HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Rangers
Notices

PS #1 - 09.21.2011 | New Jersey Devils @ New York Rangers | 7:00 PM - MSG (HD)

Closed Thread

Old
09-22-2011, 12:46 PM
ColonialsHockey10

vCash: 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomobson View Post
well, if he gets the C next year he won't feel as much pressure. he'd have gotten used to it. nothing wrong with pushing these players little by little to see what we got.
Or they could have waited until he was totally comfortable in that level of competition and was able to handle the captaincy. Plenty of players were more experienced in TC and hockey in general that could have taken the C. Parlett, Bourque, Hagelin, etc.

Old
09-22-2011, 12:49 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I'm sorry, but with no disrespect intended, that pick should have been Fowler. MacIlrath will probably be a good player, but come on
You mean the kid who shies away from contact and looks like the next Tom Poti? The type of player Ranger fans heckle and run out of town? That type of player?

Poti
Malik
Redden

Old
09-22-2011, 12:50 PM
E-Train

Thought McIlrath looked good. Kid will be a physical monster after a couple more seasons developing. Has the talent to be a top 4 d-man with the enforcing skills of a bottom pair-7th type.

Last edited by E-Train: 09-22-2011 at 12:56 PM.
Old
09-22-2011, 12:52 PM
NYR Viper

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-Train View Post
Anyone know the deal with McNaught? Is he hurt? Don't know how Tayler Jordan was invited to camp and not McNaught. Looked to have decent skills for an enforcer at TC.

Dagoon, anyone?
I believe he signed an AHL contract and he missed most of last season with an injury. The Rangers may have felt it was better to shelter him a little bit by only bringing him into the AHL camp.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:04 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMantzas View Post
I'm sorry, but with no disrespect intended, that pick should have been Fowler. MacIlrath will probably be a good player, but come on
If we focus on potential and project that for both players, what I understand of NHL hockey tells me that what MacIlrath could become is far more rare and valuable to a team.

Let's look at Marc Staal or any of the Rangers top four and add the shear intimidation factor of what MacIlrath currently offers. What do you have? A significant improvement, no question.

I think he will fall some where in there.

You say MacIlrath will "probably" be a good player. The same could easily be said for Fowler. Nobody, not me you or anybody else knows for certain. You have an opinion, that's all. I suspect it's no more informed than mine.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:09 PM
Loffen
Legend

Old
09-22-2011, 01:20 PM
haveandare

I don't think Fowler would have been that solid on D with Kovalchuk bearing down on him. They're different players. A good shutdown D man who can intimidate anyone is a rare commodity in itself.

Old
09-22-2011, 01:36 PM
Pizza

Quote:
Originally Posted by haveandare View Post
I don't think Fowler would have been that solid on D with Kovalchuk bearing down on him. They're different players. A good shutdown D man who can intimidate anyone is a rare commodity in itself.
What I'm saying essentially.

Given the choice between the two, knowing what we know today, I think they made the right one.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:38 PM
t3hg00se

Send a message via AIM to t3hg00se
Patience will be the key with McIlrath

and that patience will pay off.

Old
09-22-2011, 02:43 PM
PawelW007

McIllrath looked more ready then Erixon, sorry to screw up everyones Erixon love also, Ryan Bourque looks like the young gun who should make this team, regardless of the other young guys' skillsets

Old
09-22-2011, 03:27 PM
John Torturella

Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
McIllrath looked more ready then Erixon, sorry to screw up everyones Erixon love also, Ryan Bourque looks like the young gun who should make this team, regardless of the other young guys' skillsets
Hard to say so, especially after one preseason game. Even harder to say so if you watched the prospects tournament. At this point Erixon is a better hockey player than McIlrath, regardless of one game.

Old
09-22-2011, 03:44 PM
Mikos87

I'd say this was a pretty good game overall. These Rangers sure look very different from the Renney era Rangers, both the kids and pros skated very well given the condition of the ice.

Some of the denfensmen played a pretty uneven game when it came to positioning. Del Zotto was all over the place, especially when he was paired with Eminger, but those two skated very well, did a poor job of getting the puck out the zone four times on the OT goal, although Eminger looked like he had two brain farts on the break out. DZ should've either dumped it after the first mishap or skated it out.

