HFBoards

Go Back   HFBoards > NHL Eastern Conference > Metropolitan Division > New York Islanders
Mobile Hockey's Future Become a Sponsor Site Rules Support Forum vBookie Page 2
Notices

NINO points projection

Old
09-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Tavaresfan91

vCash: 500
NINO points projection

how many points will he put up if he

A) plays 1st line with Moulson and JT

B) plays with comeau and bailey

c) plays another year of juniors

Tavaresfan91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:47 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tavaresfan91 View Post
how many points will he put up if he

A) plays 1st line with Moulson and JT

B) plays with comeau and bailey

c) plays another year of juniors

A- 21- 20- 41

B- 17- 15- 32

C- 52- 28- 80

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 05:48 PM
SLAPSHOT723
Johnny Rockets

Moulson and JT- 24G 28A 52pts
Bailey and Comeau- 16G 20A 36pts
Portland- 52G 35A 87pts

SLAPSHOT723 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:04 PM
Dutch Frost
Battle Level

he wins rookie of the year and beats Grabners stats last season.. 40 goals and 38 assists and is even considered a Hart Trophy finalist.

YOU HEARD IT HERE FOLKS!!!!

Dutch Frost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:12 PM
islesfan3991

vCash: 740
Send a message via Yahoo to islesfan3991
A: 23-30-53
B:17-24-41
C:52-36-88

islesfan3991 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-22-2011, 06:12 PM
StrongIslanders90

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post
he wins rookie of the year and beats Grabners stats last season.. 40 goals and 38 assists and is even considered a Hart Trophy finalist.

That can only mean JT has a Monster season and we Make the playoffs.....so I hope your rite!!!

StrongIslanders90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:08 AM
rocketxav9

what are the chances he stays with the team all season ?

rocketxav9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:34 AM
Macch

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketxav9 View Post
what are the chances he stays with the team all season ?

The Islanders are finally at the point where roster spots are earned and not given. Its early but Nino hasn't really shown me anything that would warrant him top-6 mins in the NHL. And if he can't outright win a top 6 spot the Islanders should send him back to juniors.

Its not a bad thing if Nino doesn't make the Islanders. I see it being a good thing.

Macch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:46 AM
MikeyMike01*
Hurray

Send a message via AIM to MikeyMike01* Send a message via MSN to MikeyMike01*
If PA Freaking Parenteau can get 20-33-53 playing on that line, Nino should be able to get at least that.

MikeyMike01* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:58 AM
redbull
game on

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutch Frost View Post

i believe 50 goals and 110 pts in portland...not kidding.

i don't think he's best suited for the NHL this year

redbull is online now   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 02:31 AM
OlTimeHockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post
The Islanders are finally at the point where roster spots are earned and not given. Its early but Nino hasn't really shown me anything that would warrant him top-6 mins in the NHL. And if he can't outright win a top 6 spot the Islanders should send him back to juniors.

Its not a bad thing if Nino doesn't make the Islanders. I see it being a good thing.
And possibly a great thing. If he's mentally tough enough next season, he'll show it in that preseason. But he still has time to show he belongs THIS preseason.....and that he can outscore PA Parenteau. I don't see it happening, though. Power forwards do take a while longer to develop. Much more hockey to their game than a finesse guy or a two way guy. They have to hit, score and dominate the zones. Nino can but isn't doing it yet.

But, as with any promising prospect, no one wants to wait. I hope to not have to. There is a difference in that. If he needs to end up in Portland, I hope to Hell he goes there.

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 02:49 AM
Isles Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Macch View Post

So do I and while Rolston wasn't exactly the upgrade I had in mind, he'll be a solid contributor. I've been in favor of Nino going back down for a while.

anyway

1st line - 18-22-40 (JT will bang home TONS of Ninos shots)
3rd line - 15-15-30
WHL - 52-37-89

Isles Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 08:18 AM
seafoam

vCash: 446
I thought he was a pure LW?

seafoam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:02 AM
Bauer Warrior*

He didn't like going back to junior last year. And I really didn't like his game in the WJC. My hope is that he doesn't feel a sense of entitlement, because it's quite possible that he goes back to Portland again. I haven't been able to see any games this pre-season, but as stated by other posters, he's really got to earn a spot. And if he doesn't get one, he has to realize that there are things that he needs to work on. At this point, it's a tremendous mistake for fans to expect miracles from him. Based on what I read about yesterday's game, he and Tavares have limited or no chemistry.

Bauer Warrior* is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:11 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
If PA Freaking Parenteau can get 20-33-53 playing on that line, Nino should be able to get at least that.
P.A. is a right handed playmaker. Nino is a left handed sniper. I think Nino will end up on the second line with Bailey. Bailey reminds me more of his junior centerman Ryan Johansen, big playmaking center. JT is a playmaker but can shoot, dangle, and rip one timers.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Halakness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauer Warrior View Post
He didn't like going back to junior last year. And I really didn't like his game in the WJC. My hope is that he doesn't feel a sense of entitlement, because it's quite possible that he goes back to Portland again. I haven't been able to see any games this pre-season, but as stated by other posters, he's really got to earn a spot. And if he doesn't get one, he has to realize that there are things that he needs to work on. At this point, it's a tremendous mistake for fans to expect miracles from him. Based on what I read about yesterday's game, he and Tavares have limited or no chemistry.
After watching the game last night, I'm not sure how the line of MM-JT-Nino works. They're all slow, they all go to the front of the net. They're all looking to do the same thing. The line needs to lose Moulson. Put Nino at lw and a quicker playmaking right wing is needed. That player is unfortunately PAP. This shouldn't happen this year IMO. Keep the top line what it was last year. Nino goes back to Portland. He's too immature mentally too deal with a goal slump. Thus destroying confidence and crippeling his development like bailey.

