is what Homer meant when he said the draft takes different directions and people get forgotten about. Of course not. That scenario is absurd. The only possible scenario is that the Flyers organization are a bunch of bumbling idiots. No way opinions could change or other people could be available. IT HAS TO BE THAT THEY ARE STUPID.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:51 PM
Wud

Quote:
Again, it's a pattern of being inept. Time and time again they fail to comprehend some aspect of the CBA.
Whatever, I guess you're entitled to drive yourself crazy over spilled milk.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:56 PM
BringBackStevens

Quote:
I think you are misunderstanding what I said. I'm saying that Homer's quote of "forgetting" about him could simply mean that other players on the board or other needs stood out more during the draft and he was "forgotten" about. Not like someone took his name down and everyone suddenly forgot he existed. In their 4-6 rounds they took Sullentrop, Placek, and Noebles. Cousins in the Third. It's possible that he was higher than Sullentrop, Placek, and Noebles in the third round. Maybe Sullentrop they didn't think would be there and they drafted him. Then the next round they decided that Noebles was really a better player. Placek too. Then in the seventh round they made the mistake about signing him. Perhaps that is what Homer meant when he said the draft takes different directions and people get forgotten about. Of course not. That scenario is absurd. The only possible scenario is that the Flyers organization are a bunch of bumbling idiots. No way opinions could change or other people could be available. IT HAS TO BE THAT THEY ARE STUPID.
You're really reaching with your definition of forgot

Old
09-22-2011, 04:01 PM
DrinkFightFlyers
Grave Before Shave

Quote:
You're really reaching with your definition of forgot
Haha how is that reaching? He said the draft takes different directions and guys get forgotten about. If that doesn't mean what I said, what would he have had to say to make my scenario reasonable?

Old
09-22-2011, 04:06 PM
Jester

Quote:
Do you really not recognize the intellectual hoola hoops you are jumping through to defend this... and maybe, just maybe, you should consider Occam's Razor?

And, btw, this wasn't homer, but an anonymous Flyers executive talking about this.

At the same time, as noted, you are essentially re-defining the meaning of the word "forgotten." If they liked other players betters, there's is NO REASON to not say that. Literally none.

However, once again, we need to go back and dwell on the fact that you just don't bother to read the actual crap that you're talking about. Again, to the article and the source and what he said:

Quote:
"By the time we realized he was still on the board it was the seventh round and we were debating between him and a big and tough kid (Derek Mathers) and we decided to draft the tough kid hoping we could get Hyka into camp as an undrafted kid. It worked out for us."
I look forward to your redefinition of how we should interpret "by the time we realized."