Del Zotto also got into the rush a little to aggressively with the wrong personnel on the ice as well, but otherwise he was pretty good.

Brenden Bell played a mistake free game, as did Girardi, but Bell has to become a little more acclimated with our system, you could tell he has been playing in a very conservative system the last couple of years.

McIlrath started off a little shaky, but as his confidence and comfort level grew, I really really liked what I saw. He fell a couple of times, but it looked like he lost his edge, he definitely wasn't muscled off. Made tough, firm and heady play after play after first in the defensive zone. Handled the puck much better than he did at TC, and got in deep into the offensive once or twice when he should've been retreating, but the man (he certainly doesn't play like a kid) from Manitoba is fearless. I loved how he started to play like he owned the front of the net by chasing guys around, hitting them and you could see guys backing off and giving him room. Played his angles very well when he was lined up against Kovalchuk and Parise. He looked like he enjoyed the challenge. Still needs to fill out, had some moments of sloppy footwork, while he was very good with chipping pucks, dumping it in, and making tape to tape passes. He could stand to work on making area passes, and deciding when to slap it, snap it, or wrist it.

Erixon wasn't noticeable, and I say that as a compliment, did not make mistakes, had a miscue or two with a teammate, but he didn't make much happen with the puck on his stick like I was expecting. Displayed a soft touch with the puck, but he also seemed a little uncomfortable, unlike his former teammate in Larsson who looked like the complete package. His frame looks small in comparison to the big boys too. If we were talking about a guy who is going to go out there and give you solid minutes, not make mistakes, and be a no. 5 or 6 guy, then Erixon shined more than Eminger, but we are all expecting more I think. He didn't get a chance to show much on the PP either, so I think he'll play better and better as camp goes along.

JT Miller impressed, his conditioning isn't that of a peak athlete yet, but he was smart, aggressive, and very impressive. Skated well, he does have a little bit of a choppy stride, but that can be fixed, shot needs work, but he is a very adept passer, created turnovers, made room for himself and his teammates, displayed a lot of poise with the puck. He is a nice mixture of skill and will, hopefully gets some more games in. Much closer to the NHL than I thought, he's got some things to work on, but given the will he's shown and the smarts, I think they remedy themselves quickly. He is going to be a good one.

Christian Thomas looked frustrated out there, but once he was ticked he started to hustle more, and that is what he is going to need to do at the pro level. Unlike in juniors where he was set up easily and often, Thomas is going to need to generate chances for himself by getting in on the forecheck and creating turnovers. That's the difference between a Jeff Skinner and a Pavel Brendl. The former sniper makes things happen, the latter just waits for the puck to find him in an opportune spot. One makes his luck happen, the other waits till he gets lucky. He has the hands and a nice skill set, but physically he has got to become a little stronger, and display a little more hunger.

Hagelin skated very well, but the comparison for Sjostrom is fitting for now, hell you could say he looked like Matt Gilroy as a forward, skated right up the boards threw the puck towards the net. I did like his hustle and how quickly he got on pucks, but he didn't make much happen afterwards. Needs to be a little more patient, hold on to the puck and wait for a play to open up. I'll chalk it up to nerves, but he also needs to learn to be a little shifty, change up gears, and add a little flair to his game.

Last edited by Mikos87: 09-22-2011 at 03:49 PM.
Old
09-22-2011, 04:14 PM
PawelW007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korpicowski View Post
Hard to say so, especially after one preseason game. Even harder to say so if you watched the prospects tournament. At this point Erixon is a better hockey player than McIlrath, regardless of one game.
I did watch all the traverse city games, I think McIllrath looks more ready. Not saying Erixon looks bad, but Erixon seems to be a bit apprehensive with everyuthing he does. McIllrath looks more natural. Plus I'm not going to lie, I like physical play over a finesse D-man, personal bias.