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:17 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
After watching the game last night, I'm not sure how the line of MM-JT-Nino works. They're all slow, they all go to the front of the net. They're all looking to do the same thing. The line needs to lose Moulson. Put Nino at lw and a quicker playmaking right wing is needed. That player is unfortunately PAP. This shouldn't happen this year IMO. Keep the top line what it was last year. Nino goes back to Portland. He's too
immature mentally too deal with a goal slump. Thus destroying confidence and crippeling his development like bailey.
Or just keep JT and MM together and pop Strome on the RW when ready.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:32 AM
Halakness Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaStromey View Post
Or just keep JT and MM together and pop Strome on the RW when ready.
While I like the idea of strome and JT playing together. I just don't feel like moulson is a top line talent. I know he scored 60 goals his first two years in the organization...I know. He couldve done that with second line minutes too. The way he plays the game in front of the net is going to get him goals regardless of linemates.

Halakness Monster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 09:40 AM
seafoam

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYI94wasaFLUKE9 View Post
While I like the idea of strome and JT playing together. I just don't feel like moulson is a top line talent. I know he scored 60 goals his first two years in the organization...I know. He couldve done that with second line minutes too. The way he plays the game in front of the net is going to get him goals regardless of linemates.
That is one way of looking at it. I like when there is three balanced lines rather than a potent first line and average second and third line. Kinda like Kunitz with Crosby.

Old
09-25-2011, 09:50 AM
Mr Islander

They could also start him on the fourth line. Let him get his feet wet, acclimated to the speed of the game, hitting, and defensive play. Pairing him up with a vet like Reasoner might be good at the start. Starting on the fourth line would relieve pressure. Then as the season goes along and he gains more experience, slowly put him into the power forward role on the scoring lines, when they need a power forward or a big guy in the crease. They could always have the option of moving him back to the fourth line at any time, or have him watch games from upstairs if needed.

Only thing is wouldn't want him to have to get into fights if he's paired on a line with Gilles/Martin.

Mr Islander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:14 PM
startainfection

all season with jt and moulson - top 3 in calder voting
bailey and comeau - 45 points
juniors, if johansen also plays - 90 points

startainfection is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:38 PM
Sidney the Kidney
Beastmode Penguins

vCash: 1113
I think some folks are underestimating just how difficult it is for rookies to put up points in the NHL. Some folks are forecasting similar numbers to what John Tavares put up in his rookie year, and Tavares was much more of an offensive talent coming out of junior than Niederreiter.

To answer the OP, I think something like the following is a bit more realistic, given the combination of Nino's offensive ability, the fact powerforward types take a bit longer to develop, and how hard it is for rookies to put up big numbers.

With Tavares -- 18 to 20 goals, 18 to 20 assists
On the third line -- 10 to 13 goals, 13 to 16 assists
In Portland -- 45 to 50 goals, 30 to 35 assists

As for the Parenteau scoring 50+ points and thus Nino should easily do it too argument, the thing is while Parenteau does have quite a number of flaws, the one thing he's actually polished at is his offensive skills. Nino may be a better all around player than Parenteau, but when it comes to pure offensive talent *at this point in time*, Parenteau is ahead in the development curve.

That's not a knock on Nino or a commentary on his potential, because we're talking about the comparison of a 19 year old kid with a player who is smack dab right in the prime of his career. Parenteau's ceiling is probably what we saw last year, whereas Nino at 19 might be less than that, but Nino in his prime is likely much better than that.

Sidney the Kidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 12:43 PM
John TavArt Ross

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeyMike01 View Post
My thoughts exactly. I'd put him near the 30 goal mark if he gets PA's exact shifts last year.

John TavArt Ross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 03:24 PM
OlTimeHockey

Another thing ignored: Nino might click far better with Bailey or Nielson than Tavares.

And Parenteau might click far better with JT and Moulson than even Grabner or Strome would.

It's a bit more complex assembling bodies to play with one another. Sometimes there are natural fits and natural misses and PA has shown he fits. Let's just hope he improves his stickhandling because he apparently only works well with JT and Nino thus far hasn't impressed.

(and FYI, I think Strome will work exponentially better in time; but he's not ready)

OlTimeHockey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old
09-25-2011, 04:01 PM
LAIslanderFan

If Nino makes the team, who will be the odd man out?

Tavares-Moulson-PAP
Nielson-Grabner-Okposo
Ralson-Comeau-Bailey
Reasoner-Martin-Haley

Do we sit Haley and have Nino play 4th line minutes?

Getting a little off topic, where does Strome go next year?

Getting a little more off topic, DeHaan hasn't lived up to expectations thus far (admittedly defensemen take longer to develop and he's still young), should we have selected a defensemen in the first round this year, instead of Stome?

Just some topics to discuss in between exhibition games.

LAIslanderFan is offline   Reply With Quote