McIllrath took command @ Traverse, he looks natural out there , Erixon doesn't. I don't know if its confidence, different styles of play, or what but just what Ive observed.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:34 PM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Outshot 42-21. Makes sense as it was Devil's A-squad against Rangers B-squad. Hank and Talbot played great. Looking forward to a reversal in roles tomorrow. I hope they light up Brodeur/Hedberg and get Devils fans to start questioning their 38.5 year old goalie tandem.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:46 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptCally View Post
Outshot 42-21. Makes sense as it was Devil's A-squad against Rangers B-squad. Hank and Talbot played great. Looking forward to a reversal in roles tomorrow. I hope they light up Brodeur/Hedberg and get Devils fans to start questioning their 38.5 year old goalie tandem.
I'm sorry but why would Devils fans question the goalies? Would you question Henrik if he gave up 3 goals last night? I absolutely wouldn't considering the disparity in the squads and the case will be the same tomorrow night.

Old
09-22-2011, 04:51 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basement Cat View Post
I'm sorry but why would Devils fans question the goalies? Would you question Henrik if he gave up 3 goals last night? I absolutely wouldn't considering the disparity in the squads and the case will be the same tomorrow night.
For me personally, there is no reason to question any goalies in preseason really--especially the ones that are no question the #1 starter for their team.

But for me tomorrow is the principle that the yesterday the Devils basically threw out their A or B'ish squad while we basically had our C squad out there.

This time we have quite a bit of our starters and I'm assuming NJ won't have as many. We should win this game not to hurt Brodeur's feelings but because we should be throwing out more talent.

09-22-2011, 04:57 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
For me personally, there is no reason to question any goalies in preseason really--especially the ones that are no question the #1 starter for their team.

But for me tomorrow is the principle that the yesterday the Devils basically threw out their A or B'ish squad while we basically had our C squad out there.

This time we have quite a bit of our starters and I'm assuming NJ won't have as many. We should win this game not to hurt Brodeur's feelings but because we should be throwing out more talent.
Completely agree with you. Good luck to you guys and you should win. We'll be in the position that you guys were in last night, hoping for an upset so that we can "brag" (how much can you really brag about preseason?).

Old
09-22-2011, 04:59 PM
New York RKY
Let's Go Rangers!

Quote:
Completely agree with you. Good luck to you guys and you should win. We'll be in the position that you guys were in last night, hoping for an upset so that we can "brag" (how much can you really brag about preseason?).
Even if we lose I feel like I would have won because I FINALLY get to see Brad dawn Ranger's blue

Old
09-22-2011, 05:08 PM
Basement Cat
RIP Loko

Quote:
Originally Posted by New York RKY View Post
Even if we lose I feel like I would have won because I FINALLY get to see Brad dawn Ranger's blue
Haha well you get to see him play and I get to hope that he ends up like Gomer (obviously doubtful, but the key word is HOPE!).

Nevertheless, our sport is back!

Old
09-22-2011, 05:10 PM
nyr2k2
Can't Beat Him

Awards:
Quote:
Originally Posted by PawelW007 View Post
I did watch all the traverse city games, I think McIllrath looks more ready. Not saying Erixon looks bad, but Erixon seems to be a bit apprehensive with everyuthing he does. McIllrath looks more natural. Plus I'm not going to lie, I like physical play over a finesse D-man, personal bias.

McIllrath took command @ Traverse, he looks natural out there , Erixon doesn't. I don't know if its confidence, different styles of play, or what but just what Ive observed.
Tim Erixon is hardly a finesse player.

It's just pain.
Old
09-22-2011, 05:11 PM
BrianBoyle
Nash goes HAM

vCash: 300
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyr2k2 View Post
Tim Erixon is hardly a finesse player.
Seriously. He isn't overly physical, but he's far from "graceful" out there - he isn't afraid to lay anyone out or go in front of the net.

Neutral Milk Hotel are literally GOAT
Amy Poehler <3

Credit to Ail for the sig.
Old
09-23-2011, 12:42 AM
RangerBlue62
Smoothies! Who's in?

Quote:
Ummm.... he didn't. This is taking into consideration the disparity in squads on Wednesday. He got peppered with shots, and looks to be in midseason form based on training camp and this first preseason game. If Marty lets up 5 there will be a meltdown on the debbies board.

Having two goalies over 38 is not a situation I would want my team to be in. Kinkaid did look good though.

Closed Thread